Day in the Life: September 17, 2013

by Meghann on September 18, 2013

It’s been a while since I’ve done a “Day in the Life” post. I’m still going to try do them once a month, August just got a little crazy. Here’s what yesterday looked like in my world:

5:00am: Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.

5:05am: Beep. Beep. Ugh. Again. Time to really get up.

5:06am: Take Maddie out. Let her do her thing.

5:10am: Change into tri-shorts and top, fill water bottle, and eat part of a Clif bar.

5:20am: Hop on bike trainer. Begin Week 18 workout while watching Season 7 of Army Wives on NetFlix via my iPad.

20130917_064906.jpg

(eh. it’s a garage. garages are supposed to be messy, right?)

6:30am: Finish trainer workout. Try not to fall when getting off of bike.

6:35am: Change shoes, grab Maddie, and leave for 20 minute run. Maddie practically does flips in excitement, this is her favorite part of the week.

6:55am: Return home. Hop in shower.

7:10am: Spend 5 minutes too long trying to figure out what to wear for work. Grab pair of pants that need to be ironed. Waste 5 minutes trying to iron them on top of the washing machine. Give up and wear half-ironed pants to work. (Confirm once again I really have no patience to “properly” iron clothes).

7:20am: Prepare coffee, lunch bag and swim bag.

7:30am: Gather dinner supplies and write out recipe for Derek to start in the crock pot when he’s home during lunch. (we’re having chicken tortilla soup)

7:40am: Make breakfast. (Chobani yogurt, granola, walnuts, peach, and raspberries <- just realized I don’t have a photo!)

7:50am: Feed Maddie.

8:00am: Leave for work with coffee in hand.

20130917_080053.jpg

8:15am: Curse Tampa traffic.

8:30am: Arrive at work and begin the work day.

10:00am: Mid-morning snack of hard boiled eggs.

20130917_094958.jpg

12:20pm: Eat lunch at desk.

20130917_121713.jpg

(leftover meatloaf, cucumber slices, Triscuits, cheese stick, and La Croix – talk about random!)

3:00pm: Apple and almond butter snack.

20130917_152727.jpg

4:00pm: Nibble on peanut butter cookie co-worker brought from McAllisters.

20130917_155714.jpg

6:00pm: Leave work in rain. Cross fingers swim practice isn’t cancelled.

6:20pm: Arrive at pool. Still raining, but pool is open. Yippee!

20130917_182448.jpg

6:30pm: Start swim practice.

• 300 warm up
  • 8 x 25 accelerations
  • 5 x 300 @ 6:00
  • 50 easy
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 50 cool down

7:00pm: Still raining. Stop every time whistle is blown. Positive they’re going to kick us out of the pool, but it doesn’t happen.

7:35pm: Finish practice. Remain amazed that it rained, but no thunder or lightning – definitely not normal in Florida.

7:45pm: Drive home. Call Derek and let him know to shred the chicken in the crock pot. Call Mom and Dad and play catch up from the weekend (My dad was my brother’s kayak support for a 2 mile swim he did over the weekend, how cool is that?)

8:10pm: Arrive home. House smells AMAZING. Quickly shower and change into pajamas.

8:25pm: Take bowl of chicken tortilla soup from Derek and generously add extra cilantro and cheese.

20130917_202609.jpg

8:50pm: Prepare swim bag, breakfast, and lunch for the morning.

9:10pm: Snuggle on couch and watch Meet the Parents. Decide to ignore the computer for the night.

10:00pm: Realize I’ve fallen asleep when Derek starts to carry me to bed.

10:05pm: Force myself out of bed to wash my face and brush my teeth.

10:15pm: Hit the pillow hard.

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs September 18, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Whew, even reading this makes me tired!
Congrats on your dedication to your training — you are doing an amazing job!

Have a great night 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Welcome to Target!

2 Alex September 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Hello!

Do you usually go to bed at 10 and wake up at 5 or just on extra busy days? Do you catch up on sleep on the weekend or do you only need 7 hours?

Just wondering cos I usually go to bed at 11ish and wake up between 6.30 and 7, but I’ve been really sleepy during the day – I know everyone’s different but sometimes I wonder if I’m sleepy from snoozing all morning and I don’t actually need the full 8 hours!

3 Meghann September 18, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Somedays I wake up at 5:30, but I’m usually in bed by 10 (or earlier). I wish I could get more sleep, but that’s just what I’m able to get right now. Unfortunately weekends aren’t any better. I get sleepy in the afternoon and usually make a cup of tea for a caffeine boost.

4 Shay September 19, 2013 at 10:46 pm

If you showered at 8 why did you need to wash your face at 10? lol

5 Meghann September 21, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Because I have special old lady face wash and night cream that I keep by the sink to wash and coat my face with right before I go to bed.

