Heat Wave

by Meghann on June 20, 2013

Holy crap it’s hot out!

20130620_071902.jpg

I was sweating at the pool last night and I was sweating again at the track this morning. The sad part is it’s June and it’s only going to get hotter!

The pool was unbearably warm last night. Remind me to never complain about getting in a cold pool again! We had a long course set-up and I shared a lane with two of my friends. We had a long workout full of lots of 100s and some good coaching on hand placement and lengthening up our strokes. Right now my stroke is really short, so I’m working on correcting that problem to get the most out of my pull.

Here’s the workout:

• 500 warm-up
  • 8 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 400 steady ( I did 300)
  • 6 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 3 x 100 @ 2:00 (I did 2)
  • 300 steady (I did 200)
  • 4 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 2 X 100 @ 2:00
  • 200 steady
  • 100 cool down easy

I love long course because a 100 feels like it goes a little faster, but i hate how much longer the 100 actually is. 100 yards < 100 meters (a long course pool is 50 meters long, while a short course set up is 25 yards long). A 100 on 2:00 is a split I can hit with plenty of time to rest in the short course, but I’m really pushing it on the long course. I failed to hit some of the splits and had to subtract some distance on the longer steady sets because I finished the 300 when everyone else was wrapping up their 400s.

As I was fighting hard to hit my splits (and barely succeeding), something hit me with why I feel so slow. Yes, I’m a slower swimmer (I’m in no way denying that!), but I was also swimming with three former collegiate swimmers. All three team members have been swimming competitively since they were kids, while I just learned how to properly do the freestyle stroke a couple of years ago. I think that helped put a lot of things into perspective for me. I can’t compare myself to them because I haven’t been at this as long as they have. I just need to work on my personal improvements and keep fighting to get faster and stronger ( at my own speed).

I left the pool just before 8:00 and was knocking at my teammate’s door less than twelve hours later for track practice at 6:30am.

20130620_064529.jpg

It was nasty outside – hot, hot, hot! – and very humid, even at 6:30 in the morning. We ran a little more than a mile to the track and my clothes were already sticking to me by the time we arrived. I was covered in sweat after first lap, and it just kept coming. I don’t think I’ve ever been as thankful for my ice cold water bottle – it was a lifesaver out there!

We had 400s with 40 seconds rest after each one on the plan. I did 10 and averaged 1:40ish for each lap. I’m working on holding back on my first laps and speeding up as I go on. I did good for the first 5 or 6 with negative splits, then completely bombed on the remaining sets. Sigh.

There was a one mile cool down back to the apartment, a shower, and a quick stop at Starbucks on the way into the office. I had prepped my breakfast the night before and enjoyed a big jar of overnight oats at my desk once I got to the office.

20130620_084148.jpg

I had a couple of co-workers come up and ask what the heck I was eating. Sometimes I forget that a jar of overnight oats isn’t the norm outside the healthy living blog world. πŸ˜‰

20130620_084215.jpg

So good! Overnight oats is definitely my favorite summer breakfast. πŸ™‚

You know you’re training for an Ironman when you’re excited to only have ONE workout in a day. I couldn’t wait to come straight home after work tonight instead of heading to the pool or the track tonight. Home before 8:00? That’s something worth celebrating!!

1 Chloe (@HowSheRuns) June 20, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I know how you are feeling with the heat! I ran 6 today in 90 degrees today, and was all buy crawling back to the car.

2 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Those overnight oats look particularly tasty! πŸ™‚
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Friday Favourites #16

3 Michele June 20, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I love looking forward to overnight oats after a long (for me) and hot run!

4 Kaitlyn June 21, 2013 at 6:54 am

I so admire your dedication! You’re going to kill that Ironman in November!

5 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner June 21, 2013 at 6:59 am

You are a machine! It has just reached the 80s in Wisconsin, and I can’t even fathom how hot it is running in Florida. Ye gads!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Running Angry

6 Ashley June 21, 2013 at 8:21 am

I have a jar of white chocolate peanut butter that we are quickly going through and I am already dreaming about how delicious overnight oats in jar will taste in it!
Ashley recently posted..Hi, My name is Ashley and I’m addicted to popcorn.

