Blizzard Beach

by Meghann on July 23, 2013

Everyone knows about Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom, but did you know Walt Disney World is home to two water parks?! Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.

I hadn’t been to either park in years, but couldn’t resist a quick trip to Blizzard Beach when I was at the Disney Sports Festival last week.

P7150134.JPG

I have so many wonderful memories of Blizzard Beach. I swear, we were there every other weekend when I was a kid. It was the perfect place to take a group of hot, cranky kids to cool off on a hot sunny day. I remember racing my cousins on the toboggans, fighting with my siblings over tubes, and my dad creating the biggest splashes on the family water raft ride. I’m not sure when we stopped going, but it had to be at least 10 years since we were there last.

After our ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex tour during the morning, I took my sister to Blizzard Beach to relive our childhood.

P7150135.JPG

We headed straight to the Toboggan Racers for an old fashioned throw down.

P7150120.jpg

The lines weren’t exactly short, but they moved quickly.

P7150123.jpg

P7150125.JPG

P7150128.jpg

While we were waiting to go, the lifeguard asked my sister if she was a lifeguard because of her tan lines. Nope. Just someone who spends a lot of time in the pool in a one piece.

P7150131.jpg

My swimsuit pretty much covered up my crazy tan lines, but they’re also all over the place too. The pros and cons of race training, right?

P7150132.jpg

Kelly and I were very bummed to discover we were too old for the kids play area. That was always the best part!!! We did get in line, but a kid called us out letting us know that it was 12 and under only. Darn.

P7150138.JPG

P7150139.JPG

P7150141.JPG

P7150140.JPG P7150145.JPG

P7150149.JPG

P7150153.JPG

P7150155.jpg

We only had enough time for three rides before the thunder and rain move in.

P7150156.JPG

Bummer.

We still had a blast! it was fun to relive our childhoods for a couple of hours. The park hasn’t changed at all in the last 10+ years! I can’t wait to go back some day.

What’s your favorite water park?

1 Mary July 23, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I love your swimsuit top! What brand is it?

2 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 23, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Aww it looks like such a good time you two had though! I haven’t been to a water park in AGES! I hope to go to FL and visit all these places sometime soon!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..I Can’t, I Can’t, I Can!

3 Elise July 24, 2013 at 1:35 am

I second Mary – what brand is the swimsuit?! Its adorable and looks like it actually holds the girls in – something that’s a definite plus in a swimsuit for me!
Elise recently posted..Pachacamac MerrellPeru Trail Race

4 Mary July 24, 2013 at 4:56 am

I haven’t been to a water park in years, but my family always used to go to one on the last day of our holidays each year. I really miss it and is definitely something I plan on repeating when I have my own kids!
Mary recently posted..When the real world meets the web world

5 Coco July 24, 2013 at 5:31 am

I haven’t been to a water park in years- looks like a good time!
Coco recently posted..Jamestown, RI Half Marathon- Recap and Results

6 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 24, 2013 at 6:27 am

Wow looks like you had so much fun! So jealous of the weather. It is winter and so cold here.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #22

7 Emily July 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

I have actually never been to the water parks, despite having gone to Disney multiple times! I looks like such a fun time though 🙂
Emily recently posted..Merry Christmas {in July}

8 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose July 24, 2013 at 10:02 am

As a kid I always went to Adventure Island, but haven’t been since senior year in high school!i actually have never been to Blizzard Beach! Cray I know. Looks fun though … Especially in this awful hot weather.
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..WOW #7

9 Melissa July 24, 2013 at 10:26 am

Looks so fun! Ever since first seeing Blizzard Beach years ago as a child, I’ve always wanted to visit! I’ve been to Typhoon Lagoon, but never Blizzard Beach. Hopefully someday soon!
Melissa recently posted..Friends we Left Behind

10 Anna July 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

Ditto on the suit top! Where is the suit from?

11 Natalie @ Free Range Human July 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I actually couldn’t tell you the last time I was at a water park. I’m not a big fan of them. Amusement parks, however? All over that!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Company in Camp

12 Robyn @thereallife_RD July 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I haven’t been to a water park in years but they are so fun! As a kid, we use to go to the concession stand and I always remember getting a frozen three musketeer!

13 Lindsay July 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm

love blizzard beach — especially the ski lift 😀

14 Kristin July 24, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I’ve never been to the water parks, even though I’ve been to Disney a bunch. I love the runDisney events and have run them the past few years. Looks like such a blast!
Kristin recently posted..RUNNING IN PARIS

15 [email protected] July 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Blizzard Beach is probably my favorite. I took my youngest brother there years ago and I have sweet memories of testing our bravery on some of the more intimidating rides. 🙂 I too proudly sport the funny tan lines from running…you ladies inspire me with your Ironman training. You should be very proud of what you are doing!
[email protected] recently posted..Is it REALLY July?!?

16 Kathleen July 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm

What a great way to cool off during the summer. Definitely more refreshing than Ironman training out on the open roads in the blistering sun. Perfect way to refresh!

17 Katie July 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I sported those same tan lines for prom way back when… 😉

18 Nikole July 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm

We have a Schlitterbahn here in KC close to wear I live and I take my 14 mos old son. He loves the little kid area. Oh how times have changed. I now only play in 6″ of water unless my husband is there. He will love having a watermark less than 10 mins from home as e gets older.

19 Tempie @ The Texas Peach July 24, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I love the Schlitterbahn waterpark in New Braunfels, TX!
Tempie @ The Texas Peach recently posted..The New Road ID App

20 Tracy Schwartz July 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm

We went every August for a week to Disney as my dad had a work tradeshow the same week every year. One year my sister who was 6 wondered away from my mom. Rather than spending the time in the play area we searched the park. We found her after a few minutes but my mom refused to take us alone ever again…so we haven’t been back since.
Tracy Schwartz recently posted..Outdoor dining @cnarky21 (at The Cheesecake Factory)

21 Elizabeth February 3, 2015 at 11:36 pm

I found this post through some Iron Man googling and I have to know, where did you get your suit? My shoulders are all weird from wearing suits several sizes too small when competitively swimming (can’t have any drag!) and tie back bikinis hurt after a while, so I’m on the look out for a cute, non-tying swim suit.

Thanks!