My Favorite Cookies

by Meghann on September 25, 2013

I had a huge craving for cookies on Saturday; something not so atypical this training season (my sweet tooth has been out of control!). In an attempt to satisfy that craving, Derek and I stopped at the store on our way home to pick up all the ingredients needed to make chocolate chip cookies. Something else not so atypical… as soon as we got home I decided to “rest my eyes” on the couch and ended up taking a two hour nap. Whoops. The cookies never got made, but man did I enjoy that nap.

The next day I was up at 4:00am and on my way to ride my first century in Orlando by 4:30. It was a long and tiring day. I kept my phone in my back jersey pocket for the ride, but largely ignored it except to take photos at rest stops. The phone remained quiet for the majority, but started to beep when we were a few miles out. I decided to hold off checking it until we made it back to the finish.

Once we crossed the finish line I had a couple of missed calls (from my mom) and this photo:

IMG_2081.jpg

Chocolate chip cookies.

Derek knew how much I wanted cookie, so he followed the recipe on the back of the bag of Nestle Chocolate Chips and made a full plate of beautiful cookies. Please keep in mind this is someone who had never made cookies before in his life. In fact, when we were started dating, he asked if I wanted to pick the dough up from the refrigerated section at Publix when I said “let’s make cookies” for the first time.

The cookies were amazing. Easily my favorite cookies of all time. I think the fact that he made them from scratch because he knew I would want cookies after my 100 mile bike ride made them even more special.

They also made GREAT ice cream cookie sandwiches.

20130922_203648.jpg

Derek and I easily polished off the plate of cookies in a few short days. I even brought a few to work to share with my co-workers (they went fast).

I know I’ve mentioned it a million and one times on here, but I could not have made it through the last few months of training without have an amazing partner. Derek has really stepped up with helping with meals, cleaning the house, taking care of Maddie, and has not once complained about how much time I’ve been away from him. I don’t know what I did to deserve a great guy like him, but I’m incredibly thankful to have him in my life.

We actually had somewhat of a free day on Saturday, so we took advantage of some free tickets to the zoo (I won them at a Yelp event last year and they were about to expire) and enjoyed the day.

zoo.jpg

I’m pretty sure we were the only couple there not pushing a stroller. Is that what families with toddlers do? They do to the zoo? I’ll need to remember that one.

1 Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) September 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Food always tastes better when it’s made special for you! When I was pregnant, my fiance made me zebra cheesecake brownies when I was craving them and they were fantastic!
Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) recently posted..Avocado toast: My new “best thing ever.”

2 Mrs. Swan September 25, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Awww that is so sweet of him!!! They look a little crispy but sometimes that is exactly what you want. I would make some for my house but I think they would tempt me to much. :/
Strollers are awesome for little toddler legs that get tired fast.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Stay-cation is turning into a Sick-cation

3 Megan (The Lyons' Share) September 25, 2013 at 11:54 pm

That is SO sweet! Endurance training is definitely a team sport in that it takes others to support you in achieving your goals. I really believe that relationships in general are about tradeoffs – one person supports the other when needed, and you flex according to whatever is going on. It doesn’t have to be 50/50 every day as long as the support is mutual!
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..Exercising and Preparing Healthy Food: A Tradeoff?

4 Mary September 26, 2013 at 1:51 am

Awwww bless him! It helps to have support at home when things get tough with training, and you are training way more than I ever have! Glad the cookies turned out well too…they are actually making me want a cookie right now! 🙂
Mary recently posted..A trip to A&E

5 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs September 26, 2013 at 6:39 am

Awww, what a nice guy 🙂
The cookies do look delicious! Having them made for you is the special ingredient 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Road Tripping

6 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner September 26, 2013 at 6:45 am

Derek definitely sounds like a winner! That ice cream cookie sandwich looks epic.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Getting Creative

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 26, 2013 at 6:53 am

How sweet!! Any guy willing to make you cookies from scratch, sounds like a keeper in my book! 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Connecting the Dots

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 26, 2013 at 7:43 am

awwww that is so sweet! He sounds like he has just been an amazing, supportive husband. You got a good one!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

9 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats September 26, 2013 at 8:31 am

aw that is so sweet! I was like Derek before dating my fiance. I thought pillsbury break and bake was homemade. Ooops.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Fall colors, reading material, squash and a workout DVD

10 Laura September 26, 2013 at 8:49 am

So sweet of him! I have a story to top the prepared cookies dough story: When we first started dating and were grocery shopping, I went to the banana’s and grabbed a bunch and broke off what I needed. My husband (bf at the time) was like “what are you doing?!” and I said I was breaking off what I needed. “You can do that?!” completely shocked. He thought you had to buy the exact amount of banana’s that were out. lol.

