Ironman Training: Week 11

by Meghann on August 5, 2013

Helllllooooo out there!

I’m back from Syracuse! What a gorgeous area to have a race at. We really lucked out with weather while we there too. We had highs in the 70s everyday and it was actually cool enough to break out a light sweater each night. Love! It was almost depressing to return to high humidity and 90 degree temps.

My training was all over the place this week. I tried to front load swimming and cycling on the front end since I knew I wouldn’t have the ability to do either while traveling, then concentrated on running while I was in Syracuse. My time was crunched and I did the best I could. Unfortunately my phone ate most of my photos while I was there so I do not have any training pictures this week.

Monday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

My first of three rides on the trainer this week. I followed the workout from my training plan and felt good.

PM: 2000 yd Swim

Beautiful evening for a swim. I lost count of yardage so I’m guesstimating. We did some speed drills and paddle work.

Tuesday

AM: 2000 yd Swim

Again, can’t remember the swim workout. We worked on more speed drills and I actually managed to keep up with one of my training partners for our 50 meter sprints. I could feel the difference in my form with back-to-back workouts, it’s like all of the stuff I learned the day before was still there. Unfortunately this was my last swim for the week and I’m a little scared I’ll be back to square one when I return to the pool tomorrow.

PM: 60 min Bike Trainer

I didn’t have a plan – I just rode and tried to fit some time in on the bike

Wednesday

AM: 30 min Bike Trainer

Early morning sprints.

AM: 30 min Run

Straight from the bike to a run.

Thursday

PM: 4.5 mile run

We made it to Syracuse around lunch time. After checking out the venue and checking into our hotel, I headed to the hotel gym for an afternoon run. It was my first time on a treadmill in months and I forgot how boring it is.

Friday

AM: 4.5 mile run

Squeezed in another run on the treadmill before work. We were staying off of a highway and I wasn’t sure how the surrounding area was for running. I did receive a few recommendations on where to run in Syracuse, but I didn’t have access to my own car to explore. bummer.

Saturday

AM: 4.5 mile run

Another treadmill run. I recently became addicted to Dance Academy on NetFlix and took advantage of my time on the treadmill to get a couple of episodes in. I also made the most of it with ladder sprints.

Sunday

Nada

Sundays are always impossible for me. I’m up early, asleep early, and usually sore from being on my feet all day.

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 11

Miles: 57

Time: 6 hours 57 minutes

Not bad considering I was traveling for work over the weekend. I’m still week on/week off, so I’ll have a big training week this week and have another light week for traveling after that.

1 Logan @ Mountains and Miles August 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Ha, I randomly got addicted to Dance Academy, too. Sometimes it was too corny for me to take myself seriously…but I watched all the seasons! Way to fit all of your workouts in with all your traveling!
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..Quiet Your Mind

2 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com August 5, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I am so impressed with your dedication to your training!!!!

3 Mary August 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm

That is some serious dedication! Well done on fitting so much in whilst you were away!
Mary recently posted..Judging others

4 Kyla August 5, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I got hooked on Dance Academy in Netflix last summer. Forewarning: the end of series 2 is a major tearjerker!

5 Melissa August 5, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Wow, I definitely give you a lot of credit! Congrats to you on all of your accomplishments!
Melissa recently posted..Accepting the FINAL ROSE: Why I’m watching “The Bachelorette”

6 Annette @FitnessPerks August 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm

That IS impressive you got to do some training while on the road. Way to stick with it!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..A Glimpse

7 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm

You are traveling machine! Great job this week! To be able to fit all of that in WHILE you are traveling is AMAZING! Keep up the great work!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..A Sweet “Healthier” Treat

8 evelyn August 6, 2013 at 9:19 am

I’m impressed you managed to get so much training in considering you were traveling! When you signed up for IM, you were self-employed, now that you have a “more structured” job, are you finding it hard to get the appropriate amount of time to train? Clearly I am no expert, but i would expect runs and rides to be much longer at this point?

9 Meghann August 6, 2013 at 8:59 pm

This was an off week because of traveling. I’ll be on my bike for four hours on Friday and running for 1.5 hours.

10 Frannie August 6, 2013 at 10:18 am

Hey Meghann – maybe I missed this, but how do you convert trainer time to miles? Do you have a fancy odometer (if so, what is it?!? I’m looking for one!) or do you convert time to miles (conversion factor?) or if you’re using some kind of podcast that approximates distance for you, what is that? I’m super curious as I live in MN and winter is coming ala Game of Thrones!

11 Meghann August 6, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I bought a distance reader but I never hooked it to my bike. At this point I just guess that I generally ride 15 miles per hour on the trainer and gauge distance off of that. At this point it’s more about the time in the saddle versus the distance anyway.

12 Ashley August 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Beyond impressive that you keep this up while traveling! I know 3 runs on the treadmill aren’t ideal, but at least you’re getting the training in! Ive been struggling with the opposite problem, I got in a rutt of only treadmill running (except for my long runs). I made myself a goal yesterday to get out for any run possible and stay off that treadmill, and I’m hoping I stick with it! AHH!

13 Sara @ Zero to Sixty August 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm

NOT bad at all! Good job! 🙂 I am so scared for the winter when sometimes running outside is not even close to an option… I am already depressed about that!
Sara @ Zero to Sixty recently posted..Morning Run & Cravings

14 Jessica August 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm

That’s how our weather was for awhile in St. Louis. I miss it. I want it back. Bring on fall!
Jessica recently posted..It's a Girl Pink Floral Baby Shower Invitation – DIY – Printable – Instant Download by adornedpaper

15 Katie @ running4cupcakes August 6, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Nice work getting in some good workouts despite your crazy schedule. I love watching Netflix while on the treadmill. It makes winter running do-able in MN!!

16 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) August 6, 2013 at 8:25 pm

This post just motivated me to get my butt to the gym.. thank you! 😉
Joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Advice