more ยป" />

Day 2 of Exploring Disneyland

by Meghann on September 4, 2013

After Disneyland’s 10k on Saturday morning, I had two special visitors waiting for me back in my hotel room.

It’s my twin brother and his girlfriend Kristin!

My brother is currently in his last year of residency in Los Angeles (I seriously can’t believe he’s been in L.A. for two years now!) and, when it was confirmed that I would be flying out to Disneyland, he was the first one I called to visit with. Luckily he had the weekend off and jumped at the chance to spend the day at Disneyland with his long lost sister.

Love ya, bro!

I quickly showered and the three of us headed to “extra magic hours” at California Adventure. “Extra magic hours” allows Disneyland Resorts hotels guests early admission to one theme park on select days. They have the same program at Disney World with early and later admission to the parks. Since there are so many hotels on Disney World property, the parks are still relatively crowded during the extra hours. I’m not sure if it was because the majority hotel guests ran the 10k (and were either still recovering, showering, or napping) or if it was because there were only three hotels on Disneyland resort property, but Disney California Adventure was EMPTY. We walked right on a few of our favorite rides and had no problem grabbing fast passes for Cars Land Racers and the early World of Color show.

IMG_1584.jpg

Actually, considering it was Labor Day AND race weekend, I was surprised how relatively quiet the parks were all weekend. The longest line I saw was for Racers for 60 minutes. Everything else averaged a 15-20 minute wait. Compared to Disney World standards, that’s not bad at all!

We broke for an early lunch at Pacific Warf Cafe aka Boudin Bakery (p.s. did you know they give yummy bread samples if you take the bakery tour? we followed up the bread samples with chocolate samples at Ghirardelli across the street. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

I ordered the Sonoma Chicken & Apple Salad, which came in a bread bowl.

I’ve never had a salad in a bread bowl before. I honestly felt like the bowl was a bit of a waste. I just ate the top (lid?) of the bowl and all the salad (which was really tasty!). When I was done, I still had the whole bread bowl left! I wish I had a way to save it, it was good bread just way too much of it.

After lunch we circled back to Tower of Terror to try the west coast’s version of one of our favorite rides.

towerofterror.jpg

Again, it was the same, but different. At Hollywood Studios you move forward through the tower and feel like you’re really entering the hotel. Disneyland’s version just goes straight up and down. I did enjoy how the first drop was in the pitch black, then they brought you up to the windows. I was screaming like a little girl for that one!

We saw the Aladdin show (which is a MUST see if you ever go to California Adventures, it’s similar to Hollywood Studio’s live version of Beauty and the Beast, but bigger and better), then headed to Disneyland for a bit.

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

We went on Indiana Jones (I liked it!) and Splash Mountain.

I hate to say it, but Magic Kingdom wins for their version of Splash Mountain. You get a little more of the story line in the build up and some extra drops. This one felt a little short. Still an awesome ride though no matter what coast you’re on. I haven’t been on Splash Mountain in years because the line is always too long. I really need to ride it again next time I’m in Magic Kingdom, it’s a classic!

What trip to Disney would be complete without a little ice cream?

IMG_1602.jpg

I was hoping Main Street would have my favorite Disney World treat (massive homemade ice cream/ cookie sandwiches), but I was sad to see they didn’t make them at Disneyland (at least none of the places I looked had them). I think Josh and Kristin must have thought I was crazy trying to hunt that down!

Instead, we settled on the hot fudge cookie sundae.

Still good, but it’s no ice cream/ cookie sandwich. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I took a step back in time when I rode Mr Toad’s Wild Ride.

They closed Mr. Toad’s back in 1998 at Magic Kingdom. This ride scared the crap out of me as a kid. It was fun to re-ride it as an adult.

IMG_1616.jpg

I wanted to ride Matterhorn Bobsleds, but the line was too long and we had fast passes for Racers. That’s another ride we don’t have at Disney World, so I’ll have to come back to ride it one day.

Our final ride of the day was the Flying Tires in Cars land.

It was air hockey meets bumper cars, only you’re a puck. The air comes out of the floor and lifts the tires slightly so you can move left and right. The objective really is to simply crash in everyone. So much fun! Definitely an original idea for a theme park ride.

We ended the night at World of Color.

I’m usually not a fan of water shows or fireworks at theme parks, but everyone was raving about this one and told me I had to go. We grabbed fast passes for the early show (because apparently you need fast passes for a water show?) and headed to our reserved spot 45 minutes before the start. Which meant, of course, we were there late. The roped area was packed… I guess that’s why you need a fast pass.

worldofcolor.jpg

The show was really cool. It was more than just having your favorite Disney movie scenes projected on a curtain of water fountains, it was a beautifully orchestrated piece of art. I only wish I was a little taller (or the people around me were a little shorter) so I could actually see more of the show. Next time we’re getting there an hour and half before the show!

