Dodging Lightning

by Meghann on July 3, 2013

Welcome to summer, Florida!

rainrain.jpg

Rain, Rain Go Away

We’re used to the afternoon thunderstorms that usually last an hour and leave, but this non-stop rain is really cramping my training mojo. Not to mention it just feels gross outside. Blah.

I was packing my car for swim practice on Tuesday morning when I thought I saw some lightning in the distance. I chose to ignore it and start my drive anyway. It was when I saw the second instance of lightning about 5 minutes from my house I got nervous. I could either continue the 20 minute drive and risk the pool being closed due to lightning or I could turn around and squeeze in a run at home. I pulled over to send a group text to see what the rest of my team’s thoughts were. There was a lot of back and forth, but after another teammate saw some lightning we decided to call off practice for the morning and try again that afternoon. Works for me.

I turned around and did a quick change before heading out on a 4 mile run. The run was relatively dry, minus the last 100 or so yards when it started to pour out of nowhere. I never saw any lightning on my run, but I knew the pool would be closed 20 minutes after the last strike and who knows what time they would have reopened or if we would have even of had enough time to fit in a decent practice.

It rained on and off for the rest of the day, but nothing heavy or scary. I left my office after work with crossed fingers the dark clouds would stay away and the pool would be open.

I was greeted with this when I arrived at 5:50.

http-i.groupme.com-eea91580c58f0130cd3a36bf2308c1a9.jpg

Luckily that was the last instance of thunder or lightning for the day. The pool re-opened at 5:56 on the dot and the dark scary clouds stayed away. Thanks to all the rain, the water felt great. The rain cooled the pool down and none of us were overheating in the water. For that, I thank the rain immensely.

Our coach kicked our butt in the water yesterday. We started with an 8 minute warm-up (I did 650 yds, but I was there a little early so I was able to get a couple hundred of yards in before the start), then went right into IM drills: 25 butterfly, 25 back stroke, 25 breast, 25 freestyle. Then he took the breast away, then the back, and finally gave us a 50 butterfly. After I was dying from the butterfly (that stroke wears me out like nothing else!), he announced we were doing 100 hard. So about 15 minutes into practice I was already breathing hard and dying. Then we repeated the same set. Of course.

When we were done with that, he announced we were doing 20x100s with full pull kit (paddle, pull buoy, and band on feet). Well, the fast kids were doing 20, the slow kids (my buddy Chris and I) were doing 15. I HATE paddles with a passion. I hate them because my pull sucks and I’m not able to use my strength (my kick) to carry me through. I know they’re good for me because I need to work on getting my pull stronger, but holy crap ,I hate it. I was about 10 in when I was on the verge of tears. Chris switched paddles with me and the variety helped, but I still felt like crap out there.

We ended up doing about 3200 yds and my ass felt thoroughly kicked at the end. That was one tough swim.

I have the rest of the week off and can’t wait to take advantage of all the free time to fit Ironman training in! Hopefully the weather will play nice at least long enough to fit in a long bike ride, run, and more swims. Fingers crossed!

I had a special delivery from Gatorade yesterday.

Gatorade.jpg

Gatorade sent a mini fridge FULL of product from their recently re-branded Endurance line.

20130702_145756.jpg

The fridge was overflowing with Gatorade bottles, chews, powder, “Gatorlytes,” and carb energy drinks.

20130702_150328.jpg

I’m officially stocked for Ironman training!

20130702_150517.jpg

I’ll do individual reviews of the products as I use them. I’m really excited because I’m a Gatorade girl through and through when it comes to sports drinks. I’ll tolerate other sports drinks, but Gatorade is always my number one choice.

What’s your favorite sports drink?

1 Caitlin July 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

I like Gatorade too 🙂 The red one is the yummiest. I like it because it’s cheap and available everywhere.
Caitlin recently posted..Getting Involved with GOTR

2 lauren alysse July 3, 2013 at 11:20 am

holy cow! check out that fridge! 🙂

the rain in the midwest has put a cramp in my training as well. i guess it teaches you about flexibility?
lauren alysse recently posted..6 steps to successful morning running

3 Ashley July 3, 2013 at 11:48 am

Gatorade is generally my drink of choice but I’ve recently been trying out Skratch Labs exercise hydration (http://www.skratchlabs.com/collections/drinks/products/exercise-hydration-mix-1) and I’ve been really pleased.

