On My Way

by Meghann on October 31, 2013

We’re getting closer! I’m typing this on my way to Panama City!

Holy moly, I can’t believe the Ironman is less than 48 hours away!

Screen shot 2013-10-31 at 12.10.37 PM.png

Was I really on the same drive a year ago on my way to register for this thing? Has this journey really been a year long already?

No, this journey is longer than that. If you really wanted to go back, you could go back to 2011, when my little brother encouraged my sister and I to all register for our first 70.3 (Augusta).

I think that’s when the bug really got me. When I kind of/ sort of/ half way believed I could possibly do a full Ironman one day.

Screen shot 2011-09-26 at 1.41.19 PM.png

Better yet, this journey really started in 2009, when Caitlin convinced me I could do my first triathlon.

DSCN2753.JPG

I’d never even heard of a triathlon before I met Caitlin! I bought my bike a week before and my “training” was one open water swim. Somehow Caitlin convinced me I could do it and I’m never one to turn down a challenge (obviously).

CIMG2899[3].jpg

Well….if we’re splitting hairs, this journey can really go back to January 2008. That’s when I went I decided I needed a change in my life. I wasn’t sure what that change was, but I knew I couldn’t continue on the path I was on. That’s when I decided to start running and that’s when something clicked.

100_3822.JPG

(photo from October 2007)

I didn’t know it then, but that little running habit I started would eventually turn into a passion and that passion would eventually lead me here. I’m doing an Ironman on Saturday…. and it all started with the challenge of running to the end of my block without stopping. Crazy.

CIMG0021.JPG

So here I am. Hours away from Ironman Florida. I’ve been a ball of nerves all week – I just can’t believe it’s almost here. I’ve also been a total nut job – pretty much packing my entire house in my SUV and reading (and re-reading) every Ironman race recap I could get a hold of! I’m sure all my friends and family (and most of you) will be glad when this is all over and I stop talking about it because it’s seriously the only thing on my mind. Sorry about that!

I’m just excited to get up there! I’m ready to race!

1 amyt October 31, 2013 at 1:04 pm

GOOD luck to you and your siblings!!! I cannot wait to hear the recap!!!

2 Katie October 31, 2013 at 1:11 pm

GOOD LUCK!!!! I can’t wait to hear how it goes! You and Caitlin have been so inspirational over the years, I love following your progress and changes!
Katie recently posted..Monster Dash Half 2013 Recap #MDMN

3 jillian October 31, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Good luck — thinking of you and cheering you on! πŸ™‚ You and your blog have inspired me for years…. in fact, you were one of the reasons I started running (and marathoning!). Go get em girl!

4 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 31, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Best of luck to you & your siblings! We’ll all be cheering you on…through the internet! πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Autumn Luxe Box

5 Heather @ Heather Getting Fit! October 31, 2013 at 1:20 pm

You’re such an inspiration, Meghann! Good luck to all of you πŸ™‚
Heather @ Heather Getting Fit! recently posted..The ONE Tip You Need For A Successful Holiday Season

6 Becky @ Olives n Wine October 31, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Good luck!! You’re going to do great! And I love your finish line photo above – you look so happy πŸ™‚
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..October 2013 Foodie Pen Pals

7 egb October 31, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Good luck to you and your sibs! Great post about your journey. Can’t wait to hear how it goes!
egb recently posted..Ride Recap: 24 Hours of Booty

8 Stephanie October 31, 2013 at 1:36 pm

You will do great!!!!

9 Jamie October 31, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Loved this post recapping your journey. Gives hope to us “newbies”. Best of luck to you! Can not wait to read all about it!!
Jamie recently posted..Getting Spooktactular

10 Allie October 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Love this re-cap of your journey! You are so incredibly lucky to have such a loving supportive group cheering you on! I will definitely be following along to see how you do! Wishing you and your siblings well! You are are going to do amazing!

11 Ashley October 31, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Good luck! πŸ™‚ You will do awesome! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

12 Chatelaine October 31, 2013 at 1:47 pm

So excited for you!!! I’ve loved reading about all your hardwork and determination so no, I’m not tired of reading about it! GOOD LUCK, STAY STRONG and you KNOW you can do this, look at your history!!!!

