Ironman Training: Week 13

by Meghann on August 21, 2013

Yikes. I am LATE on this one. Whoops.

Well, as predicted, this wasn’t a great training week. I left for Seattle on Thursday and was a busy, busy bee the whole time I was there. I ended up only getting in one dedicated workout while away, but I also did a ton of walking and heavy lifting if that counts.

Week 13 means I’ve officially passed the halfway mark in my (24 week) training plan.

75days.jpg

75 days to go? Eeekkk…

I have two big travel weekends left (Labor Day and the week after), then I am a homebody until race day (right when the workouts will REALLY pick up). I’m looking forward to it!

Monday

AM: 70 min Bike Trainer

Trainer rides are starting to get longer. I’m going to have to get up earlier to squeeze longer rides (and runs in)

AM: 20 min Run

PM: Swim

For some reason I can’t access my DailyMile account so I’m not sure what the distance was. 2000+ yds I think.

20130813_191458.jpg

Tuesday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

Tried to get as much time as I could on the trainer before I left.

AM: 2200 yd Swim

Couldn’t remember the exact workout, but it involve a lot of paddles and drills.

Wednesday

AM: 2000 m Swim

• 400 warm up
  • 8 x 50 @ 1:00 (4 + 8 were fast)
  • 1:00 min rest
  • 8 x 50 @ 1:00 (4 + 8 were fast)
  • 1:00 min rest
  • 6 x 50 @ 1:00 (3 + 6 were fast)
  • 1:00 min rest
  • 4 x 50 @ 1:00 (2 + 4 were fast)
  • 1:00 min rest
  • 100 hard
  • 200 cool down

Stayed on Jess’s draft for the first few sets. Probably the first time I made all the sets in a long course work out.

Thursday

AM: Nada

Travel day. I flew out 7:30am Florida time and landed 1:30pm Seattle time, then was put straight to work. It was a looonngggg day.

Friday

AM: 6.3 mile run

Had a perfect run along the water. The weather was great and I could have kept running forever if I didn’t have to go to work.

c3b5daf8068111e3b6fb22000aeb121f_7.jpg

Saturday

Nada

I was up late and had an early call time, unfortunately I couldn’t fit a workout in.

Sunday

Nada

A 3:30am wake up call usually means a workout isn’t going to happen. I should really start wearing a Garmin when I’m working. I swear I walked at least 5 miles around the park! I also impressed some co-workers by lifting some heavy boxes all on my own. (p.s. I miss CrossFit)

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 7

Miles: 45.16 mile

Time: 6 hours 11 minutes

It is what it is. Next week will be better. I’m already looking forward to my 4.5 hr bike ride on Friday!

1 Caroline August 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Eeek- not much time left to add in all those miles. Good luck these next few weeks with increasing your mileage!
Caroline recently posted..Surrounded by Flowers!

2 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm

What a crazy week you had! Great job getting in what you could! some weeks are gonna be hard! I think you are doing a great job!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Time To Make Some Changes

3 Ashley August 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Not much time left! I know you like sightseeing and whatnot (who doesn’t?) but it seems that you spent quite a lot of time in Seattle playing, rather than working out. If you’re having trouble fitting in training for a major endurance event, sometimes those fun things have to go. Duck tour or a workout? With an Ironman looming, I suggest workouts. Just my two cents.
Ashley recently posted..Training Recap: Week 13

4 Katie @ Balanced RD August 21, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I LOVE Seattle!! Pike Street Market is my favorite place to go…all of the fresh fruit and veggies and seafood is AMAZING!

5 Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick August 22, 2013 at 10:34 am

Keep up the good work! You’re doing great.
Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick recently posted..Where have you been…are you hiding from me?

6 Rachel August 22, 2013 at 11:16 am

Yay, you’re in my neck of the woods! The weather has been perfect lately – enjoy your runs, and good luck with increasing your miles in prep for Ironman. I’m so impressed that you’re able to juggle such a busy schedule while trying to stay on track with your training. You’re an inspiration!

7 egb August 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I am so impressed you are getting in so much training with all you travel. Well done!

8 Lauren August 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Would it be your benefit to see if you can drop down to a half Ironman since you’ve done one before? I’m just thinking, with your life change of a new job this year, maybe this isn’t THE year for the Ironman. It would probably take a lot of pressure off. Just a thought.

9 Ashley August 22, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I know I’ve seen a lot of IM train on the biketrainers, but I feel like I would struggle on them, in the same way as a treadmill. Is it similar for you?

10 em August 22, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I appreciate how honnestly you are recording your training journey, and how tough it can be to fit workouts around life. I think this is something all your readers identify with! Good luck for next week – and well done for all those early starts.