Enjoying the break

by Meghann on November 20, 2013

I think Maddie nailed it on the head…

maddieyawn.jpg

Yep. That’s about how I feel right now too.

I ran for the first time since Wine and Dine Half on Monday. My foot was bothering me after the race so I decided to take a solid week off of any training (minus some light yoga in the morning). My foot felt fine over the weekend, which meant I was giddy as a school girl Sunday night in preparation for my run.

My alarm went off early Monday, I put my running shoes on, and I headed out the door…

I made it approximately 10 feet before I tripped on edge of my driveway and landed palm first on the asphalt. Ouch.

booboo.jpg

Luckily all I did was scrape my hand, but I was still shaken up from the fall. I ended up cutting a mile off of my short run and haven’t been that excited to run since. It’s amazing what one little fall and one little scrape can do to your confidence.

The truth is I have no motivation to do anything right now and I feel kind of loss. I’m registered for my first Turkey Trot next Thursday (super excited about this), but besides that I have no immediate goals. It’s weird. If I want to sleep in, I can. If I want to skip a workout, the world won’t end. If I want to take a yoga class, I won’t have to skip another workout to do so. Basically, I’m free.

I want to go back to CrossFit, but that would mean having to set my alarm at 5:15 again to make it to class on time. Oh, sleep, how I’ve enjoyed catching up on you. I keep saying, just one more day… just one more day… My new goal is to rejoin after Thanksgiving. I think that’s a good time to shoot for. That’ll give me a solid month off (minus that itty bitty half marathon).

So after a year of nonstop training and working out, I’m enjoying my mini break. Part of me feels antsy to do something, while the other (bigger) part is enjoying the time off. I think I needed this, for both my body and my mind.

I’ll continue to enjoy the next week and a half with a few light runs (mainly with Maddie) and just wait and see what happens after that. For now, sleep is my priority and I have a lot of it to make up!

When’s the last time you took an extended break?

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs November 20, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Good call! Enjoy your well deserved break, and just do what feels right & good!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..A Few of My Favorite Things: Christmas Albums

2 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Enjoy your break! Let your body rest! You’ve done a lot the past month!

3 Kayla November 20, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I actually just took a break because my foot was hurting after my last marathon! Now I am back at it… but my goals are a little scattered and not so nailed down so I feel a little bit like you…
Kayla recently posted..Breakfast for Dinner = Brinner

4 Val @ Balancing Val November 20, 2013 at 10:58 pm

embrace the break, girl!
repair and recover all aspects <3
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..Purification Cleanse: Day 14, 15 + 16

5 Amy @ Run Write Hike November 20, 2013 at 11:14 pm

You deserve a break in a BIG way, both physical and mental. For now, just do what feels right; if you feel like you want to take maddie on a 15 min jog, DO IT! but don’t force yourself to go out for 15 miles!
Amy @ Run Write Hike recently posted..S.T.R.E.S.S.

6 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change November 20, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Enjoy this time off! I had two this year, but both were due to injuries! I keep on thinking it will happen after the semester is done…but all I can think about doing in my free time is going to CrossFit! =)
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..When School Ate My Life.

7 Ali November 21, 2013 at 12:14 am

The post-Ironman blues are a bummer! Registering for races helps, or joining a class or program with a schedule. I really think it’s the lack of schedule that causes it. My last extended break was in the spring of 2012 after an acute fracture of my fifth metatarsal–it was the worst.
Ali recently posted..Motivation on the bike

8 Kathy November 21, 2013 at 6:51 am

From every thing I have ever read….I think our body knows when it needs a break. If we don’t give in to it then we end up hurting something which makes us give in to it.

You are wise to take it now if you feel it necessary. (Ha! I just reread that and I sound a bit like Yoda ~ ha! Be Wise Young One!)

9 Melissa November 21, 2013 at 7:46 am

Glad to hear you’re enjoying your well-deserved break!
Melissa recently posted..Know Thyself: What I know & Where I’m Going

10 Elizabeth @ Positive Change November 21, 2013 at 8:41 am

It sounds like your body really needs a break! I have been training for over a year for a few races and I am so ready to get this race done in January to have an extended break!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

11 Lesley November 21, 2013 at 8:42 am

My last extended break was this summer, and my next one will be after the WDW half in January. I don’t have any goals post-January so I’ll be in the same situation.
Lesley recently posted..Rock Tape

12 Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas November 21, 2013 at 8:44 am

Enjoy the break! I’m taking a mini break right now myself. I’ve been training for one thing or another since February and I noticed my hip and ankle starting to bother me last month so I decided to back off for a month or so. Still running a bit but not as much and not biking. Switching it up and doing more yoga and strength workouts. I’m training for my first Ironman 70.3 next June starting after the new year and I didn’t want to risk getting burned out on training before then!
Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas recently posted..Easy Crockpot Applesauce Recipe

13 Mary November 21, 2013 at 8:58 am

You earned this break…enjoy it!!!!

