Winter Running Wardrobe… Florida Edition

by Meghann on November 26, 2013

Truth: I live in Florida and it rarely dips below 50 degrees in the winter. However, there are the rare days that it does get below freezing or I travel somewhere new and decide it would be fun to run with snow on the ground (I have a pretty sick idea of what fun is, right?). On those occasions I tend to be a bit comical when it comes to what’s appropriate to wear for those rare cold runs.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

That’s my personal favorite. I was so lost in the cold that I kept my toss away layer on the entire 4 mile run. Brrr..

It’s true, living in Florida means I rarely run in the cold, but that doesn’t mean it never happens. I bought my first pair of running tights on sale at an expo a few years ago. I didn’t know what to look for so I bought the cheapest pair and ended up hating them. They were thin and had a funny band on top that dug into me. I wore them a couple of times, but never liked them.

A new pair of good running tights have been on my wish list for a while, so when Brooks running offered to send me a pair of either running tights or capris to run in this winter, I opted for the running tights. Specifically the Women’s Infiniti Tights III.

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 8.41.09 PM.png

As soon as I put the Infinity Tights on, I could feel the difference. Besides the cozy extra thickness to them, the wide band on top held me at all the right places, creating less muffin top and more smooth curves. I also appreciated the way they hugged my calves. I was really comfortable in them. Instead of feeling like running tights, I felt like I was wearing regular ole leggings. You could have put a pair of boots on me and an extra large sweater and I would have been good for the day.

20131126_203838.jpg

The Infiniti Tights are designed for climates 40 to 65 F, so they’re a perfect winter running piece for this Florida girl. They’re predicting temps in the high 30s for my Turkey Trot on Thursday. You better believe I’ll be wearing these bad boys.

I paired the running tights with the Women’s Utopia Softshell II.

3aebde2432b511e3b0b222000ab5c094_7.jpg

How cute is this jacket? I love the plaid pattern and the thumbholes (you can’t go wrong with thumbholes). It’s also windproof, water-resistant, and made of breathable fabric.

The best part is the jacket isn’t just for running. It’s also great for when you’re just plain freezing. The jacket kept me nice and warm while I was in Panama City earlier this month.

IMG_2017.JPG IMG_2018.JPG

It’s a shell, so it’s a great layering piece to pair with thicker tops in case the temp really drops.

I can’t wait to rock the tights and jacket for my Turkey Trot on Thursday.

What are some of your winter wardrobe basics?

1 Becky @ Olives n Wine November 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I love Ellie’s leggings to pair with sweaters on cold days! You’re so lucky Florida stays so warm! I always take a brief running hiatus in January and February because it’s so cold in Chicago.
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..#12 Treat Yourself Tuesday

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm

So cute! Lately I’ve been trying to build my outfits around wearing my workout leggings, they’re just so comfy I can’t help myself! 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..6 Tips to Get Out the Door for an Early Morning Workout

3 Diana November 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I have seen this jacket and the capris at my gym. Every time I go, I swoon over this specific pattern. I love the plaid!

4 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs November 26, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Oh man I wish I lived in Florida! It gets much too cold in Ontario (Canada) for my running outside in winter taste!

Love that jacket — it’s so cute!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Tuesday Things

5 Caroline November 26, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Ha. I love the fact that the tights are for 40-65…what a difference location makes! And don’t worry even thought I’m used to the cold I still tend to look ridiculous going out for runs in the early morning – I figure as long as I stay warm it doesn’t matter what I look like! That being said, does anyone have suggestions for good tights and especially tops/jackets for winter (read: cold and snowy Maine) running? Preferably on the less expensive end, but quality is most important. I’m especially looking for some sort of top that is wind/water proof/resistant for snowy mornings…do you think the jacket above fits the bill/does anyone have suggestions? thanks 🙂

6 Margaret November 26, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Love the jacket!

40 – 65 degrees for the tights?! It doesn’t often get super cold where I am (Oregon – it’s been in the 20s at night the past week and sooooo freezing!, but I don’t need more than capris and a long-sleeve tee shirt until 35 or 40 degrees.
Margaret recently posted..If I Told You, I’d Have to Kill You

7 Laura November 27, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I’m with you! I don’t break out the running tights until it’s below 40 out. I can’t imagine wearing them in 60+ degree weather!
Laura recently posted..Grandma’s Perfect Apple Pie

8 Angela November 26, 2013 at 9:57 pm

When it’s that cold out I prefer the treadmill. 🙂 And since I’m in Oregon it’s that cold alllllll the time!
Angela recently posted..November Swap Feature

9 Monica November 26, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Super cute! Thank you for sharing! I’ve been looking for new cute workout clothes since lululemon has become so… unfortunate. Brooks FTW!

