more ยป" />

Ironman Training Week #9

by Meghann on July 22, 2013

The crazy month and a half of traveling has officially begun!

Did you miss me? I’ve been just outside Boston for the last few days working up a storm! Unfortunately the house we were staying at didn’t have Internet or cell service, so I was very disconnected when I wasn’t on the job. Honestly it was nice to disconnect for a few days.

I’d love to say I was able to fit in some great training while away, but that wasn’t the case. The first and last morning I was able to fit in a swim, but that’s it. We were working long hours the entire time – out the door at 7am, back at the house by 11pm – and sleep was priority. I’m just treating this week as a recovery week and leaving it at that. I’m traveling every other week until September 8th, so it’s going to get interesting.

Monday

AM: 1000 yd swim

I was pooped after back-to-back long rides and runs on Saturday and Sunday. I treated Monday as an active rest day and did an easy swim in the Boardwalk’s “quiet pool.”

20130715_064123.jpg

Tuesday

AM: 60 min bike trainer

Followed this week’s trainer workout, a 5/4/3/2/1 ladder that went up, then down.

I should have gone to swim that night, but I could barely keep my eyes open when it was time to leave. I ended up beelining it home and going to bed by 8. It was awesome.

Wednesday

AM: 60 min bike trainer

Trying to fit in as much time as possible on the bike before leaving for MA.

Again, I had plan to swim in the afternoon, but the rain got the best of me. I waited 30 minutes for the pool to reopen before I gave up and just went home.

Thursday

AM: 5 mi run

I was thankful to get a run in before my flight. I was hoping to run while I was traveling, but it just wasn’t practical where we were staying.

Friday

AM: 1500m Swim

The place we stayed at had a pretty nice pool. I was up before the crew and got a decent swim in before our 7:15am call time.

20130718_170036.jpg

Saturday

Work Day

Let’s call it a “strength training day.” I was lifting some pretty heavy tables, boxes, etc.

Sunday

Work Day

Ditto on the strength training. Oh, and all the walking. I woke up sore… surely that counts for something?

Weekly Totals:

Workouts: 5

Miles: 37

Time: 4 hours 30 minutes

Ummm… yeah. So there you have it.

Now that I’ve had my “recovery week,” I’m ready to dive back into training. I actually have a sprint triathlon on Saturday morning that I’m looking forward to. I’m racing a few co-workers, which makes it fun. Nothing like a little competition to make ya work that much harder. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Victoria July 23, 2013 at 7:58 am

Enjoy your sprint this weekend!

I found that it is important to schedule recovery weeks during travel weeks, as possible. Some travel weeks are short and don’t impact training much, if at all, but others I know will be rough. It definitely requires moving things around and getting out of the standard weekly rhythm, but it can be the only way to keep the training plan on track.
Victoria recently posted..Lies, Damn Lies, and Garmin Data

2 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose July 23, 2013 at 8:08 am

I’m impressed with what you DID do during such a busy week! Good luck on that sprint!!
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..WOW #7

3 Courtney July 23, 2013 at 8:27 am

I love the duck in the first photo. ๐Ÿ˜› Nice work fitting in some workouts between the madness!

4 egb July 23, 2013 at 8:44 am

Good luck on the sprint tri! Good job getting in workout while traveling. Always a challenge!
egb recently posted..Marathon training: warm up week

5 Beth July 23, 2013 at 9:10 am

Top Gun? Hope to see you out there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

6 Katie July 23, 2013 at 9:56 am

If I wake up sore, I am happy! Bummer about the rain though! Good luck at the triathlon! Are there any workplace wagers on how has what time/place?
Katie recently posted..#IGBloomington: 9 weeks Left.

7 Lindsay July 23, 2013 at 10:17 am

Have you thought at all about postponing your Ironman training to next year? If I were you, I would be worried about the lack of training you’re able to get in with your work schedule!

8 Sally July 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Comments like this are so annoying. She has already we training religiously for weeks, paid for her entry and is registered. It’s nonrefundable. Oh and she’ll have the same job next year.

Why don’t you try being more supportive and positive or just keep your mouth shut? Geez.

9 Melissa July 23, 2013 at 10:19 am

I LOVE the Boardwalk hotel! It was always one of my favorite Disney hotels as strolling the “boardwalk,” brings me back to happy times spent on the boardwalk at the Jersey Shore (I’m from the suburbs of Philadelphia). The pool looks like it was certainly a good one to spend time in, too!
Melissa recently posted..Finding that Hidden GEM: The Best Stores for Jewelry!

10 Nikki July 23, 2013 at 10:57 am

I agree with others — it’s amazing how much you were able to fit in traveling so much!

I was wondering how you measure distance in the pools when you’re not in a standard-length pool. I’ve been traveling a lot this summer, too, and I always have a pool or body of water nearby but don’t know how to properly measure distance. so I end up skipping my swims — would love to get them in if there is a good way to measure. Thanks!

11 meghan @ little girl in the big world July 23, 2013 at 11:40 am

Are you doing Top Gun? I’m doing it too! Can’t wait!
meghan @ little girl in the big world recently posted..Small Town, Big Charm: Newnan

12 Maggie July 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I just found your blog last week and have recently gotten into running! Im so excited that i just PR 3 miles in 30:10 last night. It was hard and I felt like i was going to die but you have to start somewhere, right?! I have really enjoyed reading all your race recaps and everything else on your blog. I have tried to search a few things on your blog and was having issues with the search engine. Have you ever done a post about how much running and triathlons have cost you over the years? i have noticed the cost of races and gear can add up and would love to know your thought on it. I was also wondering if you have done a post on your favorite gear. Im using my iphone now to track my runs and would love to get a watch but i dont know what type to get. Thanks girl!

13 Meghann July 23, 2013 at 10:10 pm

The best I’ve got is a post I wrote about how much a 70.3 triathlon cost me a couple of years ago http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/10/11/how-much-does-a-half-ironman-really-cost/ Here’s a favorite gear gift guide I wrote last Christmas http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/12/10/2012-holiday-gift-guide-for-runners/ Hope that helps!

14 joelle (on a pink typewriter) July 23, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Lordy. Just looking at your trainining schedule each week exhausts me.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Fuel

15 Jill C. July 23, 2013 at 1:26 pm

You still got a good amount of fitness in, even during a hectic week! Good for you! What exactly is a Sprint Triathlon? I suppose I could look it up myself, but you’ll probably give a more fun summary, haha.
Jill C. recently posted..A PSA On Socks