7 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 21, 2013 at 8:33 am

Ugh I feel ya on the Florida grossness right now. I am dripping in sweat just walking from my car to the office at 8am. It’s going to be a longggg summer :/
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

8 Sam R June 21, 2013 at 9:19 am

Just discovered your blog. With your love of ironmans and marathons, did you ever hear about the 10 man, 1,0000 mile relay run that broke the world record last year? They ran from MN to PA in honor of injured and ill student athletes. Averaged 5:42 per mile! Its a great story! It was called the Life…Back on Track World Record Run.

9 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 21, 2013 at 9:20 am

idk if i would be able to handle running in the florida heat!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..Recipe ReDux: Summer Salad with Lemon Chia Seed Dressing

10 meghan @ little girl in the big world June 21, 2013 at 10:04 am

Nice job on the swimming!! That pool is hot! I seriously haven’t ever swam in a pool hotter than the two I use here in FL. I guess it just never got this bad when I was swimming up in TN. My goodness. And congrats on the nice track workout!
meghan @ little girl in the big world recently posted..Top 5 Friday!

11 Melissa June 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

Is that the UT track? My Alma Mater. I don’t miss the heat anymore.

12 Sarah June 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Hey, another UT grad!! Yeah, that’s definitely their track.

13 Katie June 21, 2013 at 11:01 am

YES!! It’s like a vacation when you only have one workout.

I would take your hot weather over cold Seattle weather right now but I know…the grass is always greener.

Keep it up! You’re a beast πŸ™‚
Katie recently posted..Currently Working On…

14 [email protected] June 21, 2013 at 11:11 am

Working out in super hot weather is the suck. πŸ™‚ Way to stick it out!!
[email protected] recently posted..Staying Healthy On the Water

15 Emily N June 21, 2013 at 11:44 am

Overnight oats or a SMOOTHIE is the best summer breakfast!
Emily N recently posted..Transitions and Life’s Changes

16 Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Those overnight oats made me hungry….clearly it is almost lunch time!
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..Day in the life of a full-time worker and yoga lover

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 21, 2013 at 3:03 pm

It’s about 90 in Chciago, so I can’t even imagine how hot it is in Florida! And jumping into a cold pool does suck – probably less than a warm pool, but I can still remember having to dive in at 5:00 AM for four years every morning in high school. Still gives me the shivers!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

18 Allie June 21, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I’m training for my first sprint triathlon and was wondering if you had any suggestions for dealing with the transitions. I think I’m more nervous about figuring out what I can swim, bike and run in. I’m not planning on getting a triathlon suit – thinking about swimming in capri length running tights. Any thoughts you had would be great. Thanks!

19 Meghann June 22, 2013 at 8:44 am

I’m horrible at transitions, so definitely not the best person to ask. Since it’s your first, I would suggest not putting any pressure on yourself. I find that my transitions are longer when I feel like I need to rush because that’s when I mess up and get thrown off. Practice and enjoy!

20 Steph June 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hey Allie- I just wrote a blog post about doing your first triathlon. Maybe something will help you? Check it out- http://orangespoken.com/2013/05/27/so-you-want-to-do-a-triathlon/
Steph recently posted..Lord Jeezus it’s a vlog

21 Andy June 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Love summer running, Its winter here in the southern hemisphere so i’d gladly swap the cold wet horizontal rain foggy misery for a hot sun filled workout.
Only a few months to go…..

22 Christine @ BookishlyB June 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Ahhhhhhh I’m flying into Tampa tomorrow to leave on a cruise on Monday. Apparently awesome weather to look forward to…
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..High Five for Friday

23 Sarah June 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm

AH! That’s my alma mater’s track!! (UT)

24 Molly @ RDexposed June 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I need you as a running motivator. I am such a baby when it comes to the heat. I love anything below 65*.
Love reading about your IronMan training. Keep ’em coming!!