Ironman Training: Week 19

by Meghann on September 29, 2013

Well, that was a surprisingly crazy week.

Not exactly crazy training-wise, just crazy life-wise in general. On top of training, last week I had book club, dinner out with the in-laws, and I had to work over the weekend. Luckily, work didn’t involve any flights, just an hour and a half drive that had the bonus of getting to see some friends and family members kick butt on race day. (I love my job. 🙂 )It’s a good thing it was a recovery week, otherwise I’m not sure I would have been able to fit much else in.

We also had an unusual amount of rain last week. It’s very rare when it rains all day in Florida. Usually we get an afternoon thunderstorm that lasts an hour or two and that’s it. It pretty much rained for three days straight here, so stranger.

Monday

AM: REST

I was planning a swim after work, but the rain moving in made that a no-go. Can’t say I complained too much about that. Surprisingly I felt pretty good after my century ride the day before. I’ll take that as a good sign.

Tuesday

AM: 80 min Bike Trainer

I had originally stopped at 70 with the plan to run some, but it was raining and I’m a wuss. So I hopped back on the trainer for an additional 10 minutes.

PM: 28250 yd Swim

• Warm-up: 4 x 150 (75 free, 25 back, 50 kick)
  • 12 x 100 w/ pull kit @ 2:00
  • 100 hard w/ pull buoy
  • 8 x 25 hard starting in middle of pool
  • 100 hard
  • 50 easy
  • 300 hard
  • 25 hard, 25 easy
  • 50 hard, 25 easy
  • 75 hard, 25 easy
  • cool down: 50

The rain let up just long enough to get a decent swim in on Tuesday evening.

Wednesday

AM: 60 min Trainer

I was loading up my car, about to head to morning swim, when my coach cancelled practice. It was raining and lightening had been spotted in the area – darn! So I went right back inside and hopped on the trainer for an easy 60 minute ride.

Thursday

AM: 2800 m Swim

• 500
  • 5×100 full pull kit w/ :15 rest
  • 100 kick
  • 400
  • 4×100 full Pull kit
  • 100 kick
  • 300
  • 3×100 full pull kit
  • 100 kick
  • 100 cool down

This was a solo swim. I was determined to get at least one more swim practice in during the week and was thankful for the clear skies that decided to officially reappear. Unfortunately all the rain made for a cold pool – brrrr. Oh, and the post-pool showers weren’t much better. Sigh.

Friday

AM: 12 mile run

I wanted to get at least one decent run in this week and knew that working over the weekend would make that impossible, so I snuck a long run in before I left on Friday. I was hoping to do a little more, but was paranoid I was going to be late (instead ended up being super early). Luckily the run felt great and I know I could have finished it off if I had more time.

Saturday

AM: Nada

It was a long work day and I wasn’t able to sneak anything in. However, I always like to think that lifting heavy boxes and being on my feet a lot of the day always makes for a good workout.

Sunday

AM: Nada

Another work day, but again, I was on my feet all day and probably covered more than a few miles thanks to all the back and forth walking I was doing. (also, my legs hurt worst at the end of the day than they did after the 12 mile run!).

On the plus side, i did get to see my sister-in-law Ashley conquer her FIRST triathlon with her friend Amanda! I’m so proud of them!

ashleytris.jpg

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 5

Miles: 51

Time: 6 hours 32 minutes

I know this week was easy, but next week is going to be tough. It will be my toughest week of my training plan. I’ve got another century with a brick attached, a long run, and I’m hoping to throw an open water swim in there (if I can find a partner to do it with me). After that it’s taper time for the bike (can you believe it?!). However, I shouldn’t get too excited. Tapering for an Ironman still means a 50 mile bike ride. :/

1 Becky @ Olives n Wine September 29, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Whew – your week does sound like it was busy!! Great job fitting in so many workouts during your busy week. I need your motivation 🙂
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Sunday Funday + Weekly Eats and Fitness

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs September 29, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Once again I’m impressed with your training & how you manage to fit everything in! Way to go!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

3 Caroline September 29, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Ha! I guess it’s all relative, huh?! 50 miles on a taper – wow! Does this mean that you start tapering for the different legs at different times? I’d love to hear more about the thought process behind this one!
Caroline recently posted..Weekly RUNdown

4 Niki September 29, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Great training this week Meghann!
Niki recently posted..Unplugging

5 Angela September 29, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Your family members are all so active! I bet you all just inspire eachother constantly!
Angela recently posted..Wedding Week Day Five [-bridal party-]

6 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 29, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Wow your week sounds crazy!! I hope it slows down for you some! Great job still getting a good amount of workouts in! You are really inspiring!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Recap: 9/22 – 9/29

7 Nicky September 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I’m really impressed how you can fit that all in. Thanks for laying out your schedule. I’m definitely going to try and match up to that with my training. Good luck!

8 Runner Girl Eats September 30, 2013 at 6:39 am

You are going to rock this IM! I can’t wait to hear all about it. I also love that your family has caught the tri bug 😉
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Sweet Potato Red Pepper Soup+White Cheddar Beer Bread

9 Farah @ Fabulously Farah September 30, 2013 at 9:33 am

Being on your feet and lifting heavy boxes and things all day definitely counts as a workout! I hope this week goes well for you.

10 Emily:2:design:cents September 30, 2013 at 11:49 am

You go girl! Are you constantly sore-or does your body get used to it?
Emily:2:design:cents recently posted..FASHION 2 CENTS: A CASE OF THE MONDAYS

11 Meghann September 30, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I’m not as sore as I used to be, I think my body is growing used to it.

12 Annette @FitnessPerks September 30, 2013 at 3:14 pm

You’re amazing!! So impressed with how you do it all. Way to go!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..BabyMoon Success! + Winner

13 Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind September 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Great week of workouts! Especially Sunday’s nada.
Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind recently posted..This is…Sparta!

14 Ashley September 30, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Ashley looks great! That’s so cool for her — looks like you and your brother have obviously rubbed off on her!

Oh and PS: You’re an all star, as always. Your work outs are CRAZY!

15 Peachylau September 30, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Your weeks are going to seem so long once the race is over. I am still in admiration by your organisation and determination to fit all this exercise in!
Peachylau recently posted..Traffic Dos and Don’ts: A Checklist

16 joelle (on a pink typewriter) September 30, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I’m impressed you were able to sneak in 12 miles on a Friday morning.. I’m always too anxious about getting to work on time.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Scenes From The {Not Quite Fall} Weekend

17 Chelle September 30, 2013 at 8:49 pm

How close are you keeping to your training plan? Just curious.

18 Meghann September 30, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Fairly close. My long run was a little longer than the plan suggested last week and I added an extra “rest” day because I had to work.