Ironman Training Week #6

by Meghann on July 1, 2013

I survived the first phase of Ironman training! The 6 week “Adaptation Phase” is now complete.

The plan I’m following for Ironman Florida (Start to Finish: 24 Weeks to an Endurance Triathlon) is broken up into four 6-week week phases. The first phase – the “Adaptation Phase” – focuses on getting back into the training groove.

From the book:

“As anxious as you might be to start doing long runs and rides, realize that starting Ironman-specific training right now will only lead to injury and mental burnout. You need to install the physical plumbing and framework necessary to handle the increased stress such training will incur.”

So that’s what I’ve been doing the past 6 weeks, getting back into the groove. This is just a taste of whats to come and – holy crap – if this is just a “taste” I’m scared what phase three will bring. Gulp.

Monday

AM: 60 min Bike Trainer

A turbo session with big gear jumps.

PM: 3 mile run

A HOT run.

20130624_190050.jpg

Tuesday

AM: 2000 meter Swim

• 200 warm up
  • 6 x 150 w/ 20 secs rest
  • 4 x 100 w/ 20 secs rest
  • 2 x 50 w/ 20 secs rest
  • 400 cool down
  • (each set got progressively faster)

Finally getting used to long course again! Now I remember why I loved it so much last summer.

PM: 30 min Bike Trainer

I just needed something to loosen my legs up. It was an easy spin while I watched an episode of Undeclared on the iPad.

Wednesday

AM: CrossFit

Warm up: 500 m row; 2 x 10 mb deadlift, 10 mb shrug, 10 mb front squat, 10 mb cleans then work on shoulder mobility

Skill Focus: Warm up and build to a. . .

• Clean & Jerk 1 RM

WOD:

• 10min amrap
  • 5 burpees
  • 10 swings #70/53
  • 5 hspu
  • 10 goblet squat with swing weight

PM: Swim

There was a crazy lightning storm and evening swim practice was cancelled. Boo

Thursday

AM: Track

• Warm-up
  • 5x1000s
  • Cool Down

I really enjoyed this track practice. I paced with two friends and they kept me from burning out in the beginning. I’m already looking forward to more track workouts with them!

PM: 200 yd Swim

20130627_192653.jpg

Practice was mainly drills. We practiced back stroke and pushing off the wall. We also did stroke drills to help my terrible habit of bending my wrists.

Friday

AM: 2 hour bike ride

I was able to squeeze in my long ride before my adventures began in Orlando. It was a simple hour out and an hour back, but it felt like I had a head wind both ways. Blah.

Saturday

Rest

Lots of walking and horseback riding, though. 😉

Sunday

AM: 8 mile run

I’m planning to write a post about this run. I did a loop around the hotel and made it to breakfast with the gang by 9.

20130630_064500.jpg

Weekly Totals:

Miles: 72

Workouts: 9

Time: 8 hrs 38 mins

Phase two starts today – it’s the “Aerobic Stage.” I’m already expecting longer workouts with a greater focus on strength training. Time to build that endurance up!

1 Ashley July 1, 2013 at 9:46 am

It’s encouraging to see you cramming in workouts even when you are away form home. I’m in the midst of training for my first marathon and I have a 10 day vacation coming up and find the fact that I’m basically supposed to fit in two half marathons while I’m gone VERY daunting! I’ve already been scoping out the area where we are staying to see if I can map out a good route.

Can’t wait to see what stages 2 + 3 bring!
Ashley recently posted..Training Rundown Week 3- Achievement Unlocked!

2 [email protected] is Sweet July 1, 2013 at 11:50 am

I love reading about your Ironman training! I’ve never done a triathlon, but your posts are making me want to try one!
[email protected] is Sweet recently posted..MIMM-Summertime!

3 Meghan @ After the Ivy League July 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I’m totally fascinated by the Ironman training process. Great week of training! 72 miles and it’s only phase 1, holy crap!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..All my Favorite Summer Activities

4 Nina July 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I always enjoy reading your recaps! Yesterday, I signed up for my first triathlon, which is ony 13 days away.

5 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen July 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm

that is just phase 1? woah phase 3 is going to be crazy!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..PB&J Fruit and Nut Bites

6 egb July 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Well done getting your workouts in even when travelling! I think the phase thing would really help me break it up and the whole beast to seem more manageable. Good job!
egb recently posted..A Tale of Two Runs and June Recap

7 Timi July 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm

You’re so motivating! I just started training for a 10k. I’ve never ran in a race, so I’m excited to have more of a focus. I can’t wait to hear about your last run (8 miles). I have that coming up soon, so I’ll look forward to your post. Thanks for still being around!
Good job on your focus!

8 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm

These are my favorite blog posts to read! They are my Monday motivations to not slack off 😉 I can’t imagine upping your already crazy training schedule.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Gyming with the Griswold’s

9 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm

You are doing great! You are a busy little bee. I couldn’t imagine training that hard with a full time job that incudes a ton of traveling!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..Marvelous Fireworks

10 Melissa @TryingtoHeal July 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm

You are a beast Megs. Glad the training is going well and I hope you’re feeling good about it!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..And….Nothing

11 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 2, 2013 at 2:25 am

Wow what another great training week! I can’t wait to hear about the next phase of your training, especially with how well this stage has gone.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Trial Tuesdays #8

12 Molly @ RDexposed July 2, 2013 at 8:12 am

Love these posts! I feel like I am the most eager for a new post by you each day.
Best wishes for the rest of training!

13 Laura @ Mommy Run Fast July 4, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I am considering an Ironman in the next 1-2 years… excited to follow along with your training!
Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..Healthy Eating Options when You’re Busy