Ironman Training: Week 21

by Meghann on October 14, 2013

Peak training is complete!

Screen shot 2013-10-13 at 7.27.51 PM.png

Do you know what that means?! TIME TO TAPER!! Woo hoo!!

Admittedly the last week of peak training wasn’t terribly consuming, the biggest thing was my final long run. I was hoping to peak at 18 miles while training, but decided to drop it to 16. I still really good about that since my plan’s longest run was 150 minutes (which was what it took me to run the 16). Also, I split my long bike over Saturday and Sunday.

Monday

AM: 2400 yd Swim

• 200 warm up
  • 2×50 back
  • 2000 for time (36:28)
  • 100 cool down

2000 yds for time is always a fun way to start off a Monday.

I’m pretty sure 2000 yds (40 laps) is the longest I’ve swam in a pool without a break before. i spent the whole time repeating the lap numbers in my head so I wouldn’t forget which one I was on.

Tuesday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

Same ole, same ole. Followed the workout from my plan.

AM: 20 min Run

Weekly run with Maddie

PM: Swim

No swimsuit = No swim. Oh, well.

Wednesday

AM: 2600 m Swim

• 500
  • 5×100 w/ full pull kit
  • 200 kick
  • 4×50 hard @ 1:00
  • 200 kick
  • 5×100 w/ full pull kit
  • 500

Another Wednesday solo swim. My team decided to switch it up with an afternoon swim, but like having my Wednesday afternoons free.

Thursday

AM: 5 mi Run

• Warm-up to track
  • 6 x 1000 w/ 1:00 rest
  • Cool down home

I’ve been missing way too many track practices lately, it felt good to get back out there.

PM: 1800 yd Swim

• 400 warm-up
  • 3 x 100 hard @ 1:40 (1:26, 1:29, 1:30)
  • 200 easy
  • 3 x 100 hard @ 1:40 (1:26, 1:29, 1:30) <– same splits!
  • 200 easy
  • 3 x100 hard @ 1:40 (1:25, 1:30, 1:33)
  • 100 cool down

I’m really proud of this workout. I know they’re not the fastest splits of all time, but they’re fast for me. When I was first given the interval, I wasn’t sure I wasn’t going to make the cut. I pushed hard and surprised myself by not only making the interval, but smashing it. :)

Friday

AM: 16 mile Run

My final long run of training! I kept an even pace at the beginning, but switched to a 1:30 run/ :30 walk interval when I felt myself started to slow down. Those are my goal intervals for race day.

Saturday

XPgang.jpg

I met the XP gang at Ft. DeSoto for some group training.

AM: .75 mi Swim

Was hoping for a longer open water swim, but there was a shark sighting in the area that scared the crap out of my fellow swimmers. At least I got some swimming in.

AM: 29 mi Bike

Ft. DeSoto has a 15k loop that we did three loops of. The first loop was “easy” (aka I rode in the back while everyone else pulled me at their “easy” speed). The second and third laps were on our own at race pace. Well, my current race pace (I’m hoping to average 15 – 15.5 mph at Ironman Florida) is a little different than their current race paces, so my goal was just a tad bit faster.

We did a time trial start and I went first, with everyone quickly passing me. There was a bad headwind on the way out, but that also meant there was a nice tailwind on the way back. I found like hell through the headwind and enjoyed the tailwind as much as I could. The two loops went by fast and I ended up reaching my goal of even splits with an overall average of 16.5 mph. I’ll take it!

Sunday

AM: 30 mi Bike

I had plans of meeting my parents at Food & Wine Festival, so I brought my bike and stopped at the trail on the way and squeezed in 30 miles. My legs were tired from the long run and ride from the day before.

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 11

Miles: 101

Time: 11 hours 11 minutes

I guess 1 is my lucky number this week?!

Well, that’s it! It’s Taper Time! Holy cow – I can’t believe i made it! Not much longer now!

One last thing!

I had to share this. I heard Hector speak at the Rocketman Expo back in May and he really is an awesome guy. Despite losing his arms in a electrical accident a few years ago, he hasn’t given up his passion for adventures. He’s a 3x Ironman finisher and is currently riding his bike across the country. He recently shared this video of how he changes a tire without hands and it’s truly inspirational.

