Ironman Florida Recovery

by Meghann on November 7, 2013

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I’m not sure I can say thank you enough. Thank you for all the well wishes, thank you for all the congrats, and thank you for always believing in my siblings and I. You guys are freaking amazing!

Also, a big thanks to Amber, Jess, Mary, Steph, my mom, and everyone else who contributed to the #IRONSIBLINGS Twitter/Instagram feed on race day. It was so much fun to read through the entire feed on the way home from Panama City Beach. You guys made me laugh.

Screen shot 2013-11-07 at 6.53.08 PM.png

(p.s. Had NO idea our smooch was airing live on the live stream! Whoops.)

Now let’s talk Ironman recovery. I thought moving for 13 hours straight would leave me wanting nothing but my bed on Saturday night, but I was so full of adrenaline that I still couldn’t sit still! After Kelly crossed the finish line, I went to the massage tent to get a free 10 minutes massage. I dropped a paper on the floor as I was waiting my turn and wasn’t able to bend to pick it up. I kind of stared at the paper for a second, before politely asking one of the volunteers if they could help me. I believe the words “I can’t bend” came out of my mouth.

When they went through the pre-massage Q&A they asked if my legs were what was bothering me. Oddly, at that point my legs felt great. They weren’t cramping and didn’t really at all. It was my lower back that was the issue. I wasn’t in a lot of pain, but my lower back was definitely telling me that it was not happy with me at that moment.

I was taken to a bed immediately and had an amazing massage. If you ever complete an Ironman – head straight to the massage tents. Trust me. It’s worth it. It was also nice to just lay down and relax for a few minutes to let everything sink in.

After my massage, I went to the hotel room and reheated the leftover Mellow Mushroom (I couldn’t get enough food in), then proceeded to shower. I wasn’t even close to being ready for bed, so my friend Amber and I headed back to finish line to watch the final 30 minutes of finishers finish.

ambermeg.jpg

It was such a cool experience to be there as the final finishers came in. I recognized a lot of faces from when I was out on the course and their faces were full of so much joy and accomplishment, that it was hard not to be inspired by them. I think the crowd cheered the loudest for the final three finishers, who made the cut-off by mere seconds! Unfortunately there was one finisher we cheered for that didn’t make it. The announcer still said his name, but no mention of “You are an IRONMAN” followed. Can you imagine completing 140.6 miles and not making the cut-off by 20 seconds?! I know it happens at every race, but it broke my heart watching it in person.

j.jpg

I slept awful Saturday night. The mix of adrenaline and daylight savings time had me wide awake at 4:00am. I just kept repeating “13:05, 13:05, 13:05” to myself. I think I was afraid that if I did fall in a deep sleep that I would wake up and realize that Saturday had all been a dream. That’s I’d never actually done the race and still had to complete 140.6 miles the next day. Eeekkk

Luckily it wasn’t a dream. My brother called me at 6:30 to let me know the rest of the family was awake and they were heading to the finisher’s tent to buy gear. Since Finisher’s merchandise is limited, there’s always a huge line the morning after the race. We arrived at 6:45ish and ended up waiting close to two hours to buy our jackets. I still can’t believe we waited that long.

IMG_2016.JPG

Of course, it was nice to rock our finisher shirts and hats while in line. I’m usually not a fan of running hats, but I was wearing mine proudly on Sunday.

IMG_20131103_073211.jpg

While in line, I also got my 140.6 sticker from another booth.

IMG_20131103_085328.jpg

Yep, I did a full Ironman just so I could put the 140.6 sticker on the back of my car. No judging.

After what felt like forever, I spent way too much money on my new favorite jacket.

IMG_20131103_103505.jpg

Finisher, baby!!

Then I took advantage of the athlete breakfast buffet. I couldn’t shove enough free food on my plate – I was starving!

IMG_2019.JPG

My legs didn’t feel that bad on Sunday. The worst part was going from a seated position to walking, but once I started moving, my legs felt normal again. Stairs were a challenge, but doable. Honestly, I’ve felt worse after marathons, which is strange because I technically did a marathon.

