Tales from the Weekend

by Meghann on November 24, 2013

Is the weekend really over already? It went way too fast, as always.

This was the first weekend in a long time where I didn’t have to travel, fit in 10+ hours of training, or do anything crazy. My only goal was to relax and enjoy the weekend. I could do that.

Friday night we had a Thanksgiving themed book club at my house and I’m kicking myself for not taking any photos. We had a full house with all 7 book club members in attendance, and every dish that was brought was fabulous. I made a 3.5 lb turkey breast and cornbread casserole; there was also homemade cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese, green bean casserole, pumpkin tarts for dessert, and lots of good wine.

Not to mention the fabulous company. This month we read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, which led to some very interesting conversations about life and death. It was a really great book, I highly recommend it. Just be warned that it is a tear jerker.

It was nice to spend such a relaxing evening with the girls. There’s nothing better than a great group of girlfriends and I’m very lucky to have a great group in my life.

Saturday morning Maddie and I went for a 5K around the neighborhood. It was nice not having to wake up at the butt crack of dawn or feel the rush to get out the door. We took our time getting ready and were both very casual on the run. I think Maddie could sense the slower approach and even took more time than usual sniffing her favorite trees and marking her territory along the way.

The free Saturday meant we finally had time to visit Nate and Callie (I know, we’re terrible friends for letting a year pass between visits!).

Plus, we had a very special occasion to celebrate – Little Miss Athlete was turning 1!

IMG_2291.jpg

How freaking adorable is she?!

IMG_2342.jpg IMG_2343.jpg

I told Callie that I was going to buy Little Miss a drum set for her birthday. She laughed, then promptly told me paybacks are a bitch. Touché. I was joking, of course, but when Derek sent me a photo of the light up drum set at Target, I knew it was perfect.

It’s the “mommy friendly” drum set.

After eating cupcakes, playing with the kids, and catching up with our friends, Derek and I headed home to watch this…

1459851_10103844359210173_1935299707_n.jpg

Hellz yeah! Go Noles!

Sunday was another day of sleeping in and easy running. This time I maxed out at 4 miles (my longest run in 2 weeks!) and I am happy to report my foot is feeling good.

Derek and I made pancakes for breakfast, which I enjoyed with a side of a Hallmark Christmas movie and coffee in a snowflake mug.

0037c632551311e39c460a49fba44725_8.jpg

Can you feel it? Christmas is coming!!

Sunday also included an afternoon at the movies for Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

hunting_game_3.jpg

Holy moly! So much better than I was expecting. Admittedly, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first movie (huge fan of the book, though). The second one was so much better, definitely kept me on the edge of my seat and it was fun to watch my friend who hadn’t read the books react to the movie. I kept wanting to say “don’t worry! he’s a good guy!”

After watching the Divergent trailer during the previews, I immediately downloaded the book when I got home. My sister is a huge fan of the series and has been raving about it for months, but it was the trailer that put me over the edge to finally download it. The same thing happened with Hunger Games. I didn’t download the series until I saw the trailer, then ended up falling in love with the books. I’m always a step behind with popular book series… or maybe I just like holding off jumping on the bandwagons until they make movies out of them?

All in all, it was a great, relaxing weekend. I’m looking forward to the short week and holiday weekend coming up! Who’s ready for turkey? I am! I am!

How was your weekend? Do anything fun?

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs November 24, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Sounds like a great weekend! Glad you finally got a chance to relax 🙂

I put up my Christmas tree & decorations today while watching “Elf”, and I don’t even feel bad — Christmas is coming! 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Links

2 Danielle @ Its A Harleyyy Life November 24, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I saw Catching Fire this weekend as well! I lovedddddd it! I haven’t read the books but this movie definitely made my top 10 list! SOOOOO GOOOD!

3 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 24, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Hahaha I watched that exact Hallmark Christmas movie this afternoon as well! It is coming up on that time where I watch way too many cheesy Christmas movies 🙂
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Recap: 11/18 – 11/24

4 Rebecca W. November 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Um, I watched Netflix all weekend? Okay, mostly today, really.

(FYI, for those nostalgically inclined, the entirety of the Babysitter’s Club series is on Netflix Instant. You’re welcome.)

Random question, Meghann — what kind of iPad case is that?

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 24, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Divergent is awesome! I actually think I might like it better than The Hunger Games (although I change my mind about that quite often.).
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Start Spreading The News

6 Jen November 24, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Divergent was good, but the first book was definitely the pinnacle of the series. I can’t wait to see Catching Fire. There is much more material there than in Hunger Games. The first one primarily focused on the actual “Games” and really kind of served to set up the world in which the characters existed. I’m glad to hear Catching Fire was more entertaining!
Jen recently posted..Another Project Brewing?