6 Mrs. Swan September 18, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Awww that is so sweet that Derek carries you to bed! After 10 years of marriage I tell my husband to get up and get his ass in bed when I see him snoozing. (In my defense he stays up watching shows till 2-3 am and gets up at 6 am to get the kids to school then sleeps another 2 hours before he goes to school. Drives me NUTS when he falls asleep in the LR as he should be going to bed at a proper time not staying up watching 80 million shows and series)
Mrs. Swan recently posted..WI tomorrow

7 Sonia the Mexigarian September 23, 2013 at 3:04 pm

same with my husband. I have woken up in the middle of the night to find him not in bed, but passed out on the couch, TV on and dog on the floor guarding him. haha. last time he slept on the couch I had to be quiet in getting ready for my early 5 am run. he woke up anyways. i guess he “felt” me staring at him 🙂
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Attack of the weekend

8 Katie @ balanced RD September 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm

That is a crazy busy day!!! I can definitely see why you fall asleep on the couch!
Katie @ balanced RD recently posted..Starting September

9 Stephanie September 18, 2013 at 9:20 pm

That’s such a long day! I’m impressed that you get through it with minimal amounts of caffeine.

10 [email protected] September 18, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I need to start getting up a little earlier for a morning workout. No excuses! 🙂 Awesome job!!
[email protected] recently posted..The Inaugural Disneyland 10k aka Running In Wonderland

11 Megan (The Lyons' Share) September 18, 2013 at 10:02 pm

You are so efficient! On the trainer 15 minutes after you’re out of bed? That’s awesome! Way to go for being so dedicated and getting this all in!
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..Staying Fit with Your Kids

12 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 18, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Love day in the life posts! You have had quite the busy day!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Not All Workouts “Work Out”

13 brianna September 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm

When do u spend time being a newlywed?! My goodness your derek time is teeny!

14 Mary September 19, 2013 at 1:30 am

What a super busy day!
I’m in bed by 10 too. I used to find it weird getting to bed so early, but now I know I need my sleep for a 5:30am start!
I’ve been quite good lately, but my boyfriend used to have to carry me up the stairs all the time!
Mary recently posted..Bristol half marathon

15 mary @ minutes per mile September 19, 2013 at 5:35 am

i always enjoy reading day in the life posts. so interesting to see how people juggle it all! that is a lot of swimming/running/biking! 🙂
mary @ minutes per mile recently posted..good news & bad news

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 19, 2013 at 7:07 am

Wow! Definitely busy from start to finish! But good thing you’ve got someone to carry you to bed at night. 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Seven HLS Takeaways!

17 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian September 19, 2013 at 8:52 am

Haha sounds like a day in my life. Especially like the falling asleep on the couch part. Happens to me practically every night around the same time.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Marine Corps Marathon Training: Week 12

18 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 19, 2013 at 10:38 am

Wow! That is quite a full day. I think this is why I couldn’t ever train for anything major-I couldn’t have that much of my day scheduled. Great job!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Who Doesn’t Love It?

19 Amanda @runtothefinish September 19, 2013 at 11:54 am

Triathlon training really is no joke… I do think I should give it a go next summer, as I just can’t take another summer in florida of doing marathon training.

LOVE that someone else sucks at ironing!!
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..Hip Stability Exercises to prevent ITBS and Runner’s Knee

20 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner September 19, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Wow, I feel really lazy reading this!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Moving Nightmares

21 Floey September 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm

This is exhausting! I barely workout for 20min a day and even that poops me out
Floey recently posted..Need

22 Ashley September 19, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I know you’re busy — but to see a day in the life. Woof lady! You are impressive!

23 Ashley September 20, 2013 at 9:14 am

Wow! That is such a long and productive day. Love your meals, even your most random look amazing!!
Ashley recently posted..Bitterness- Be gone.

24 Jessica September 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

Meghann, my mom got us this for xmas one year.. you can get it cheaper on overstock I think. Anyway, it’s a GREAT alternative to an iron. Heats up super fast, just wand it over your clothes and all of the wrinkles are released. I LOVE it.

Jessica recently posted..Latest Work: End of Summer Edition

25 Meghann September 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for the link! I’ll have to try it.

26 Annette @FitnessPerks September 20, 2013 at 3:22 pm

WOW, girl. That is impressive. TRUE dedication right there!! And that’s nice Derek does dinner stuff too!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Confessions {7}

27 Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind September 20, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Long, busy day!! I’d need more sleep than you do with that level of training.
Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind recently posted..My weekly running schedule

28 The Many Thoughts of a Reader September 20, 2013 at 9:32 pm

this made me sleepy.

29 Tricia September 21, 2013 at 12:08 pm

This is insane!!! Lol

30 Heather September 21, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Meaghann – woah. Your schedule is INTENSE! Inspiring though…I realized that, though I have to leave for work an hour earlier, I have no reason not to spend half an hour either trying to run or taking a walk! Thank you!!

As another note – I highly recommend picking out your clothes the night before. It takes just a few minutes but it has made all the difference to me!!! A nice perk is that you can hang up your pants in the bathroom the night before and then your shower *should* steam some of the wrinkles out!!!

31 Sonia the Mexigarian September 23, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I try to get up between 5 -5:30 to get workouts in. Generally in bed by 9pm. I can’t imagine doing the double workout days you do. You’re trucking through and that’s the important thing 🙂
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Attack of the weekend