10 Andrea November 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm

No idea! The temps for my race on Thursday are supposed to be at the freezing mark. I’m going to have to scramble to find something!
Andrea recently posted..Weekly Recap- November 18-24

11 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 26, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I just layer layer layer! I always buy my long sleeve shirts a size bigger than normal so that I can fit many layers underneath! Works for me!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Week Two Running Test

12 Amanda November 27, 2013 at 6:01 am

I just bought a new pair of Brooks tights (utopia thermal) because my first pair of tights are thin….and the waistband bites. Ah lessons learned. They’re predicting 25* and snowing for our trot tomorrow! Gah.

13 [email protected] November 27, 2013 at 7:10 am

I love those two pieces, they’re so cute. I definitely find good running leggings to be a necessity in the colder months
[email protected] recently posted..Cranberry Sauce (Not From a Can!!!)

14 Melissa November 27, 2013 at 7:56 am

Very cute and stylish! Ahh, so lucky that in the winter the temperature doesn’t dip below 50 degrees. I really wish that were the case here in Pennsylvania!
Melissa recently posted..Friday of a Different Color

15 Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health November 27, 2013 at 8:15 am

Nothing makes me happier than some cute and comfy leggings… especially for running! I seriously get discouraged from running in the cold because I am not prepped with good running gear for the cold weather. These tights and the jacket both seem perfect.. and they are cute! 🙂
Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health recently posted..From Working Out to Not Working Out

16 Lesley November 27, 2013 at 8:24 am

A good pair of tights can last for years. It does get cold in Texas so I’ve kept the tights I’ve had since Boston, and they certainly come in handy. Good luck in the turkey trot.
Lesley recently posted..WDW Half Marathon Costume

17 Laura November 27, 2013 at 8:35 am

I just did post about my first cold weather run of the season and what I wore-check it out!

I like to do layers so I have the option to remove them if I get too hot. I’m always cold so I tend to over dress for cold weather.
Laura recently posted..First Cold Weather Run

18 Rob Runs November 27, 2013 at 9:24 am

I live in Maryland, my winter wardrobe is pretty much the same as my summer one though. Capris all year round, I have one pair of pants that I think I’ve worn twice when it’s been below freezing and super windy. I will throw on a jacket but it comes off most times and I just run in my t-shirt (and usually gloves). The best thing I have, though, is Mizuno Breath Thermo socks. I wear those usually when it’s below 30 and my feet actually stay warm warm, not even like not-cold, for reals warm!

19 [email protected] for Cake November 27, 2013 at 9:32 am

Being a Floridian myself, I love that you did a post on this. It’s not always 800 hundred degrees here ? When its colder, I like to wear my lululemon tights with a short sleeved shirt with a tank under. Layering is key ?

20 egb November 27, 2013 at 10:18 am

Ooh, those tights look great. Living in GA, I completely agree about our ‘winters’. Those look perfect!
egb recently posted..We’re going streaking!

21 Caitlin November 27, 2013 at 10:24 am

I LOVE that jacket! I don’t run but my mom does and we live in CT. She says she cannot run without gloves and an earband to keep her ears and hands warm. That’s the hardest part to keep warm!
Caitlin recently posted..Gymdoll Fitness Apparel Giveaway!

22 Meghan November 27, 2013 at 11:20 am

Wow that whole outfit is super beyond cute! I love it!!!
Meghan recently posted..Day 2

23 Alyssa November 27, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I’m actually really disappointed with Brooks tights. I’m 100% loyal to them for shoes, and I have a Brooks jacket/shirts I love, but I bought their tights last year and they constantly sag and are so uncomfortable. So sad.
Alyssa recently posted..Life keeps me humble

24 joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm

This is so timely for me! I need to get some warmer running clothes for running in San Diego in the early mornings now, where the weather is similar to FL I think. I was still living in DC last winter, so my cold weather running clothes are bit TOO warm for San Diego…
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Training Plan For Running 2 Half Marathons 5 Weeks Apart

25 Stephanie @ Cat Lady Runs November 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I’ve been wanting that jacket but feel I won’t get enough use out of it in Florida to justify the cost. Maybe it will make its way onto my Christmas list…
Stephanie @ Cat Lady Runs recently posted..Running in St. Augustine and an Irrational Fear

26 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose November 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I do love that jacket! Clearwater 10k? I’ll be there! 10k! Freezing my booty off and probably looking like your top 2 pics;)
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..VEGAS

27 Amanda Elizabeth November 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Those Infiniti tights look like they would be really comfortable! Cheers! Dropping in from a local Tampa Blogger!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving! Healthy Recipes and Black Friday Deals