more ยป" />

Ironman Training Week #5

by Meghann on June 23, 2013

I need to start this post with a big WELCOME BACK to my family, who just returned from a 12-Day Mediterranean Cruise.

1005941_10200338997573341_1338562697_n.jpg

Color me jealous! Derek and I were supposed to go, but had to back out when I landed my new gig. We’re hoping to go somewhere big for our anniversary in January to make up for it. ๐Ÿ™‚

It was strange having them so far away for so long. I’m used to talking to my mom, sister, or little brother once a day, I really did miss them.

I have to give major props to Kelly and Ben for keeping up with Ironman training (as much as they could) while they were away. They were at the gym almost every morning to fit a run in, and even managed to do an open water swim in Monaco.

1052218_10151644683610750_467198972_o.jpg

Now, that’s dedication!

1048163_10151644683930750_98836447_o.jpg

Apparently the water was very chilly.

My training views weren’t quite as gorgeous last week, but it did feel good to get back to my routine after traveling last week.

Monday

AM: 1400-ish yd swim

20130617_062926.jpg

Distance is a total guesstimate since I’m not sure of the exact size of the hotel’s pool. Thanks to your tips, I’m looking into purchasing a “stationary swimmer” device for future travels. My coach already owns one, so I may end up borrowing his – fingers crossed!

Tuesday

AM: 60 minute Bike Trainer

Worked on ladder intervals this week. Pushed it hard for 1/2/3/4/5/4/3/2/1 minutes with 2 minutes of rest in between.

AM: 15 minute run w/ Maddie

Our normal post-trainer run around the neighborhood.

PM: 2700 yd Swim

• 300 warm up
  • 8 x100 w/ 20 sec rest
  • 8 x 200 w/ 20 sec rest

Not my best swim ever, but I got it done. I know I need to get used to the longer sets, but they’re just so boring. Variety is the spice of life!

Wednesday

AM: CrossFIt

Warm up: 400 m run; ham & hip mob; 10 lunges, 10 transverse lunges, 10 inchworm push ups, 10 ring rows, 10 sit ups, 10 back est

Skill/ Focus: 4 x 400 m w/ a partner @ 1:1 (1 works, 1 rests) for total partner time

WOD: 6 partner rds ea NFT (1 works, 1 rests)

• 8 manmakers 35-40#/25-30# (a push up but no oh press, keep dbโ€™s at side on the jump)
  • On rds 1, 3 and 5 max reps DB BOR*
  • On rds 2, 4 and 6, 20 evil wheels

*weight is same for manmakers and db rows

My partner and I kicked butt in the 400s! We had a total time of 12:18 between the two of us (4x400s each!). I was also RXing on the WOD, but ran out of time and had to leave after round 4 in order to make it home to shower before work.

PM: 3000 meter swim

• 500 warm-up
  • 8 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 400 steady ( I did 300)
  • 6 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 3 x 100 @ 2:00 (I did 2)
  • 300 steady (I did 200)
  • 4 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 2 X 100 @ 2:00
  • 200 steady
  • 100 cool down easy

My long course swim for the week. Had to drop some sets to keep up with the fast kids, but still felt good about my workout.

Thursday

AM: Track

20130620_071902.jpg

• 10 x 400s

More 400s! Definitely not complaining here. I still need to work on starting out slow and aiming for negative splits, but I felt comfortable with my pace.

Friday

AM: 46 mile bike ride

20130621_105247.jpg

I was aiming for 3 hours and came in just under that. It was my first long ride since I had my custom fit done last week and I could already feel a difference in the way I was riding. I’m still not breaking any speed records, but I’m seeing personal improvements with my speed and attitude while on the bike.

Saturday

AM: 7.25 mile run

I was not looking forward to my long run this week (and it wasn’t even that long!). For some reason building my running mileage back up has been more challenging than I was expecting. I had to mentally push myself to get through the 7 miles, especially in the nasty heat we’ve been having. Sadly, I think I’m just going to have to start waking up earlier to run (boo!). Also, running on tired legs isn’t helping. I know it’s an essential part to training since my legs will be very tired by the time I need to run in the Ironman, but it’s really hard convincing them of that.

Sunday

REST!

Man, it felt good to sleep in! Derek and I met his parents for brunch and I stuffed my face with three plates of all-you-can-eat deliciousness. Gotta love that never-ending hunger that comes with Ironman training!

Totals:

• Miles: ย 78
  • Time: ย 9 hrs 38 mins
  • Workouts: 9

1 Rachael C June 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Looks like you pushed yourself hard all week long. Good job!

2 Becky @ Olives n Wine June 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm

It is SO hard to keep to a fitness schedule while you’re traveling! I’m impressed by both you AND your family for fitting it in! Great job ๐Ÿ™‚
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..The Minnesota Hurricane + A Birthday!