If he can change a tire that fast without hands, then surely none of us have any excuses when it comes to changing our own tires. Nada

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 14, 2013 at 10:25 pm

That video is amazing — inspirational indeed! 🙂

Congrats on reaching your taper! Enjoy the last bit of training!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Update: Thanksgiving Edition

2 Angela October 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Unrelated—but just curious if you ever heard back about how your donated hair was used? I’m thinking about cutting mine off soon for a cause and would love to be able to hear how it was used!
Angela recently posted..Sunshine Monday

3 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 14, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Great job on the training this week! I can’t believe you are already in the taper time. I am so excited for you!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Recap: 10/7 – 10/13

4 Lauren October 14, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Your training is incredibly inspiring – you’re going to rock this ironman!!

5 Ali October 15, 2013 at 12:47 am

Nice! All the hay is in the barn–just gotta rest up and stay healthy! Enjoy your taper, and I can’t wait to hear about your race!
Ali recently posted..This Week in Training: WC 7 October

6 Charlie @therunnerbeans October 15, 2013 at 6:04 am

Feeling so inspired having followed your ironman training- maybe I’ll sign up for a triathlon next summer…maybe!
Charlie @therunnerbeans recently posted..Human Race Kingston Run Challenge: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

7 Runner Girl Eats October 15, 2013 at 6:40 am

Congrats on finishing peak week! You have truly been so inspiring during all of your training. You will do great!

8 Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 15, 2013 at 8:36 am

Great job!!! I have loved reading about all your training and can’t wait to see how amazing your going to do during the race!! Good luck with the taper!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Running Motivation

9 Dori October 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

I can’t believe it’s been 21 weeks, I feel like you just started. Enjoy your taper, looking forward to hearing about race day!
Dori recently posted..Richmond Marathon Training: Week 13 – Portland Marathon Race Recap!

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 15, 2013 at 11:18 am

Ahhh enjoy taper! I cannot WAIT to hear about your race!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2013

11 Ashley October 15, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Enjoy the taper lady! So excited to hear ALL about the actual event. I thought about you watching the IM Kona coverage this weekend!

12 Sil October 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm

BTW, amazing video… I’m sending it to my hubby who rejects learning how to do it…even though we’re planning on doing an IM70.3 next year!
Sil recently posted..Terminé, ahora lo peor…!

13 mary @ minutes per mile October 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm

phew! that’s a lot!
enjoy your taper!
mary @ minutes per mile recently posted..my favorite bands to run with

14 Ashley October 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Try to keep busy during your taper 😉
Ashley recently posted..Leg day at bootcamp and the vampire bite for runners.

15 blackie o'reilly October 16, 2013 at 7:28 am

Doesn’t peak usually mean *more* than before?

16 Meghann October 16, 2013 at 9:04 pm

*Peak Training* refers to the second to last phase of Ironman training where you max out on your swim/bike/run. I peaked on the bike last week at 100 miles, but peaked during the run with my 16 miles which is my longest run of my training plan.

17 blackie o'reilly October 17, 2013 at 8:19 am

peaking in one discipline doesn’t mean you should slack off on the others though

18 Sierra Trainor October 16, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Good job!
Are you still doing the moving comfort giveaway? I thought you were announcing the winner this past Saturday.

19 Clara Lee October 16, 2013 at 2:59 pm

11 HOURS? That’s so awesome! Just started training for my very first marathon next year. Hope to get some pointers from your blog!

20 Belinda October 16, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for sharing that video! That’s incredible. I did 3 sprint tri’s this summer and got a flat during one and my chain fell off during another one. I could NOT get my tire off the wheel when I had a flat and 2 other bikers had to stop and assist me. I was so grateful for them, but next time I’m in that situation I’ll push even harder after having this video in my heart and head.

Awesome job training! I use your posted swim workouts all of the time. 🙂

21 Jennifer October 18, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Okay, I have the weirdest question and I hope you don’t take offense to it! Why do you slip one of your feet halfway out of your flipflop (the tattooed one)? I see it in a lot of your pictures! My cousin does the exact same thing and has no idea why she does it either! lol

22 Meghann October 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I think that’s just the way I stand. I have no idea I’m doing it, but I have had someone else point it out before.