Dirty Thirty

by Meghann on August 28, 2013

Last weekend we celebrated my brother-in-law’s 30th birthday.

IMG_1381.jpg

My sister threw a “Dirty 30” party in his honor, which included dirt cake (obviously) and enough candles to easily set off a fire alarm.

IMG_1384.jpg IMG_1403.JPG

Happy Birthday, Anthony!

IMG_1401.jpg

I’ve known Anthony since college. He’s the first one of my close college friends to turn 30 and it’s really the domino effect from here with the rest of us. (Derek’s up next!) It’s still so strange to think our 20s are practically behind all of us. I remember when my mom turned 30 and I swear it wasn’t that long ago!

My 23 year-old co-worker and I were talking about the VMAs the other day and she made a statement about Lady Gaga having a great body for her age. For her age?! Lady Gaga is a year younger than me! Gah. (p.s. Lady Gaga does have some killer curves.)

To say a proper good-bye to his 20s, Kelly “surprised” (aka she tried to surprise him, but can’t keep a secret to save her life – just like me) her husband with sky diving.

I jumped out of a plane for my 21st birthday and would highly recommend the experience to everyone, it’s definitely a one-of-a-kind rush that can’t be replicated. The scariest part is the plane ride up, once you jump, it’s just plain fun.

IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1408.jpg

Anthony jumped with the Skydive Space Center in Titusville. Before you jump, they take you over the space center for an aerial view of NASA, then you have great views of the surrounding beaches while you free fall.

The plane took off full of jumpers (they had two planes full for the morning!), headed toward the space center, then circled back up above. We proceeded to watch ants pour out of the plane, then tried to follow the ants as we saw parachutes open.

Chris, Anthony’s tantum jumper, told us he had a purple, green, and yellow parachute before they left in the plane. That little tip was a huge help when it came to deciding which crazy person to follow in the air.

Anthony quietly drifted safely back to earth.

And landed with the BIGGEST smile on his face.

I’m pretty sure it’s hard not to smile when minutes before you were free falling from 18,000. Sky diving really is amazing.

The proud little jumper!

IMG_1467.jpg

I think sky diving might become a 30th birthday tradition. Derek is already talking about making the big jump for his birthday in April and my sister is itching to jump herself. Might as well enter your 30s with a bang!

Did you do anything big to celebrate your 30th birthday? Or do you have any plans?

1 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete August 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I went to the zoo with our kids, our friends, and their kids. Guess things look a little different when you turn 30 and already have little ones. πŸ™‚
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Choose Love

2 Kristi August 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm

My bestie and also went sky diving for our 30th B-days. It was AMAZING. I recommend it to EVERYONE.

3 Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com August 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I’m celebrating my 30th this weekend with a party at my house. We rented bouncy houses and sumo wrestling mats and sumo fat suits for it. Ad I agree, there is nothing,like the experience of skydiving. I’ve been twice and still think it was the most exhilarating thing I have ever done
Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Ten Things Tuesday

4 Jenny August 28, 2013 at 10:21 pm

How fun!!

I don’t remember doing anything special for my 30th birthday but gosh, that was 12 years ago! LOL. I do remember 40, though!
Jenny recently posted..National Dog Day-A Giveaway

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 28, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I don’t think I could ever jump from a plane! I am 27 so I have several more years to go before 30 but the closer I get to it the more scared I get lol I don’t feel like I am almost 30…I feel like I could still be 18.
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..8 x 400 Speed Workout

6 Diana August 28, 2013 at 11:30 pm

What a cute birthday party, such a great theme for a guy.

And, I don’t know if I could skydive! I think I would freak out all the way up and then all the way down!
Diana recently posted..Abuela’s birthday

7 Michelle August 28, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Looks like Anthony had a great 30th!!

As for a 30th birthday celebration… let’s just say it is no coincidence that Livie’s birthday is 9 months after mine πŸ™‚
Michelle recently posted..Postpartum Running – Months 1 and 2

8 Rebecca P. August 29, 2013 at 12:02 am

Going skydiving is definitely on my lifetime bucket list! So cool and exhilarating!
Rebecca P. recently posted..Vegan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms and a Sweet Crunchy Treat

9 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) August 29, 2013 at 1:09 am

I’ve never thought about/wanted to go sky diving, to be honest! I’m like your sis though – I hate keeping fun surprises a secret. πŸ™‚
Joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Risotto

10 Mary August 29, 2013 at 2:07 am

I’ll be 30 next October, so just over a year away but will not be sky diving! I think I’d love it after I’d jumped but would be freaking out until I tipped over the edge of the plane!
We’re in the middle of a run of weddings at the moment and then next year we’ll have a run of 30th birthdays. It’s very much about the age we’re at. Next up: A run of baby showers!
Mary recently posted..A bank holiday catchup

11 Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries August 29, 2013 at 6:56 am

30 is definitely a big birthday! I was in full dissertation mode on my 30th birthday, so I kept it low key with a potluck and a few drinks. But birthdays are still an awesome excuse to get together with friends!
Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries recently posted..Presque Isle sprint tri recap

12 Jamie @ fitfortherun August 29, 2013 at 7:27 am

The skydiving pictures made me sick to my stomach!! I don’t think I could ever do that
Jamie @ fitfortherun recently posted..Wedding Talk Part One

13 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy August 29, 2013 at 7:34 am

I want to run 30 miles on my 30th birthday. Sky diving is on my list of things to do! We actually have a place less than a mile from my house!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..How can you tell the difference

14 egb August 29, 2013 at 8:51 am

I jumped out of a plane for my 25th birthday but didn’t do anything too crazy for my 30th. I am thinking of running my age in km this year. Yeah, I feel old enough that I want to do it in km instead of miles!
egb recently posted..Paying it forward: Charity Miles

15 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 29, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’ve always wanted to try sky diving, I’ve just been waiting for a good opportunity or reason. And I LOVE the dirty thirty theme, haha especially the “Dirt” with worms!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

16 Katie August 29, 2013 at 9:44 am

Fun!! My parents were 30 when they married, so I wasn’t even around yet. My 30th will also be my golden birthday, so I’m hoping for a good vacation somewhere!
Katie recently posted..Monday Moment: Heat!

