Ironman Training: Week 22

by Meghann on October 21, 2013

Helllllllooooo taper!

Screen shot 2013-10-21 at 7.25.57 PM.png

After stressing out about my workouts midweek, I decided to, well, stop stressing. I took some great advice from my coach and decided to enjoy this taper. What is done is done, I can’t change anything in the next two weeks. I just need to trust my training, rest, and try not to think about the 140.6 miles I have to conquer in less than two weeks – gulp.

Monday

Nada

My first rest day in two weeks! It felt good to sleep in.

Tuesday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

Maddie has started to associate the trainer with going for a run. She knows that as soon as I get off the trainer I’ll take her for a run. So now she perks up every time my legs stop spinning, thinking it’s time to run. That girl loves to run.

AM: 20 min Run

Eventually we do run.

PM: 2150 yd Swim

• 2 x 200 warm up
  • 4 x 400 w/ 1:00 rest
  • 100 cool down

Quick and simple swim. Also, the brownie I was bribed with to attend was delicious.

Wednesday

AM: 2500 m Swim

• 400 warm up
  • 4 x 200 w/ 30 secs rest
  • 4 x 100 w/ 14 secs rest
  • 4 x 200 w/ 30 secs rest
  • 100 cool down

Thursday

AM: 6 mi Run

Track was closed so we did a loop instead. Started with a jog, then gradually picked up the pace. I was really struggling to keep up at the end.

PM: 1250 yd Swim

• 400
  • 400
  • 9 x 50

I don’t think any of us were really into swimming on Thursday. We started off good, then got into talking and started practicing flip turns instead. It was a nice relaxing swim practice.

Friday

AM: 60 min Bike trainer

Nice and easy ride. Started watching Scandal via Netflix – it’s just as addicting as everyone says it is! Amazing show.

Saturday

AM: 8.25 mi Run

Great run. I fell in a groove and just ran.

Sunday

AM: 120 min Bike Trainer

I had just enough time to squeeze in a little trainer session Sunday morning. After all, I had a wedding to get ready for!

493434da39f011e3bc2522000a9e0196_8.jpg

There’s nothing like a beautiful wedding to distract you from training.

Congrats Aaron and Emily!

πŸ™‚

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 90

Miles: 80

Time:9 hours 8 minutes

Less than two weeks to go!

1 MissPinkKate October 21, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Getting very excited for you! Will be cheering you on from NYC on race day πŸ˜€

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Congrats on a great taper week! You’re almost there πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Update

3 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Wow I am so excited for you! Yes, just like an taper you have to realize the hard work is done. What’s done is done and it is time for you to enjoy it!

I loved how you said a “a little trainer session” for Sunday – 2 hours!? That is not little to me! πŸ™‚ I guess training for an ironman really does change your view on it!

I am going to have to check out scandal!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Quit Talking and Just Do It!

4 Jen October 21, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Good luck!
Jen recently posted..In Which I Declare a New Running Superstition

5 Ali October 21, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Woohoo! Tapering is the best and the worst. I tend to lose my mind a little by the end, convinced that I’m losing fitness or that I’m going to forget how to swim. Sounds like you’re doing great so far! Relaxing is the right idea. πŸ™‚
Ali recently posted..This Week in Training: WC 14 October

6 Ashley October 22, 2013 at 12:17 am

Gorgeous bride and bridesmaid!!
Ashley recently posted..Motivated Monday

7 Mary October 22, 2013 at 4:15 am

I love the taper – knowing the hard work is done and you can have a little more of a rest before the big day. Although as soon as you cross that line you know you’ll have come up with a new challenge!
Mary recently posted..Raising money and eating cake

8 Caroline October 22, 2013 at 7:18 am

Ah taper…I guess it’s all relative depending on the event?! You’re still doing three-a-days during taper! At some point (and not know, enjoy the taper and time) I’d love to hear your thoughts on the plan you followed, and what sort of “base” you think is needed/good to have going in.
Caroline recently posted..Weekly RUNdown

9 Meghann October 23, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I plan to write a post after this is all over about the plan I followed. I really liked having the book and the ability to make it flexible to my schedule. I also spent a couple of months building a base to prep me for training. It I had started from scratch, I would have needed longer than a 24 week plan to train with.

10 Larissa @ Running with the Dragonflies October 22, 2013 at 7:42 am

So awesome! I love weddings πŸ™‚
When do you work out… early mornings? I’m just curious because I’m trying to find a time of day that fits for me and I have NO clue!
Larissa @ Running with the Dragonflies recently posted..Madness Monday is here to Stay

11 Meghann October 23, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Usually in the morning before work. I only work out in the afternoon when I have two-a-days

12 Hope @ With a Side Of Hope October 22, 2013 at 8:08 am

I love the color of the flowers in the bouquet! You look so pretty πŸ™‚
Hope @ With a Side Of Hope recently posted..Butternut Squash and Apple Soup!!…

13 Lesley Moore October 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

Congrats on making it to taper! I’m so excited for you and can’t wait to read all about your Ironman!
Lesley Moore recently posted..Something New & A Favor

14 Mary October 22, 2013 at 11:18 am

Will you get the Ironman tattoo when it’s all over:)?

15 Meghann October 23, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Maybe! I still haven’t decided if I will or not. I think this might be a good topic for a post though. πŸ™‚

16 Jenn October 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Where is your bridesmaid dress from? Love it!

17 Meghann October 23, 2013 at 7:22 pm

David’s Bridal!

18 Ashley October 22, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I cannot believe you are already in Taper! Congrats, and glad you are able to relax and enjoy it now!

19 Allison October 22, 2013 at 1:24 pm

You look beautiful! I’m sure it’s hard to slow down after all you’ve done.
Allison recently posted..Friday Confessions

20 Margaret October 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Wow, it’s getting close! Good luck!

Also, love your bridesmaid dress! Really flattering on you, and seems like something you really could re-wear.
Margaret recently posted..The Bike Budget

21 Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Great job with the taper! Almost there! The wedding looks so much fun!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Week Workouts 10/14-10/20

22 joelle (on a pink typewriter) October 22, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Love your dress!

That’s cute about Maddie and the trainer. πŸ™‚
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Something to Think About

23 eb @ Running on E October 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Woowoo!! Yeah for taper. You have worked so hard! Relax. The hay is in the barn. You’ve got it!
eb @ Running on E recently posted..Race Recap: 7 Bridges Marathon

24 Diana October 22, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Enjoy your taper. You’re gonna rock that ironman!
Diana recently posted..Cowboy dessert table

25 Lorraine October 22, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I’ve been silently following your Ironman Training for a while now, and I just wanted to comment that I am seriously in awe of you and all of the other athletes that train for and complete an Ironman triathlon! My good friend completed Ironman Arizona in 2010 and I just remember being dumbfounded for months while she put in hours and hours of training! You really should be so proud of yourself!

I also wanted to comment and say that I love that bridesmaid dress!

26 sarahf October 24, 2013 at 6:00 am

Good luck. I’ve been reading all about your training (usually when I’m eating ice cream, heh heh) and I am so impressed at your determination.
Is that a bridesmaid dress in the wedding pictures? It’s lovely, a really nice cut, and the flowers really compliment it.
sarahf recently posted..Techno trauma