more ยป" />

A Day in the Life: Race Day

by Meghann on July 27, 2013

3:46am: WAKE-UP!

Screenshot_2013-07-26-21-58-57.png

• Take Maddie outside. Wave to neighbor who is still up from the night before.
  • Get dressed
  • Finish loading bag.

4:00am: Gently wake the husband up. You know a man loves you when they’re willing to wake up at 4:00am to come cheer you on.

4:05am: Make oatmeal and coffee. I went with a simple bowl of rolled oats, raisins, cinnamon, fresh cherries, and a scoop of almond butter. Also, way too hot for hot coffee so iced coffee it is!

20130727_041635.jpg

4:15am: Post obligatory “It’s race day photo!” to Instagram.

Screen shot 2013-07-27 at 8.58.13 PM.png

4:30am: Head out the door 10 minutes over scheduled departure time. Text Sarah that we’re running late.

4:55am: Pick Sarah up from her apartment. Work a little bike jigsaw magic to make both of our bikes fit in the back.

5:00am: Start drive to Ft. DeSoto Park.

5:30am: Arrive at Ft. DeSoto Park. Have to pee so bad I’m attempted to go in the parking (damn, coffee!), but decide to wait until I find a porta potty.

5:35am: Realize the only porta potties are in transition and I need to pick up my packet to get inside.

5:40am: Grab packet.

5:45am: Body marked.

5:50am: Finally make way into transition thinking the bushes in the parking lot are still look pretty tempting.

20130727_061209.jpg

5:52am: Rack bike, throw stuff underneath bike, make a dash to the nearest porta potty line.

6:00am: Start doing potty dance.

6:05am: Curse people ahead of me in line. Wondering what the heck everyone is doing in the porta potty that’s making the line go so slow.

6:10am: Still doing potty dance.

6:15am: FINALLY! I make a mad dash inside and scream hallelujah. Door doesn’t lock, but who needs a lock with a line that deep letting people know it’s occupied?

6:16am: Porta potty door swings open and a girl who didn’t see the line stares back at me. eh.

6:18am: Head to my rack and start setting up. I’m rack buddies with 3 friends, an unexpected treat.

20130727_063245.jpg

6:30am: Leave transition and head to the beach. Water looks rough, but at least it’s a short swim (only 400 meters).

6:45am: Partake in casual people watching. I wish I would have snapped a photo of the father/son duo with matching black speedos with red skulls on the crotches. That was a sight to see.

IMG_1247.JPG IMG_1248.JPG

7:00am: First wave goes off, we start slowly making our way to the start line.

7:10am: We line up with the light blue caps. Here goes nothing!

7:12am: It’s go time!!

Swim thoughts:

• Man, I need to learn to dolphin dive, I’m wasting so much time walking in these waves.
  • Holy crap there’s a lot of people around me. Is that girl backstroking? Is she crazy?
  • This first turn is tricky. Girls are every where!
  • So much better on the straight away. I’ve only got three buoys until the turn.
  • Well, that buoy came up fast. Two more to go!
  • Oh, I see pink caps. I think I caught up to the group ahead of us.
  • I see the next buoy. This swim isn’t so bad.
  • My Garmin! I left it in my bag! looks like I’m riding and running blind!
  • Alright, final buoy. I can practically ride the current in.
  • Don’t get up until you touch the bottom. Don’t get up until you touch the bottom.
  • And I’m up. TIme to run.

7:20am: Exit water at 08:14. Bam! Fastest 400 swim yet! Start run to transition.

7:21am: Catch up with Sarah heading into transition. We both dunk our feet in the baby pool and grab cups of water before entering.

7:24am: Wave goodbye to Sarah. Leave transition at 04:22 (minus my sunglasses, I forgot them at home ๐Ÿ™ )

7:30am: I Hear “On your left, Meghann” and see Sarah’s smiling face as she passes. Darn. She’s a faster rider than she gives herself credit for.

7:35am: It’s weird not knowing my pace. I’m riding blind! I still feel really good and it’s nice going by feeling instead of determining my speed by a watch.

7:40ish am: Hit the turn around point. See Meghan and Sarah. Both girls look strong!

