Ironman Training: Week 17

by Meghann on September 15, 2013

Bam!!

Screen shot 2013-09-15 at 9.24.23 AM.png

Talk about an AWESOME week of training!!

Seriously, after back-to-back weeks of traveling, I NEEDED this! Suddenly everything doesn’t seem so distant and out there, it all looks very real and is starting to seem very doable. I’m officially in the thick of training and the next few weeks are definitely going to hurt, but they’re going to be awesome. πŸ™‚

Monday

AM: 7 mi run

After a long weekend of work in New Jersey, I needed a good run on Monday. Luckily Theodora agreed to join me for a 7 mile adventure.

387635dc18e711e3b60722000a9f09f0_7.jpg

Despite my double dose of sangria the night before, I practically bounced out of be when my alarm said it was time to run that morning. Theodora took me to the westside trail and we ran to downtown.

IMG_3550.jpg

(so cool to see the freedom tower almost done!)

The weather was amazing and my legs felt great. It was a good run and a good chat with a good friend I don’t get to see nearly enough. Love her!

20130909_090029.jpg

Tuesday

AM: 70 min Bike Trainer

My legs were itching to hop back on the trainer on Tuesday. It felt really good to pound out some intervals.

AM: 20 min Run

Maddie and I extended our route a bit to reach the 2 miles now recommended in the plan. That just meant there was more space to sniff and pee in for Mads.

PM: 2650 yd Swim

• 300 warm up
  • 700 steady
  • 550 steady
  • 450 steady
  • 300 steady
  • 150 steady
  • 100 fast
  • 100 cool down

Coach wanted to incorporate some longer sets into our workout. Everything was steady (minus the final 100). He wanted us to focus on pace and not burning out.

Wednesday

AM: 2000 m Swim

• 300 warm up
  • 8 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 2 x 200 w/ 40 secs rest
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 100 cool down

It’s amazing how tired my shoulders were after yesterday’s longer sets. The good news is I was able to keep all the intervals, but it definitely burned.

Thursday

AM: 5 mi Hill Repeats

The track was full this morning, so we had an impromptu “Plan B.” We ran to a local bridge and did repeats pushing hard up the bridge, taking it easy on the down, and doing time trials on the way out. I definitely struggled here. I haven’t been making track practices lately and it definitely showed. πŸ™

dfdbf2501ba111e38e8322000a1f9686_7.jpg

On the other hand, I really enjoyed running in the adorable 4″ compression shorts Moving Comfort sent me. They were uber-comfy and didn’t ride up at all. I think I found a new favorite running short!

PM: 800 yd Swim

We started with a 400 yd warm-up, then “Coach Courtney” walked us through a mini stroke clinic. I’m really bad at breaking my wrist when I pull, so she showed me some drills to help improve it. This is a habit of mine that my coach has been trying to get me to break for months, but I never fully understood what he meant. Courtney is great with coaching younger kids and basically coached me as she would a 5 yr old (“pretend like you’re painting the bottom of the pool” etc) and it immediately clicked. So basically if you want to have a breakthrough with me, you need to coach me as if I’m a 5 yr old. πŸ˜‰

We were only able to get abut 800 yds in before it started to rain. Boo.

Friday

AM: Brick! 30 mi Bike Ride/ 5 mi Run

The 30 miles were great. I was quick, efficient, and felt on my game. However, the run sucked. It was 11am by the time I put my running shoes on and the sun was out in full force. The hot and humid run was MISERABLE. I had to dump water on myself at one point for some relief. I never want to have that feeling again.

20130913_114711.jpg

(I guess I like to look like a monkey when I do bricks?)

Saturday

AM: 90 mi Bike Ride

90miles.jpg

New PDR!! The ride was great! It was tough, but still doable, and a great confidence booster for my century ride next week. It also helped to ride with someone else for the first 45 miles. I haven’t ridden with anyone else in so long, it was great to have the company!

Sunday

AM: 14.5 mi Run

Not my favorite run ever. My legs were tired from yesterday’s bike ride and the heat and humidity were just as terrible as they’ve been all week. I ended up doing a walk/run for the last 5 miles, which helped keep me focused. I’m also thankful the path I ran had water fountains. I had to stop and refill my 20oz water bottle 3 times. I don’t know how people run without water bottles in this heat – I would die!

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 11

Miles: 175

Time: 16 hours 44 minutes

Next week I’ll cross the PDR line again with my first century! Can’t wait!