13 Kathleen October 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Best of luck! I’ve been following along all year, very inspiring!

14 Katie @ running4cupcakes October 31, 2013 at 1:57 pm

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! Can’t wait to hear how it goes and to call you an IRONMAN!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Carmelitas

15 Amanda October 31, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Good luck to you!!!! What you’re doing is inspiring! Can’t wait to hear the recap πŸ™‚

16 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 31, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Good luck!! I can’t wait to hear all about it!! SO excited for you!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Happy Halloween!

17 Alison October 31, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Good luck, kick butt, and go Noles!!!!

18 Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine October 31, 2013 at 2:12 pm

You are amazing! Best of luck!!!
Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine recently posted..{Runners Who Rock} Natalie T.

19 [email protected] October 31, 2013 at 2:13 pm
20 Ali October 31, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Good luck! The journey to an Ironman is ling and complicated fir mist of us, I thinnk! You have a great story that deserves telling. :). Rock it out there. We’ll be following along!

21 Lisa October 31, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I don’t comment often, but I had to say I’m so excited for you! I’ve been reading for awhile and following your training has been exciting for everyone. I know you don’t need it, but good luck Saturday, I’m sure we’ll all be waiting to hear the results

22 Elisabeth October 31, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Good Luck to you & your brother & sister!!! Can’t wait to read recaps of every detail πŸ˜€

23 sonia the mexigarian October 31, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Very excited for you and your siblings. I know all 3 of you are going to rock the Ironman to the best of your abilities. Looking forward to tracking you along your journey πŸ™‚
sonia the mexigarian recently posted..Marathon Training Weeks 9 and 10

24 Beth October 31, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Good luck!!!
Beth recently posted..Happy Halloween!

25 Ashley October 31, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I am SO excited for you! But not because I want you to stop posting about it, because I can’t WAIT for you to post ALL about it πŸ™‚

26 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 31, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Good luck! I’ll be thinking of you on Saturday. I can’t wait to hear how it all turns out!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..5 Things: A Tale Of A New Cross Fitter

27 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions October 31, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Good luck, Meghann! I think I speak for a lot of people when I say watching you take on this journey has been nothing short of inspiring. Sending all sorts of positive vibes your way for race day! You’ve got this!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

28 Katie October 31, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I’m so so so excited for you!!! This is just another milestone in your journey! Think about what you will be writing next year, looking back πŸ™‚ You have worked hard, persevered during some big changes and you will do so well. Have fun and give it your all…you’ll be great!
Katie recently posted..Eat, Drink, Sleep Miami

29 Jenny O October 31, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Good luck!!! You have been an inspiration as I train for my first half iron. Can’t wait to read your race recap!

30 Amy October 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Good Luck!

31 Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 31, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I am so happy for you! You have made such an incredible journey! I am so ready to read your recap! GOOD LUCK!!!!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Happy Halloween!!

32 joelle (on a pink typewriter) October 31, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Such an inspiring journey, lady! Best of luck — you’re going to rock it!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Something to Think About

33 Mary October 31, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Wishing you cam waters and a fast tailwind…I can’t wait to read the recap!!! Rock it out!

34 megan October 31, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Good luck girl! Can’t wait to read your recap:)

35 stephanie @ healthy, happy stephanie October 31, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Good luck!!!!!
stephanie @ healthy, happy stephanie recently posted..Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff Recap

36 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 31, 2013 at 7:37 pm

GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! (One for each of you!) I can’t wait to hear about your race.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Bits and Pieces

37 Beth October 31, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Good luck!!! Try to get lots of sleep tonight, tonight matters more than tomorrow. Eat well and have fun.
Beth recently posted..150 Days until Ironman Los Cabos

38 Bridgette October 31, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Meghann,
You can do this, you will do this… and all of your readers are cheering you on!!!! Will you be doing another post with how to track you during the event?

39 Caroline October 31, 2013 at 8:27 pm

GOOOOOD LUCK! Just goes to show what you can do if you put your mind to it πŸ™‚
Caroline recently posted..Stars Have Been Consuming My Life

40 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm

So excited for you! And know there are people rooting you on from all over the country (probably even world)! I can’t wait to hear how it all goes down! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Happy Halloween!

