Ironman Training: Week 12

by Meghann on August 11, 2013

100 miles!

Screen shot 2013-08-11 at 8.25.34 PM.png

Still about 40 short of what I’ll be doing in November, but it’s a good start.

This week started off a bit slow, but ended with a great weekend of training. It’s the type of weekend that reminds me how much I love doing this!

Monday

Rest

We had a 6am flight out of Syracuse, but thanks to a 3 hr layover, we didn’t land in Tampa until close to 2:00. I was wiped from the flight and had an early evening hair appointment (who wants to workout after getting their hair done?!), so no Monday workout for me.

Tuesday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

Rollar coaster spin

AM: 15 min Run

Maddie and mommy run time.

PM: 2000 yd Swim

• 300 warm up
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:00 w/ full pull kit
  • 100 steady w/ pull buoy and band
  • 4 x 100 @ 1:55 w/ full pull kit
  • 100 steady w/ pull buoy and band
  • 4 x 100 @ 1:50 w/ full pull kit
  • 100 steady w/ pull buoy and band
  • 200 cool down

This may look like a short swim, but it still kicked my butt. Coach has suggested that all of my swim workouts not included paddles to help build strength. My arms ached after this.

Wednesday

AM: 2000 m Swim

I forgot to log this one in DailyMile so I have no idea what the workout was. I do remember lots of paddle work and arms that still ached from the day before.

Thursday

AM: 6 mi Track

• 1.5 mile run to track
  • 8 x 200 w/ 20 sec rest (averaged 00:50)
  • 400 jog
  • 4 x 400 w/ 45 secs rest (averaged 01:45)
  • 400 jog
  • 8 x 200 w/ 20 sec rest (averaged 00:52)
  • 1.5 mile jog home

I really enjoyed this track workout. It was a nice break from the 1000s we’ve been doing lately. I’m also getting better at pacing myself. My sets are all pretty even paced, instead of my last set being 30 seconds slower than my first set like in the past.

PM: Swim

Just kidding. We were just about to jump in when a loud pang of thunder closed the pool. At least it decided to thunder before I got my hair wet instead of during the first lap.

Friday

AM: 60 mi Bike Ride

20130809_104134.jpg

A new PDR!!! A little on the slow side, but happy to have some much needed time in my seat.

PM: 2 mi Run

Post-ride 2 mile run. Not sure if it was the salt I had on the bike, but I felt great for this run. Legs were ready to run, the only thing that slowed me down was the relentless sun and heat.

Saturday

12 mi Run

6efd70ee01c111e3ae2422000ae904d4_7.jpg

New strategy for long runs: bribe myself with new locations to motivate me out of bed for long runs. Left a little on the late side and paid with it with extreme heat and sun. Other than that the run was good. Legs were really tired, but that’s to be expected.

Sunday

PM: 1 mi Swim

20130811_142906.jpg

I’m so happy Beth organized an open water swim, I really needed this! We paired up before hitting the water and I ended being on the same pace with a guy named Josh, luckily he had a bright yellow swim cap on so he was easy to spot in the water. We swam along the shore for 1/2 a mile then turned around and headed back. It was good practice since swimming the ocean is a bout a hundred times different than swimming in a pool. We were fighting a current, rough waters, and I think I drank about a gallon of salt water. It was a wake up call of how many more open water swims I need to work in my training. I liked the afternoon approach (it was nice to sleep in!), which makes them a bit easier to squeeze into my weekends. I’m hoping to try to get one in a few more times before race day.

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 9

Miles: 100

Time: 11 hours 15 minutes

I’ll be in Seattle next week, which means it will be another slow week of training. I’m hoping to squeeze in a spin class while i’m there to mix it up a bit and am crossing my fingers the hotel has a pool. I already know the runs will be awesome!

1 Caroline August 11, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Open water is SO much different than swimming laps in the pools. I really don’t like swallowing lake water during tri-s, and I imagine salt water to be even worse. I hope you’re able to get in more practice in the ocean! I’m sure it’ll make a big difference on race morning.
Caroline recently posted..Celebrating My Birthday!

2 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats August 12, 2013 at 8:26 am

I think you are doing an incredible job balancing training and travel. Every time I am feeling overwhelmed I take a peak at your blog and realize I def have the time/energry to squeeze in a workout πŸ™‚ Thanks!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..St George Island Sizzler 5k Recap

3 Frannie August 12, 2013 at 10:15 am

We have the same swimsuit! And better yet, I flipped the computer to my husband and got him to say ‘hey – is that you? how did you get on the internet?’ hahahaha!

My husband injured his back earlier this summer and I’ve been taking him swimming with me. Needless to say, he thinks all people in one-pieces and swimcaps look the same. πŸ™‚

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

Wow girl you had a great week of training! I think the scariest part to me would be the open water swimming! Great job getting that in that plus all those other awesome workouts!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Training Recap: 8/5 – 8/11

5 egb August 12, 2013 at 11:48 am

That is so great that you got in a group open water swim. Always a great resource to get to practice swimming in a crowd. Sounds like another great week.
egb recently posted..Marathon Training: Week #3

6 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy August 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm

You are doing such an amazing job! 100 miles! That’s like what kara did for the Olympics!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..Fun in the sun.

7 Sara @ Zero to Sixty August 12, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Wow- that is a lot! Great Job!
Sara @ Zero to Sixty recently posted..Being at Zero

8 Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind August 12, 2013 at 1:29 pm

How do you not get exhausted from all of that cardio? Marathon training is bad enough for me. I could sleep 9-10 hours a night!

9 Kristen August 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Whoa 100 miles!?!? My roommate and I walked 9.5 on Saturday and were feeling like ballers. Very impressive- way to go!!
Kristen recently posted..Tourist Club Hike

10 [email protected] August 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Wow! Reading this makes me never want to create excuses to skip workouts. You are awesome!
[email protected] recently posted..I Mustache You…or How We Geeked Out With A Rock Star

11 Mary August 13, 2013 at 9:40 am

100 miles?…Woah! I feel chuffed when I hit 40!
You have been so dedicated to keep at it when the rest of your life has hit crazy busy. I would never have the confidence to jump into tris. It’s the open water swimming which would terrify me.
Mary recently posted..Out of action

12 Kristin August 13, 2013 at 9:53 am

Haha, I do the same thing with hair appointments and not working out. My hair never looks as good as when I leave the hair salon- gotta make it last for a day or two πŸ™‚
Kristin recently posted..Vermont for the summer!

13 Ashley August 13, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Even your “slow” weeks while traveling are more impressive than any normal week I’ve had! Keep it up! πŸ™‚

14 Johanna August 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I have been an intermittent reader of your blog for a few years now. I have never commented, but feel like this is a perfect opportunity to do so. I live in Seattle and will be doing my very first triathlon at the Iron Girl event this weekend. I’m very nervous, but trying to keep a good attitude. I’m looking forward to hopefully spotting you out there on Sunday. Hope you enjoy Seattle – there are so many beautiful places to run and swim.

15 Katie August 14, 2013 at 10:34 am

I was wondering if you were coming to Seattle next week! I saw the Iron Girl tri on the calendar and thought of you πŸ™‚ I decided not to race it but let me know if you all need any last minute volunteers.

Safe travels!
Katie recently posted..Restaurant Love: Ox Portland

16 Krys August 14, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Reading posts like yours is so motivating, may I ask what app you used to create the graph at the beginning of your post?
– Krys
Krys recently posted..A to Z Survey

17 Sarah August 22, 2013 at 7:26 pm

It’s amazing how you must love being competitive. It takes a lot of guts to follow that rigid training schedule of yours. I take my hat off to you. More power.