more ยป" />

#TeamSparkle at Disneyland

by Meghann on August 26, 2013

Guess where I’m going this weekend?!

DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disneyland-Resort-walt-disney-characters-26230463-1539-1017.jpg

Woo hoo!!!

Despite practically growing up at Walt Disney World, I’ve never been to Disneyland! I’m SOOOOO excited!!

Even better, I’ll be heading there for my first RunDisney event on the west coast: RunDisney’s Dumbo Double Dare.

182554_657446864281279_1140880555_n.jpg

RunDisney’s Dumbo Double Dare consists of the 10k on Saturday and Disneyland Half Marathon on Sunday. One weekend, two races, three medals. Awesome.

Four Medals.JPG

I can’t wait to add those bad boys to my collection.

I’m really excited about these races because RunDisney races are just plain fun. They’re fun on the east coast and I know they’ll be even more fun on the west coast, especially since I’ll be exploring areas I’ve never seen before. I’m not looking to set any PRs while I’m out there, I’m planning on taking my camera and just enjoying the run.

And what would a RunDisney race be without a costume (or two)? Thanks to Sparkle Athletics I’m all set to run as two of my favorite characters this weekend.

Who didn’t grow up singing Part of Your World while flapping your legs in the pool as if you had a mermaid tail? No? Just me? Okay.

Little Mermaid was the first Disney movie I remember seeing in the movie theater. It actually came out the same month my little brother (who is now 23, almost 24) was born. While my mom was taking care of baby Ben at home, my dad took my sister, brother, and I to the movie theater to see the new movie. It was love at first flip and Aerial has remained one of my favorite Disney characters ever since (tied right up there with Belle). I really wanted to do a race as her and thought the green sparkle skirt would be the perfect makeshift green tail for the occasion.

IMG_1473.jpg

The purple sports bra is my attempt at replicating her purple seashell top and the red ribbon will give the illusion of Ariel’s red locks (sort of? maybe?).

For the big race on Sunday, I wanted to dress up as a classic character. You’ll never guess who that is.

IMG_1479.jpg

As soon as I saw the red and white polka dot sparkle skirt, I knew I HAD to run as Minnie. The matching arm sleeves were just icing on the cake. I’m still missing the Minnie ears (I plan to pick them up once I arrive in Disney), but I’m really happy with how EASY this costume was to put together.

So that’s my costume game plan for the weekend. If you’re looking for some RunDisney costume inspiration, check out the Sparkle Athletics Costume Guide. It’s LOADED with awesome costume ideas. Also, if you’re heading to the Disneyland expo this weekend, be sure to check Sparkle Athletics at the race expo. Not only do their sparkle skirts make a fun addition to any costume, but they’re also light and airy and perfect to race in.

Just a splash of sparkle!

Are you racing this weekend? Are you racing in costume? If so, what are you racing as?!

*RunDisney is covering my race expenses for the weekend. All opinions are my own.

**Spark Athletics provided me with two skirts to review. All opinions are my own.

1 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm

No races for me this weekend besides racing myself ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish I had an awesome costume though! Good luck!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Sweaty Treadmill Tempo Workout

2 Mrs. Swan August 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Tooo cute!! If only I ran so that I could justify that sparkle. LOL
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Tonights eats

3 Christine @ Bookishly August 26, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I’m not a fan of Disneyland, but I’ve done the 1/2 there twice and think it’s the best race I’ve ever done. Perfectly organized, entertaining throughout, and the weather is usually decent. Good luck!
Christine @ Bookishly recently posted..Nonfiction Nagging- Italian Ways

4 Emily @ Siegerville August 26, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Looks like two fun costumes! Good luck and enjoy the races!
Emily @ Siegerville recently posted..What I’m Loving Wednesday

5 Belle August 26, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Aerial?

6 Tahnya Kristina August 26, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Those costumes are so cute! Ariel is awesome for sure :-).

The RunDisney events look like a lot of fun! Ah, maybe someday…
Tahnya Kristina recently posted..Friday Faves: The best reason EVER to call in sick

7 Nicole August 26, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I’ve never raced in costume before, but in January, I’m running the Walt Disney World Marathon and I’ll definitely be looking into a Sparkle Skirt/costume for that race! That Ariel costume is cute!
Nicole recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

8 Kristen August 26, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I have always wanted to do the Disneyland Half Marathon. Can’t wait to hear about your experience. Those finishing medals look awesome!

