more ยป" />

Dinosaur Bar-b-Que

by MealsAndMiles on August 1, 2013

Hello from Syracuse!

image

I’m here for work this weekend and am very excited to explore a new town!

In preparation for my trip, Derek and I watched Man v. Food… because that’s what most people watch before they travel to a new city, right? We have a long standing tradition of trying a Man v Food restaurant in most new cities we travel to (I would link examples but I’m blogging from my phone) and it just so happened my work crew was already planning a lunch stop at the first one featured on the Syracuse episode: Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.

image

First of all Syracuse is an adorable college town and Dinosaur BBQ adds to its charm. Right outside downtown Syracuse, the restaurant boosts an authentic bbq menu with slow smoked meat, homemade sauce, and even sweet tea. The place looks a little run down with marked walls and tables, but I think it fits the casual vibe.

image

I already knew what I wanted. My co-worker had agreed to split the Pork Sket sandwich that had been featured on the show and comes piled high with brisket, pulled pork, melted cheese, and coleslaw.

image

But before we got to that we started with fried green tomatoes.

image

They were crisp and well seasoned,ย  but I think they were missing some greasiness – they were almost too crisp for me.

The sandwich was huge,ย  just what I was expecting and the two of us struggled to finish the plate.

image

The brisket was amazing, really rich with a nice smoky flavor. I also loved the sweet addition of the coleslaw that balanced the meat perfectly.

image

The fries were also a hit, house cut and well done.

image

Our whole table left stuffed and ready for a nap – a sign of a good meal.

Havr you ever been to Syracuse before? Whar to you recommend?

1 Kathryn August 1, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I went to SU for my undergrad and masters and never left. Walk around the SU campus..its beautiful. Check out armory square (Empire Brewery) and go to Green lakes for an amazing scenery on your run, check out the canal

2 Heather August 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Late, but had to reiterate how gorgeous Green Lakes is. Best best best spot for a long run especially, so perfect.
Heather recently posted..Wineglass Marathon Training: Week 8

3 Sarah August 1, 2013 at 5:12 pm

My husband and I love going to restaurants that have been on man vs food! Always so fun ๐Ÿ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Marathon Training Day 17

4 Natalie @ Free Range Human August 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I’ve seen Dinosaur BBQ on a ton of shows! We always try to find Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives places when we go on trips.

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I love Man Vs. Food – it’s one of my favorite things to watch!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..currentlyโ€ฆ

6 Grace @ Grace Dishes August 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Yum! I do the same thing when I travel. I practically gobble up any TV show regarding that particular city.

Happy Travels ๐Ÿ˜‰
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..South Florida Road Trip Part I

7 Bridgette August 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm

My family is actually from Syracuse. On a Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives I saw a place in Armory Square called Pastabilities. It looked amazing and not like typical italian food which is heavy on sauce!!! I hope you enjoy Syracuse.

8 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm

That looks delicious! Every time my husband and I travel somewhere we always look up the man v food or Diners Drive-ins and Dives website and see if there is anything nearby!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Everything Changes

9 Amyloispie August 1, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Grew up in Syracuse ๐Ÿ™‚ Pastabilities is great for dinner..The Eggplant for breakfast…The Brooklyn Pickle for lunch and so on. Enjoy!

10 Ashley August 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm

My brother in law lived in Syracuse, but unfortunately we never got to visit. We’ve visited quite a few Diner’s, Drive Ins and Dives, but never Man Vs. Food. This might be a fun new little game to play in new towns (or even our own!). Where to even begin? ha

11 Laurel August 1, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I went to SU! If you can, go to Funk N’ Waffles right by the campus. They make these CRAZY waffles like (turkey dinner and red velvet). It was also on DD&D’s. They have music too!

12 Georgia August 1, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I can’t believe you are in Syracuse! I work one block from the Dinosaur! Pastabilities is great, as well as Brooklyn Pickle-was just there on Saturday! Kitty Hoyne’s, Funk ‘n Waffles, Darwin’s e Byblos…to name a few!

13 Kimmy August 1, 2013 at 10:18 pm

‘Cuse girl, born and raised! I would recommend Armory Square, Empire Brewing Co has a good menu and a nice atmosphere. I’m a huge fan of the hard raspberry cider. Hope you enjoy your time here!

14 Noel August 6, 2013 at 10:03 am

You had the Raspberry Moon from Harvest Moon Cider! They are a young cidery out in Cazenovia, and their hard ciders are great. Kudos to Empire Brew Co. for promoting local products on their menu & from their taps. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Arielle August 1, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Born and still living in the ‘Cuse! I love reading you blog and am so excited your in my city! You should go to Gannon’s for some fantastic ice-cream, and try some spicy tomato oil from Pastablilities! Enjoy your time in Syracuse!!!

16 Violette August 2, 2013 at 7:46 am

You should continue on a little north into Canada and come visit Kingston! We have some great restaurants and an awesome Triathalon in Lake Ontario this weekend!