7:50ish am: Where did this headwind come from?! Thank goodness we’re almost done!

7:52ish am: Ride by Derek at transition and smile and wave at him. Just one more mile to go!

7:55ish am: Finish looping back around and make my way back to transition.

Time on bike: 31:23 for an average pace of 19.1 mph. <– holy moly! personal record!!!

7:58am: Rack my bike and do a quick shoe change before heading our of transition. T2: 3:04

8:05am: Say hi to Tori on the run.

8:10am: Water break! I always walk through the water stations at triathlons.

8:15am: Reach the halfway point and make a right onto the sand. WTF? I didn’t know there was sand on this race.

8:16am: Feeling good. See Sarah on the run and make it a goal to catch up to her.

8:20am: Hi Sarah!

8:24am: I see the finish line, but I have nothing left in me to sprint. I take my time and finish with a smile on my face.

Final run: 26:08

Final time: 1:13:14 AG: 14/30

8:26am: Watch Sarah finish. Go Sarah!

8:30am: Have a Rita’s Italian Ice and wait for transition to open.

9:15am: Transition finally reopens. We grab our stuff and get the heck out of dodge.

20130727_090752.jpg

9:40am: Stop at St. Pete Bagel Co for food.

9:45am: Split a donut with Derek.

20130727_100210.jpg

9:47am: Devour egg, ham, and cheese everything bagel.

20130727_100526.jpg

10:30am: Drop Sarah off at home.

11:00am: Arrive home, hop right in shower.

11:15am: Pack overnight bag for the night.

11:40am: Leave for Titusville for the night.

20130727_115628.jpg

1:20pm: Arrive in Titusville

1:22pm: Meet Spaught, my parents’ new boxer puppy. What a cutie!

20130727_134712.jpg

2:00pm: Watch Trouble With the Curve on HBO. (great movie!)

2:10pm: Eat leftover vegetable pizza

4:00pm: Meet parents at Sunrise Bakery for ice cream cookie sandwiches. Reunite with my twin brother who’s in town for a long weekend.

1079030_10151715319000750_1289896909_o.jpg

4:05pm: Split chocolate chip cookie sandwich with vanilla ice cream with Derek.

20130727_160503.jpg

4:30pm: Sit at kitchen table and reminisce with siblings.

6:00pm: Play Monopoly for the first time in 10 years.

20130727_182752.jpg

7:30pm: Dad serves dinner, a delicious spread of pork butt, broccoli and cauliflower au gratin, honey parsnips, and roasted mushrooms

20130727_194405.jpg

8:30pm: Break out leftover wedding sparklers and have an impromptu sparkler party in the front yard.

995751_10103348706317543_1174985876_n.jpg

9:00pm: Watch Admissions on demand.

9:05pm: Write this blog post

1 Karen July 27, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Wow! Sounds like you had a great race today. You go girl! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Erin July 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Congrats on the PR! And loved the all day play-by-play LOL
Erin recently posted..High-Risk and Post-Preemie Pregnancy (cerclage content)

3 Cecilia @ MommiesRun July 27, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Congrats on your PR and I loved this post! Sounds like a great day and I’m glad you’ll have plenty of memories to take away from it!

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 27, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Congrats on your awesome PR!!! It looks like such a fun filled and wonderful day with both you friends and family!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Before Work Workout

5 Renee July 28, 2013 at 12:06 am

Great job!! Looks like a fun filled day.
Renee recently posted..Mistakes

6 Mary July 28, 2013 at 1:20 am

Er…WOW! That’s a busy day! Do you not find you need to sleep after a race like that? I’m always zapped of all energy when I finish a long run and need a little nap before continuing!
Your parent’s new puppy is absolutely gorgeous!
We packed up the Monopoly board for several years after my brother overturned the table in a losing rage once when we were kids! My Mum decided it wasn’t the best game for us to play after that!
Mary recently posted..Wedding healthy review

7 Heather July 28, 2013 at 7:47 am

Gotta love Disney monopoly (I have 2 different versions!!!)

Congrats on your race!

