Typical

by Meghann on August 22, 2013

It’s raining outside.

There’s loud thunder and big bolts of lightning that light up the late afternoon sky.

My coach cancelled swim practice a couple of hours ago. That’s the second time this week. Grrr…

Did you hear about the lifeguard who was struck by lightning at the INDOOR pool on the other coast of Florida?

They had just evacuated the indoor pool (because that’s what they do in Florida, they close the indoor pools when lightning is scary bad outside because, well, it’s scary) and he was holding a metal door when lightning struck. Thankfully, he was fine, but I’m pretty sure my plan of heading to an indoor pool when the outdoor pools are closed is crumbling. Darn.

Instead of swimming tonight I hopped on my bike trainer. A nice 60 minute ride to prep for my 5 hour ride in the morning. Gulp.

5 hours should come to about 75 miles, which will be my longest ride to date (it’s also the exact distance from my house to Walt Disney World. hmmm). That’s a long, long time on a bike, I hope my butt is ready for it.

I read an interesting article in Runner’s World the other week that claimed runners who spend the majority of their day in a seated position (whether it be on a couch or at a desk chair) are just as bad as couch potatoes who sit all day and don’t run at all. (See: Sitting is the New Smoking – Even for Runners) It made some valid points that had me questioning my own habits of barely budging from my chair all day at work (or not moving from the couch the day of a long run or ride).

I’ve been making some efforts lately to take a couple of walking breaks during the day. I guess it helps that the bathroom is a good walk away and I have a small bladder. Walking back and forth between the two through the day counts, right? The article also mentioned constantly changing positions to movement and I’m the biggest fidgeter out there. Check that one off, too!

Schools started back up this week. I already miss the lighter summer traffic. It’s crazy what a difference school-zone traffic really makes. We were also kicked off the track this morning because cross country season has started back up. Totally understandable, I mean it’s the school’s track. We just created our own 400 meter path on the road and used that. Doing 12×400 on the road still kicked my butt. I went out too fast and bonked on the last sets. Typical.

I need to get some sleep. I have a lot of time to spend on a bike tomorrow. Good night!

1 [email protected] August 22, 2013 at 10:22 pm
2 Farah @ Fabulously Farah August 22, 2013 at 10:38 pm

You’ll kill the five hour ride tomorrow! Can’t wait to hear how it goes 🙂 I hope you have nice weather.

Don’t you just love those summer thunderstorms?!
Farah @ Fabulously Farah recently posted..Natural Energy Booster Drink

3 Kayla @ Fit Life Forward August 22, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I went to the track the other evening to get in some 800s and couldn’t – at either track in my town. But that is ok – like you said. I’m an elementary school teacher so that means back to work!

4 Mrs. Swan August 22, 2013 at 11:28 pm

4 pm rain every afternoon sucks! Especially when it lasts into the evening. 🙁 You enjoy that five hour ride. YIKES!
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Not loving this

5 Gretchen August 23, 2013 at 8:26 am

Interesting article. Is it possible for you to make your desk at work a stand-up desk? I know that’s supposed to help.

6 sal August 23, 2013 at 8:38 am

I have been wanting a walking station at work forever. About time to bring it back up and nag some more about it! Thanks for sharing
sal recently posted..Waterproof Walking Shoes updated Tue Aug 6 2013 4:03 pm EDT

7 Michele August 23, 2013 at 10:30 am

I work for a health insurance company and that topic has come up quite a bit. It totally stresses me out! I’m working so hard at increasing my running miles and now I have to worry about my work-time, too! (I work in digital marketing.) Oh well…I can only do so much.

I hope your ride is awesome!
Michele recently posted..Here I Am

8 Ashley August 23, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Good luck on your ride!! That may be too tempting for me about the distance to Disney…although I bet I’d be far to wiped to walk around the park all day after THAT kind of ride…

9 Axel (@apkussma) August 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm

As far as breaking up the sit sessions. Coffee is the answer: 1) get up to get coffee, 2) get up because the coffee makes you go to the bathroom, 3) see step 2) 4) get up to rinse your cup so you can have fresh coffee again.

Problem solved.

P.S. great work building up your bike ride to longer times/distances.

10 Kristie August 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

The building got struck by lightning, not the lifeguard. I’m guessing it probably felt like it would if you got a shock from sticking your finger in a socket (something I think all of my siblings did as kids at least once) since he just went home afterwards.

11 Annette @FitnessPerks August 23, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Good luck on the ride! That IS a long time for the butt! Dang!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Thoughts {5}

12 Natalie @ Free Range Human August 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I’ve been hearing so much about the sitting issue lately, and I’ve been making an effort to stand up at my desk this week. I really can tell a difference!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..And So It Begins….

13 egb August 23, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Good luck with the big ride. I can totally relate on the rain issue. It doesn’t seem to stop here in GA!
egb recently posted..Fuelin’ up Friday: ENERGYbits

14 Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind August 23, 2013 at 4:28 pm

That is a long time to sit on a bike seat! Good luck1
Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind recently posted..It’s the freakin weekend

15 MissPinkKate August 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Lightning terrifies me!

16 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats August 23, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I have a desk job and I HATE sitting all day. I feel sleepy and lazy and have so much less energy than I did when I had a job that had me on my feet all day. I am looking into converting my desk to a standing desk so that I can limit my sit time at work.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Fitness Friday: lots of treadmills, where are the abs, and listening to your body

17 Mary August 24, 2013 at 4:38 am

Years and years ago, four of the horses at the stables I used to work at were killed by a lightening strike and it’s made me really uneasy about lightning ever since. I love watching storms, but from a safe place!
Mary recently posted..DNS

18 Allie August 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I hear you about the sitting all day. In January of this year, I switched my desk configuration to a stand-up desk (my employer is generous in that they provide that option), and I really love it. I’d kill for a treadmill desk, but that’s not an option at my work. The stand-up desk is the next best thing, though – it does take some getting used to, but I notice that I feel more alert and focused, and I’m apparently burning more calories by standing up all day.
Allie recently posted..HCG Diet Meal Plan: What’s Involved?

19 Brittany Breaux August 25, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Have you considered changing your swims to the morning? It might be solo, but might be better than a cancelled practice! We’ve had some similar t-storms here in Texas, so I try to do morning practices when I can, to make sure I get time in the water.
Also – on the standing desks, I have one at work and LOVE it. Helps the hips a lot. Now we’re converting our desks at home to standing only, because it makes no sense to sit around at home also.
Brittany Breaux recently posted..Lately