more ยป" />

Seattle Adventures

by Meghann on August 20, 2013

And I’m back (again) this time returning from beautiful Seattle, Washington!

1157734_10103428725668123_1992278156_n.jpg

LOVE Seattle. I had the pleasure of spending an extended layover in Seattle last year and fell in love with the city. I’m so happy I had the chance to return for work this past weekend. I made sure I took advantage of any free time I had to explore this beautiful city.

The first morning we were here, I had a chance to complete a 6 mile run along the water.

c3b5daf8068111e3b6fb22000aeb121f_7.jpg

The weather was perfect for running – low humidity and a nice cool breeze. I always forget how wonderful it is to run in that type of weather, my body was enjoying it so much that I easily kept a sub-9:00 min pace and barely felt like I broke a sweat. If I didn’t have to be at work, I could have easily gone on for a few more miles past the turn around point (I was just having too much fun).

For breakfast, my co-workers took me to their favorite doughnut spot in the city: Top Pot Doughnuts.

20130816_075924.jpg

They’ve basically been raving about Top Pot Doughnuts since they knew I was going to Seattle with them. The Top Pot Old Fashioned doughnuts are actually the same doughnuts you’ll find in Starbucks all around the country.

20130816_080705.jpg

There were a zillion options to choose from and each one looked delicious. I loved the unique flavor choices and the fact that none of them looked perfect. They all looked slightly misshapen, as if they were made by hand with love.

20130816_080542.jpg

I ended up going with the salted caramel old fashioned. It basically melted in my mouth. The salted caramel glaze was light and didn’t over power the cakey doughnut smothered underneath. It was a delicious doughnut.

20130816_130317.jpg

Yum. Yum. Yum.

Skipping ahead to Sunday…. once we were all done with work, we decided to do something fun and touristy. What’s more fun and touristy than a Ride the Duck tour?!

P8180004.JPG

I’ve seen the duck tours in almost every major city I’ve visited, but I’ve never actually been on one before. Since we were limited on time, we thought it would be the best way to explore the city in a short amount of time (the tours are only 90 minutes long).

P8180013.JPG

It was definitely entertaining. The captain of our duck had a goofy, fun personality and filled us in on fun Seattle facts while showing us around town. (p.s. I now have an urgent need to re-watch Sleepless in Seattle, totally should have watched it before this trip.)

P8180016.JPG

We started on land, then headed to water for my favorite views of the city, the famous floating houses, and the mountains in the shore. We were on the 7:00pm duck and it was the perfect time of day to be on the water. Everything was stunning.

P8180030.JPG

P8180029.JPG

After a quick float around the water, we headed back on land and into downtown.

P8180034.JPG

All-in-all, it was a fun tour. I would definitely do another one.

We ended the night with a famous seafeast at Crab Pot.

P8190046.JPG

I <3 seafood!

Monday morning I took spin class at FlyWheel.

20130819_063852.jpg

More than a few followers suggested I take a class and there just happened to be one down the street from my hotel.

The class was incredible. Definitely my favorite spin class I’ve ever taken. Everything about the studio was really well done and the instructor was extra motivating and just plain fantastic. If I’m ever in Seattle again, I will definitely be returning for another class.

20130819_075126.jpg

Per the suggestion of my friend Katy Widrick, I ended up here for breakfast.

20130819_083025.jpg

I ordered an orange peel cinnamon braid and it was pretty epic. Nice and gooey and chewy.

20130819_083041.jpg

The rest of my day was spent exploring Seattle with the super amazing Emily.

1167529_10103443799694653_2122251271_o.jpg

My very pregnant friend was an awesome tour guide. She brought me out of downtown and introduced me to some of Seattle’s neighborhood charm. We got chocolate from Theo, saw the locks, visited GasWorks park (such a cool place!), and I got to spend some time falling in love with this little guy.

20130819_105224.jpg

Cullen is the coolest kid ever. Enough said.

I had so much fun in Seattle and can’t wait to return in the future. I took the red eye home last night and am still feeling a little off. I’m hoping a good night of sleep will fix that. I have a tough week of training ahead of me and I’m ready to dive back in!

1 Mary August 20, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Confession: I have owned Sleepless in Seattle for 5+ years but have yet to get round to opening the case! :S
Mary recently posted..And…on to the cross-trainer!

