Instant Oats

by Meghann on July 25, 2013

We had a first this morning… instead of being rained out of an afternoon swim practice, we were rained out of a morning track practice.

We tried to ignore the dark clouds moving in, but we just couldn’t out run them. We got about 2-3 accelerations in before it started pouring. Since we ran a mile and a half to get to the track, we were all struggling to get cover under the bleacher’s disability ramp to get our of the downpour. I made a joke about not having a camera to capture the moment because it was pretty hilarious. The rain was coming down hard. We waited for it to clear a little before trying to run home, then had to take shelter again when another hard rain pour came over us.

We may not have gotten the track workout in that we wanted, but at least we got a 3 mile water obstacle run out of it. It’s amazing how quickly South Tampa floods!

Once again, I owe my friends a million times over for letting me shower and get ready at their place after the attempted practice. I even got a homemade cappuccino out of them today (so good!).

I’m starting to get better at packed breakfasts, one of my recent favorites is a homemade instant oatmeal.

20130725_223938.jpg

Instead of instant oatmeal from a packet, the night before I combine 1/2 cup of rolled oats with a few raisins, walnuts, and a good dose of cinnamon in a to- go container and give it a good shake.

20130725_100507.jpg

Once at work, I’ll dump the dried oats in a bowl…

20130725_100541.jpg

Then add hot water from the hot water filter until I get the consistency I want (I like my oats on the thicker side). I finish the bowl off with strawberries and a scoop of almond butter from my desk’s stash.

20130725_100848.jpg

It’s a super easy customizable bowl of instant oats. All the cinnamon-y goodness with out the extra sugar typically included in store bought packets of instant oats.

Oh, and I’m still the queen of plastic containers at lunchtime.

20130724_121717.jpg

Eh. What can I say? I like variety when I eat. I have a bad habit of just throwing one-more-thing in my lunch bag every morning.

What’s your favorite thing to bring for breakfast at the office?

1 Mary July 26, 2013 at 12:55 am

Nothing wrong with a bit of variety! I bet your work bag ends up crazy heavy each morning with all those containers though. Carrying it in each morning must be a workout in itself!
Mary recently posted..When the real world meets the web world

2 [email protected] July 26, 2013 at 2:33 am

I was wondering what kind of lunch bag do you use? If I have only one container I tend to put it in my purse (a big one), but usually I have simple textil shopper. It is very practical and washed easy (since I spill a lot), but sometimes I feel like a grandma walking with it around
[email protected] recently posted..My best friend’s wedding

3 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 26, 2013 at 6:42 am

I typically have to grab half a protein bar in the morning. I unfortunately am not a morning person and struggle every day to make sure I at least eat something! I do love oatmeal though when I have time to plan it! I have made oatmeal before in a crock put on Sunday and been able to eat it throughout the week – that was pretty nice and made it quick and simple!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..How to Do a Proper Warm Up

4 Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick July 26, 2013 at 7:57 am

Thats so good that you are in the habit of taking your lunch. I need to take notes. And there is nothing wrong with a variety, that’s how you make your lunch NOT boring.
Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick recently posted..Everyone’s Motivation but My Own

5 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com July 26, 2013 at 8:30 am

Curious as to what sort of lunch bag you use, especially to hold all the containers. I can never seem to find one that is big enough to carry all my containers but smaller than a huge cooler.
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Homemade Ravioli

6 Melissa July 26, 2013 at 9:13 am

The homemade oatmeal looks very yummy and a great idea! I completely know what you mean about the containers, I, too can relate. I like to have variety and the containers definitely work well!
Melissa recently posted..Family Redefined: Meet “THE FOSTERS”

7 Katie July 26, 2013 at 9:44 am

I think its better to have one more thing, than to get hangry and have to go with an unhealthy option, keep it up girl!
Katie recently posted..Calling All: Minnesota Girls

8 Liz @ The Shrinking Owl July 26, 2013 at 9:47 am

It seems like your workouts get cut short a LOT because of weather. Have you considered switching your membership to a gym that has treadmills and an indoor pool so that you can give your training more of a fighting chance?
Liz @ The Shrinking Owl recently posted..My weekend of food and my dog’s giant arse.

9 Ashley July 26, 2013 at 10:29 am

I really hate having to pack breakfast- it’s my favorite meal of the day and I prefer to leisurely enjoy it on my couch. But when I’m in a time crunch I usually pack yogurt + a bar to crumble or a breakfast wrap.
Ashley recently posted..Let’s Get Real.