11 Lesley September 26, 2013 at 8:53 am

Awww! Now I’m in the mood to make cookies. Why not? It’s cool enough now so I can start baking again.
Lesley recently posted..Mr. Grumpygills

12 Nicole September 26, 2013 at 9:44 am

Homemade cookies after a long race, what a great guy!

13 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 26, 2013 at 10:06 am

Food always tastes better when you know a lot of love was put behind them to make it 🙂 I know how important it is to have a supportive spouse! I’ve been one and I have one so there will be sometime in the future where you will have to do the same for Derek I’m sure! That is part of the fun of marriage 🙂 Enjoy the rest of your week!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..I Have a Femoral Stress Fracture

14 Katie September 26, 2013 at 12:59 pm

How cool! I think he likes you 🙂 !

15 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm

That is really nice of him! It’s the little things like that that make such a huge difference in the long run 🙂
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW: It’s In The Air

16 Ashley September 26, 2013 at 2:12 pm

What an AMAZING husband! Talk about brownie (or cookie) points for this one here. I think your boy has ladies “awwwweing” and swooning all over the globe 🙂

17 Emily September 26, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Mmm, cookies! Derek is a champ.

Yes, families with toddlers do the zoo. It’s an outdoor, relatively enclosed environment where they can run around like maniacs, but you can be mildly entertained by the animals so it’s not as brain-numbingly boring like the playground can be. And apparently it’s educational, especially when potty training.
Emily recently posted..Protected: Thursday. Yup.

18 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners September 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I seriously cannot handle how sweet that is! Seriously, the support crew (be it spouses, sibs, parents, friends) that help us through these endurance events really deserve a medal just as much as the participants. Go Derek!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

19 Lisa September 26, 2013 at 2:29 pm

awwww, that is so sweet of him!!! That ice cream cookie sandwich looks DELCIOUS!!!! 🙂
Lisa recently posted..Do You Remember?

20 Caroline September 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Ah, that is so sweet!! (pun intended 🙂 Glad you got a “fun” day in at the zoo this weekend – everyone needs a little rest and fun sometimes! You may be crazy busy right now, but think how much time it’ll seem like you’ve “gained” once the Ironman’s done…unless of course you go for another or reach even higher, which I feel like completing a race always does for me – I have to set new goals 🙂
Caroline recently posted..Thursday’s Thoughts

21 Carolyn September 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Zoo, children’s museum, aquarium, mall play area… Yeah. You just get ready. 😉

Samantha turns ONE Monday. Where did it go??

22 Beth September 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Super nice of Derek! Nick also loves CCC. I went to Lowry Park a couple of weeks ago with my sister and nephew and it was packed with strollers! It’s perfect for toddlers. My nephew is a year and a half and loves it. Plus it’s pretty inexpensive. Glad you had a little R&R from all the training. 🙂
Beth recently posted..14 Weeks

23 joelle (on a pink typewriter) September 26, 2013 at 5:34 pm

That’s so sweet! Love surprises, especially thoughtful (and chocolatey) ones like that!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Eat Your Pancakes

24 Jen September 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Adorable!

25 Sarahf September 27, 2013 at 7:19 am

Aw! When you work out what you did to deserve such a sweetie, make sure you let us all in on the secret! Such support makes a huge difference to training!
Sarahf recently posted..Fried Brain Friday

26 Caitlin September 27, 2013 at 7:38 am

keeeeeeper!

27 Emily:2:design:cents September 27, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Awww so cute! Love when man is so supportive of his lady!
Emily:2:design:cents recently posted..20 Most Wanted Brands By Women?

28 Annette @FitnessPerks September 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm

That is SUCH a sweet story!!! love <3
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Fun Facts Friday {9/27}

29 Mrs. HardCORE September 28, 2013 at 10:54 am

As you can tell by my name, I am all about my CORE. That icecream sandwich look awesome! Sooo thoughtful of your man. I would have to add 20 minutes to my ruitine to fully enjoy that cookie guilt free!
Mrs. HardCORE recently posted..GoFit Elevated Chin-Up Station