more ยป" />

Ironman Training Week #4

by Meghann on June 16, 2013

Whoa. What a week.

I’ve been just outside Chicago for work since Thursday so I tried to front load all my training workouts near the beginning of the week. I managed to squeeze in what I could while traveling, but working 12-hour days made that a little difficult. It’s going to be harder than I thought to fit in training while traveling for work, but I still think I can make it work. I’m just going to have to rely on my other training during the week and rely on efficient, shorter workouts when I’m away. The one bonus is I do a lot of walking and heavy lifting while working, so I’m still working my muscles while on the job. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Monday

AM: 1600 meter Swim

20130610_072608

This was a “welcome back to long course” swim. ย I’m looking forward to many more morning swims this season.

Tuesday

AM: 60 Minute Trainer Ride

Typical Tuesday ride on the trainer. More intervals, another episode of ย Call the Midwife on Netflix.

AM: 15 Minute Run w/ Maddie

• 100 kick
  • 200
  • 2 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 100 kick
  • 100
  • 2 x 50 @ 1:00

A new PDR in the pool! I missed swimming with my team, but it was nice getting a long workout in on my own.

Wednesday

AM: 60 Minute Trainer Ride

I had to fit my long run in before I left, so I split it in two parts. I started the morning on the bike trainer…

PM: 60 Minute Bike Ride

…and finished the day with a 60 minute ride on the trail. It was BRUTAL out in that heat and sun. Wowza.

Thursday

Rest

Travel day. I was tempted to get a run or swim in when I had a couple hour break in the late afternoon, but ended up taking a nap instead. Whoops.

Friday

AM: 3 Mile Run

20130614_055916

I ran our run course, which was a GORGEOUS 3 mile run around Lake Zurich. I loved running that route.

Saturday

AM: 6 mile run

I woke up at 5am to squeeze in a 6 mile run before working a 12 hour day. I did 2 laps of our run course to keep it easy. the running conditions were AMAZING. I love how cool it is in the morning here, such an awesome change from hot and humid Tampa.

Sunday

Nada.

Race days are looonnngggg days. With how much my legs/back ache it sure feels like I did the triathlon with the girls.

This week’s stats:

• Total miles: 60
  • Total time: 6 hrs 48 mins
  • Total workouts: 8

It was a low week, but I was expecting that. The good news is next weekend is completely open when plenty of free time to train!

1 Allison June 16, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I love running in new places! So fun to explore.
Allison recently posted..Happy Fathers Day, Big Poppat

2 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun June 16, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Great job!! My week was a bit crazy with my job as well so my running was a little bit low this week too. I know how it can be! You can only do the best you can! It looks like you did a great job! Hope this week goes well for you!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Get Out the Door!

3 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Wow even for a ‘low’ week you still got a lot of training miles done.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Book Review: Make Peace with Your Plate

4 lisa fine June 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Wow – you are busy! Glad you’re loving your new job and that you’re getting training in despite traveling. I don’t know how you do it. ๐Ÿ™‚
lisa fine recently posted..Snapshots

5 Angela June 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I’m so surprised how much you can pack in your work outs while you’re so busy!!
Angela recently posted..My Cardstore Creation

6 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 16, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Great job squeezing in some good workouts! I think your plan to pile it on the beginning of the week was really smart. Keep it up!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Plateau no more.

7 Mary June 17, 2013 at 2:53 am

Well done for still fitting in so much during a busy working week!
Mary recently posted..Sushi squirter

8 Cait June 17, 2013 at 9:00 am

I miss your old posts! these marathon posts don’t interest me..

9 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy June 17, 2013 at 9:09 am

Keep it up! I can not wait to do an iron man! or girl!

10 Molly @ RDexposed June 17, 2013 at 9:21 am

Hope you enjoyed Chicagoland!

11 Kayla @ Fit Life Forward June 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

Way to stick with it and make it work!

12 joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 17, 2013 at 9:45 am

Awesome! Running around water is the best.

This may be a stupid question, but I’m genuinely curious – has everyone you work competed in one of th eIronman/Ironwoman races, considering they work for the company?
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Moving Truck Time

13 Meghann June 17, 2013 at 8:13 pm

No, not everyone has done a full Ironman. Probably more than your average company have, but it’s definitely not a job requirement.

14 Emily June 17, 2013 at 10:15 am

Wow, so super impressed you were able to do so much while traveling!
Emily recently posted..Dadโ€™s Day

15 Steph @ happy healthy stephie June 17, 2013 at 10:22 am

You’re one busy lady! Good job getting all of that training in.

16 Emily N June 17, 2013 at 11:06 am

Glad to see you got in most of your workouts, even if they were not perfect. i think that is what Ironman training is going to have to be all about!
Emily N recently posted..Strength, Bootcamp and Simple Walks

17 Ashley June 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

Love that a “low week” is still 60 miles, that is crazy. I hit about 50 miles total (between running + cycling) and was on cloud 9 over it, haha.
Ashley recently posted..Training Rundown

18 Hannah @ PalmBeachRunner June 17, 2013 at 2:11 pm

You are so dedicated to training! It is inspiring! ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Mark Eichenlaub June 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Holy cow you are kicking butt Meghann! Keep it up. You are really inspiring a lot of people.

20 Anne Weber-Falk June 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Hey you were in my neck of the woods! Less than ten miles away. Glad you had nice weather while you were here.

21 Jessica June 17, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I want to hear about your travels this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚
Jessica recently posted..Campfire Wedding Invitation Set – DIY – Instant Download by adornedpaper

22 Meghann June 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Unfortunately there’s not much to share. There wasn’t much exploring, just working and eating in my hotel room. ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Jessica June 17, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Oh that’s a bummer ๐Ÿ™

24 Lisa in IL June 18, 2013 at 3:32 pm

you realize that weather was a fluke Sunday morning don’t you? Just wait until you come back in August to Pleasant Prairie, it will be August, in the midwest, in the soybean & cornfields. But there is a decent outlet mall about 5 miles down the road from Lake Andrea so there’s some fun exploring. And if I don’t lose my nerve I might seek you out & say high, that is if I don’t drown in the open water portion first!

25 Rachel June 20, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Of course I love all your posts but I LOVE the cycling post most! I’ve been a cyclist for a couple of years and my roommate just got her first road bike. We are doing the 2014 MS 150, riding from Houston to Austin, 180 miles in two days! So I love reading that someone else is spending some serious time in the saddle! Go legs go!

26 Jessica June 20, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I hope you loved being up in Chicago! I work at a hotel that had a block for the Iron Girl Triathlon and then saw your posts about it and put two and two together. I really wanted to make it out to check it all out but I had some previous commitments. I hope you loved it!! =)