10 Jill C. July 26, 2013 at 10:34 am

Well, I HAVE to have some sort of protein. I go for either peanut butter or eggs every morning. I’m not as good on the weekends, though.
Jill C. recently posted..A PSA On Socks

11 Emily July 26, 2013 at 10:42 am

Great idea for oatmeal!! My lunches look exactly the same (even the same containers)! I have a stash of Luna bars at my desk in case I’m running late and need breakfast. Otherwise, I blend a smoothie real quick when I”m running out the door and drink it at my desk.
Emily recently posted..Things & Thoughts-Friday Addition

12 Lauri July 26, 2013 at 10:49 am

I bring oats every day as well, but I do overnight oats – combine them the night before with almond milk or regular milk, and chia seeds in a container and throw it in the fridge. The oats soak up the milk and then in the moring I grab the container bring it to work and usually slice in a banana whatever fruit we have on hand or sometimes raisins or granola. I eat them cold and they are very thick. You can always heat them up if you don’t like them cold. I think the oats get a better consistency than just adding hot water and eating right away.
Lauri recently posted..Livin Life

13 Logan @ Mountains and Miles July 26, 2013 at 11:16 am

I always take instant oats to work! I usually do half a cup of oats with some brown sugar and slivered almonds. It’s just so easy and so quick, plus it’s super cheap!
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..TBT: Gorillas in the Mist

14 Vicki July 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm

My lunch bag is filled with bags and containers of goodies, too. I like the option to eat multiple snacks through the day at work, spaced out every couple hours or combined if it’s a crazy day and I don’t eat until afternoon.

I’ve lately been eating instant oats with savory things at lunchtime. Today I have steamed collards and oats with spices added, a variation on my egg and spinach oats. Cooking it up with a little shaved parmesean cheese gives it an almost risotto texture and is very yummy. Real Simple had a recent article with oatmeal recipes that inspired me.

15 Kristin July 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I’ve never added almond butter to my oatmeal — great idea!
Kristin recently posted..RUNNING IN PARIS

16 Kristi July 26, 2013 at 2:43 pm

LOVE instant oats!

17 The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 26, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Great idea on the traveling instant oatmeal. Going to remember that for the fall!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..July Group Read Discussion: Where’d You go Bernadette

18 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners July 26, 2013 at 3:15 pm

i’m in a major instant oats phase… i love it with cinnamon and then i add in either regular coconut butter, chocolate coconut butter (my fav!) or choco hazelnut butter. artisana for the coconut ones, justin’s for the hazelnut. yummy!

19 Vicki July 26, 2013 at 3:29 pm
20 Nina July 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Brilliant! Why not bring a bowl and spoon to work though?

21 Ashley July 26, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I’ve definitely begun falling more and more into the bar breakfast trap, as in CLIFF bars or peanut butter Think Thin bars…this looks like a MUCH better and more satisfying option!

22 Amber @ Another Triathlon Blog July 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I love adding raw oats to my green smoothies or protein smoothies in the morning- it’s another super easy way to get in those complex carbs on the go!

23 Sarah July 27, 2013 at 8:33 am

I often make oats like this! So easy and still very delicious 🙂
Sarah recently posted..Vacation has arrived

24 [email protected] July 27, 2013 at 11:05 am

Making oatmeal this way is perfect when you’re away from home for a race, too!
[email protected] recently posted..17 Miles on Empty

25 Tricia July 27, 2013 at 11:15 am

That’s exactly what my lunches typically look like. It’s so hard to fit it all in my lunch bag.

26 Abbie July 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Your desk looks like my desk during lunch – I even have the Rubbermaid containers too! I’ve had several coworkers comment on the vast number of containers I bring to work 🙂

27 BroccoliHut July 28, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I’m the same way–I love eating lots of little things rather than just one main thing, like a sandwich or something. I justify it by saying that variety is the key to optimal nutrition!
I am saving this idea for in-office breakfasts. I’m starting an internship in a few weeks, and I’ll need some on-the-go meal ideas!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Carolina in My Mind

28 Emily July 31, 2013 at 8:57 am

Such a great idea and so easy…and don’t you agree they taste so much better than the pre-packaged ones!?
Emily recently posted..Midsummer Nights Pasta Salad

29 Krys August 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I definitely prefer more variety in my lunch bag, the more the merrier! (but yours look yummier)
– Krys