That’s not to say I wasn’t moving slow – trust me – I was definitely moving slow. I just wasn’t in as much pain as I was expecting.

However, my neck did burn. Despite generously applying Body Glide, the wetsuit still caused my neck to chafe. This one hurt.

wetsuitscar.jpg

Derek and I headed home after breakfast. We made a pit stop in Tallahassee for more food (Publix subs!) and picked up Burger21 once we made it back to Tampa.

dinner.jpg

The car ride sucked (it made getting up extra painful) and – surprisingly – I stayed awake for most of it. I think I was still riding high from my race because I didn’t go to bed until late that night either. As soon as we got home, I immediately started reviewing race data and checking in on how everyone else did on race day.

I think my peak amount of pain came on Monday, that’s also when the lack of sleep caught up to me. I was a zombie at work, a proud zombie, but definitely a zombie.

My co-workers were amazing and had doughnuts waiting and a big “Congrats!” goodie basket full of chocolate on my dek. A huge box of cookies from a former co-worker arrived the next day. I thanked them for helping me make up my calorie deficient (and then some!).

20131104_090206.jpg 20131105_105726.jpg

I scheduled a massage for Monday and it was amazing. Painful, but amazing. It was definitely what I needed and I felt so much better afterwards. After that my recovery process sped up. Tuesday was better than Monday and by Wednesday I was even wearing heels and taking the stairs like a pro again. I also started getting the itch to run.

I registered to run Disney’s Wine and Dine Half Marathon MONTHS ago, knowing perfectly well that it was the weekend after my full. Everyone said I was crazy, and I feel no need to correct them – it is crazy. But I feel fine and I plan to run this for fun. No pressure, I just really, really want to earn my coast-to-coast medal and this is my last chance to get it!

So I’m planning to run (or slowly jog) and just enjoy the race. After that, who knows what my next adventure will be!

I plan to do a full Q&A post on the Ironman, so please leave any questions you have below!!

1 MissPinkKate November 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Thought you might enjoy that shot 😉

I’d like to hear a little from your siblings, if they’d be willing to write a paragraph or two about their Ironman experience!

Also, do you have the itch to do another Ironman (either in FL or another location)?

2 Chelle November 7, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I second the siblings – I’m interested in how your training compared to theirs.

3 Mary November 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I would totally do the race for the 140.6 sticker too. And I have felt your pain with that neck chafe…everyone thought I burned it with a curling iron haha! Congratulations on your awesome finish. You almost make me want to sign up for a full. It is the run that intimidates me though. Have fun on the Wine and Dine…that race sounds like a blast!

4 Ashley November 7, 2013 at 7:58 pm

This is kind of a personal question…but I gain weight at the end of every training session, even for a half. Did you or your siblings gain any weight during training?

PS: Have SO much fun at the half — you’re crazy! lol

5 Ali November 7, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Massages are where it’s at for recovery! Hurts like a beast, but well worth it. I’m glad to hear it’s going well! I cannot believe you were wearing heels by Wednesday–go you! I can barely wear heels during training…or, at least, I use training as an excuse to leave them at home. 🙂 Congrats again!
Ali recently posted..Make it work

6 Madison November 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm

First of all, congrats! I’ve always been a runner, but you’ve inspired me to get into tri’s. That being said, I’ve had a road bike for years, but rarely ride it. I’m terrified of cars, crashing, and going over speeds of about 13 MPH. Were you ever scared of the bike? If so, how’d you overcome these fears?

7 Larkin November 7, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Meghann, you are so inspiring! I’ve been following your journey all along and you’re making me really want to take the plunge and sign up for an Ironman. 2015 is my year. 🙂 Congrats and I look forward to the Q and A!

