Over It

by Meghann on October 16, 2013

It’s my first week of taper and I have to admit that I’m not doing so hot.

20131005_161315.jpg

On Monday I skipped swim practice simply because I didn’t feel like going. To be fair, it had been over two weeks since my last rest day and I really wanted to spend an evening on my couch eating ice cream. Worth it.

I almost skipped swim on Tuesday, too.

I was bribed into going with the promise of brownies afterwards. It worked. I showed up. What can I say? I’m easy.

The only way I got through my swim this morning was by constantly reminding myself that I only had 2.5 weeks left of this. After that, I never have to swim again if I don’t want to. With each lap I kept reliving this fantasy of sleeping in until 7, going straight home after work, enjoying hot showers in the comfort of my own home, etc. I yearn for sleep. Lots and lots of sleep.

I broke down in tears after my swim when I realized my towel was missing from my swim bag. I had exactly 20 minutes to shower, get dressed, and be on my way to the office. Ugh.

I thought getting out of a cold pool and taking a cold shower was bad before… clearly I had no idea what I was talking about. It’s all 10x worse when you don’t have the comfort of a towel to warm you. I had to take my shower while still in my bathing suit, then stand there in the cold while I air dried. Brrrr…. not cool.

I tried my best to dry myself with the hand dryer and said a silent thank you to myself for packing a skirt and not pants for work today. I was still pretty wet getting my clothes on, but at least it was cotton (anything else would have been bad).

I was not in a good mood leaving the pool. I pretty much decided right then and there that that was my last morning swim practice. I’ll tag along for afternoon swim, but I’m done with the mornings. I think not having a towel was my last straw.

So, yeah, I’m over training. I keep telling myself I never have to work out again after Ironman Florida. I know that’s not true (I’ll probably take a nice long break then slowly ease my way back into everything), but that’s what I tell myself for now. It’s my light at the end of the tunnel.

You know… until I cross that finish line and start planning my next one. Stupid race high. It’ll get you everytime.

1 Lindsey October 16, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Don’t you have a half like the weekend after?

2 Meghann October 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Yes, like I said, I know I will work out again (especially running, I miss running 5 days a week), but right now it helps getting through my training workouts knowing they will be my last tri ones for a while. Plus, right now a half marathon feels like nothing compared to the 140.6 I need to get through first.

3 Megan October 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I was wondering about the half, too!

Are you still thinking you’ll do it? I can’t imagine your body will have recovered enough to do a half- even walking it!

4 Megan October 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Also, I’m really excited to see how this IM goes! I love to watch IM and have dreams of doing one someday (not soon!) but I’ve never even done a tri. 🙂

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Sometimes we all get worn down! Just pick yourself back up and take it a day at a time! That’s what I make sure to do 🙂

You are going to do awesome! Can’t wait to read all about it!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..My First Day of Cross Training

6 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 16, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Hang in there Meghann! You’re so close to the end — you can do it! 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Second Day Soup Pot Pies

7 Victoria October 16, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I think this is really common during IM taper. You’ve done the big confidence-boosting workouts – centuries, long bricks, etc – and now you have to WAIT to race. Which is annoying, because you did the work. It’s like studying hard for a test, and then having to wait 3 weeks to take it. It’s the worst.
Victoria recently posted..October 7-13: Look, It’s a Running Race!

8 MissPinkKate October 16, 2013 at 9:33 pm

You’re so close! Stick to the plan. These last 2.5 weeks will be over before you know it!

9 MissPinkKate October 16, 2013 at 9:50 pm
10 Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian October 16, 2013 at 9:38 pm

It’s the home stretch!

11 Becky @ Olives n Wine October 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Ugh… being “over” training is the worst! I feel you 🙁 Just think about how happy you’ll be when you do AMAZING at your actual race – and then all of the sleep you can get following it. Best of luck!!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Long Beach Half Marathon – Race Recap

12 emma October 17, 2013 at 12:17 am

You’ll be finished soon! Tapering is all about a bit of rest and some ice cream!
When do you plan on announcing the winner of the capris?

13 Sizzle October 17, 2013 at 7:36 am

Don’t you actually have to train in order to be “over” training?

14 Robin October 17, 2013 at 8:07 am

What does this even mean? Have you been reading this blog? This girl works out more than anyone I know. Maybe (hopefully) I’m misreading your comment. Meaghann you are awesome!

15 Chelle October 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

Compared to a few other blogs who’ve trained for Ironmans, Meghann’s training is a little lacking.

16 Carrie October 17, 2013 at 11:06 am

I know. I commend your training, but this is so much less training than most people do for an ironman (coming from someone who does ironmans) …and yes, I have a full time job and all that crap.

17 Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 17, 2013 at 8:08 am

You are so close to the end! And you have been doing amazing! Keep your eye on the prize 🙂
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 17, 2013 at 8:28 am

Girl, you have this in you! We’re all rooting for you and just try to remember that when you cross that finish line, every moment rough moment will feel worth it 150%!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Kettle-bell Supersets

19 CaitlinHTP October 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

Everyone needs a break every now and then.

No towel sounds horrible. You should pack an emergency pack for the back of your trunk (with undies and towels and maybe a spare work outfit)!
CaitlinHTP recently posted..Slow and Fast

20 Beth October 17, 2013 at 9:01 am

I’ve totally been there, it’ll pass quickly =) I am on the other side and just starting back up with full training for Ironman Los Cabos after taking 3 weeks easy after Lake Tahoe. I am actually looking forward to going to back to the routine.
Beth recently posted..So What’s Next?

