more ยป" />

Banded

by Meghann on July 12, 2013

Happy Friday!!!

Who’s pumped for the weekend?!?! I am! I am!

Tomorrow I’m meeting my sister for a long bike ride, Sunday I’m heading to Disney World for the ESPN Wide World of Sports Festival Media Event (super excited for that), and my backyard is getting a makeover somewhere in between. What are your plans?

Since we were rained out of swim practice yesterday (what else is new?), we had a Friday morning swim practice this week.

20130710_185928.jpg

The pool was PACKED at 6:00am. Maybe it’s because everyone keeps getting rained out of their afternoon sessions and we’ve all retreated to the morning? Also, there’s long course in the morning which means there are only half the lanes available. I LOVE swimming long course, but it does take up a lot of precious pool real estate making the switch.

Since we were low on lanes, 5 of us had to squeeze into a single lane for practice. Coach decided today was a good day to work on form. After a 300 warm-up, we put bands around our legs that stayed on the whole practice. The “bands” are old bike tubes that are tied around our ankles to prevent our legs from kicking. If you move with good form you’re usually okay, but the moment you struggle and start to slow down, you sink.

To make it even more fun, we use paddles the same time we have our legs tied. Paddles are my enemy. I know I need them to help build shoulder strength since my stroke SUCKS, but I feel awkward and slow with them on. the paddles combined with the band is complete torture.

Our practice was made of of 50s. We traded off 6 x 50 with paddles and 6 x 50 paddle free, rotating paddles with each new set (we did 3 total).

Fun fact: I’m right handed, but left arm dominant.

How is that possible? I have no idea. I’ve always been stronger on my left side when it come to weight training and favor my left arm when kayaking. Apparently I favor it in the pool.

My coach kept reminding me how awful my right arm looked after each set. “Left was fine. Right sucked.”

When I’m swimming, both arms feel the same in the water, but for some reason I’m getting a deeper pull with my left arm, while my right arm breaks at the wrist and goes no where. Whenever I thought I finally got it right, my coach would give me a simple no. Ugh. So frustrating.

My shoulders were burning by the end. Definitely a tough and frustrating workout.

Derek and I tried a new-to-us pizza place for dinner tonight: Cappy’s Pizzeria in Seminole Heights.

20130712_192156.jpg

I’ve heard good reviews about the place, but have never been. It’s a cute hipster-ish place that serves both Chicago deep dish and New York style pizza. They also have a great beer selection. Luckily I was warned ahead of time that it’s cash only.

20130712_194628.jpg

The menus were hand written on the back of record covers. How fun is that?

20130712_192409.jpg

To drink, I had a Lucky U IPA from Breckenridge Brewrey.

20130712_192918.jpg

Pretty good.

Derek and I split a small Greek salad to start.

20130712_193638.jpg

I really enjoyed the dressing, it wasn’t too heavy or overpowering. I also thought the toppings were plentiful and delicious.

When choosing between the Chicago deep dish or New York style pizza, Derek picked the Chicago deep dish. We ordered the medium veg, which was PLENTY for the two of us to share (+ leftovers).

20130712_195717.jpg

The crust was just okay; it was surprisingly crispy for a deep dish pizza. However, the toppings were great; fresh and bulky. I really liked the sauce, lightly sweet with a bit of basil.

20130712_195752.jpg

We both left stuffed.

We stopped on the way home and got Spring Breakers from RedBox. We’re an hour in and I would NOT recommend it. Awful, awful movie.