Although I am not racing in costume this weekend, I am running the Sunriver Half Marathon up in Oregon. Cheers to the West Coast Half Marathons – good luck!
Kristen recently posted..A Weekend of Anniversary Celebrations

9 Traci August 27, 2013 at 12:57 am

I’m not dressing up, but I will be running the 10K on Saturday! I’m so excited for the Alice medal!

10 Mary August 27, 2013 at 1:24 am

I love the idea of running in costume, although I’m yet to run a race in fancy dress. Those costumes are going to look fantastic. I’m very jealous!!!
Mary recently posted..A little confession…

11 Farah @ Fabulously Farah August 27, 2013 at 8:21 am

Those costumes are adorable! Can’t wait to see pictures from the race.

I hope you have fun!
Farah @ Fabulously Farah recently posted..Lately, Weekend Edition

12 Katie August 27, 2013 at 10:39 am

I am jealous! Have fun!!
Katie recently posted..Monday Moment: Heat!

13 Meghan @ The Blonde Triathlete August 27, 2013 at 10:41 am

Yes! So glad I saw this post – I needed some inspiration for my Halloween 5k costume and this costume guide is a great start.
Meghan @ The Blonde Triathlete recently posted..Only 16 Hours to Race Day!

14 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep August 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

I’ll be there doing Dumbo! Maybe I’ll see you around ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Kaleena @ the hopeful triathlete August 27, 2013 at 11:37 am

You’ll be just up the street from me! Dumbo is my favorite favorite! I’ll have to make this a goal for next year!
Kaleena @ the hopeful triathlete recently posted..A long run cut short and a lesson learned

16 Catie August 27, 2013 at 11:45 am

I am doing a 10k this weekend! Can’t wait!

17 Chatelaine August 27, 2013 at 11:54 am

Yay you’re coming our way!
No races for me this weekend but I’ll still put my miles in ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Lisa August 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm

See you at the 1/2! In my humble opinion, the Disneyland halves are better, course-wise, than World. No endless stretches of highway! Looking forward to hearing what you think.

19 Ashely August 27, 2013 at 1:34 pm

What a fun race! Looks like it’s going to be a running heavy weekend of IM training on your side! ๐Ÿ™‚

20 Peachylau August 27, 2013 at 3:16 pm

aahh enjoy. My race is next week-end, but I don’t think I will dress up for it! maybe next year.
Peachylau recently posted..How to mess up your half-marathon training and my 2% solution

21 Dana August 27, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Have fun! I love Disneyland ๐Ÿ™‚
Dana recently posted..Tea Tuesday: The Stigma Behind Mental Illness

22 Floey August 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

yay! prepare for the weather! so. cal is smokin!

23 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Haha, not compared to FL it isn’t ๐Ÿ˜‰
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Florida Run Love.

24 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 27, 2013 at 9:18 pm

See you there! ๐Ÿ˜€
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Florida Run Love.

25 Annette @FitnessPerks August 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I love these costume ideas!

26 Amanda @runtothefinish August 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm

awesome!! I’ve never been there, can’t wait to see what you think are the major differences. i have to admit we haven’t made it to Disney since moving to Orlando…i kinda want to go with a group and well it’s expensive!! Hope we can either meet up in Tampa or Orlando sometime soon!
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..R8 Roll Recovery Review: which foam roller do you really need?

27 Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com August 28, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Ariel is my favorite character as well. When I was younger I was convinced I could sing just like her until nearly everyone with the ability to hear begged me to shut up
Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Ten Things Tuesday

28 Sarah August 29, 2013 at 8:11 am

AHH YES! Thanks for sharing the sparkle athletics! Im running Tinker bell in January and have been trying to come up with a cute costume idea! HOW PERFECT! And yes, the red ribbons in your hair will be ariel all the way ๐Ÿ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Marathon Training Day 44

29 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed August 29, 2013 at 8:37 am

I just watched The Little Mermaid on VHS the other day! I forgot how amazing that movie is ๐Ÿ™‚ Have fun and good luck!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Overwhelmed