Replay

by Meghann on October 24, 2013

We’re 10 days out from race day!

IronmanFlorida10.jpg.jpg

That means November 2nd is finally up on the 10 day forecast.

weatherpc.jpg

knock on wood. knock on wood. knock on wood.

I know, I know… don’t trust the 10 day forecast – ever. However, this one does make me smile and I’m going to leave it at that.

knock on wood. knock on wood. knock on wood.

Everyone around me is sick. The weather has started to fluctuate a bit down here (it finally feels cool in the morning!), which opens everyone up to the sniffles. I think life would be easier if I could just keep myself in a plastic bubble for the next 10 days.

I just finished another great book.

Replay by Ken Grimwood

replay-book-cover.jpg

Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn’t know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again — in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle — each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: “What if you could live your life over again?”

I finished the audiobook in less than a week. I always enjoy stories with a “do-over” element to them and this one really made me think about what I would do differently if I woke up and was suddenly 14 or 18 again. Heck, not only wake up that age once, but keep going back over and over again. Each of the book’s “Replays” are vastly different from the ones that came before, which I think just confirms that we can never go back and do it exactly the same.

I think if had a few lifetimes to spare, I would start fresh and take a few more risks on what I did with my life. If something failed (like, let’s say I decided to pursue my childhood fantasy of being an actress – ha!), I would just start over again in the next replay. On the flip side, if something succeeded, I would also lose it in the next replay (like when the main character goes back to where he met his wife in his original life and fails to win her over as he did the first time, thus losing her for his remaining years in that life – I can’t imagine any life without Derek in it – or when he loses his daughter because she never existed). It makes you think.

If you could “replay” your life over and over again, what various risks would you take or dreams would your pursue that you couldn’t the first time?

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 24, 2013 at 9:19 pm

What an interesting concept! Sounds like a great read — I’ll definitely be checking it out!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Virtual Coffee Date

2 Ali October 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

OMG, that weather looks amazing. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the forecast holds true for you! I’ll cross my fingers that you stay healthy, too. Racing with the sniffles is the worst. I don’t know that I can say I’d change much about my life if I could do a replay. Everything I’ve done has gotten me where I am now, and I’m pretty happy about that!
Ali recently posted..Traveling: Port Macquarie (+ a race report)

3 Jamie October 24, 2013 at 9:36 pm

First time posting here but I am so excited for your race that you’d think I was doing it. Did my first tri this summer and am hooked! Have loved reading about your training and wish you the very best of luck!
Jamie recently posted..Happy, Happy, Happy and Costume Help!!

4 Runner Girl Eats October 24, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I love the concept of this book! There aren’t a ton of things I would change but can think of a few bf’s I would’ve broken up with earlier lol
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..How we met.

5 [email protected] is Sweet October 24, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Good luck staying healthy! I just had a half marathon, and EVERYONE near me was sick the week before too-I ended up catching it after the race-but better than before!
[email protected] is Sweet recently posted..Toothbrush Emergency

6 Laura October 25, 2013 at 8:59 am

I actually think about that sometimes. I think I would have played college soccer and chosen a different major in college…but only if I could still meet and marry my husband!

7 [email protected] October 25, 2013 at 10:04 am
8 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

I would’ve explored more options in college and gone with a much different job instead of picking what I thought was “safe”.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Racing Fool!

9 Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

This is very interesting! I think that I would replay being more out going in high school. I would have also gone and played golf in college. Having the option at the time seemed really scary to play at the college level.
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Pinterest Friday and Disney on Ice

10 Ashley October 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

I would study abroad! I don’t regret much in my life — but not studying abroad and taking advantage of such an amazing opportunity as a student is one thing I wish I could do over!

11 egb October 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I would find a way to explore the world a little more!

I think everyone around me is sick too! Why does it always happen just before races?!
egb recently posted..Fuelin’ Up Friday: Chocolate Island Boost

12 Brittney October 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I like stuff like this too. I will have to read this book. The movies Mr. Destiny and Sliding Doors (old school Gweneth Paltrow) are this kind of concept. Check them out if you haven’t seen them 😉
I agree with Ashley’s comment, I wish I would have traveled more when I was younger- done a semester abroad or something. I feel like now that travel abroad is going to be back-burnered for a while because it’s so inconvenient with where my life is now (work, baby, etc..), so I wish I’d done it when I was younger and less tied down. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to at some point!
Brittney recently posted..Eight Months

13 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Sounds like an interesting book! I’ll have to add it to my list. If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken more risks in college (studied abroad, done internships instead of working, submitted more literature for the college journal), kept a closer eye on my sister, and listened to my own mind instead of someone else’s when it really counted.

So excited to hear about your race!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Hello Out There!

14 Elisabeth October 26, 2013 at 3:37 am

I would definitely live my college years & 20s (31 now) a little differently – like study abroad, go to med school right after college, be more active/adventurous, etc. It’s interesting to think about!