2 Farah @ Fabulously Farah August 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Reading your posts makes me wish I had a job that allowed me to travel! Sounds like you had a great time. I’d love to visit Seattle one day.
Farah @ Fabulously Farah recently posted..Ultimate Workout Playlist

3 mary @ minutes per mile August 20, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Seattle looks beautiful! Almost as beautiful as that donut ๐Ÿ™‚
mary @ minutes per mile recently posted..tea & tina turner

4 Kristen August 20, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Love that you did a duck tour! I’ve always wanted to do one but never thought about doing one in Seattle.

5 courtney g. August 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm

What a cool trip. I love Emily’s blog too!!!

6 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen August 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm

i took a flywheel class when I was on a cruise! It was a really good class
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..Laurenโ€™s Paleo Zucchini Pancakes

7 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Awww Seattle looks beautiful! It is definitely somewhere I would love to visit one day! Cullen is adorable ๐Ÿ™‚
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..IT Band and Piriformis Stretches

8 Dad August 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Ok. I want the doughnut , deffinitly the crab boil 2 please , the cinnamon twist 3please , the little kid ? Please haha there is nothing better in the World

9 Mrs. Swan August 20, 2013 at 7:39 pm

The braid and the doughnut! ZOMG! I want taste-o-vision!
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Goodbye Summer, Hello body changes!

10 Kate @KateMovingForward August 20, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Looks beautiful! I’ve always wanted to go to Seattle! Needs to happen soon, especially after seeing those doughnuts. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kate @KateMovingForward recently posted..14 Week Pregnancy Update

11 Kinsey August 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I adore Seattle! I love hanging around Ballard and checking out the locks, it’s such an awesome city.

12 [email protected] August 20, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Welcome back!

Seattle is a place I would love to visit one of these days! Those donuts look amazing!
[email protected] recently posted..Workouts + Hiking with Max

13 Julia August 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Starbucks doesn’t use Top Pot donuts anymore – they used to, but not anymore.

14 Katie August 21, 2013 at 7:32 am

Looks like you had a great time in Seattle ๐Ÿ™‚ So glad my two favorite bloggers could get together…! I always look forward to your posts these days since no matter how often you post you are still my top read!

15 Melissa August 21, 2013 at 8:30 am

Looks like such a fun city! I’ve never been to Seattle, with the exception of the airport for a brief layover, but would love to visit someday!
Melissa recently posted..Shelf Love: New Products Spotted on Shelves!

16 Ashley August 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I am not normally a doughnut girl but those babies look AMAZING. Is Seattle known for their doughnuts?

17 Caitlin August 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm

The second I saw you were going to Seattle I thought, “I wonder if her and Emily are friends??” y’all, along with Caitlin, Kath and Janae, are some of my favorite bloggers!

I have a question for you not related to this post- I’ve recently begun swimming again and I’ve been using the workouts you posted awhile back. I was wondering, since you swim so often, what kind of goggles you wear? Mine were driving me nuts today and I felt like they were leaking like crazy. Thanks!!

18 Elizabeth @ Positive Change August 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm

What an awesome trip! I would love to visit Seattle sometime, I read Emily’s blog as well and whenever I see pictures of the city I want to visit so bad!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Charleston Adventures Day 2!

19 Emily Malone August 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm

So happy that your adventures and work have brought you out to us two summers in a row! We had a fabulous time as well, and I am on the lookout for a bike necklace of my own now. ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo
Emily Malone recently posted..This Plate.

20 MegG August 21, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Aww yay! You visited some of the very best parts of town!! When you were in Fremont at Theo Chocolate did you go over and see the troll under the bridge? Sounds like you had a great time, I love living here and seeing visitors perspective!
MegG recently posted..Blogging Intentions and my problem with habits

21 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats August 22, 2013 at 8:37 am

I would LOVE to be able to travel for work. I have never been to the west coast for longer than a layover but would love to explore it. Everything looks beautiful!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Coping, Girl Power and Beats

22 Ash Bear August 23, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Seeing Emily in Seattle was so much fun when I was there too! Isn’t it amazing? If you love Seattle you’ll love Geneva when you come visit! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ash Bear recently posted..Tips for Growing Long Hair

23 [email protected] August 24, 2013 at 8:26 am

Im super jealous pants! I really want to visit Seattle someday. PS Youll be in CA next weekend for Dumbo right? Im so stinking excited for the 10K! An Alice in Wonderland theme?!? Agh! Pumped!
[email protected] recently posted..Lifeโ€™s A Beach