Brick Sisters

by Meghann on July 13, 2013

If Floridians stayed in every time the forecast called for rain, we would never go anywhere!

The forecast called for rain today (What am I saying? It’s summer! The forecast always calls for rain), but my sister and I decided to take a chance anyway and met up at the trail head that’s halfway between us.

We lucked out with GORGEOUS bright blue skies that, thankfully, stuck around for our entire ride.

20130713_081434.jpg

We had 50 miles on deck with a post-ride 2 mile run to follow. I was so thankful Kelly was able to meet up, I know I should be doing a good amount of long rides on my own, but man it’s nice to have someone to talk to every once in while!

20130713_081449.jpg

The ride was simple: 25 miles out and 25 mile back. It was a really flat, well shaded trail that had a nice tailwind for the way out and a mild headwind on the way back. Kelly and I spent the entire 50 mile ride chatting. I hadn’t seen my sister in a month, so it was nice to play some much needed catch-up. Kelly just returned from a two week Mediterranean cruise (so jealous!), recently got a new job, and is currently house hunting. Man, a lot can change in a month!

20130713_104928.jpg

Neither of us felt any need to push the pace (we’re both following the same plan and it says to keep it easy for the long rides and long runs during this phase) so we kind of went with the flow. We ended up averaging 15.1 mph. Not a bad ride if you ask me.

20130713_104937.jpg

20130713_094636.jpg

On my bike, I carried two bottles of Gatorade (the 20oz Polar bottles on the back) and one bottle of water (the 20z Camebak in the middle).

20130713_094630.jpg

I finished all three bottles on the ride and, for once, felt great when it was time to run. I actually made an effort this ride to continually drink and the effort definitely paid off.

I also had two packs of the Gatorade Endurance Carb Energy Chews (they sent me a box to try)

20130713_094706.jpg

I thought they were tasty. I liked how the pack was easy to open while I was on my bike. Only the top ripped so I could push them out one at a time when I needed them and didn’t have to worry about losing the whole pack in the process. They also dissolved in my mouth and weren’t obsessively chewy.

And a Crunchy Peanut Butter Clif Bar.

20130713_104917.jpg

I ate 1/2 at the 1/2 way mark and another 1/4 at mile 35 and the last 1/4 at mile 45.

As soon as were done with our ride, Kelly and I dropped out bikes at the cars and traded in our cycling shoes for running shoes.

20130713_125159.jpg

By this point (it was 12:30!) the heat was close to unbearable. It was HOT, HOT, HOT and the humidity wasn’t doing us any favors. Blah.

We decided to break the run up into 2:30 of running and :30 of walking. This is the same run/walk plan we’ve stuck to for our HIMs and plan to do for Ironman Florida in November. I’m a huge fan of planned walking breaks when it comes to endurance triathlons, especially when it’s so HOT.

20130713_104921.jpg

2 miles in 19:58.

Done!!

I said good-bye to my sister and headed to Starbucks to claim my favorite treat (well, after I first stopped at Publix and got a sub – yum!).

20130713_140631.jpg

My first time trying the Hazelnut flavor. It was amazing and tasted sooooo good after the long ride.

Now that my long ride is done for the week, all I have left is my long run.

10 miles or bust in the morning!!

1 Mark Eichenlaub July 13, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Wow, that Starbucks looks good!
Nice work and it was well earned.

2 Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com July 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm

your training motivation is wicked impressive
Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Crossing things off my list

3 RunEatRepeat July 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

You are a rock star.
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Silent Saturday–A Watermelon and a cat

4 Megan (The Lyons' Share) July 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Totally agree that you’re a rockstar and so motivating! I have a long ride on tap for tomorrow and was kind of mentally dreading it, but you made me excited!
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..Orange Almond Protein Muffins

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 13, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Wow! You inspire me! I was exhausted after my 12 mile run today let alone a 50 mile bike ride PLUS a 2 mile run!! Keep it up! you are awesome!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Hot Long Run

6 Eric July 13, 2013 at 7:45 pm

The runs off the long bike rides are brutal. I change clothes and wipe down with a cold hand towel to cool off some before the run. How do you like the water bottle holder behind the seat. I zipped tied a single cage under the seat and when the bottle is full it gets launched. Happened three times today.
Eric recently posted..Treasure Coast Classic Circuit Race

7 Sarah K July 13, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Way to go! I need to get some of those behind the seat water bottle holders. I’ve never seen those before.
Sarah K recently posted..Reading Frustration

8 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Well done! Another great workout complete 🙂 I want to try those Gatorade energy chews now as they sound really handy and good.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Apple Pie Parfait with Rolled Spelt

9 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose July 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I love planned walks! Even though I keep my mileage low, I was introduced to the Galloway method (which is. Kinda what I think you’re doing) and my knees are very thankful for this! 🙂
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..WOW #5

10 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny July 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I’ve been craving a good bike ride – but 50 miles is a bit much for me right now! I’m always so inspired by what you do…definitely a goal to work towards!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..Italian Summer Pasta Salad

11 Mary July 14, 2013 at 5:26 am

Very inspiring. 50miles in that heat is a crazy distance! And followed by a run too?! Very dedicated! Sounds like your IM training is going well. 🙂
Mary recently posted..Asking my witness

12 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 14, 2013 at 8:33 am

Doing awesome. Keep it up!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..Running Recap

13 eb @ Running on E July 14, 2013 at 9:55 am

Great job on the ride! How fun to get to workout with your sister. It’s always nice to have someone along for a long workout.
eb @ Running on E recently posted..Troop Trot 10k Trail Run Race Recap

14 Coco July 14, 2013 at 11:57 am

Great job! It’s awesome that you have a built in WO buddy 😉
Coco recently posted..No excuses

15 Elisabeth July 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm

That sounds like an awesome brick!

I miss Kelly’s blog! Congrats to her on all she’s got going on – what’s her new job?

16 Katie July 14, 2013 at 9:08 pm

WOW!!! Way to go! I’m so jealous you have a sister, and a sister that trains with you, and at your pace, you’re a lucky girl!
Katie recently posted..Cloudy Catchup and Spinning!

17 Katie D. July 15, 2013 at 8:32 am

I miss Kelly’s blog too! My sister and I have trained for a couple half marathons and 25ks together, so I understand the commaraderie of training with a sister 🙂

18 Kayla @ Fit Life Forward July 15, 2013 at 10:55 am

Every time I read about your runs I am so amazed, impressed, and in awe! I have some friends who are planning to embark on your journey soon and I’ve told them to come and check out your blog! I can’t wait to read about how you rock it!
Kayla @ Fit Life Forward recently posted..Post Marathon Recovery & Testing My Legs

19 Renee July 15, 2013 at 3:36 pm

So fun that you get to train with your sister. My sister and I used to run together in high school although we would get pretty competitive, but now that she’s 1000 miles away, I miss it.
Renee recently posted..Would You Rather–Running Style Survey

20 Alex July 17, 2013 at 9:20 am

Your (and your sister’s) energy is unbelievable, at least for me. I wouldn’t be able to endure the heat for so long, let alone run under the hot summer sun. But wow, I’m now motivated to try and be productive this summer. Any advice on what kind of bike I should look into?