more ยป" />

Ironman Training: Week 14

by Meghann on August 25, 2013

Another record breaking week (for me)!

Screen shot 2013-08-25 at 4.16.46 PM.png

Woo hoo!

Admittedly I had a bit of a freak out about my Ironman training on Thursday night. It was my first (and probably not my last) of the training cycle. Traveling and weather had finally gotten the best of me and Derek found me in the bedroom with my training book and calendar out, hysterically trying to figure out how I’m going to make it through the next 10 weeks.

The mini-freak out with the calendar helped. I’m traveling for the next two weekends and getting long rides/runs in will be tough. However, seeing that I still have 8 weeks to train after I’m done with traveling helped ease my mind because after that I’m DONE with traveling. Woo hoo! I can 100% commit myself to training for the remaining weekends and I feel good about that.

It also helped to check-in with other folks I know who are training and seeing where they are. Turns out I’m not the only one entering the “freak-out” phase; we all are. I had a great chat with my sister on Saturday (who just started a new job and is making it work) and she reminded me of the great training that we’ve both done and how we have something in our back pockets that hundreds of extra hours of training won’t replicate – strong wills and determination. Simply put, she knows we won’t give up – that’s not who we are. We have mental toughness that will get us through anything – including a full Ironman.

I came to that same conclusion on my long ride on Friday. I had a lot of time to think by myself and came to the simple truth that I CAN do this. I WILL cross that finish line. I won’t be the fastest, but I will be there.

Monday

AM: 45 min FlyWheel

20130819_063852.jpg

I decided to mix it up a little bit with a spin class while I was in Seattle. My first in a while and it definitely kicked my butt. I HIGHLY recommend FlyWheel if you’re ever staying in Downtown Seattle. The best part is your first class is free!

Tuesday

Nada

I took the red eye home Monday night and felt like crap all day Tuesday. My goal was to fit in some time on the trainer after work, but ended up going to the grocery store instead.

Wednesday

AM: 2200m Swim

• 400 warm up
  • 15×100 @ 2:05 w/ full pull kit
  • 300 cool down

Coach has us put on our full pull kits (pull buoy, paddles, leg band) and told us to keep doing 100s until he told us to stop. 45 minutes later, that ended up being our whole workout. Not the most exciting workout ever, but I need to build my should strength and that’s the best way to do it.

PM: 30 min Bike Trainer

I just wanted some time on the bike to shake my legs out.

Thursday

AM: 6 mi Track

Cross country season is officially underway, which means we were kicked off the track before we even had time to start. Boo. Coach had a Plan B, which was a side street that measured 400 meters from stop light to stop sign. So we did 400 repeats on the side of the road while waving to all the friendly faces heading to work.

• 1.5 mile warm up
  • 12×400 w/ 30 secs rest
  • 1.5 mile cool down

PM: 60min Bike Trainer

Swim practice was rained out. I spun my sorrows out on the bike.

Friday

AM: 70 mi Bike Ride

20130823_125205.jpg

My 5 hour bike ride was cut a tad short when the trail ended sooner than expected. Still, I was proud of the 70 miles I did get in (and the new PDR!!). I felt GREAT on the bike ride. I kept my pace at a steady 15 mph (my goal race pace for IMFL) and felt stronger on the way back than I did on the way out. It was a lonely ride, but that’s something i better get used to!

PM: 3 mile Run

My post-ride run was an easy 3 miler. It was HOT and nasty. Blah. There’s nothing worse than running at noon in the middle of summer in Florida.

Saturday

AM: 12 mile Run

Derek and I spent the weekend at my parents’ house. As soon as we pulled in the driveway, I realized I had forgotten my running shoes at home. Whoops. Luckily my sister-in-law let me borrow her running shoes, which were perfect for the 12 mile run I had planned. I owe her BIG TIME.

I ran a new route from my parents’ house, which took me to the big bridge in town for some needed hill work. Burn baby, burn.

Sunday

AM: Open Water Swim

20130825_113031.jpg

My brother and I joined our friend Eric for an open water swim at the beach. The water was ROUGH, but it was good practice for Ironman Florida, which could potentially be just as rough.

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 9

Miles: 131

Time: 11 hours 46 minutes

After an AWESOME week of training, I’m traveling over the next two weeks. As always, my plans are to fit in as much as I can while I’m away and not beat myself over what I can’t do. According to my training plan, I’m still on par with where I need to be during this phase of the plan. I feel strong during my workouts (which is the important part) and I have faith in myself and my body. The next couple of months will be tough, but I’m ready for them.

Game. On.

1 Jill C. August 25, 2013 at 6:46 pm

You’re doing great, and are definitely a source of inspiration! Keep up the good work, and good luck with all of your travels in the coming weeks!
Jill C. recently posted..It’s Official!

2 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats August 25, 2013 at 6:55 pm

You are doing a fantastic job and will rock the IM!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..More clean eats

3 Courtney August 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I’m training for IMAZ Nov 17 and had a similar freakout. We got married August 10th and then spent a week on honeymoon and I panicked with the workouts I had missed (a ton!). However, just like your long ride, my ride today of 60 miles helped me realize that I do have a solid base and those 2 weeks didn’t hurt me as much as I thought it might. Now if only Fall would hurry up; I’d love to get some colder weather!!

