RunDisney’s #WineDineHalfMeetUp

by Meghann on November 8, 2013

Last night I had the honor of attending RunDisney’s FIRST night time TweetUp for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon.

chefmickey.JPG

I also got to meet Chef Mickey! Score!

In case you’re unfamiliar with the RunDisney TweetUps, they’re FREE TweetUps that usually occur a couple of days before RunDisney Races (though, they are starting to organize them at test locations around the country). RunDisney usually hints about the TweetUp on Twitter in the weeks or days leading up to the event, then – SURPRISE! – open it up to RunDisney fans via the DisneyParks Blog. Once it’s open, the first X amount of runners who respond are in! I LOVE these events because they cater to the hardcore fans and are always full of so many fun surprises.

I was lucky enough to attend the Princess Half Marathon TweetUp back in 2012 and then the Disneyland Half Marathon TweetUp last September. Each TweetUp has had it’s own surprises and twists that keeps this RunDisney fan coming back for more.

14b7d9a0480f11e3a4d512349e812b63_8.jpg

The Wine and Dine Half Marathon TweetUp had one big twist to it – instead of the usual super-early run before the park opens, this TweetUp was at night. I got really excited when I saw this because not only did it mean not waking up ridiculously early, but it also meant I could actually attend since I could drive to Epcot after work. Double score!

So I headed to Disney after work on Thursday to have a little fun with the RunDisney crew.

I arrived early and met up with my Twitter (now real life) friend Megan. We picked up our adorable new RunDisney shirts (LOVE the maroon color) and hopped on Test Track for a quick ride before getting our run on.

4d5cde0e481411e3918222000ae903e6_8.jpg

I’ve ridden TestTrack at least a dozen times since the remodel, but I’ve always gone the singles route and skipped the part where you design the vehicle. This time I actually had a chance to go through the design process and I have to say that I think Megan and I created a pretty kick ass pink truck.

56d43cfc481411e3b0d8124666b39ba1_8.jpg

Our goal was to make the truck as ridiculous as possible. Goal – succeeded! Surprisingly it didn’t do to bad either – we placed second out of our vehicle for best overall design. Not bad. Not bad.

We left Test Track and headed to the private viewing area RunDisney had reserved for Illuminations. I’d never seen Illuminations VIP style!

1107ZX_0099MS.JPG

The show was so much fun to watch from the private viewing area. We were so close we could feel the heat from the fireworks.

1107ZX_0108MS.JPG

It was also fun to mingle and meet fellow bloggers and RunDisney nerds.

1107ZX_0137MS.JPG

After Illuminations we were escorted the the American Theater for a photo opt with characters, light snacks, and a little pre-run chardonnay (what? chardonnay doesn’t count as pre-run fuel to you?!).

I also got to reunite with these lovely ladies.

54b9b71c483711e3b7fe12bbc166bfff_8.jpg

Monica, Tina, and Julie! I’ve been lucky enough to call these girls friends for as along as I’ve been blogging. So fun to have them all on my home turf!

Once we were settled in the theater, Farron Kelley and Darell Frye of RunDisney kicked the evening off with some raffle prizes (they gave away three free race entries to any Disney race!).

1107ZX_0451MS.JPG

New Balance even gave us a sneak peek of the 2014 Special Edition RunDisney New Balance shoes. Check out the customized RunDisney box!!

DSC_0954.JPG

AND customizable sock liners that feature the RunDisney races.

DSC_0961.JPG

Man, New Balance knows their crowd. Disney fans are OBSESSED with limited collectibles and these sock liners are right up their alley. Okay, they’re right up my alley, too. Man, I want special race sock liners

Check out this video for more:

We wrapped up the evening with a little discussion of wine and food (obviously), then it was time to run!

1107ZX_1068MS.JPG

This TweetUp was a little different than the other ones since you usually start with the run and end with the food and RunDisney peeps. However, it was fun to do it all backwards. It made for a longer TweetUp as well, we didn’t get out of there until after midnight – whoa!

1107ZX_1054MS.JPG

The group split in two groups – the “fast” group and the run/walk group – then went for two laps around the world, which came to approximately 2 miles. I went with the faster group and worked up a sweat maintaining an 8:30ish pace. This was my first post-Ironman run and everything felt fine. There wasn’t any pain, but I can guarantee I won’t be setting any PRs on the course tomorrow. Not even close.