14 Megan November 21, 2013 at 9:22 am

You earned it.. relax and enjoy! Although I am glad to hear you are getting back to crossfit.. I love your recaps! 🙂

15 Amanda @runtothefinish November 21, 2013 at 9:44 am

Totally understand! I think your body may just be telling you it’s still recovering from your seriously awesome feat and since you do love being active you’ll just do it in less structured ways like fun bike rides or longer walks with Maddie for a bit 🙂
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..DNS, DNF, Push Through – How to decide?

16 Ashley November 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

I was given orders by the doctor for 2 weeks ( and in a hefty brace) and can not train. I hope you enjoy your break and find something you can look forward to soon 🙂
Ashley recently posted..Natural energy bit by bit- A review of EnergyBits.

17 Beth November 21, 2013 at 11:23 am

Maddie = adorable. Which turkey trot are you running?
Beth recently posted..Swimming is hard.

18 Kaylie November 21, 2013 at 11:24 am

I took a break over the summer, after my last half marathon. I wasn’t feeling running and my IT Band was bothering me, so I just stretched for 1 week. It was just what I needed! I hope you are feeling better- sorry you fell!
Kaylie recently posted..Your Weight is not Your Worth

19 Melissa @Tryingtoheal November 21, 2013 at 11:34 am

I took a break the summer of 2012 when I was in Peru and couldn’t do anything but hike. Maybe get some hiking in? There are some amazing trails and boardwalks near you and maybe now you can see more of it instead of zooming through it on the bike or running? Eh?! Sorry, I had to be the nature nerd in your comments. Haha! Breaks are always a good things to take; when I was in high school after every running season my coach made us take a solid week or two off to regenerate our energy, enthusiasm and heal anything that might have been bothering us…I think it may have save our sanity, and his. 🙂 You deserve a break lady! Take all the time you need getting back into…anything really!
Melissa @Tryingtoheal recently posted..More Catalina Island, 1/2 Marathon Training Update and Running Shoes

20 egb November 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I think it’s a well deserved break! You trained so hard for such a long training cycle. Listen to your body and take time to relax! Love the picture of the pup!
egb recently posted..A Runner’s Festivus Wish List

21 Ashley November 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Lord knows you EARNED that sleep lady. Good for you for taking it. More time to enjoy the pup, right? I mean come on, how freaking ADORABLE is that picture? Ridiculous!

22 Laura November 21, 2013 at 3:29 pm

You deserve this break. Milk it for all it’s worth!
Laura recently posted..Get ready…

23 Caitlin November 21, 2013 at 3:54 pm

You totally deserve the break but I can completely relate to having to get used to taking one…and then needing to find the motivation to get back into it after said break! Maybe try out some new fitness classes (I don’t know how many are left that you haven’t tried, haha!) to help get yourself excited and into something different 🙂
Caitlin recently posted..Ellovi Body Butter – Giveaway!

24 Katie November 21, 2013 at 4:04 pm

My break is coming up at the end of June! But it’s kind of the opposite of yours – I’m overly involved with my alumni association right now so I’m waiting until my responsibilities are done because then I’ll have time to actually train for half marathon and sprint triathlons that I love doing. I can’t wait to come home after work to run and cook a real dinner instead of going to board meetings with questionable catering choices!

I’m still so excited that you had an awesome Ironman, and can’t wait to hear what’s next – even if it’s just taking a well deserved break.

25 Macrae November 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’ve heard a day of for every mile raced. (seems a bit much) But in you case it is an indication to CHILL OUT for a while:)

26 Macrae November 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

*off

27 Michelle November 21, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I feel like I’m currently in break mode too, oddly enough. You know, as much as you can be with a 6-month old! I’m not quite ready to start working out in the mornings again. I’m not sure how I am going to get my butt in gear, but it needs to happen!
Michelle recently posted..Postpartum Running {6 Months}

28 Alisa November 22, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’m in my break right now. After IM Arizona last weekend I too am enjoying sleep! I am getting ansy but also don’t want to rush my recovery!

29 Frances November 23, 2013 at 6:28 am

Enjoy the break, you’ve earned it! Spend some time catching up on some rest, and some weekends with the husband. Maybe get some holiday shopping done and not have to rush around last minute. Like me, lol. 😀

30 Sanaz@ Run for Cake November 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Just found your blog and I love it. So much good information! I recently started a blog and thank you for providing so much helpful information for newbies like me!