Lots of Turns

by Meghann on June 17, 2013

I’m back!

Man, it feels good to be home. Nothing beats coming home after a long weekend away, nothing!

I was hoping to get a swim in before we headed to the airport this morning, so when I saw the hotel we were staying at was partnered with the L.A. Fitness down the street, I got excited. I even googled the gym to confirm they had a pool (according to the website they did – perfect). This morning I got up extra early and headed the mile or so down the road to get my swim in. Unfortunately the website failed to mention the indoor pool doesn’t open until the 20th. Boo. I was in and out in a matter of 30 seconds. All I had was my swim gear on, otherwise I might have stayed and tried to get in a spin class.

Plan B: The hotel’s pool.

20130617_062926

The picture is deceiving with size, the pool couldn’t have been more than 10 yards in length. Oh, well. You gotta do, what you gotta do. So I put my swim cap and goggles on and jumped in. I made it a few strokes before I had to turn around again. On the plus side, I did get to practice my flip turns.

I wasn’t sure how to do a workout in the small pool, so I counted did 3 sets of 40 laps, focusing on accelerating my speed with each set of 10. I also did a 20 lap warm up. In the 30 minutes I had to swim, I think I did 1400-ish yards? Not the best swim ever, but I worked with what I had (not a lot of time and a short pool) and made it work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for squeezing swim workouts in at hotel pools? Any special workouts or tips?

A month or so ago I got an email from Klout that I had earned a pretty sweet Klout Perk for a one day pass for American Airline’s Admiral Club. It was perfect timing since we had just booked our flights to Chicago on American Airlines. I’d been saving that sweet little pass and headed straight to Admiral’s Club once we arrived at O’Hare to cash it in.

20130617_112926

I felt like a baller walking in. I had dreamed up this fancy, schmancy lounge stock full of free food, free drinks, and maybe even some free massages? I checked-in, then headed up an elevator where the Admiral Club was waiting for me on the third floor.

20130617_112452

I might have blown my fantasy vision up just a tad. There was free coffee, house wines and domestic beers, but all the cocktails (including mimosas!) were still priced at a premium. The free food consisted of trail mix and whole fruits. There was a mini cafe to buy hot sandwiches, salads, etc, but it was still at that premium. And there weren’t any free massages. Darn.

However, it was blisssfully quiet. I connected to the free WiFi, found a quiet corner, and conquered my email. The bathrooms were also line free and very clean. It didn’t hit me how good I had it in Admiral’s Club until I left and was reunited with the crazy, hectic atmosphere that’s the norm at any airport.

I’m thankful I was able to experience American Airline’s Admiral Club today thanks to Klout, but I’m not sure it would beworth the $50 addition to a future plane ticket. Maybe if they had the free massages and an open bar. 😉

1 Courtney June 17, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I totally admire your dedication. I would have taken 1 look at that pool and walked right back out. You deserve the upgrade to the AC after that!

2 Meghan June 17, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I agree with Courtney and admire your dedication because I too would have turned around the moment I saw that pool. You would think on the LA Fitness website they would have listed the open and close dates for the pool.

3 Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian June 17, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Sierra of PoshMeetsPavement.com flew first class on a middle eastern airline (maybe Emrates Air?) and it was what you were thinking the Admirals Club would be. Massages, full meals, caviar, champagne, the whole nine yards.
Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian recently posted..Motivational Monday

4 Meghann June 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Wow! That might be the worth the $$ upgrade!

5 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 17, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Wow that pool is tiny!!! I also admire your dedication.,
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Trial Tuesdays #6

6 Alison June 18, 2013 at 12:27 am

Airline lounges really vary A LOT from airport to airport (even for the same carrier). Some really are quite luxurious, others not so much. There are tons of reviews online — sometimes I like to splurge on a day pass, but I always Google to make sure the amenities are worthwhile.

7 Meghann June 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm

That’s a great tip! Thanks for sharing!

8 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 18, 2013 at 8:27 am

I want to start swimming but my gym doesn’t have a pool and my pool is about the size of that hotel pool so I am always thinking it is too small. You may have inspired me to suck it up and start swimming lots of mini laps.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Surviving the elliptical

9 Elizabeth @ Positive Changes June 18, 2013 at 8:38 am

Great job with sticking with your planned swim. I think I would have just gotten frustrated and skipped the workout! Great job!
Elizabeth @ Positive Changes recently posted..Buffet or Not Buffet?

10 Brittany June 18, 2013 at 8:50 am

Meghann, I just bought an aquasphere stationary swimmer off amazon (<$20) for travel and small pools. I haven't tried it, but am bringing it on a trip in a couple weeks, and it had really great reviews on amazon. Just a thought!
Brittany recently posted..Respecting My Body

11 Meghann June 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I just had to google “Stationary Swimmer” Very intriguing. I’m going to do a little more research. Let me know how you like yours!

12 Brittany Breaux June 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Yeah – should be interesting! I plan to try it out on vacation in a couple weeks and write a blog post on it.
Brittany Breaux recently posted..Les Mills BodyFlow Review

13 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy June 18, 2013 at 9:10 am

I agree with everyone about the pool! I would of just said forget it!
I love traveling. Next year is my “year of traveling in the us.” I can’t wait!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..Tech- NO

14 The Many Thoughts of a Reader June 18, 2013 at 9:15 am

I’d need a free massage and free drinks to pay 50 bucks! 😉
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..July’s Group Pick…

15 Sarah June 18, 2013 at 9:41 am

i’m super impressed that you still swam in the tiny hotel pool. that looks like torture! I belong to an LA fitness in Ohio, and their pools aren’t much better – 18 yards.