1 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 12, 2013 at 10:12 pm

That pizza looks delicious and I think I may have just decided what to eat tomorrow night after my long run ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope the movie gets better – I’m currently watching a documentary on the woman who sued McDonald’s over her hot coffee…sometimes I just need a do-nothing Friday night. Good luck on your ride tomorrow!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..My Daily Supplements

2 Heathers Looking Glass July 12, 2013 at 10:25 pm

See you at the media event! Going to be fun!
Heathers Looking Glass recently posted..Beach Trip 2013: Day 3

3 Sarah July 12, 2013 at 10:32 pm

ahh you’re gonna be in disney on sunday? let me know where you’re at and i might come meet you! ๐Ÿ™‚ i’m off that day anyways!
Sarah recently posted..Cady Way Trail

4 Kimmy July 12, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I am also right hand/left arm dominant. I’m in the medical field, and we actually learned in one of my classes that this is a common finding- many people will use one arm for fine motor skills, like writing or using a key to unlock a door, and the other arm is reserved for things that require strength or heavy lifting (when I pick up a baby I settle it in my left arm, that sounds strange but it is the first example I can think of)

PS I just discovered your blog a couple weeks ago, LOVE IT ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m reading from Syracuse, NY.

5 Sarah K July 12, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Yum that pizza looks excellent and so cool they use record covers for the menus!
Sarah K recently posted..The Secret to Looking Like You Dressed Up in 5 Easy Steps

6 meredith July 13, 2013 at 5:16 am

I am a lefty but in sports, I bat righty throw lefty and play hockey golf and lax as a righty. I can also right very well with my right hand….Even though I am a New Yorker, I love Chicago deep dish! I really need to get myself back to Chicago for Gino’s East- the best!
meredith recently posted..Weekend Amusement

7 Christine | Mindful Juggling July 13, 2013 at 7:43 am

I’ve never tried swimming with bands, sounds tough!
Christine | Mindful Juggling recently posted..simplify {my inbox}

8 Angela July 13, 2013 at 8:59 am

I used to live right by that Cappys! I miss that place. Totally agree with you about Spring Breakers. We didn’t even finish it!

9 Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com July 13, 2013 at 9:25 am

Breckenridge brewery makes a few of my favorite beers. I love their Vanilla Porter

10 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose July 13, 2013 at 9:36 am

Is that a potato salad on the side of the Greek salad? That’s always a nice surprise-way better that way! And I’d recommend Identity Thief next movie night….looked dumb but turned out to be hilarious! At least we thought so ๐Ÿ™‚
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..WOW #5

11 amyt July 13, 2013 at 9:54 am

We rented Spring Breakers last night as well…….very strange, and def not worth it. SO glad I didn’t go to the movies and see it.

12 Caitlin July 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

That swim sounds ROUGH, to say the least.

I’m also right handed and very left dominant. I open jars with my left hand, I drive primarily with only my left hand, my balance on my left is far better than right, and all my issues running are on my left as a result of me dropping my right hip.

13 Courtney July 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm

This place looks awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€
Courtney recently posted..Guest Post by Daisy!

14 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 13, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Being banded sounds somewhat terrifying to me. I think I would panic mid swim and just sink. So jealous of your Sunday plans!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Salmon

15 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

That pizza looks delicious! Sorry the crust wasn’t all that!

I remember doing swimming lessons using hand paddles they would always feel so strange but definitely helped you realize what you were actually doing. That and in freestyle doing ‘finger tip drag’ where you literally drag your fingertips through the water.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Apple Pie Parfait with Rolled Spelt

16 eb @ Running on E July 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

I’m curious to hear what you find out at Disney! And it’s always good to refuel with beer! ๐Ÿ™‚
eb @ Running on E recently posted..Troop Trot 10k Trail Run Race Recap

17 The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 14, 2013 at 3:46 pm

that pizza looks delicious! we went up to our cousin’s cabin yesterday for lake fun and today we went blueberry picking and hung out in our pool. Now we are catching up on DVRd shows while my 2 year old sleeps and I read a week’s worth of blogs. Even though I should be working on my online grad class.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Last to Die

18 Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More July 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Pizza looks yummy!

We had a nice, relaxing weekend. Perfect!
Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More recently posted..Flower City Coffee Watch

19 Katie @ A Full Plate July 14, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Love Cappy’s in St. Pete! Never been to the Tampa one. We usually take out though and my boyfriend will doctor up the pizza and putti back in the oven for a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