more ยป" />

Social Hour

by Meghann on June 18, 2013

You know it’s a good day when…

You get an email at 2:00pm saying there’s an ice cream social going on downstairs.

icecreamman.jpg

Thank you, building management! You rock!

They had a “build you own ice cream bar” bar where you got to pick the ice cream base, the chocolate dip, and the toppings. I went with vanilla, dipped in dark chocolate, and covered in nuts. It was a yummy afternoon treat!

After being in the field for the last 5 days, it felt funny to return to a desk. As much as traveling wears me out, I do love being in the field. I’m already counting down the days (30!) until I leave for my next race!

I wasted no time diving into my regular routine. Up at 5:30, on the bike trainer by 5:45, and out for a run by 6:45. I packed a mean sandwich for lunch (currently obsessed with Boar’s Head Chipotle Chicken Breast and sliced asiago cheese) and my swim bag for the afternoon.

I was on my own for swim tonight as my team met that morning. The pool felt empty and quiet, I thought that would relax me, but I missed the distractions of the crowds. It was a struggle to stick with my swim, I definitely wasn’t feeling it today. :/

• 300 warm-up
  • 8 x 100 w/ 20 seconds rest
  • 8 x 200 w/ 20 seconds rest
  • Total: 2700 yds

Not a fan of this workout. It was too repetitive and tedious for my taste.

My amazing husband already had dinner all prepped when I got home. We have a pretty sweet routine going: I call him when I leave the pool and give him a heads up on the plans for dinner. He starts chopping and prepping and I put it all together when I get home.

Tonight he snapped the green beans, chopped the tomatoes, shredded the cheese, and whisked the eggs. I mixed it all together, added the spinach, and put it in the oven to make a fritatta. It was a team effort. ๐Ÿ™‚

20130618_203210.jpg

Eggs are the perfect easy dinner. Not a lot of fuss and always delicious. I paired my serving with steamed green beans and a piece of whole wheat toast slathered in pumpkin butter.

20130618_203414.jpg

I love brinner! ๐Ÿ™‚

Now it’s time to catch up on my ABC Family shows. Switched at Birth is officially my favorite show on tv right now. LOVE it!

1 Elise @ Expeditions of Elise June 18, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Meghan–how do you get from your bed to working out in only 15 minutes? I find it takes me at 20-30 minutes from the time I’m out of bed to be out the door. Any advice? I like to workout in the mornings in the summer because it gets so hot.
Elise @ Expeditions of Elise recently posted..Mondayโ€™s Messy Meals

2 Eleonora June 19, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Lay your clothes out and all your workout stuff the night before! Takes 5 minutes to put it on and leave the house!

3 Cindy D. June 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm

This is probably bizarre, but some nights I SLEEP in my workout clothes…4:40 am is EAR-LAY to be trying to get dressed!

4 Meghann June 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm

As soon as my alarm goes off, I’m up. By now I have my routine down to a science so there’s no second guessing myself. It also helps that I’m a morning person and don’t drag in the morning. It just takes practice ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Beth @ Racing Robsons June 18, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Girl! I have been craving ice cream all day. After my swim today it took all my willpower to not pull over at the nearest DQ for a cookie dough blizzard. This post is making me seriously regret that decision. I’m glad that you got to enjoy some ice cream. ๐Ÿ™‚
Beth @ Racing Robsons recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap

6 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 19, 2013 at 12:29 am

Mmm that brinner looks so good! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Trial Tuesdays #6

7 Sarah June 19, 2013 at 12:56 am

I had an identical ice cream social by our building management company today too! But in California!