7 Allison k November 25, 2013 at 12:21 am

As an Idaho alum, I would like to say thank you for all the money FSU paid us for that win. 😉

8 Steph November 25, 2013 at 12:28 am

My weekend was glorious! Taco Bus on Friday night, Dirty Girl and Cigar City on Saturday, house cleaning, cooking and meeting new baby cousins on Sunday!
Steph recently posted..How to make friends (and not get hashtagged #Targetstalker)

9 Eve November 25, 2013 at 1:27 am

Love love loved Catching Fire!! I did enjoy the first movie, but this was even better! Jennifer Lawrence rocked. I’m totally on Team Peeta, and the actor finally seemed to do that role justice this time around. I’m already sad I have to wait another year for the next installment! I really appreciate how true to the books’ story line the movies are. Apparently they were smart enough to have Suzanne Collins in on the screenplays, so that helps:-). I missed the “Divergent Series” boat, too-I should get on that…glad you had a well-earned relaxing weekend!

10 Jelena November 25, 2013 at 2:37 am

Ha ha, my weekend included exactly the same things (except for baby visit). Is it what grown ups do on the weekends or just a coincidence? 🙂 We saw Cathcing Fire on Friday, had dinner with a bunch of friends on Saturday and did super easy 4K on Sunday.

11 Kathy November 25, 2013 at 6:48 am

I also saw the movie…..my girls built it up waaaay too much (one saw it before I did)…so I had HUGE expectations….I thought it was good but, not in the same way a 16 or 14 year old did. Sorry to disappoint my girls. 😉

They too starting reading the Divergent series some time ago…which then they told me to read…must say the books are GReeeaaaaaaT!! Absolutely loved the books…I am sure you will too.

And wow…the birthday girl is adorable!!

12 egb November 25, 2013 at 8:14 am

Sounds like a nice relaxing weekend! That little one is too cute!

I’m not ready for Xmas and the holidays yets. Not quite in the spirit, but hopefully I will be by thursday!
egb recently posted..Fuelin’ Up Friday: Hungry for more.

13 Elizabeth @ Positive Change November 25, 2013 at 8:23 am

Sounds like a great weekend!
We went and saw the movie (huge fan of the books) and LOVED the movie, thought it was very true to the book which I always loved. We stayed at home most of the weekend and put up our Christmas decorations!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Sick days, Running and Christmas Decorations

14 Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas November 25, 2013 at 8:32 am

My sister and I made some holiday craft from our Pinterest boards and we watched ECU kick NC Stat’s butt in football!
Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas recently posted..Friday Night Dinner at Stanbury

15 Mary @ Health and Fitness November 25, 2013 at 9:09 am

We’re panning to watch Hunger Games with my kids this coming weekend and they we’re super excited to see katniss again. #KangaArticles

16 Colleen @ CSmith Run November 25, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’m going to a book club for the first time next month and they are reading Me Before You! I have about 3 weeks to read it now, so I’m glad you recommend it as well 🙂 I’ll start it tonight! And I can’t wait to see Hunger Games!!
Colleen @ CSmith Run recently posted..Planking Tips & Blog Designing

17 amyt November 25, 2013 at 11:16 am

I thought Catching Fire was very good…..followed the book very well – brought it to life.

18 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change November 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Its one of the last few weekends of homework/studying and I’m so excited for it to be over!
I am a diehard fan of the Hunger Games trilogy…but haven’t seen Catching Fire yet! It is definitely on my to-do list for the longer Thanksgiving weekend!
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..When School Ate My Life.

19 Ashley November 25, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Too funny I was the same way with the Hunger Games series, but caught on to Divergent via Julie (pbfingers) and LOVED it right away!

20 Caitlin November 25, 2013 at 2:13 pm

sounds like a super fun weekend! thanks for the book rec – i’ll definitely check it out.
Caitlin recently posted..MIMM: Home and Away

21 Rebecca Jo November 25, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I thought the same thing after I saw the previews … gotta get the series!

22 [email protected] November 25, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Thanks for the book recommendation! Just added it to my Goodreads list 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

23 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner November 25, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I’m so glad to hear you liked Catching Fire–I can’t wait to go see it! I, too, love the Divergent series, so I hope you do, too.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Holiday on the Lakeshore

24 Runner Girl Eats November 26, 2013 at 6:26 am

Loving my Noles this season! I borrowed Catching Fire to read over Thanksgiving break so that I can finally go see the movie everyone is raving about. Can’t wait!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Worst night ever/best playlist ever

25 Jessica November 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Meghann you need to read the book Outlander! They’re making a show out of it and I’m really excited 🙂
Jessica recently posted..Recipe: Pumpkin Top Cookies

26 Marianne November 26, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Divergent is SO good! I had never even heard of it but I friend recommended it and I was hooked! Can’t wait for the movie. Also can’t wait to see Catching Fire!