8 Amy @ Run Write Hike November 7, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Are you going to do it again? I know not to ask that 5 days after the race of your life, but I guess do you see yourself training hard to try to even beat your (amazing) time or are you satisfied with one big race?
Amy @ Run Write Hike recently posted..I Runched!

9 Katie B November 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Awesome! I’m registered for IMLP and I’m curious what swag is included with registration, since it’s basically my life savings (kidding, sort of). Backpack? Shirt? Medal? Anything else?

Congrats x1,000,000. I’m so motivated reading your recap.

10 Theodora November 7, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I COULD not sleep the night after NYCM, either! I woke up at 5:30 the next morning, grinning. My recovery has also been remarkably easy, too! But I still think you’re crazy for running a half this weekend. You know, as if doing an Ironman itself wasn’t crazy enough 🙂
Theodora recently posted..NYC Marathon Reflections: The Problems That Weren’t, and What I’d Change

11 Megan November 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Lol @ the sticker comment. I hope that’s a jab at a blogger who will remain anonymous…

12 Kayla November 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Hey! I’ve been dreaming of doing an Ironman (I live in Madison WI so there’s one right here and it’s SO inspiring every year!) I am just wondering how much money you think you spent total? It’s just so expensive! Also, how did you find your swimming training group? That’s probably my weakest area. Thanks and your race recap really REALLY made me want to try an IM someday!!

13 Caroline November 7, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Okay, so one more time, a huge CONGRATULATIONS! You are amazing. I can’t believe you were able to complete it alongside your siblings! For me that would make an already amazing day even that much more special. Did you all get into running/tris around the same time? I’d love to hear a bit more about your training – how you picked a plan (and how you felt it worked!) and what sort of base training you were up to/doing before “officially” starting. Would you recommend having a bigger base? And since we’re at it, do you have any tips on getting faster on the bike and/or how to choose “the right” half-ironman or ironman? Just curious…
Caroline recently posted..Surprises!

14 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 7, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Yum look at all that food! Looks like an amazing reward! I love the finisher jacket and the backpack you got the first day! Congrats again!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..A Track Workout

15 Laura @ Backstage Balance November 7, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Sounds like a decent recovery so far 🙂 my questions for your Q&A:
– Would you have changed anything about your pre- or mid-race nutrition?
– Were you craving any specific foods after you finished?
– what key advice would you share with someone who is interested in training for an Ironman?
– Did you use music / headphones during any part of the race (I’m not sure if they allow that at IM?)
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..Back in Action + tBunk Endurance Challenge 2013

16 Audrey November 7, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Congratulations!! Your recap brought tears to my eyes!! It must have been such an amazing experience!

I was just introduced to your blog via Peanut Butter fingers, so if you already discussed this I’m sorry for asking, but I was wanted to know your thoughts on working with a coach vs. going it alone. I read your recap for Augusta, and it didn’t seem like you used a coach for that, so how did the two experiences compare? I am thinking about training for Raleigh and am debating working with a coach. Thanks for any insights you can provide!!

Also, GO NOLES (and Stanford right now!!!)

17 Laura November 8, 2013 at 8:27 am

I’m competing in Raleigh 2014 if you are interested in a training buddy! 🙂
Laura recently posted..8 vs. 11

18 Lisa November 8, 2013 at 12:20 am

I didn’t say it on the previous post, so I’ll say it hear… CONGRATULATIONS! What an awesome achievement. I started reading your blog about a year ago and have loved being able to follow along on your journey to becoming an Ironman. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I hope to do one someday too, and reading your blog has made it seem more doable, even though it’s still probably not something I’ll be undertaking in the near future.

19 Mary November 8, 2013 at 2:05 am

LOVE that jacket! And how lovely of your coworkers to fill you with donuts! Hehe! The athlete breakfast buffet also looked awesome! Yum!
Well done again! 🙂
Mary recently posted..Running naked

20 sarahf November 8, 2013 at 5:56 am

Congratulations one more time! Wearing heels so soon, your recovery must be going well, I don’t wear heels unless I’m obliged! heh
In terms of questions: What was the hardest part for you? If you had your time again, what would you do differently?
sarahf recently posted..Oh so autumnal

21 Nikki November 8, 2013 at 7:46 am

Question: how many calories did you consume during the race? (not before and after) what specifically did you eat or drink?

