Maddie’s Perfect Day

by Meghann on October 26, 2013

I think if you were to ask Maddie what her perfect day looks like, she would probably describe today to a T. Derek and I had a rare free weekend this weekend (the calm before the storm, right?) and basically made it our mission to spoil Maddie as much as possible before we drop her off at doggie camp on Thursday. I’m pretty sure she’s been in puppy bliss all day.

Our day started with a GORGEOUS trip to the beach.

20131026_104028.jpg

Floridians pretty much freak anytime the temperature drops below 78 (myself included), so we basically had the beach to ourselves at 10:00am when it was a cool 68 outside. There may have been a slight chill in the shade, but it was PERFECT in the sun. It was actually refreshing to be able to relax in my beach chair and not be covered in sticky sweat. I love the beach in October – love, love, LOVE.

20131026_103333.jpg

Maddie loves it, too. Without any large dogs around, she basically pranced around like she owned the place.

20131026_104308.jpg

20131026_104321.jpg

She even dragged me to the water. My little girl – who once would barely stick her paw in the water – was dragging ME to come play. I was afraid the water would be cold, but it felt great. It actually made me feel good about Panama City next week, I’m guessing the water is going to feel the same.

20131026_113613.jpg

20131026_111938.jpg

We left the beach around 12:30 and headed to downtown Dunedin for lunch. It was the perfect weather to dine outside and soak in the small town’s downtown charm. Derek and I ordered sandwiches, while Maddie got herself a big bowl of water and a couple of scrambled eggs.

20131026_130637.jpg

Eggs are pretty much Maddie’s favorite meal on earth and she knows she’ll usually get a small plate of them when she behaves at restaurants.

After lunch we walked across the street for ice cream and Maddie got her very own doggie cone, complete with a Mini Milkbone topping.

20131026_133435.jpg

I think, after eggs, ice cream is Maddie’s second favorite thing on earth. πŸ˜‰

We made it home just in time to watch FSU kick some serious NC State butt (GO NOLES!!) and Maddie spent the rest of afternoon napping.

20131026_161421.jpg

You can probably move napping to one of her ultimate favorite things of all time.

Yep, a perfect Maddie day. It was a perfect day for me, too. It was relaxing, non-sstressful, and I didn’t spend 8 hours on a bike – winning! I did run a great 6 miles before we left and have an easy 30 mile ride on tap for tomorrow. Race day is officially a week away and I couldn’t be more excited about it! πŸ™‚

What would be your pet’s perfect day?

1 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I have two cats, so their perfect day would be 10 minutes of play time followed by 12 hours of cuddling on my lap and purring.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Sushi Night

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life October 26, 2013 at 5:24 pm

awww love this post!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..RUN ALL THE MILES! A Week 13 Update

3 megan @ theveryhungryrunner October 26, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Awww this post is awesome. I have a one-year-old chocolate lab who is pretty much my baby. His perfect day would definitely include a car ride, park visit and lots of yummy treats. Good luck on your quickly approaching Ironman!
megan @ theveryhungryrunner recently posted..it’s a sign

4 Kate October 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm

My husband and I have two cats, and their perfect day would start with cuddles, include many naps and would be polished off with a round of chasing the laser pointer (where DOES that elusive red dot come from?!). One day when we have a dog I look forward to days like the one you just had with Maddie!!

5 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Love it! My dachshund’s perfect day would be pretty similar — a car ride to somewhere fun like the farmer’s market, some special food treats, and maybe a new toy to chew on! She’s pretty easy to please πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Links

6 Ashley October 26, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Ever since our boy got sick he wants to be around us or his girlfriend, our neighbors dog. So his perfect day would probably be a long hike with us and his lady pup. πŸ™‚
Ashley recently posted..St Louis Rock and Roll Half Marathon Goals

7 Kayla October 26, 2013 at 6:57 pm

My two kitties would probably like to sleep in, play in the front yard, lay under a bush, eat, lay on the couch, play with a hair tie, lay by the fireplace, eat… lay around some more… haha…
Kayla recently posted..What’s Next: Setting Up My Race Calendar

8 Traci October 26, 2013 at 7:55 pm

We just moved to the Tampa area and have been exploring beaches. Which one did you visit today? Looks beautiful!

9 Meghann October 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Honeymoon Island! It’s my favorite because it’s mainly a local beach and they allow dogs.

10 Traci October 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Thanks – we will definitely have to check it out!!

11 Laura October 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Such a cute picture of Maddie!

12 Laura @ Backstage Balance October 26, 2013 at 9:29 pm

What a pampered pup! Sounds like an amazing, relaxing day – and well-deserved!
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..Fall Race Calendar

13 Kristy @ Southern In-Law October 27, 2013 at 4:45 am

If our pup Chanel had her perfect day, it would probably be centred around a long walk, lots of sleep, yummy food and lots and lots of attention.

This, however, looks like an amazing day! I love that you take Maddie everywhere – our Chanel is too much of a scaredy cat to take anywhere other than on a walk (and even then, if she sees another dog she’ll lay down and play dead hahaha)
Kristy @ Southern In-Law recently posted..The Allergy Queen Travels

14 Meghan October 27, 2013 at 10:10 am

She looks like she’s smiling. Can’t wait to read all about your ironman recap. Insane!!! Yay 1 week!!
Meghan recently posted..Pumpkin macaron

15 Lisa October 27, 2013 at 12:16 pm

awww, LOVE this post! πŸ™‚
Lisa recently posted..Let’s Chat

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm

This is such a sweet post, and it’s so nice that you were able to enjoy a relaxing day with your family! Enjoy this last week before your big race!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Racing Fool!

17 Erica October 27, 2013 at 1:43 pm

What a fantastic day! Glad the pup enjoyed every minute. I am glad its going to warm back up this week!!

18 Discovering Running October 27, 2013 at 1:52 pm

That day would make my puppy the most jealous! I need to spoil her more, apparently!!
I am also so impressed with your town – puppy friendly restaurants and ice cream parlours… I think I may need to move there asap!
Discovering Running recently posted..Friday’s Weekly Rambles – My Wish List

19 Christine @ BookishlyB October 27, 2013 at 3:55 pm

My golden and lab would love eggs for breakfast, a long walk, an afternoon swim in our pool, and then a dinner of banana muffins (they’re both obsessed… I think it may partly be because they’re obsessed with the paper wrappers we won’t let them eat). And if I let the lab chew the crap out of all of his toys he’d be in heaven.

You’re very lucky you have a doggy day care that you trust and that she likes!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..I Almost Forgot- I’m Pregnant

20 elena October 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm

this is adorable! you and d are such good parents!! my bff max passed away two months ago so this post is really awesome to see. GOOD LUCK NEXT WEEK IRON(WO)MAN!

21 Tempie @ The Texas Peach October 28, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Maddie looks like she is dreaming about the fun day she just had and smiling about it!
Tempie @ The Texas Peach recently posted..Ozeri 4x3runner Digital Pedometer Review