Ironman Training: Week 20

by Meghann on October 7, 2013

BAM!

Screen shot 2013-10-07 at 9.31.33 PM.png

I had an amazing week of training. I’m still in disbelief with how many miles I’m logging. Not only have I done one century (something I never, ever thought I would do), but now I’ve done two. And you know what? They weren’t as scary as I thought they would be. Each long ride has been a great confidence booster and this last one was no different.

I’m looking forward to my final peak week of training – I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Taper time is almost here!

Monday

AM: 70 min Bike Trainer

Tough morning of intervals. After having the weekend off for work, it was nice to hop back on the bite.

AM: 20 min Run

Easy run with Maddie

Tuesday

AM: 5 mi Run

I just needed to get out for a run. I miss losing myself in a good morning run.

PM: 2500 yd Swim

I forgot to log the workout, but I remember there being a lot of 100s. 🙂

Wednesday

AM: 2400 m Swim

1379492_621435031212739_846762018_n.jpg

I got a group text on my way to the car that practice was cancelled. I was very tempted to head back to bed inside, but I knew I needed to get a swim in whether it was with my team or on my own. It was actually really nice to have the pool to myself. It was so quiet and peaceful.

• 500 warm up
  • 15 x 100 w/ full pull kit
  • 4 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 200 cool down

Thursday

AM: 6 mi Run

I skipped track practice in favor of being in my own head. I needed some time to think and there’s no better time to think than on a run. I did turn the run into a tempo and got some decent speedy miles in in the middle

PM: 1850 yd Swim

Warm -up:

• 1 x 300
  • 1 x 200
  • 1 x 300

Set:

• 75 steady
  • 25 back kick
  • 50 steady
  • 25 back kick
  • 25 steady
  • 30 x 25 @ :40 hard

100 cool down

The 30×25 burned! I felt like they were never going to end. back-to-back sprints where my goal was to keep a consistent pace.

Friday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

Nice and easy ride on the bike trainer to keep my legs loose for my long ride the next day.

Saturday

1374311_622837431072499_386979166_n.jpg

AM: 100 mi Bike

My main goal for this ride was to practice my nutrition. I pretty much stuffed my face the entire ride and got off the bike feeling great. It was also nice to have my siblings with me. The next time we’ll all be together will be in Panama City the Thursday before the race!

AM: 5 mi Run

I surprised myself with a kick butt run! Practiced 1:30 run/ :30 walk and felt great. Not sure about keeping that pace for 26.2 miles, but I will try for as along as I can hold onto it on race day!

Sunday

AM: 11.1 mi Run

I was expecting this run to be slow and painful, and while it wasn’t my best run ever, it wasn’t the worst either. My legs felt great and my body was strong – a good sign I’m getting close to the end of my training!

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 11

Miles: 166

Time: 16 hours 14 minutes

Just one more week until taper time! WOO HOO!

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 7, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Whew, what a week! You’re rocking it!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..The Sunshine Award

2 Show me Ashley October 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I can not wait to see your Ironman recap! All this incredible training, you are rocking it!

3 Amy October 7, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Regarding your last post and peeing on the bike. If you can’t do it, but need a rest stop-just hop off your bike at a grassy area, sit down, pretend to adjust your shoe or something…and go! I’ve never done it, but a friend of mine has-Ironman isn’t always pretty. Good luck!

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 7, 2013 at 11:47 pm

What an awesome week of training! You are doing so awesome! You are going to do amazing in your ironman! I know it!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Monday Morning Sunshine

5 Emily October 7, 2013 at 11:50 pm

You are going to kick some booty at this race, girl. Well done!
Emily recently posted..Weekend Recap – Reads, Runs, and Reservoirs

6 Megan (The Lyons' Share) October 8, 2013 at 12:40 am

Dang, 16 hours is legit!!! Congratulations! I’m especially impressed with the Wednesday swim – getting that text would have been a perfect excuse to crawl back into bed, but you showed your dedication!
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..National Mental Illness Awareness Week

7 Mary October 8, 2013 at 3:39 am

166 miles?! WOW! Bet you’re looking forward to the taper now though!
Mary recently posted..Mablethorpe marathon

8 Ali October 8, 2013 at 5:45 am

Killer week of training! You’re getting so close to the race! Squeezing those centuries in there is so important–you’re going to be really glad you did that. 🙂 Good luck with the next week!
Ali recently posted..Seven disciplines of triathlon

9 Runner Girl Eats October 8, 2013 at 6:24 am

Another awesome week 🙂
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Pink Post: What Angelina Jolie and I have in common

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 8, 2013 at 6:35 am

I can’t believe how many miles you’re logging either! 166! That’s crazy! You’re so close!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..GoldPlaited–Chicago Finishing Salon

11 stephanie @ healthy, happy stephanie October 8, 2013 at 7:30 am

That brick workout is insane! Good work. 🙂
stephanie @ healthy, happy stephanie recently posted..NYCM Training: 4 Weeks To Go!

12 Erica October 8, 2013 at 8:03 am

Holy crap girl! That’s freakin awesome! You’ve really worked your butt off during this whole training period. I can’t wait to see it all pay off! Way to go!
Erica recently posted..Survivor Spotlight Saturday

13 Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 8, 2013 at 8:17 am

Great week!! Can’t wait to see the race and how it goes for you! You WILL rock it!!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Meatball Soup

14 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life October 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

Holy Cow, 166 Miles!!?!?! That is awesome! You are totally going to rock this race!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Hiking Old Rag Mountain

15 Chatelaine October 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

Nice job!!! I have a question for you, when you go for your morning week day runs, is it pitch black? I’ve been going in the mornings and the blackness is really wearing me out. I spend the whole time running, nervous. Was spooked by coyotes and raccoons the other morning and I’m trying to be tough, but like I said it’s starting to wear me down……..

16 Jen October 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm

What an amazing week! I hope I could have the same motivation that you have to continue training. Thanks for sharing!
Jen recently posted..Will 5:2 Fast Formula Work For you?

17 Ashley October 8, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Amazing! Seriously amazing Meghann! So inspirational!

18 Steph October 8, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Great job!!!
Steph recently posted..You Dirty Girl You (and an oh-so-dirty GIVEAWAY)

19 Amanda October 9, 2013 at 10:28 am

Do you have the Garmin 910?

20 jillian October 9, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Wow, congratulations. you are totally amazing… such an inspiration! 🙂