1 Christine @ BookishlyB September 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I know you’ve talked about it before, but what indoor trainer do you have again? Would you recommend it? My neighborhood is crazy hilly and driving to the trail is definitely not in the cards right now. Thanks!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Take Note

2 Danielle @ Long May You Run September 15, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I second that question- I’ve tried to search your blog for it before but to no avail. I’d like to get a trainer for this winter and could use any suggestions!!
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..Checking in… what’s next?

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs September 15, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Congrats on an amazing week! I’m tired just reading about it πŸ™‚
I’m also extremely jealous of your run in NYC — what a beautiful city & one of my favorite places to visit!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

4 Jill C. September 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Those shorts are adorable, and your legs are looking FANTASTIC!!! I have a major case of the green monster over here!
Jill C. recently posted..Sunday Round-Up

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Wow what a great week of workouts!! I love those shorts too – I love spandex shorts for running and it is REALLY hard to find the ones that don’t ride up – these look GREAT!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Training Recap: 9/9 – 9/15

6 Caroline September 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm

It sounds like you had a really good week of training! I think I’d want to stay in bed for days if I did that many miles! Keep up the good work.
Caroline recently posted..Monumental Half Marathon Training Recap Week 3

7 Theodora September 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm

solid week! Especially running in NYC w/me πŸ™‚ And I LOVE those shorts.
Theodora recently posted..Philly RNR Half: MGP or Bust.

8 Courtney September 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Keep working on your technique in the pool. Patience and dedication will eventually pay off especially when it “clicks” and you understand how to fix old habits. Glad to see your mileage is increasing…before you know it race day will be here! Bummed I can’t join for sideline cheering.

9 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen September 15, 2013 at 10:12 pm

wow! you are killing it! I would love to see a post of how you are fueling up before and after all this training
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..All About: Apples

10 Kaylie September 16, 2013 at 1:33 am

You are so inspiring!!! Congrats on your 90 miler πŸ™‚

11 EL September 16, 2013 at 2:00 am

The shorts are so cute!! Do they show sweat stains at all though? (<–The dreaded deciding factor and why I normally stick to plain black.)

12 Mary September 16, 2013 at 3:01 am

AMAZING distance this week! Big well done! πŸ™‚
Mary recently posted..Three days of busy

13 Runner Girl Eats September 16, 2013 at 6:14 am

What a great week!! You are going to be amazing in November!!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Monday Night Football Food

14 Laura September 16, 2013 at 9:29 am

Do you normally have Fridays off? I noticed you got in an awesome workout on a normal work day-so jealous if you do!!

Do you ever worry about riding in a group and drafting when you aren’t allowed to do the same thing for Ironman? I’m doing my first 70.3 next year and worry about riding in a line and drafting since you can’t during the race. I don’t want it to be “easier” during a training ride due to drafting and harder during the race since I can’t draft.

15 Meghann September 18, 2013 at 9:09 pm

It’s not the norm, but I did have Friday off.

This is my first time riding with a group in months (and I only rode with them for about 20 miles, Stef and I were side by side for the rest of the time I was with her). They say it’s actually good to get some practice rides in with a group because your legs get “used” to going that speed and it builds confidence.

16 Britton September 16, 2013 at 11:15 am

Wow, what an amazing week of training!! It is so inspiring! I just did my first sprint triathlon in August and I am slowly incorporating 2-a-day workouts to fit in swimming, biking, running, yoga, and crossfit! It’s been tiring and I am nowhere near the time that you put it! Hopefully, I will be there one day! Thanks for the inspiration!!! Keep working hard!!!

17 Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road September 16, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Wow, what a great week! It is such a time commitment to train for something like this, kudos to you!

I drink like crazy when I’m running. I’ve debated on just wearing my Camelback and dealing with the weight/chafing. How do people run with those teeny fuel belt bottles? I carry a 20 oz water bottle and refilled it on my 8-miler yesterday.
Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road recently posted..Santa Cruz Adventures, Volume 2

18 Meghann September 18, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I carry a 20 oz bottle with me and it’s still not big enough. I’m not sure how I would survive without water fountains on my routes.

19 Ashley September 16, 2013 at 1:08 pm

You’ve got to be feeling like an Iron (wo)Man now with those kind of miles!

20 Sarah September 16, 2013 at 9:12 pm

How did you bike, run, and swim all before work on Tuesday?! I’d love to see another “day in the life” post now that you training is really ramping up. And speaking of, you are impressive!!

21 Caitlin September 17, 2013 at 9:05 am

I second this request! And what about Fridays? Do you have those days off or just start late?

22 Meghann September 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm

That was a typo. I swam after work.