22 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs November 8, 2013 at 8:05 am

Congrats again on such an amazing achievement! I can’t believe you’ve recovered enough to do a half this weekend — I feel like it would take me months to recover haha! Have a great weekend!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

23 Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health November 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

Congratulations, Meghann! You are soooooooooooooooo awesome and so inspiring. I’ve loved watching you accomplish so many amazing goals since your beginning blog days 🙂 Such an inspiration always 🙂

My question would be, how would you compare your nerves and anxiety in completing an IRONMAN compared to your nerves and anxiety when approaching your first full marathon? To me, a full marathon seems like a huge, scary challenge. Do you think it’s more mental than anything? I used to think a half was insane and now that I have finished one, I’m like hmmm maybe I can actually do a full. I wonder if it’s about mental strength just as much as it is about physical strength and being prepared with the proper training and nutrition.

24 April November 8, 2013 at 9:23 am

Congratulations, Meghann! Your journey is so inspiring.

As for your Q&A, what would you have changed in your training? What was the most helpful in preparing for race day, like the chaos of the swim? I’m a good swimmer, but swimming in open water with thousands sounds a little intimidating.

Thanks!

25 Beth November 8, 2013 at 9:55 am

YAY for Q&A!!!!

1. Do you think the run/walk helped during the marathon portion?
2. How bad did your lady parts feel after the 112? (I’m seriously nervous about this. LOL!)
3. Was the clothing change worth it? Would you do that again?
4. Did you feel like you were eating a ton on the bike?
5. Would you do another one? 😉

Thanks so much for doing a Q&A Meghann! Seriously. HUGE help.
Congrats again! Enjoy Disney!
Beth recently posted..Race Discount Codes!

26 Breanna November 8, 2013 at 9:57 am

I loved reading all your training recaps and was so excited to read your race recap- so incredibly inspiring and now a half marathon! That does seem crazy but maybe it will feel short after your 13 hours of continuous movement:)

27 cindylu November 8, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Congrats (belatedly). Those burgers, cookies and donuts look delicious. Your co-workers are awesome.
Questions: Why do you think you underestimated your finish time by about 2 hours? What would you have done differently during training (if anything). And of course, what’s the next big fitness goal? Do you see a BQ in your future?
cindylu recently posted..Envy and perspective

28 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions November 8, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Whew, girl! A half marathon this weekend! You’re amazing! I would’ve loved to run the Saturday after my marathon, but nothing more than 3 or 4 miles…and that was only a marathon! None of that extra 114.4 mile business!

My biggest question: what was the time commitment for training like? When I trained for my marathon, especially during the last couple of months, I felt like my. entire. life. was either running, working, or sleeping. How does training for an Ironman compare?
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

29 Lauren November 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Good work, Meghann! Completing an IM is an incredible achievement.

Your wrap-up post inspired me so much. Literally. After I completed my last marathon (which unfortunately involved a major hip injury), I swore that I would never run one again. A couple weeks ago, I started getting the itch to register for another one, but I wasn’t sure that I could do it, mentally — my last race took a lot out of me. Cue your wonderful post. After reading your recap, I rushed right over to the marathon registration page and signed up. Your enthusiasm, fortitude, and humility were *that* infectious. I’m now super excited to start my training in the next few months. Can’t wait to tackle 26.2 again.

So, in short, thank you! Best of luck with your half this weekend.

30 Ashley November 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Ah! I’ve been following along, partly because I’m doing IMCZ in a few weeks! Looking forward to crossing the finish line, and get my jacket as well!

