Buffalo Pickle Chicken

by Meghann on June 12, 2013

I set a new PDR tonight!

I guess one of the new perks of Ironman training is the ability to set new PDRs in biking and swimming (after doing an ultra marathon in 2010, I think my running PDRs are behind me). Tonight I set a first in the pool when I reached 3400 yds at the end of practice. Woo hoo!

I was able to get to the pool a little earlier than normal after work tonight. I could have waited and swam with my team, but Derek’s flight arrived late last night and I barely got to spend any time with him. I missed my husband and wanted to get home as quickly as possible so we could enjoy some extra time together. Plus, the pool was nice and empty when I arrived, I even had a lane all to myself! I can’t tell you the last time that happened!

My set:

• 200
  • 2 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 100 kick
  • 100
  • 2 x 50 @ 1:00

Total: 3400 yds

I felt really good during my swim. I averaged 1:40 for the 100s and each set flew by. I was just wrapping up as my team was arriving for swim practice. I wished them luck, then headed home for dinner with my hubby.

Dinner was a delicious treat, courtesy of the creative Mary Baum.

20130611_070834.jpg

Mary had posted a recipe for Crock Pot Buffalo Pickle Chicken on her blog on Sunday and I immediately added it to my meal plan for the week. Before work I filled the crock pot with chicken breasts, buffalo sauce, pickle juice, and pickles. After practice I shredded the chicken and roasted some brussels sprouts to enjoy on the side.

20130611_191405.jpg

The shredded buffalo pickle chicken made an excellent sandwich.

20130611_193047.jpg

The chicken was delicious. I really enjoyed the pickle/buffalo flavor combo. I think this could work with bbq sauce, too. If you’re looking to mix up your regular shredded buffalo chicken, try adding pickle juice next time.

Have you tried any interesting flavor combinations lately? Please share!

1 Sarah June 12, 2013 at 10:22 am

what buffalo sauce do you buy? Thanks!

2 Meghan June 12, 2013 at 10:27 am

I keep seeing recipes similar to this one on Pinterest so it must be good, Guess I need to add it to my menu list for the week as well. Congrats on the PDR!
Meghan recently posted..Sunset Hike

3 Karen June 12, 2013 at 11:01 am

I love these two flavors and will def be trying this soon!

4 rachel June 12, 2013 at 11:49 am

i love the addition of pickles! Sadly i make a nasty face when someone mentions buffalo sauce – tooooo salty!
rachel recently posted..my fitness pal

5 Katie D. June 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm

My crockpot is cooking this as we speak!! I only had about 3/4 cup of creamy buffalo sauce, so we’ll see how it turns out.

6 Katie D. June 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm

7 Ashley June 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm

That is a very interesting combination- never would have thought of it but now I’m definitely intrigued!
Ashley recently posted..Let’s talk about heart rate training

8 deva by defintion June 12, 2013 at 12:09 pm

That sounds like an interesting combination of flavors. We are not big buffalo sauce eaters at home, but I love both buffalo chicken and pickles. I’ve been looking for some new crock pot recipes, though.

9 Suzanne June 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

My favourite combo lately is mint and matcha- especially in smoothies!

10 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 12, 2013 at 12:48 pm

i love crockpot meals! Adding this one to all my recipes
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..CRISP

11 Katie @ running4cupcakes June 12, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Hmmm I love pickles so that sounds right up my alley. . . Famous Daves has awesome spicy pickles BTW. 🙂
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Grocery Challenge: Month 2: week 1

12 Renee June 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I saw this recipe on Mary’s blog too…I definitely think I need to try it.
Renee recently posted..Bible Bowl Son Run: K’s first 5K

13 Kristen June 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Yumm looks like a good first meal in my crockpot- can’t go wrong when pickles are involved!
Kristen recently posted..Keeping busy…

14 Krystle June 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Wow, i think i will make that buffalo pickle chicken tomorrow, its looks delicious! And i’ll have plenty of leftovers for a few easy meals over weekend! I love your meal posts, especially the ones that have a quick (or slow in the crock pot) and easy recipie. The last thing i want to do after working allll day is stand in the kitchen for an hour cooking a complicated meal!

15 Christine @ BookishlyB June 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Strawberry, guac, and chicken sandwiches (the recipe also called for bacon but we don’t do pork). Delicious!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..There’s Something About a Box of Books

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Awesome to set a PDR! You definitely got in a good swim. And it’s always nice to get out of work a little early. Even just 15 minutes seems to make all the difference to me!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #36: Switching Things Up

17 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 12, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I seriously need to buy a crock pot! That recipe looks simple but delicious 🙂
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Things I’m pinning lately

18 Allison June 12, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I don’t know if I can do it Meghan, this seems a little far outside my comfort zone!!! Glad you liked it.

19 Mary June 13, 2013 at 1:34 am

I still need to pull my slow cooker out! Aaargh! I keep Pinteresting loads of really great recipies and haven’t gotten round to making any of them!
Mary recently posted..Wedding-healthy

20 Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries June 13, 2013 at 8:16 am

Congrats on the PDR. I know when I was ironman training and I would consistently swim 3000 plus yards I FINALLY started to feel like a “swimmer.” Keep it up girl, cant wait to see how your training progresses!

Oh, and this is totally off topic but a random thought from my personal experience. Even when you are following a plan, if you start to feel like your body is totally following apart, take and extra few days of recovery. Just some friendly advice from a girl who did NOT do this, and definitely suffered the consequences!
Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries recently posted..Avoiding “all or nothing” thinking

21 Courtney June 13, 2013 at 8:46 am

Congrats on the PDR! 🙂
Courtney recently posted..An Impromptu NYC Trip

22 Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 13, 2013 at 9:25 am

That is an impressive distance to swim! Wow!

That dinner also looks really good. I love using my slow cooker for easy meals, so I definitely will be utilizing this suggestion 🙂
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..Things from around the internet