41 LindyK October 31, 2013 at 8:45 pm

We’ve never met, but I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts on race day! Can’t wait to read the recap.

42 jen k October 31, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Good Luck! Can’t wait to read all about your experience πŸ™‚

43 Anne October 31, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Blessings to you Meghann !! You are going to do awesome ~ every step of the way know that you have a cyberspace cheering section rooting for you and cheering you on !! You’re a HUGE inspiration to soo many !!

44 Melissa October 31, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Good luck! I started following your blog right before you started training. I’ve loved hearing all about it! Can’t wait to hear about the Ironman!

45 Amy November 1, 2013 at 1:05 am

I’m so excited for you!! Kick butt and take names. You are awesome!

46 Amanda November 1, 2013 at 4:52 am

I’m so excited for you!!!!!! I can’t believe it’s almost here! (And I’m definitely not sick of reading about your upcoming ironman)

47 Megan November 1, 2013 at 7:08 am

Good luck! Totally awe inspiring…
I’ve loved reading about your preparation, can’t wait to hear all about the big day πŸ™‚
Megan recently posted..I don’t ALWAYS love it

48 Sil November 1, 2013 at 7:49 am

Hi Meghann! I wish you lots of good luck tomorrow!!! But most of all please have fun, since it will all be over before you know it. I guess you can not wait to listen to the guy telling you “Meghann you are an IM!”, right? Ha! -As for myself, can not wait to cross that finish line on Central Park on Sunday πŸ™‚
I’m sending you tons for good vibes!!!

49 Steven November 1, 2013 at 8:56 am

Having a similar story I can totally relate and feel your enthusiasm !

Have Fun !

50 Jenny November 1, 2013 at 8:57 am

Congratulations Meghann.
You’ve done SO much hard work to get to this point. Be proud of what you’ve accomplished and be even MORE proud of what you’re going to do in a few short hours.
The hay is in the barn…go get it done!

51 Robin November 1, 2013 at 9:08 am

Good luck!! Can’t wait to read your recap. It’d be great if you could get your brother and sister to do one too!

52 Jessica November 1, 2013 at 9:56 am

Good luck! I’ve been following your blog for years and can’t wait to read your recap. What an incredible journey! πŸ™‚

53 ashley November 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

I feel so excited for you! I can’t wait to hear all about it!

54 Joy November 1, 2013 at 10:52 am

It’s been so much fun reading your journey to this point. You’re an inspiration for sure. Best of luck. Can’t wait to hear how you and your siblings do!!

55 Reenie November 1, 2013 at 11:13 am

Good Luck…. Meghann, Kelly & Ben!!!

56 Amanda November 1, 2013 at 11:45 am

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! You guys are going to CRUSH IT!

57 kelly @ racesrepsramblings November 1, 2013 at 11:46 am

WOHOO!! GOOD LUCK!! I can’t wait to hear about it. What an experience! I’m still too chicken to do an Ironman myself, so I can’t wait to hear how it goes. Maybe someday πŸ˜‰
kelly @ racesrepsramblings recently posted..The Best Weekend Ever: NOLA 2013

58 Shelly November 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Good luck! You’ve got this!

59 Jackie November 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Good luck!! You are going to rock it.

60 Rando @ No fluff weight loss November 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I have never done a triathlon in my life, i am more of a gym person. You really deserve lots of respect ’cause I don’t think i could do a triathlon…maybe a small one…some day!
Rando @ No fluff weight loss recently posted..Can’t lose fat? These 2 diseases might be the reason why!

61 Steph November 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm

So proud of you! I cannot WAIT to hear all about it. Be amazing!
Steph recently posted..TeamJudy on Fox13!

62 Jill November 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

What an inspiring story of success! Good luck and enjoy the race!

63 The Many Thoughts of a Reader November 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Good luck!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Unsettled

64 Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com November 2, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Super duper good luck! I can’t wait to read how it goes! So excited for you πŸ™‚
Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com recently posted..Tempos, Carved Pumpkins, and a Championship!