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 25, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Great job! I can’t imagine the training required for an ironman and then your busy schedule on top of it! I Think you are doing an AMAZING Job!! Keep it up! I love following your training!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Training Recap: 8/19 โ€“ 8/25

5 Mrs. Swan August 25, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I cannot even imaging spending 4+ hours on a bike. You my dear (along with everyone else that does that) rock!
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Marbles

6 Crystal August 25, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Do they ever cancel a race b/c the water is just too rough?

7 Meghan August 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Yup, this happens! I’ve heard of it happening several times with triathlons held in Lake Michigan – I live in the Midwest
Meghan recently posted..Only 16 Hours to Race Day!

8 meghan @ little girl in the big world August 26, 2013 at 4:46 pm

They do! Last year at Rev3 Florida 70.3 they cancelled the whole swim and did a running time trial or something like that to determine bike starting times.
meghan @ little girl in the big world recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap 8/19-8/25

9 Steph @321delish August 25, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Way to go Meghann! I’m so glad you had the breakthrough you did! You ARE stronger than you think you are, and you WILL get through IMFL! Congrats on a great week!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Courage to Tri

10 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose August 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I applaud you!! You have every chance and excuse to give up, but you are staying positive and owning it! Stay with it, you’re doing awesome.

Also, congrats on that bike ride. I would’ve gone a little nutso by myself for 5 hours. On a bike. Hehe you go girl!
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..WOW #12

11 Mrs. Swan August 25, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I couldn’t agree more on the nutso! LOL
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Tonights eats

12 Victoria August 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I never think I’ve done enough training for an IM, and I’ve made it through two now. I think a lot of folks do garbage mileage, especially during the weeks, and then go into race day injured. Not ideal.

Just stay with your plan and check off the workouts one by one until race day.
Victoria recently posted..Ironman Mont Tremblant: This is Not a Race Recap

13 brianna August 25, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I’m currently marathon training and feel crazy! Did 20 miles Saturday…so I get the high intensity! Do you ever feel dead? I felt great sat and woke up Sunday like I had never slept a day in my life! Lol..lethargic…barely functioning…etc!!

14 Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 25, 2013 at 10:37 pm

You’re such an inspiration, Meghann! I love reading these recaps to give me a boost for the upcoming week!
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..The Hottest Half

15 Sarah August 26, 2013 at 7:52 am

70 mile bike ride! WOW, really awesome.
Sarah recently posted..Marathon Training Day 42

16 The Many Thoughts of a Reader August 26, 2013 at 10:44 am

Great attitude!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Kisscut

17 Katie August 26, 2013 at 11:26 am

Keep your head up! We’re all cheering you on, you can do this! Keep chipping away at your training and it will all come together!
Katie recently posted..5 Weeks Until #IGBloomington (and a tri update!)

18 Sonia the Mexigarian August 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Eye of the Tiger. Keep up the great work. You’re doing what you can and your hearts in it. That’s the important thing. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..MIMM #2 Training and life

19 Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind August 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Insane week of workouts…congrats! Traveling can really throw a wrench in there, but it’s great to have a handle on exercise when you can!
Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind recently posted..Halloween: then and now

20 Annette @FitnessPerks August 26, 2013 at 4:02 pm

You’ve totally got this! Your training looks so fun/hard/and fab!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..A Colorific Weekend!

21 Ashley August 26, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Freak out or not, this is an AMAZING week of IM training. I can’t believe how fast the Summer has gone by. Before you know it it’ll be race day, but I think we all know you’ll be fully prepared ๐Ÿ˜‰

22 Lindsay August 27, 2013 at 11:38 am

Even though you spent 5 hours on the bike last week, your training just doesn’t seem anywhere close to any other fitness bloggers I’ve read who are also training for an IM. But, it sounds like you’re following your training plan, so that’s great! Have you thought about putting up the training plan from your book for each week and then comparing that to what you actually did? I loved seeing those comparisons when you were training in the past, plus it’s so fun to check items off a list!!

23 gd August 29, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I’m currently training for my 1st half marathon. Its tough. I’ve only really ran 5ks previously.
This is way different.

Good luck with your training. ๐Ÿ™‚
gd recently posted..On Hold Marketing โ€“ what should your ad say?

24 Katherine August 31, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Wow, great job on keeping it up while traveling! That has to be hard!

I was curious and nostalgic, so I peeked in at my training from the same time out and realized I was at 17 hours for about 8 weeks ago — crazy how much time we put into these things, isn’t it??

My (unsolicited LOL) advice is to get in as many 100+ mile rides as you can. The bike makes both the bike AND the run!

25 Meghann September 2, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I’m hoping to get at least two 100+ mile rides in (though typing that scares me!). I just need to get through this last week of traveling and I’ll be hitting the high weeks too. Yikes!