I wish I had more time in Disneyland and California Adventure! Two days were not enough to explore. Hopefully I’ll have the chance to go back one day. Until then I’ll just have to fill the void by visiting Walt Disney World, my annual pass is currently burning a hole in my pocket!

Which Disney theme park is you favorite? Walt Disney World? Disneyland? Tokyo? Paris?

I’ll be back tomorrow with my Disneyland Half recap!

1 Lesley September 4, 2013 at 9:06 pm

New reader ๐Ÿ™‚

I love going to all the rides at Disneyland that aren’t at Magic Kingdom. I’m at WDW so much, I forget all the different things to do at DL and DCA.
Lesley recently posted..Run Your Tail Off 5K Completed

2 Michele September 4, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride!!! I wish I could ride that again. I’m definitely a Disney World girl, although that’s the only park I’ve ever been to. I’d really like to do the Dumbo Challenge some day and get out to CA. But, for now, I’m hoping/planning to do the Disney Marathon in 2015. *fingers crossed*
Michele recently posted..Update about me

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs September 4, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Sounds like such a fun day! Glad you got to visit with your long lost brother ๐Ÿ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..A “Blogs I Read” Update

4 Grace September 4, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I miss Disneyland! I ran last year and it was my first visit, too. I’m an AP holder at Disney World so I loved seeing this “new” Disney! Love that you mention the bread & chocolate samples, my boyfriend and I made at least 4 stops there over the corse of 3 days! We shared soup in a bread bowl and between the 2 of us ate the whole entire bread bowl! Talk about carb loading! Looks like you had a wonderful time with your brother!

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 4, 2013 at 11:16 pm

All of these posts are making me want to go to Disneyland so bad! I need a vacation and haven’t had one in quite some time! Glad you were able to spend some time with your brother!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Yasso 800 Modified Workout

6 Elisabeth September 4, 2013 at 11:57 pm

My favorite is Epcot at WDW! I’ve always loved that one best – I feel sort of tied to it since it opened the year I was born ๐Ÿ™‚

7 meredith September 5, 2013 at 6:56 am

My favorite cookie sandwich has always been the ones they make fresh at the Main Street Bakery in Disney World but that sundae looks pretty good to me!
meredith recently posted..Mars vs. Venus

8 Maureen September 5, 2013 at 6:58 am

I’ve been to Disney World and Disneyland Paris, and of the two, Disney World was my favorite. I had the feeling that Disneyland Paris tried to cram all of Disney World into one park. I did like that our hotel in Paris was literally above the entrance to the park, which was cool, but other than that I’ll take Florida any day.
Maureen recently posted..Safety First

9 Becky @ Olives n Wine September 5, 2013 at 8:02 am

How fun that you were able to spend time with your brother while in California! Can you believe that I’ve never been to a Disney-themed park?? This needs to change ASAP!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Mini Pumpkin-Spice Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

10 Heather September 5, 2013 at 10:09 am

If you ask for the bread bowl on the side, they’ll give you the bread in a bag for easy home carrying!
Love reading your blog Meghann!

11 Meghann September 5, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Great tip! Thanks!

12 Jen September 5, 2013 at 10:23 am

Ahh I just caught up with all of your Disneyland posts. Looks like such an amazing time! It’s definitely on my must-do list now ๐Ÿ™‚
Jen recently posted..Maybe baby

13 Emily September 5, 2013 at 2:31 pm

How cool that your family could meet you up! Makes it all the more fun to share in the experience ๐Ÿ™‚

The last time I went to Disneyland was in college. I think things have changed since then ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily recently posted..The One Where I Find New Back Exercises

14 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep September 5, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I’m already creating a list of things I must do for my next trip to Disneyland! I missed World of Color, and I’m dying to try Carthay Circle for dinner. Great recaps!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Taking a Break From CrossFit

15 Jenn September 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm

pretty sure the lines were short this weekend b/c it’s a blackout weekend for the basic annual passholders in Cali. At least that’s what most of my Cali friends were saying!
Jenn recently posted..What a Whirlwind Disneyland Adventure! Day 1 Recap

16 Rachel September 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I grew up about 30 min. away from Disneyland, and then moved to Altamonte Springs…about 30 min. away from Disney World! I like Disneyland better…and it all hinges on Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride (even though DW closed it)… in CA, the ride uses actual statues of the characters, while in FL the ride had wood cutouts of the characters and I thought that was cheap. Also, you could go up into Sleeping Beauty’s castle and read through the story with little figurines.

I guess I’m just partial to the CA version of everything because I grew up there ๐Ÿ™‚
Rachel recently posted..New Beginnings

17 Floey September 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I miss disneyland! I live so close but its so expensive! Did your brother get a new GF?

18 hannahviolin September 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I’m bummed to hear that they closed Mr Toad’s Wild Ride! I loved that ride as a kid…I’ve only been to Disney world, and haven’t been in decades (obviously from my first comment!)
hannahviolin recently posted..Keep Moving