3 Andrea @ pencils and pancakes June 23, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I love swimming for workouts too but it does get boring! I have to spice it up with quick sprints and different strokes. It doesn’t help you can’t listen to music or anything.
Andrea @ pencils and pancakes recently posted..Grocery series part II: What to buy organic

4 Renee June 23, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Great job!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Your siblings work out looks like a dream also, gosh jealous of all of you for your dedication!!

5 Dana June 23, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Three questions

Where do you swim long course?

Where do you run track?

Swim trainer is interesting what brand?

6 Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries June 23, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Your ironman training posts are so fun to read…takes me back to a few years ago when I was in a similar boat. Your dedication is awesome, Im not sure that I would have been able to do that swim in the tiny pool. But I do remember a time that I had to run laps around a hotel for an hour because we were surrounded by interstates. Its crazy the things to do when IM training. Keep it up girl!
Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries recently posted..The secret to running fast and a 5k report

7 Missy @ Mileswithmissy June 23, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Oh what a great vacation that looks like! I’ve always wanted to go there ๐Ÿ™‚ I applaud you for your Ironman adventure! I just completed my very first and short triathlon today! I have NO idea how people ever train full time for an Ironman and work full time! Kudos to you ๐Ÿ™‚ I love reading about your training ๐Ÿ™‚
Missy @ Mileswithmissy recently posted..Guess what?!

8 [email protected] June 24, 2013 at 4:32 am

I am realy impressed how dedicated to training you are! I never tried doing any training twice a day, but I am sure that it would be very hard to motivate myself to work out after already beeing tired from another training
[email protected] recently posted..My best friendโ€™s wedding

9 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner June 24, 2013 at 5:12 am

Holy cats! Your rest day and three-plate brunch sound very well-deserved.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Sunday Cookout

10 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun June 24, 2013 at 6:49 am

Great workouts!! Ironman training sure is an entire new level of training! You amaze me! Great work to your siblings for getting workouts in on vacation too!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..The Two Worst Runs Ever

11 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 24, 2013 at 8:01 am

I seriously love reading these recaps and am so impressed! The past week when I was contemplating skipping a workout I actually thought “If Meghann can train for an IM you can get to the gym!”. So thanks for that ๐Ÿ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Workout Goal: Donโ€™t pass out and die.

12 Molly @ RDexposed June 24, 2013 at 8:26 am

Bottle some of your motivation and send it my way. Personally email me for my address.
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..So You Had a Bad Dayโ€ฆ

13 Elizabeth @ Positive Changes June 24, 2013 at 8:58 am

Wow what a total inspiration! Great job this week and good luck with this week!
Elizabeth @ Positive Changes recently posted..Guest Post! Inspirational Boards!

14 Megan June 24, 2013 at 9:26 am

Great week lady! You’re such a rockstar – managing work and all that.

Also jealous of your family’s trip !
Megan recently posted..#RWRunStreak Week 4

15 Ashley June 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

This weekend one of my good friends spent a lot of time trying to convince my boyfriend and I to take on an Ironman with him with in the next year. As someone who has only considered triathlons (I don’t swim much) it seems SO INTIMIDATING! He threw out some dates and would give up a lot of training time but I’m not so convinced. Definitely intrigued though. Reading your weekly training updates make me wonder if I am crazy for wanting to get as many miles + hours in as you are.
Ashley recently posted..Training Rundown Week 2

16 Brian J June 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

If you can fit it in to your schedule, you may want to consider doing your long runs on Wednesdays. Running on tired legs isn’t always the best thing to do. That way you can also get in a long brick on Saturday and not have to worry about your long run the next day.
Brian J recently posted..All American 5K PR!

17 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

your whole family is so dedicated to training .. you guys are going to do awesome during this race!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..Weekly Workouts (6/16-6/22)

18 Natalie @ Free Range Human June 24, 2013 at 11:58 am

Wow, what an awesome vacation! I definitely wouldn’t mind training swims if I could do them like that ๐Ÿ™‚
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Stupid Zombies

19 joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 24, 2013 at 12:37 pm

That is serious dedication by your brother and sister — open water swim in Monaco was probs gorgeous though!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..You Stay Classy, San Diego

20 Emily N June 24, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Great work last week!
Emily N recently posted..Struggling with the Transition, but Coming to Terms

21 Annette @FitnessPerks June 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Dang!! You go girl!

Love that your sibs kept up with their training–so so cool
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Long Weekend Bliss

22 Amanda @runtothefinish June 24, 2013 at 4:03 pm

just wanted to say kudos on killer training combined with a full time job and blogging. I don’t think people have any idea how busy you must be!
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..Action Beats Planning: Accountability Monday

23 Carly June 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Your dedication to training is inspiring! You go Glen Coco!

24 Erica June 24, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Great job girly!! You’re rocking it. My parents just traveled to Italy- it is SO weird to not be able to just call them. Hope you’re having a good Monday

25 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 26, 2013 at 2:38 am

Wow what another inspiring week of training!

I think the amount of food you can eat would be my main motivation for ever considering an iron man.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Trial Tuesdays #7