17 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats August 2, 2013 at 8:31 am

I’ve been to Dinosaur BBQ and loved it! So massive and delicious. Matt and I alwayyysss check Diners, Drive ins and Dives when traveling and have never been disappointed.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Fitness Friday and at home Crossfit

18 Melissa August 2, 2013 at 9:16 am

Sounds like a pretty neat restaurant! I, too, like to watch those types of tv shows on Travel Channel, Food Network, Cooking Channel, etc and then venture out and see/experience the places they’ve featured. I’ve never been to Syracuse, but it looks like a fun town!
Melissa recently posted..Savor the Summer: A Final Summer To-Do List

19 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) August 2, 2013 at 10:35 am

Yayy, Syracuse! I’m from the area (and actually in town visiting right now!) and love all things ‘Cuse. You’re lucky you’re visiting in August and not in January. ๐Ÿ˜‰ You definitely hit a “must stop” place with Dinosaur BBQ. Definitely wander around Armory Square if you have time. And if you need to go to a grocery store, go to Wegmans – it’s the best ever. Enjoy!

20 Jessica August 2, 2013 at 10:36 am

Looks like you’re really enjoying that sandwich! Love it!
Jessica recently posted..It's a Girl Pink Floral Baby Shower Invitation – DIY – Printable – Instant Download by adornedpaper

21 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) August 2, 2013 at 11:10 am

Haha that’s totally what I do too – use shows like Man v. Food and Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives for restaurant inspiration. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Youโ€™ve Got Mail (And Then Some)

22 Sara @ Zero to Sixty August 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm

My boyfriend is from Up State and a HUGE Syracuse fan! ๐Ÿ™‚ We went last winter to see a cuse game and it was a cute little city. I would say that if you are in upstate NY and you do not try some Buffalo wings its a crime. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am not a wing on the bone type person, but Ill eat upstate NY wings anytime.

Sara ๐Ÿ™‚
Sara @ Zero to Sixty recently posted..Wake Up & Run

23 Elyse August 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm

So glad you’re enjoying Syracuse, my alma mater! If you have time, visit Strong Hearts cafe for amazingly delicious and healthy food. Have a great time upstate!

24 Amber A August 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I live in Syracuse! My friend actually works at Dino! Such a great place! All the restaurants already mentioned are a must as well as Wegmans. Wegmans is one of my favorite places and it’s a grocery store heaven!! You also have to pick up some Hoffman hot dogs! They are the only hot dogs I’ll eat! Enjoy!

25 Running Rosa August 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I love Man vs Food. The food always looks fantastic, but I’m not sure how Adam Richman can stomach eating so much stuff! The food challenges are just ridiculous!
Running Rosa recently posted..Need a Little Color

26 Emily August 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I grew up outside of Syracuse, I never leave my parents without a stockpile of their BBQ sauce. If you have time drive out to Skaneateles, it’s a small village right on the lake. Make sure to get Dougs Fish Fry or try the winery on the west side of the lake- Anyela’s. You can never go wrong with Brooklyn Pickle for lunch!

27 Amy August 2, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Umm I second wegmans it is amazing! Also funky waffles is Delish as well. I also love love love running on the canal it’s peaceful and amazing. Another favorite for me is zebbs it’s a burger joint and fantastic yum! Have fun!

28 Kelsey August 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm

How neat – I’m from Syracuse! I would get yourself to the Dewitt Wegmans ASAP! Alto Cinco has great Mexican food. Destiny is a great mall if you’re in the mood to shop.

29 Jess August 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I’ve wanted to comment for about 4 years now and find this to be the perfect post to do so-LOVE your blog! I’m a student at SU and my family is from the area, so its my second home.. some other places you should check out in cuse would be wegmans (its a grocery store, but it is AMAZING), Funk ‘n waffles, Santangelos, Strong hearts, Destiny USA (huge mall), and you should check out Columbus bread bakery-get a hot loaf or round of bread straight out of the oven in the morning…so good!! have fun in cuse:)

30 Melissa C. August 4, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Born and raised in Cuse and went to undergrad at SU…. I would definitely recommend Armory Square as others have said. Some of the more popular places are Empire, Pastabilities, Syracuse Suds, Kitty Hoynes, Blue Tusk. There’s a bunch of local restaurants down there and cute little shops. Brooklyn Pickle is a really popular lunch spot just outside of the downtown area on Burnet Ave with hugeeee sandwiches.

31 Kristen August 5, 2013 at 12:21 am

Wow that sandwich looks/sounds amazing!
Kristen recently posted..Freestylin’

32 Sophie @ life's philosophie August 5, 2013 at 6:16 am

I love Dinosaur BBQ! I went to college about an hour from Syracuse and it was always a really special treat to go there. It’s good you went there for lunch because we always had to wait over an hour to get in for dinner. Totally worth it!
Sophie @ life’s philosophie recently posted..MCM Training: Week 2

33 Colleen L August 5, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Too funny, I grew up in Syracuse, but just went to the Dinosaur for the first time last weekend when I was home visiting. I’d eaten their food at plenty of events growing up, but just never made it to the restaurant…it was awesome!

I second the person who said Green Lakes is a great spot. I worked there summers during college and made it there last weekend for my long run. Not sure if you were able to get there while you were in the ‘cuse, but it’s an amazing spot to run!!
Colleen L recently posted..Resolution Check-In

34 Chuck August 8, 2013 at 3:41 am

This is my absolute favorite restaurant ever. We always go to the one in Rochester NY when we visit family there… basically the whole trip revolves around what night we are going to Dinosaur!