17 Sarah K August 29, 2013 at 9:58 am

I’ve always wanted to go skydiving!
Sarah K recently posted..What You Are

18 Beth August 29, 2013 at 10:11 am

Fun! I think I went on either 23 or 24. Seems like a birthday rite of passage no matter what age you choose. Happy bday to your bro-in-law. And damn all of you for being so young. Lol!
Beth recently posted..Marathon Thoughts

19 Ashley August 29, 2013 at 10:36 am

I went sky diving for my birthday last year and it was amazing! No big plans for 30 yet (mostly because I don’t want to make it feel any closer than it is!) but I’m sure I’ll come up with something πŸ™‚
Ashley recently posted..My take on Thai

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human August 29, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’m taking a girls trip to NYC the week before my thirty birthday. I’m not entirely sure what I’ll do to celebrate the actual day, but I’m sure my husband will come up with something!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Women In The Backcountry

21 Natalie @ Free Range Human August 29, 2013 at 10:45 am

Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Women In The Backcountry

22 Emily @ The Good Era August 29, 2013 at 10:45 am

This is such a great idea! My husband has been talking about jumping for years now, I might just surprise him with this for his birthday next year. Although, just these pictures alone kinda make me sick to my stomach…I am deathly afraid of heights!!!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Quick and Easy: Creamy Roasted Veggie & White Bean Soup

23 Chatelaine August 29, 2013 at 12:13 pm

We went to Cabo for my 30th birthday. Just my husband and I. My birthday is 10 days before christmas and it’s so hard to get friends to come celebrate. We moved away from all our college friends (ie. friends our age) years ago and all our new friends are 6-15 years older than us. So, the idea of a 30th birthday didn’t ‘drive’ them anymore. Yes we had dinner with a few couples but I wanted a big ‘look at me’ celebration, so we went to Cabo and I soaked up all the warm air and margaritas πŸ™‚

24 Kaleena @ the hopeful triathlete August 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I just turned 30 myself. I don’t think I could ever skydive, though. I’ve always wanted to try hang gliding! I did my first sprint triathlon the week after my birthday; it was awesome!
Kaleena @ the hopeful triathlete recently posted..Mental toughness and a new accessory

25 Sonia the Mexigarian August 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Turning 30 in October. No plans yet. I don’t think I’d ever jump out of a plane. My fear of falling is keeping me safe on the ground πŸ™‚
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Runner’s Nausea

26 MelanieF August 29, 2013 at 1:45 pm

How cool! We’re not big on birthdays, we celebrate rather quietly. I didn’t do anything special for my 30th birthday to be honest. But, I just turned 37 last week and I can see my 40’s coming really fast (I really don’t feel it, or even look it for that matter loll) and I am planing a big trip that’s for sure.

27 Ashley August 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I went skydiving for my 18th birthday, in Florida ironically enough! To this day (I’m just a FEW years older now, πŸ˜‰ it is still one of the coolest things I’ve done!

28 Jessica August 29, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I love this idea!
Jessica recently posted..New Nike Ad: Just do it β€” Possibilities

29 Peachylau August 29, 2013 at 8:20 pm

That’s a very cool idea!
Peachylau recently posted..How to mess up your half-marathon training and my 2% solution

30 Lauren August 30, 2013 at 12:50 am

Would love an update from Kelly over on your blog since she isn’t blogging anymore!
Lauren recently posted..Feline Friday: Outdoor Edition

31 Colleen August 30, 2013 at 9:55 am

For my sister’s 30th birthday we (my brother, uncle, cousin, me, and her) sky dived and it was a blast! It was actually the first time my sister flew in a plane! So she loved telling the people around her six months later when she flew to Colorado all about it.

32 Elizabeth @ Positive Change August 30, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Such a fun birthday theme!! I will have to remember this theme when my husband turns 30!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Hello Blog World!

33 Melissa @TryingtoHeal August 30, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Oh goodness. I can’t believe we are starting to head into our thirties! I don’t know what I’ll do then…maybe get married? HAHAHAH Kidding…maybe.
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..All These Adjustments

34 Runner Girl Eats August 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm

eek. My 30th is sneaking up but I still have two years to plan. My fiance’s bday is a few days after mine so we always do a fun trip to celebrate. 30th will have to be an EXTRA big trip πŸ™‚
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Fitness Friday: At home workouts

35 Annette @FitnessPerks August 30, 2013 at 4:02 pm

That is an awesome surprise! I totes would never do that, but I know my husband would LOVE to do it!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Confessions {6}

36 Belle August 30, 2013 at 4:19 pm

What does tantum mean?

37 Belle August 30, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I’ve never heard the word tantum before – what does it mean? It doesn’t show up in my spell-check for some reason!

38 Jamie September 3, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I was pregnant for my 30th birthday so it wasn’t too exciting.