31 Meghann November 14, 2013 at 8:48 pm

GOOD LUCK at IMCZ! My training team is doing IMCZ next year and I’m already planning to go spectate 🙂
Meghann recently posted..My experience with Walt Disney World’s MagicBands

32 Runner Girl Eats November 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm

OMG you’re doing a half this weekend?! NUTS. But good luck and enjoy 🙂
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Fitness Friday: Barre FAQs

33 Jill November 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Congratulations again, I’ve truly enjoyed following along on this journey.

How many miles were you able to swim non-stop before training for the Ironman?
Approx. how many hours a week were you training during your peak weeks.

Thanks,
Jill

34 [email protected] November 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm
35 Casey @ StayingOnPace November 8, 2013 at 4:02 pm

All of that food looks delicious!! Congrats again!
Casey @ StayingOnPace recently posted..iPhone Photo Roundup

36 Lee November 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Congratulations! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your race report! So many great details! I am signed up for IMLP 2014 and have completed two halfs over the past year. My big question is related to nutrition on race day. Would you change anything? I know if varies per person and it is important to tweak things while training (as you discover what works and what does not), but I am concerned about getting “sweeted” out on race day or getting to the point I don’t want to eat. So, what would you change or do the same based on your race experience?

37 claire November 8, 2013 at 4:55 pm

First, congratulations! You rocked your Ironman!

I wondered if you could talk about why you did so much better than you thought that you would?

-claire

38 Katie November 8, 2013 at 5:54 pm

First off, congratulations! You are so inspiring! I shared your recap with my coworker because I was so excited after reading it. I’ve done a few sprint triathlons (actually, I did one on November 2nd, and while biking I kept thinking Meghann is biking right now too! 😉 )

My question was how did you find time for all the training? I enjoyed your “Day in the Life Of” posts, and it seemed like you were nonstop from the moment you got up in the morning until you went to bed. Specifically, I’m signing up to do the Ironman 70.3 Silverman to celebrate turning 30 (your Augusta recap inspired me to sign up for a half Ironman), and after reading about your IMFL race I would like to make a full Ironman a life goal, but I have a boyfriend who might not want to “share” me with training. Fortunately he runs and bikes already, so I was thinking he could run and bike with me, but I’m not sure he wants to spend all his free time, and time with me (we don’t live with each other), on a bike or running. Did you and Derek discuss what training would be like/entail before you signed up? Or did you plan on having time each week to spend with each other, no questions asked? Or did he see this as a time for him for him to do what he likes to do? Or is he just the most supportive and awesome guy in the history of the universe?

And on a somewhat different note, what do you recommend someone have already built up for a base before beginning official training, for either a half or full Ironman?

Have fun at Disneyworld this weekend! You’re such a ROCKSTAR!!

39 Elizabeth @ Positive Change November 8, 2013 at 6:24 pm

My husband and I have been both thinking about doing an Ironman and would love to know price! We know its a hefty fee from the start but did you spend a lot for gear? We both loved your recap! Good luck with the race, super jealous!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Natural Peanut Butter Cookies! {Gluten Free}

40 Amanda November 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Congrats again! You have inspired me to start training for my first tri! I’ve always wanted to do an ironman and now it actually seems possible!
My questions:
As others have mentioned, would love a recap from Ben and Kelly! It would be great to hear how their experiences differed – also, was their training similar?
Did you hire a coach for swimming and running or did the swimming group you joined just happen to have a coach?
Did you wear padded bike shorts?
Do you think that there were any gluten free options at the rest stops? I have celiac and one of my biggest fears is that I wouldn’t be able to find things I could eat and would need family and friends strategically placed on the routes to feed me, lol.
That’s all from me! Again, amazing job!! I followed the iron sibling feed all day and was so amazed and inspired! Thank you for sharing your journey!

41 Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian November 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm

What was your nutrition plan?
What’s the one thing you wish you could do differently?
Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian recently posted..Cooking with Kelly: Pumpkin Marmalade Recipe

42 MissPinkKate November 8, 2013 at 10:06 pm

One more nosy Q- how much are the finishers jackets? I see people talk about how expensive they are; I’m picturing they’re, like, $500 or something, lol.