More importantly- WHERE are your yellow pants from?! They are so cute!!
Ashley recently posted..Blueberry Bran Mini Muffins

4 Meghann July 3, 2013 at 11:52 am

The sales rack at Loft! I got them about a month ago.

5 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen July 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

let us know how you like their products for training!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..4th of July Fruit Skewers

6 Stacey @ Starpulp July 3, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I don’t know if I’d be more excited about the product or the mini fridge! Awesome inspiration gift from Gatorade!
Stacey @ Starpulp recently posted..Grilled Avocados

7 Annette @FitnessPerks July 3, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I really like their orange chews–so tasty & awesome!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Eating Intuitively: Lessons Learned

8 egb July 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Ug, I totally feel you on the rain. I’m just up in GA and it feels like it is never ending!

So jealous of your gatorade gear. Can’t wait to hear the reviews.
egb recently posted..Don’t rain on my parade: Peachtree Road Race Expo visit

9 CG July 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Stumbled upon your blog. I too am training for IMFL. The lifeguards here shut the pool down if a dump trucks rides by. Favorite sports drink? Water with Nuun. I just placed an order for some Infinit.
CG recently posted..PSA!!! ATTENTION!!!

10 amyt July 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

HATE this weather….I don’t mind the typical FL showers…but it’s getting crazy!! We will flood again where I am – bleh. I LOVE gatorade!!! The org orange…and the green (rain) are my favs!! And I LOVE the chews!! I have a pack before softball games or before a big workout!

11 Katie @ running4cupcakes July 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I love gatorade – how cool that they sent you that!!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Chick’d! {+giveaway!}

12 Angela July 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I also like Gatorade best!!
Angela recently posted..On being enough.

13 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise July 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Lucky you! Those new Gatorade flavors sound really interesting. Looking forward to your reviews! I’m glad the storms stayed away so that you could get in your swim. I’m sure it’s frustrating when you don’t have access to an indoor pool; for a run, you could always switch to a treadmill if the conditions are particularly treacherous. Way to push through that super hard workout. I’m sure you’ll be a stronger swimmer in a week because of all of that effort!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Tuesday Tempo Run

14 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 3, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Holy Smokes that’s awesome what Gatorade sent you! I know how you feel with the rain. I was starting to go crazy. Today was the first day it was sunny in a week. It’s supposed to last 3 days before another storm!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..WIAW: Time to Back Off

15 BroccoliHut July 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I usually reach for Gatorade (I like the purple one–I think it’s Frost Riptide something?) or sometimes Vitamin Water Zero.
Love the fully stocked mini fridge they sent!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Bucket List: Elmo’s Diner

16 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 3, 2013 at 7:53 pm

5.56pm? Such a random time to reopen but glad for your sake they did 🙂

That Gatorade fridge is awesome! So glad they sent it to you.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Photos of Melbourne where I live & July Goals

17 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 3, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Um, I think this is the coolest freebie you have gotten yet! I love Gatorade even though I bleed Garnet and Gold 😉
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..WTF?! Wednesday

18 Christine @ BookishlyB July 3, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I was in Florida (Tampa and Orlando) for the first time about a week and a half ago and I actually thought at one point, caught in an afternoon down pour “how the eff do all these Florida bloggers train in this bullshit?” I guess you get acclimated, but still. Ugh. On the plus side, all the humidity-induced greenery is gorgeous!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..The Wizarding World of Harry Potter- A Realistic Recap

19 Amber @ Mamas Blissful Bites July 4, 2013 at 7:44 am

I fee like 5:56 is an odd time…is it just me?

Gatorade is my favorite – any kind! I love it to refuel during a long run!
Amber @ Mamas Blissful Bites recently posted..Week 1 Results: Schedule for #Training Half Marathon

20 Meghann July 4, 2013 at 8:08 am

It’s because they saw lightning at 5:36 and you have to wait 20 minutes from when you last saw lightning or heard thunder to reopen the pool.

21 Sarah July 4, 2013 at 9:28 am

hey meghann, do you know of any good cheap orlando 5ks that happen during the summer? i neeeed something to train for haha.
Sarah recently posted..Cady Way Trail

22 Elizabeth @ Positive Changes July 4, 2013 at 10:54 am

Wow, what a fun treat to get that Gatorade mini fridge! I love Powerade Zero, for the no calories but still a great way to replenish. I wish Gatorade would make something like that!
Elizabeth @ Positive Changes recently posted..Happy 4th of July!!

23 RunEatRepeat July 5, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Redbull and vodka. Because dancing is a sport.
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Farmer’s Market Friday