8 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner June 19, 2013 at 5:19 am

My workplace used to have ice cream socials until there were cutbacks. I’m jealous!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Impress Yourself

9 Maureen June 19, 2013 at 6:42 am

Our annual ice cream day is easily my favorite day of the year. I’ve been known to come in on my day off just for my ice cream (fortunately I live close to the office). Brinner rocks. We used to have brinner a lot when was growing up. So easy.
Maureen recently posted..Motivation Monday

10 Ashley June 19, 2013 at 7:26 am

I love Switched at Birth! I also recently got hooked on Pretty Little liars so I’m trying to catch up on Netflix so I can pick up with this season. Such guilty pleasure shows.
Ashley recently posted..Snow Pea Stir Fry

11 Molly @ RDexposed June 19, 2013 at 8:30 am

It’s like pretzel day on The Office!
Hope someone gets that reference ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Tara June 19, 2013 at 11:13 am

I was thinking the same thing! Don’t mess with Stanley and his place in line!
Tara recently posted..Herb Chicken Crockpot

13 maria @ run lift life June 19, 2013 at 8:42 am

Brinner is sometimes just necessary when you have a busy life–it’s so easy!
maria @ run lift life recently posted..I bought a juicer

14 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy June 19, 2013 at 8:42 am

Ice cream bar and brinner in one day! That’s like the food jackpot! I could do that every day of my life.
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..WIAW- Snack Attack

15 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 19, 2013 at 8:45 am

YUM .. the perks of awesome coworkers
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

16 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 19, 2013 at 8:46 am

I absolutely love brinner. So easy and satisfying. A few weeks ago my office had a surprise root beer float social hour. That will forever be known as my favorite day at the office.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..WTF?! Wednesday

17 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 19, 2013 at 9:10 am

Ice cream social? Um, awesome!
Joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..My Favorite Part of D.C.

18 Becky @ runfundone June 19, 2013 at 9:21 am

Ooh, I’ve never made fritatta, but maybe I will soon! That looks super good!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..My First Triathlon: Dilettante Womenโ€™s Triathlon 2013 Race Recap

19 Caitlin June 19, 2013 at 9:47 am

I love how you and your husband work together to start/make dinner- that’s awesome! It’s funny how the environment we work out in changes daily- some days I just want my yoga mat and a quiet room, while others I crave a long run with my running friends spent laughing the whole time.

20 meghan @ little girl in the big world June 19, 2013 at 9:56 am

Those 8 x 200’s just don’t sound fun. Good for you for getting such a tedious workout in. And your dinner looks delicious!
meghan @ little girl in the big world recently posted..Potpourri: A prize, a movie, and a bike

21 [email protected] June 19, 2013 at 10:13 am

It is really great that your husband supports you with the food prep. We normaly share our duites, but if it comes to food prep, my boyfriend does only “order food online” part of the job ๐Ÿ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..Packing 101: 7kg luggage for 12 days

22 Natalie @ Free Range Human June 19, 2013 at 10:22 am

You’ve got to love a job that provides an ice cream social! So fun!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Heartbroken

23 Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

Great training day getting back into your routine! Love it!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Break Time

24 Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 19, 2013 at 11:02 am

Wow- an ice cream social sounds fantastic! My work definitely doesn’t do awesome things like that.

I am so impressed that you biked for an hour AND then ran before work and still swam after work. Your dedication to your workouts is truly impressive. Way to go!!
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..Whereโ€™s the line?

25 Emily June 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

I love Brinner too!! It’s the easiest dinner after a long day. You have the coolest job ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily recently posted..Sweat Pink!

26 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 19, 2013 at 11:28 am

Um ice cream social!?!? That would brighten my afternoon!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..One Word Wednesday

27 Emily N June 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Our building management had an ice cream day last week! It was also awesome.
Emily N recently posted..Hump Day Posting

28 Annette @FitnessPerks June 20, 2013 at 11:34 am

That’s so cool that you guys team it for dinner!

Mmmmm ice cream. Gotta have some today-thanks for the reminder ๐Ÿ˜‰
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..The Laughing Cow, Recharge Protein Bars + GIVEAWAY

29 Mary June 20, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I want an ice cream social at my work!!!
Mary recently posted..Protein really does keep you full all day!

30 Meghan June 20, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Ice cream social, so so fun! Just had eggs for dinner myself.