43 Meghann November 14, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’ll answer this question here. They were $140. Which I thought was a shit ton for a jacket, but not bad when you compare it to $500.

44 MissPinkKate November 14, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I don’t think that’s bad at all! I was thinking they were, like, $300-400 the way people were talking, lol.

45 Angela November 8, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I love that you had friends write you notes to read. Did you give them a certain sized piece of paper or just whatever they have?

46 Meghann November 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

They were a surprise! They gave me a big bag of goodies before the race and the notes were inside with special instructions to stash them in my special needs and gear bags. It was really sweet of them.

47 Sarah November 9, 2013 at 1:19 am

Congrats again!! And good luck at Wine & Dine tomorrow!

I have a bunch of questions:
1) Will you do another one? If so, soon or will you wait a few years? Will you do Florida again to try for a PR there or will you try another course? Do you see Kona in your future?
2) What padded shorts do you recommend for the bike?
3) Are you going to get an Ironman tattoo?
4) Have you convinced Derek to do a tri? 🙂 I remember you convinced him to do some running races with you a few years ago.
5) What’s your plan now with swimming? Your swim team seemed really close – will you still swim with them lots/work on your speed or just hang out outside of the pool?
6) What’s the next goal for the Iron Siblings to tackle together? It is so awesome that you guys motivate and support each other to do amazing things!
7) Did you have a mantra or visual image to get you through the long training days and/or the race? What was it?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for answering 🙂

48 Sarah November 9, 2013 at 1:34 am

Because 7 wasn’t enough…:)

What are the top three pieces of advice you would give the Meghann of 24 weeks ago (when you started the IM training) or to anyone else that is considering a future Ironman?

Thanks again 🙂

49 Nikki F November 9, 2013 at 1:51 am

First of all, Congratulations! I also can’t believe how great you look in every picture, smiling, looking totally fresh. Awesome. I have a couple questions:
Did you put on any weight during training? I think you look great, but wondered with all the training did you take in a lot more calories and if that affected you in any way.
Do you think your marathon background helped with your overall race? You seemed to have stayed quite strong in the marathon portion while I’ve read other race reports where the athletes have really fallen apart during the marathon.
You may have mentioned, but did you have a swim background? I know you said that you are the “slowest” in your training group but you nailed the swim in the race! Just wondering how you started swimming.
Thanks!

50 J November 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Hi, CONGRATS!!

This is extremely personal, but, if you feel up for discussing it, I would be extremely interested in learning how, if at all, training affected your sex life? Even if you don’t feel comfortable making a public statement, perhaps you could lose the question and invite reader commentary?

Thanks and congratulations again.

51 Meghann November 14, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I would love to bring this topic up, but my boss and my MIL read the blog. I’ll try to find a way to work it in though. 🙂

52 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner November 9, 2013 at 2:04 pm

One question…now what?

I love, love, loved reading all your posts about training for the Ironman. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for us readers next!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Scoping the Joint

53 Katy November 9, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Congrats!!! I loved stalking you on race day and tracking your progress online. Your recap was amazing as well – almost made it seem easy (which I KNOW was not the case).

My question has yet to be asked yet — Are you going to start growing your family now that you have this huge accomplishment?? hehehehehe. This is a pattern in my tri-group. Go big, then go home (and make babies!) and take a few years off of serious competition.

No need to answer that of course ;). Just wanted to say congrats and make you chuckle!

54 Misspinkkate November 10, 2013 at 9:49 am

Thought of one more Q! Where will you display your medal? I forget if you have one of those medal holders? Or perhaps at work?

55 Katie @ balanced RD November 10, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Congrats!! I am so impressed by your dedication 🙂 it looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Enjoy some rest!
Katie @ balanced RD recently posted..Sunday Meal Planning

56 Megan November 10, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Congratulations, Meghann! What an amazing accomplishment!