more ยป" />

Ironman Training: Week 23

by Meghann on October 27, 2013

OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG.

Screen shot 2013-10-27 at 8.18.07 PM.png

That’s it. I’m less than a week away from race day. 23 weeks of training and I’m down to the final one. My stomach is in knots, my hands are shaky, and I can’t stop my voice from going really high whenever anyone asks about the race. Gulp. It’s here. No going back now.

Monday

Nada

Rest. Rest. Rest. Gotta get that rest in!

Tuesday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

This was an easy ride. Just needed to get my legs moving.

PM: 2050 yd Swim

• 350 Warm-Up
  • 4 x 50 accelerating
  • 3 x 100 @ 1:35 (1:25, 1:28, 1:30)
  • 2 x 100 easy
  • 3 x 100 @ 1:35 ( 1:25, 1:29, 1:31)
  • 2 x100 easy
  • 3 x 100 @ 1:35 (1:28, 1:30, 1:34)
  • 2 x 100 easy

This was a great swim. I like the short and speedy ones.

Wednesday

AM: Nada

Decided I need another rest day.

Thursday

AM: 6 mi Run

Last track! Since we’re tapering, coach wanted us to take it easy and “dial it in.” We did moderate mile repeats w/ 40 seconds of rest. I was instructed to hold 8:20 min/miles, which translated to 2:05/400. I felt GREAT. I’m not sure if it was the cooler weather or what, but I felt relaxed and was even able to keep my breathing under control. My only problem was trying to hold back since I naturally wanted to go faster on the track. It was a great run.

• Easy jog to track
  • Mile 1: 8:15
  • Mile 2: 8:17
  • Mile 3: 8:16
  • Mile 4: 8:08
  • Easy mile jog home

Friday

AM: 3.4 mi Run

Maddie and I had about 30 minutes to run before I had to meet friends for coffee.

Saturday

AM: 6.4 mi Run

My last long(ish) run before race day! I wish I had this weather the whole training cycle – it felt amazing out there!

Sunday

AM: 30 mi Bike

Switched my run and bike days so i could go to the beach early with Derek on Saturday. Because I switched, I was able to take my time getting out on the bike and still enjoy a relaxing Sunday. The bike wasn’t bad. I had an awful headwind going out, but the killer tailwind on the way back more than made up for it.

I dropped my bike off on the way home for a final tune-up.

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 6

Miles: 62

Time: 6 hours 13 minutes

Holy moly. Race day is almost here!

Any race week advice?!

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 27, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Congrats! One more week! ๐Ÿ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Links

2 Ali October 27, 2013 at 10:05 pm

OMG, one more week! In terms of race week advice, I’d say keep visualising the race, start to finish (go through transitions and nutrition in your head, imagine your effort scale and when you’re going to go up or down.) It’ll help on race day when you’re too zonked to think straight. Also, stay busy at work and with loved ones! Taper brain is crazy business. Also, think positive–you rocked your training, and you’re going to do great! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali recently posted..Recovering from a race failure

3 Amber October 27, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Enjoy the day. I finished my ironman two years ago and I have forgotten so much about the experience. Really just take it all in! Good luck!

4 Kelly October 28, 2013 at 8:38 am

No race day advice, just well wishes. Good luck!

5 egb October 28, 2013 at 8:49 am

How exciting!! Be sure to rest and keep the legs up!
egb recently posted..Fuelin’ Up Friday: Chocolate Island Boost

6 Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 28, 2013 at 9:32 am

OMGSH!!! Good Luck!!! Just remember to breath and to have a fun time! You have put in the hours and the training and you are so ready for this race!!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Disney on Ice and Getting Lost in a Maze

7 Laura @ Mommy Run Fast October 28, 2013 at 9:33 am

Sounds like you’re ready! I agree with the mental prep Ali mentioned. And work on building your confidence so you can go in feeling strong and capable… read your workout log, remind yourself of all you did to get here. You’ve got it!!

8 Caroline October 28, 2013 at 11:12 am

Trust your training plan! Leave all your doubts aside (as hard as that is!) and focus on how much work you’ve put in and how READY and PREPARED you are – you’re going to do great!! Now just enjoy it all ๐Ÿ™‚
Caroline recently posted..Weekly RUNdown

9 Karin October 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm

SO very excited for you! It has been fun reading your journey along the way. I’m no triathlete, but I am running my 2nd marathon Saturday. My only advice is to rest up and eat good this week!! Try to stay calm, you got this!!

10 Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine October 28, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I’ve been following along your training posts, I can’t believe it’s been 23 weeks! You have trained hard and it will all pay off. Can’t wait to read your recap of the event. Almost time!

11 Megan (The Lyons' Share) October 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm

EEEK!!! You already know all the tricks, I’m confident! Rest is more important than an extra workout at this point, be sure to start hydrating and stick with familiar foods only the 3-4 days before, pack your bags early and go over and over what you need to bring, and stay focused on how AMAZING you are – self-confidence going into it is a huge part of your success! I can’t wait to read the recap!
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..Making YourSELF Happy

12 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Try to give yourself some mental rest this week! Being ready mentally will be so much of the battle!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Racing Fool!

13 Margaret October 28, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Wow, it’s almost time! Rest up, and good luck!
Margaret recently posted..Ender’s Dilemma

14 Ashley October 28, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I cannot believe how quickly your training went! I am SO excited for your recap!!!! You’re going to be AMAZING!
Ashley recently posted..Saint Louis Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon Recap

15 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I am so excited for you!! I can’t wait to see how awesome you are going to do! ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy every minute of this week and the WEEKEND!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..ENERGYbits Product Review and Giveaway!

16 Julie @ Swim Bike Running on Empty October 28, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Definitely make sure you’re getting enough sleep and not eating foods ‘new’ to you. Other than that, an easy workout or two and you’re ready to go! From personal experience, race day is THE most amazing thing. Soak in every minute – it’s truly a reward for all of your training! Smile often, thank the volunteers, and break the race down as much as you can. You have worked hard and you will have an amazing day because of that!
Julie @ Swim Bike Running on Empty recently posted..Falling Leaves & Happy Trails

17 Discovering Running October 28, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Ahhhhh!! I am so excited for you, for this! Can.not.wait to hear how it goes and a recap – I’m sure you will rock it!