We ended with a group shot. There were over 125 of us there – the largest RunDisney TweetUp yet!

1107ZX_1190MS.JPG

And just the faster group. Let’s play “Where’s Meghann”

1107ZX_1204MS.JPG

And toasted each other with a glass of champagne.

DSC_1113.JPG

Loved the champagne touch. They weren’t being light handed with those pours either. Extra love for that.

Thank you RunDisney for another great event! Now I’m EXTRA pumped for race day!!!!

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs November 8, 2013 at 11:16 pm

So cool! What a fun event!

Have a great run!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

2 Jen November 8, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I don’t get the point of the liners. You don’t even see them. I really don’t care about the fancy box either. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing the shoes, though!
Jen recently posted..Five Things Friday

3 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 8, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Wow what an amazing opportunity! I have never heard of these before – I will have to keep my eyes peeled next time- if only I lived closer to Florida!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Five Things Friday – 11/8/2013

4 Frances November 9, 2013 at 12:27 am

Have fun tomorrow! Looks like it’s gonna be a good time!

5 Mary November 9, 2013 at 2:33 am

I’ve never heard of this before either! I’m a long way from Florida, but I must keep my eye out for similar in the UK on Twitter! I always spot things too late!
Mary recently posted..Running naked

6 sarahf November 9, 2013 at 5:19 am

This looks like a really fun event! I wonder if Tokyo Disney does something similar? I’ll check it out! I’m always put off by the huge Disney crowds, so a nighttime event would be my favorite way to see the park!
sarahf recently posted..Oh so autumnal

7 Christie @ Run. Love. Hate. November 9, 2013 at 8:13 am

This sounds like a blast. I must put this in my Race Schedule next year. Running and Wine combined? My two of my favorite things.

They could throw some chocolate in there, just to make it even more perfect. Just sayin’..

8 Sabrina November 9, 2013 at 8:19 am

I missed getting into the tweet up and am super bummed after seeing all the fun posts! I love Disney and RunDisney!
Sabrina recently posted..Monday’s Musings

9 Laura November 9, 2013 at 9:05 am

That sounds so fun and I love the maroon shirts! Jealous!!
Laura recently posted..Fashion Show in the Bathroom

10 Erin November 9, 2013 at 10:35 am

Disney races look like so much fun! I can’t wait until I can do the Disneyland half next year 🙂 Have a great time and good luck!
Erin recently posted..The Plan (to Get Me to Term)

11 Melissa November 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Such an awesome concept and I love the updates to Test Track! I must go back to visit soon!
Melissa recently posted..Words Keeping me Wise

12 Ashley November 10, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I don’t know how my stomach would do with the routine, but with only 2 miles to run, it would be totally worth it. This sounds like SO much fun, way to plan Disney!
Ashley recently posted..Silent Sunday

13 Diana November 11, 2013 at 8:13 am

Those tweet ups look like so much fun! I’d love to get into one.
Diana recently posted..Friday faves

14 Megan @ I Run For Wine November 11, 2013 at 8:58 am

This was such a fun night and Chevy should consider us for future car engineers 😉
Megan @ I Run For Wine recently posted..2013 runDisney Wine and Dine Half Marathon recap!

15 Elizabeth @ Positive Change November 11, 2013 at 9:04 am

What a great event! I am running the marathon in January so I can’t wait to pick up some of those shoes :). I might be one of those whom are crazy for the limited edition Disney items. 🙂
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Good Food and Christmas Trees

16 Becky @ RunFunDone November 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

This sounds like so much fun! I wish that I lived closer to a Disney.
Becky @ RunFunDone recently posted..How to Get that Butt Moving!

17 Runner Girl Eats November 11, 2013 at 10:57 am

I am dying to run a Disney race. One day I will pony up the massive entry fee and actually do it 🙂
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Sunday Confessions: I hate the fox

18 Steph November 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm

It was SO awesome to finally meet you in person. Hope to run into you again very soon!!
Steph recently posted..runDisney’s Wine and Dine Half Meet Up – #WineDineHalfMeetUp #RunDisney