8 Sarah July 28, 2013 at 8:22 am

Loved this time recap! Awesome race
Sarah recently posted..9 to 5

9 Sara July 28, 2013 at 8:35 am

Do your parents still have Fido?

10 Meghann July 28, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yes! They have two dogs now ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 28, 2013 at 8:45 am

Congrats on a great race!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Motivation for Whatโ€™s To Come

12 eb @ Running on E July 28, 2013 at 8:46 am

Great pics! Congrats on a great race!
eb @ Running on E recently posted..Paying it forward: Charity Running

13 Jill C. July 28, 2013 at 10:16 am

Spaught is so cute! What an elegant way to spell his name ๐Ÿ˜‰
You look sooo happy in all of your race photos! Good for you!
Jill C. recently posted..A PSA On Socks

14 Jodi @ chasing-life.net July 28, 2013 at 10:44 am

Congrats on a great race! I would love to do a triathlon but am scared to death of clipped in shoes. I actually feel and broke my arm the first time I tried to ride in them, oops! That was a few years ago and I think may be ready to try again, but am really nervous. Any advice you can give?
Jodi @ chasing-life.net recently posted..Tough run

15 Megan July 28, 2013 at 10:48 am

Sounds like a great race! Congrats on your bike PR!
BTW I have a twin brother too ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Amanda July 28, 2013 at 11:02 am

Your parents new puppy is adorable! Haha spot ๐Ÿ™‚ awesome.

Great job on your tri! All that training is really going to pay off.

17 Megan (The Lyons' Share) July 28, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Congrats on the awesome race! Those are great times!!!
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..Healthy Cauliflower Chicken “Fried Rice”

18 Amanda July 28, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I loved reading the whole day like this! Triathlons look like so much fun but exhausting, I’m sure!

19 Kate @KateMovingForward July 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Super fun to read about your entire race day! I really want to do a triathlon! You make it look easy!
Kate @KateMovingForward recently posted..ABCs of Me

20 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose July 28, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I love it! That action shot on the bike is awesome! PS- stop making me want to train for a tri!
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..NOLA 2013

21 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 28, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Super speedy bike split! I would love to do a triathlon with a beach swim but since there are no beaches in Pennsylvania that likely won’t be happening anytime soon.
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Everything’s Coming Together

22 Nora @ AdventuresMotherDaughterDuo July 28, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Hi Meghann! Reading all your triathlon race recaps inspired me to branch out from running, and try a triathlon- I completed my first sprint tri today!!! It was pretty exhausting but a lot of fun, and I’m really happy I did it ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks for the inspiration!

23 Ashley July 28, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Amazing race Meghan! Freakin’ A! Ironman training is certainly doin something for your racing legs (and fins ((for the swim??) haha).

Congrats to you!
Ashley recently posted..Shopping and I gotโ€ฆNOTHING!

24 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 28, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Congrats on a good race! I would’ve definitely needed a nap after all of that!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Wedding dress and negative splits

25 Cori @ olivetorun July 28, 2013 at 6:20 pm

This was AWESOME to read… as I just signed up for my first triathlon! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing!
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..Sleeping In, Tetris, and Text Messagesโ€ฆ My Confessions

26 Meghan July 28, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Puppy is adorable just like the other. Awesome job with the swim – those sessions are paying off! Wait til your ironman- your gonna rock it!
Meghan recently posted..Terrific 10

27 Catie July 28, 2013 at 11:19 pm

haha I love your family has the Disney monopoly! Of course! haha

28 Beth July 29, 2013 at 2:11 pm

No wonder I didn’t see you! You were outta there fast! Congrats on your bike split! Mine was also faster this year (FINALLY!). Looks like a super weekend. Great job out there Meghann!
Beth recently posted..Repeat Offender

29 Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter July 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Great job Meghann! Nice job on a PR swim and bike! It was great to see you out there. Love local races with so many familiar faces!
Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter recently posted..Race Recap: Top Gun Triathlon 2013

30 Annette @FitnessPerks July 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Nice work on the race!!! I hate when people take forevs in the porta pottys too. UGH!

p.s. that ice cream sandwich looks amaze!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Too Fast