16 Ebernst June 18, 2013 at 10:02 am

International clubs/lounges are usually better, but I still wouldn’t pay to enter. Thankfully, I fly enough for work/my co-workers fly enough that someone usually has enough miles/status to get in for free. Last trip back from South America, we got into the AA club in Santiago and I was able to consume my weight in free cheese, sandwiches, and chilean wine. 🙂

17 Jen June 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

So much for the mysterious Admiral’s Club. It looks like the waiting room at my car dealership.
Jen recently posted..Disneyland

18 Emily @The Good Era June 18, 2013 at 10:25 am

Free massages/open bar is where it’s at! I’d pay more than $50 I think for that 😉 I totally admire your dedication to training even if it wasn’t an ideal situation!
Emily @The Good Era recently posted..My Relationship With Running

19 Ashley June 18, 2013 at 10:49 am

That is some serious dedication, I couldn’t imagine trying to get an actual workout in in a hotel pool, crazy!

If Admiral’s Club had an open bar AND free massages, I’d be willing to pay some extra $$.
Ashley recently posted..Cupcakes! Cupcakes! Cupcakes!

20 Megan June 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

I have found myself in too-small pools a few times when I’m just itching to swim laps. I usually give it a go and make many, many turns, but recently I started dedicating some of my time in those pools to treading water – not perfect for distance training, but a decent workout! Plus, the open water tris in my area are non-wetsuit, mid-lake starts and I learned at my first one that practicing treading comes in handy!
Megan recently posted..Happy Summer!

21 Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 18, 2013 at 10:57 am

I didn’t realize it was so cheap to upgrade to include the premium lounge in with your ticket! I have an upcoming trip where I have a 5 hour layover in Houston- for $50, I might just have to do it- thanks for the idea!!

Though I will be hoping for free drinks and massages now- here’s for hoping 😉
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..Lean in book review

22 joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 18, 2013 at 11:01 am

That makes me laugh about your fantasy of the Admirals Club because that’s TOTALLY how I imagine those first class airline clubs to be like as well!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Galloway Method – To Do or Not To Do

23 Amanda June 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm

A few years ago my husband and I went to Brazil on a school trip. After an all night 8 hr flight and then clearing customs in the wee hours of the morning we had an hours long layover in Miami. We sprang for the admirals club. The shower alone was worth the $100 we collectively spent. We also got to stretch out and nap until it was time to catch our connecting flight.

I echo all the other comments – I admire your dedication with that pool workout!
Amanda recently posted..3 Intense Days

24 Lori June 18, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I didn’t even realize they closed indoor gym pools ever. I’m an LA Fitness member and at all the gyms around me, the pool is open all year. Maybe that’s because I live in Florida?

25 Meghann June 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm

It was a new gym, they had just recently opened, but the pool wasn’t ready yet.

26 Agnes June 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Wow, that pool already looked small in the photo, and if that photo makes it seem even larger…! Kudos to you for managing to fit a workout in that tiny pool though. 🙂 That’s dedication!

27 Beth @ Racing Robsons June 18, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Wow! Way to stick with your workout even when circumstances keep getting in your way. That is some awesome perseverance!
Beth @ Racing Robsons recently posted..First Open Water Swim

28 Courtney June 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I would totally do the Admiral’s Club at O’Hare! That airport is crazy :O
Courtney recently posted..Style Spotlight: Crazy for Chevron

29 Axel (@apkussma) June 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I saw this article for triathlon gear for the road. The first item is a stationary swimmer that tethers you to, say a ladder, and gives you resistance to swim against. I don’t travel much, but even I might get one ‘just-in-case’! http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/06/triathlon-gear-for-workouts-on-the-road.aspx#axzz2WcKEgOQw
Axel (@apkussma) recently posted..The Germany Journals (Ger-nals?) Part 3

30 Nikole June 19, 2013 at 9:10 am

The President’s Club for United airlines is much nicer than that. They have free drinks and a lot more food choices. There still are not free massages but nice comfy seats and free drinks. At some airports just having a seat is nice.

For the person with the layover in Houston, I would recommend buying a President’s club pass instead. There are a ton of them at IAH.

31 Kelly June 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Do you travel with an exercise band? Loop it around the pool step railing, make a large loop of the other end and step thru it and make it snug around your waist, jump in and swim like crazy. It’s like a treadmill for swimming.

32 Meghann June 19, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I was just googling “Stationary Swimmer” this sounds like the same concept. I’ll have to try this when I’m in Boston next month.

33 bree June 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm

your hair is so cute and short!! for some reason, i forgot you cut it! lol! how did you work up the courage? im still rockin the long rocks from highschool and cant seem to get the courage up for a cut, although id like to!

34 Meghann June 19, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I’ve never stuck with a hairstyle longer than a couple of years. I know hair grows back, so I’m always chopping it off. If I don’t like it, I know it will grow out in not time. 🙂