21 Beth October 17, 2013 at 9:10 am

You are so so close! Hang in there kid. It’ll all be worth it when you cross that finish line and hear them say “YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!” (Also, remind me this next year when I want stop training. lol!)

22 Allison October 17, 2013 at 9:56 am

Almost done! Stay strong!

23 Emily @ The Good Era October 17, 2013 at 10:32 am

Stupid race high is right!! Gets you every single time.

Good luck, you are almost there. Can’t wait to see all your hard work pay off!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

24 Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries October 17, 2013 at 11:10 am

So I actually did IM Florida in 2004. And I have good news for you…what you are feeling/experiencing is totally normal. Tapering SUCKS. Especially when you have been working so hard for so long. Physically your body is kind of in limbo…as well as emotionally. When I was about 2 weeks out from the big day I was so tired/stressed/emotionally and physically “off” that I was literally laying in my bathroom crying. My mom didnt know quite what to think. Then two weeks later I was doing an Ironman. So hang in there, the hard work is done now, and soon you get to have the incredible experience of the race!!!!!
Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries recently posted..Find your own way

25 Melissa @Tryingtoheal October 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm

You’re so close! Give me a call if you want to chat!
Melissa @Tryingtoheal recently posted..Take Me To The Mountains: Mammoth Lakes, Pt. 1

26 Robyn @thereallife_RD October 17, 2013 at 12:33 pm

you are almost there!
i’m in that stage for marathon training [although that pales in comparison to IM training] and can totally relate! the thought of working out when and how I want to and sleeping in sounds amazing!
Robyn @thereallife_RD recently posted..WIAW: fig newton chia seed pudding

27 Ashley October 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Oh I am feeling for you!! You got this!
Ashley recently posted..Waaa Wednesday!

28 Runner Girl Eats October 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Hang in there! It’s almost there. Daydream about recovering on the couch during rough runs all the time and I swear its the only thing that gets me through lol

29 Ashley October 17, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Hang in there Meghann! You’re going to be amazing — and you’ve already proven that you’re strong enough by getting through the training. It’s all downhill, although I can’t imagine it feels like it right about now. Thanks so much for being so honest with us, sometimes it’s nice to know that we’re not the only ones that struggle during training 😉

30 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I’m impressed that you’ve had relatively few breakdowns considering how much you’ve had going on. This is totally reasonable! I’m sure you’ll feel better in a few days-just keep your eye on the prize!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Reason #892

31 Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat October 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I can only imagine how ready you are to race and be done with training. Marathon training can be consuming enough but IronMan…you are amazingly dedicated and awesome. You are going to rock this!
Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted..Hartford Marathon: First DNF

32 Luv What You Do October 17, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Luv that last paragraph!
i just wrote a ‘poem’ about how once you cross the finish line you forget it all : )

Enjoy our taper!!! Best of luck with your race!
Luv What You Do recently posted..Marathon {A Running Poem}

33 Reenie October 18, 2013 at 10:43 am

You’re almost there Meghann….. you’ve got this!!

(that being said…. I don’t know how you do it)

You rock!!

34 joelle (on a pink typewriter) October 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm

You got this girl! Hang in there – you’re soooooo close to the finish and this is such a great lifetime accomplishment.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..A Yogi Confession

35 Michelle October 18, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Oh girl, I totally feel your pain. I’m only doing a marathon and feel like ok let’s just get this done with! Finish line glory baby…. its within your reach. I can’t wait to hear all about it.

36 Annette @FitnessPerks October 18, 2013 at 2:35 pm

You’re soooooo close!! Can’t wait to hear all about the IM!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Fun Facts Friday {10/18}

37 Kate October 18, 2013 at 3:29 pm

YOU’RE GOING TO KICK SO MUCH ASS!!!!! seriously so, so proud of you. you’re 1% of the population and i can only imagine the adrenaline high you’re going to be on for days. can’t wait to hear about how it goes and i, as well as thousands of other people who know what it’s like to train this hard for something you want, know that you’re going to absolutely rock it. getting chills just thinking about you finishing it!

38 Diana October 18, 2013 at 9:12 pm

As I’m training for my first marathon in December while in grad school and working a full time job (and working 2 full time jobs all throughout summer) I have been very frustrated at times (mostly due to being tired) and lacked motivation. But what gets me through that door is telling myself that if other people are doing far greater things, I can finish another long run this Saturday. And you are one of those people. Reading about your progress as you train for the IM is one of the reasons why I haven’t given up and have pushed myself.

So even if I have no IM experience or results you can look up to, I’m hoping this, along with everyone else’s messages, will make you feel better today. Because we all know how you’re going to feel once you cross that finish line!
Diana recently posted..Marathon training weeks 2 & 3

39 Jess October 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Listen to your body NOTHING in these last 2 weeks is going to make or break the race….I needed sleep so I skipped EVERY SINGLE swim this week. I just keep telling myself “its worth it sleep is good I need sleep”

We are so close!

40 Peachylau October 20, 2013 at 5:27 am

you are doing so well! it has been great to share this journey with you!
Peachylau recently posted..Random #1 Ballet dancers in random situations