Ironman Training: Week 10

by Meghann on July 28, 2013

Another update, already? It’s hard to believe how fast these training weeks are flying by!

After taking a week to recover and travel last week, I’m proud of this past week’s training. I got my groove back and I kicked butt in a sprint triathlon. Whoop. Whoop.

Monday

AM: 1500 yd Swim

I was WIPED from working all weekend, and just did an easy, relaxing swim in the pool to get a little time in the water.

Tuesday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

Couldn’t wait to hop back on the bike trainer. Stuck to the workout from my training book and had some awesome big gear intervals.

AM: 15 min Run

Took Maddie out our for typical post-ride run.

AM: 3000 yd Swim

• 100 warm up
  • 500 steady
  • 100 kick
  • 2 x 250 steady
  • 100 kick
  • 5 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 100 kick
  • 10 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 100 kick
  • 20 x 25 @ :30

I was just happy not the be rained out. My goal was to get at last 3000 yds in. I felt slow and sluggish, but overall happy to have gotten the workout in.

Wednesday

AM: CrossFit

WOD.jpg

Totally bombed on the push presses (only doing CrossFit once a week has totally messed with my RMs), but kicked but at “Helen” and the 400m runs.

Thursday

AM: 3 mi Track

Well, almost track. We ran the 1.5 miles to the track – and were on our second warm-up acceleration -when it started to pour. Boo.

PM: 2400m Swim

• 400 warm-up
  • 6x 100 alternating right and left arms
  • 3 x 200 steady w/ 30 secs rest
  • 3 x 150 a little faster w/ 45 secs rest
  • 3 x 100 fast w/ 1:00 rest
  • 500 cool down

Rained out in the morning, but clear in the afternoon – a very backwards day.

Felt really good in my sets. It was just me and Jess at the pool and it was nice keeping my own pace.

Friday

AM: 50 mi Bike Ride

A lonely bike ride on my own. It was great until the 10 miles worth of rain in the last 15 miles. At least it was great practice riding in the rain.

Saturday

Top Gun Sprint Triathlon

• 400m Swim
  • 10 mi Bike
  • 3.1mi Run

TopGunTri.jpg

Sunday

AM: 10 mi Run

Long run with my sister. Both of our legs were tired from long bike rides so we practiced walking for .1 miles every mile. It actually made the run go by a little faster only taking it mile by mile. We had a late start and it was HOT. It’s crazy how fat a 24oz water bottle goes in that heat.

PM:

Not training related, but I wanted to share the fun family photo we took with the all the dogs this afternoon.

I <3 my family!

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 12

Miles: 97

Time: 11 hours 45 minutes

Next week is another travel week, so I’m going to try and front load all my workouts since I know it’s going to be tough to fit anything in while I’m away!

1 Victoria July 28, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Those long, solo bike rides can be boring, but they TOTALLY pay off on IM day. You’re alone almost all day, and having those training days in the bank is key. Nice week!
Victoria recently posted..Ironman Mont Tremblant Course Insights

2 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 28, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Way to go!! I don’t know how you do those long bike rides – but I guess it would be a lot like long solo runs! You really did awesome running 10 miles AFTER your race the day before!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Training Recap: 7/22-7/28

3 Caroline July 28, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I can’t believe that you’re done with 10 weeks of training already! I have a random question for you. What do you think about (how do you keep yourself mentally occupied so you don’t get bored) while you’re swimming or biking?
Caroline recently posted..Friday Facts

4 Megan July 29, 2013 at 12:01 am

Great week!
A dog family! I love it 🙂 My fiance and I have two dogs ourselves!

5 Charlie @therunnerbeans July 29, 2013 at 6:51 am

These posts are making me dream of one day doing a half ironman. Probs need to start with some triathlons!
Charlie @therunnerbeans recently posted..An Easy 10K

6 Livi July 29, 2013 at 7:07 am

woah I can’t believe you did a 50 miler the day before the race?! How did your legs feel the next day?
Livi recently posted..a full day.

7 Meghann July 29, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I’ve been doing my long runs on tired legs so they’re used to it. They felt fine.

8 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 29, 2013 at 7:52 am

You are doing so amazing. It has to be hard fitting in everything with a full time job and a husband. I’m training for my first marathon and it’s tough with two kiddos! You are doing awesome though! An Iron man is on my list of things I WILL do.

9 Jill C. July 29, 2013 at 9:58 am

Keep it up! You’re training is intense, but you are really inspirational!
Jill C. recently posted..I’m Alive

10 Melissa July 29, 2013 at 9:58 am

I love the family photo! Such a cute one!
Melissa recently posted..Smile for the Camera: A “Camera Shy” Phenomenon

11 Kristin July 29, 2013 at 10:13 am

Seeing your work of workouts laid out is so helpful. I’m a new reader and apologies if you’ve mentioned this previously, but what training book are you using for bike workouts? Thanks!
Kristin recently posted..RACE: ALLEN STONE BRAVEHEART RUN SWIM RUN

12 egb July 29, 2013 at 11:54 am

Congrats on another good week of training! It’s exciting as race day approaches.

Love the family pic with all the dogs!
egb recently posted..Marathon Training: Week#1

13 Jessica July 29, 2013 at 12:37 pm

That photo of you on the bike is really great!
Jessica recently posted..It's a Girl Pink Floral Baby Shower Invitation – DIY – Printable – Instant Download by adornedpaper

14 Stephanie Clement July 29, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Are you nervous at all that this isn’t enough training? That you’re not building enough endurance? It just seems so light for such a challenging race

15 joelle (on a pink typewriter) July 29, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Are you exhausted/frazzled at the end of your days between working and fitting in this training? I feel like half marathon training alone has been hopping around like a crazy person. 🙂
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Scenes From the Weekend

16 brianna July 29, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Best of luck! Its very hard to train for an event of that magnitute and travel! My hubby trained for an ironman and its all he did….I never saw the guy! Worked out in am…and pm when I was home from work he’d be working out again! Kudos to derek! Hah

17 Erin July 29, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Are you coming to Irongirl Syracuse? If so, I’ll be there!

18 Ashley July 29, 2013 at 10:42 pm

It must be said Meghann, you are an all star!! Amazing, following your Iron Man training is absolutely inspiring and keeps me working, even if it does pale in comparison 🙂
Ashley recently posted..Welcome Back, Love Denver (And Gus…and August.

19 Steph July 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Wow! Way to go! 50 miles is a long time to be on a bike!
Steph recently posted..*Giveaway*- 2 entries to Run For Your Lives Zombie 5k!

20 Jesica @rUnladylike July 31, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Congrats on an awesome training week! I really like your swim workouts from Tuesday and Thursday. Congrats on your sprint tri. I’m going to do my first one of the season this Sunday too. I’m in my 8th week of training for Beach2Battleship Half Ironman so it will be fun to see where I’m at with the last 2 months of training under my belt. Keep up the awesomeness! xo
Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted..Summer Running Playlist to Help You Run Happy

21 Luv What You Do August 1, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Way to go with all of that training!
I have always wondered how much time it takes to train for a full IM. I’d love to do a half next year so it’s great to read everyone’s training programs!
Luv What You Do recently posted..Living Well