One Month To Go!

by Meghann on October 2, 2013

It’s official! There’s exactly one month to go until Ironman Florida!

Screen shot 2013-10-02 at 9.04.45 PM.png

Woo hoo!

I feel like Ironman training comes in different stages…

First there’s the commitment stage. This happens a full year in advance when you register for the race. This stage is easy because you still have a year (which is practically an eternity, right?) to train. I don’t think it’s really sunk in yet how much time training will take from your life.

After that there’s the base-building phase, where you start casually building up the miles in each sport. This is the fun stage because you know you’re working towards the goal, but the time commitment isn’t there yet.

A couple months after that there’s the training phase, where you start the 24-week plan you found online. This is is the phase when it all starts to sink in. It’s when you start to question your abilities and time committed to training. You refuse to check out the final phase in the training plan because reading realizing you’ll eventually spend 7 hours on a bike just seems impossible. Gulp.

Finally there’s the peak stage of training when you’re just ready to do the darn thing. You’ve had 11 months of build up and have put your blood, sweat, and tears in it. You’ve already done a century and gotten a couple of good runs in. You’re tired of spending time away from and family and just want to race.

I’m at that point in training – I’m just ready to race. 😉

Through every training phase, there’s one thing in common – the Ironman is ALL YOU CAN THINK ABOUT IT. It’s also all you can talk about and all that anyone can ask about. How’s training going? Are you nervous? When’s the big day? How’s your nutrition plan? Have you tried XYZ yet? Honestly, I forgot what other people talk about besides Ironman training.

I’m going to miss talking about training (seriously, what else am I going to talk about now?), but I’m not going to miss the time away from my husband, the cold showers at the pool, the 5:00am alarm clocks, etc….

I had one of those cold showers this morning.

coldpool.jpg

As the season drags on, the pool is steadily growing colder and colder each morning. (the showers are too). There’s no greater motivation for the season to be over than a cold pool. brrr… I’m so glad I don’t live up north. I’m such a wimp when it comes to cool temps!

I still have two more phases to hit with training: taper and race day. I’m looking forward to both. I just have to get through the next two weeks and I’ll be there (my last long bike is this week, but my last long swim and run are next week).

1 Maddy Lucas October 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Hey Meghann,

I’ve been following your blog for a few months now, I too am training for Ironman, the Melbourne, Australia 2014 event! It’s so great to see your posts as you move closer and closer to the big DAY! I’m like “yes, I think that too” and, “yes I do that too”, when I’m reading your entries 🙂

All the best for your last month of training, the hardest part is almost over! When the big day come be sure to enjoy every moment, you’ve earned it.

Only the Best,
Maddy

p.s if you have time in your busy schedule, check out my blog – http://thesweatstation.blogspot.com.au/
Maddy Lucas recently posted..Go on, surprise yourself.

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs October 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Amazing! Best of luck in this last month of your training!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..My Trainer Bob

3 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 2, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I can’t believe it’s already only a month away! Good luck in this last month! You are going to do awesome!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..How To Be a Great Race Spectator and FlipBelt Giveaway Winner!

4 Sil October 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Ha! you say “Through every training phase, there’s one thing in common – the Ironman is ALL YOU CAN THINK ABOUT IT”….You make me smile because I’m feeling just the same way about my NYC marathon on 11/3 🙂 🙂 🙂 !!! It’s the only think I can think/talk about, it’s insane…
So the time is coming!!! You know you already did your hard work, now it’s time to mentally prepare for THE big day. Happy tapering!

5 Mary October 3, 2013 at 1:44 am

I have spent the past few months working up towards a 50 mile ultra which is at the end of the month. I’m in the ‘I’m just ready to do the darn thing’ stage now too. I feel like I’ve been training hard forever and am looking forward to getting my teeth into the distance, followed by a much more relaxed exercise program for a while. So I know your frustration!
Mary recently posted..Sunshine Award

6 Charlie @therunnerbeans October 3, 2013 at 5:33 am

I’m going to miss reading your recaps!!!
Charlie @therunnerbeans recently posted..40 Minute Hill Treadmill Workout

7 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy October 3, 2013 at 7:30 am

You’ve been working so hard! I admire you so much. I know just marathon training, I’ve been through so many emotions. I couldn’t imagine an iron man! Although it is one of my life goals!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..First Time In Ages

8 Brittany October 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

Best of luck! Have a good taper and enjoy your race – looking forward to reading about it!!
Brittany recently posted..Dallas Weekend Recap & Balance

9 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 3, 2013 at 8:46 am

There is always something new to talk about; they just come in stages. “What did we talk about before the wedding?” “What did we talk about before the baby?” What did we talk about before the race?”

Good luck on the rest of your training, and I’m sure you’ll have another adventure after to celebrate!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Just a Post to Say…

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 3, 2013 at 8:48 am

Eek, out of all your crazy training, cold pools/showers sound like the WORST! Yayyy for one month to go!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Butternut squash burrito, hoarding and Brad Pitt

11 Liz @ The Shrinking Owl October 3, 2013 at 8:48 am

You know, they do have heated pools up here in the north. JUST SAYIN’.
Liz @ The Shrinking Owl recently posted..What I’ve Been Doing

12 Michele October 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

I can’t wait to read all about the next two phases! I can’t believe it has been so long since you said you were going to do it…time has flown for those of us not in training like you 🙂
Michele recently posted..My Husband Ran Instead

13 Allison October 3, 2013 at 9:34 am

In 1 month, it will all be worth it!
Allison recently posted..What would happen to the US economy if we all got our financial house in order? , th

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm

You are in the home stretch, and the feeling at the end, I’m sure, is going to be so so worth it. You’re doing such a great job, and I’m in awe of your commitment!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..TV Junky

15 Ashley October 3, 2013 at 3:42 pm

It’s getting so close! What an amazing accomplishment!

16 Amanda @runtothefinish October 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm

WHYYYY does the race have to be the same weekend as NYC!! I would love to come cheer you on againi! Oh well I know you’ll do more 🙂 I give you major props for the dedicated training!
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..Colorado Lovin: A Vacation Every Weekend

17 Annette @FitnessPerks October 3, 2013 at 5:35 pm

You’re awesome! You’ll def rock the race!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Fall Fashion Ideas

18 Chelle October 3, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Would you consider doing a post where you talk about your siblings’ training?

19 Courtney October 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

When it comes to pool swimming, I think we have it better up North since the pools are all heated and indoors… but you definitely have us beat when it comes to weather. My 100 mile bike ride this weekend is going to around 50 degrees with wind. UGH.

20 Laura @ Backstage Balance October 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

You’re going to do great! So excited for you 🙂
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..Fall Race Calendar

21 Ali October 5, 2013 at 2:57 am

OMG, I know exactly what you mean about being ready to race. When I trained for my last IM, I was so ready to race that I could barely get through my peak weeks before the taper. I just wanted to get on the course. My then-boyfriend-now-husband endured A LOT of my bitching during the taper! Good luck getting through–you’re going to do great!
Ali recently posted..Finding My People

22 Sonia the Mexigarian October 7, 2013 at 9:59 am

Yep, feel that way about my marathon in December. And I’m scared sh*tless (as my papa would say)

I love reading your updates on training. 🙂
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Marathon Training Week 6 +advice needed