Ironman Training Week #3

by Meghann on June 9, 2013

A few things I’ve noticed this week:

1. My hunger is out of control. I really need to dedicate a whole post to this, but I may hold off another week. If it’s this bad already, I wonder what it’s going to be like in 10 more weeks.
  2. I’m sore! I could barely life my arms on Thursday and I couldn’t decide if it was the pull drills on Tuesday night or CrossFit on Wednesday morning that had me immobile. It all blends together now, my body could really be sore from anything.

Monday

AM: 5 Mile Run

I loved starting the week off with a run.

Tuesday

AM: 60 Minute Trainer Ride

This week’s trainer workout featured speed drills. On for 30 seconds, then up to 90 seconds.

AM: 15 Minute Run w/ Maddie

I haven’t been wearing my Garmin on my post-trainer runs with Maddie. We go the same loop each week that takes us just over 15 minutes to complete, I think it’s about 1.6ish miles? I like going at Maddie’s pace and keeping the run pressure free with pace and distance.

PM: 2375 yd Swim

• 4 x 50 @ 0:55
  • 4 x 50 @ 0:50
  • 50 butterfly kick w/ board
  • 50 kick w/ kick board
  • 2 x 50 drill
  • 50 cool down

(Full pull kit = pull buoy, paddles, and band)

My shoulders burned after this!

I feel my team has finally got back into the groove of things. We were all over the place in the off season, but now that triathlon season is in full swing, we’re all making it to practice regularly agains and our workouts have become more focused. We’re all getting serious.

Wednesday

AM: CrossFit

JUMPIN’ JAG SNATCH

Warm up: 200 m run; sh mob; 10 jumping jacks/seal jacks/fling jacks, 10 pvc pass thrus, 10 windmills ea, 10 jump squat, 10 str8 legged toe touches, 10 back ext

Skill Focus: Hang Power Snatch

• Burgner Warm up (1-4) and build to working weight

WOD:

• 5 rds: 3 min on, 1 min off
  • 3 hang power snatch 115-135#/75-95#
  • 5 bicycle sit ups (ea side)
  • 7 box jumps 24”/20” (step down)

Finisher: alt hollow rocks and back ext until 100 total reps

This was a long WOD. By the way, isn’t it funny when a 30+minute WOD is considered long? The endurance athlete inside of me is laughing at that statement. I managed 12 rounds of the WOD with the #45.

Thursday

Rest

Thanks to Tropical Storm Andrea, I traded my Friday rest day for Thursday. It felt odd to take a rest day in the middle of the week. I felt anxious, like I had to keep moving for some reason.

Friday

AM: 5 Mile Run

Since I track was cancelled on Thursday, I was on my own for speed work on Friday. I turned to my plan and did the recommended Fartleks. I had 6 rounds of 90 second pick-ups with 2 minutes of rest. I haven’t done fartleks in a while, I’m not sure what I missed more – actually doing them or just saying the word “fartlek” 😉

PM: 2700 yd Swim

• 200 warm up
  • 400
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:15
  • 400
  • 8 x 50 @ 1:10
  • 400
  • 16 X 20 @ :30
  • 100 cool down

I headed straight to the pool after work and couldn’t believe how busy it was on a Friday night at 5:00pm. There are some dedicated athletes out there! Since the pool was only open until 6, I didn’t have time to procrastinate. I met my friend Courtney and we got straight to work. It’s amazing how fast 2700 yds go by when you’re not stopping to chat after every set. I swam right until they were literally kicking me out of the pool.

Saturday

40 mile Bike Ride

20130608_111345.jpg

My long bike ride for the week was done semi with my group of friends and semi on my own. I really enjoyed the change of scenery, it just sucks driving 1+ hours to ride for 2.5 hours. My whole day was basically dedicated to riding.

Sunday

6 mile Run

My legs were tired after yesterday’s long bike ride and I could feel that on the run. I guess that’s something I’m just going to have to get used to. If I think my legs were tired today, just wait until I have to run 26.2 miles after riding 112! Holy crap i still have a long way to go until then.

This week’s stats:

• Total miles: 76
  • Total time: 9 hrs 25 mins
  • Total workouts: 9

Next week should be interesting. I’ll be traveling for work and will be just outside Chicago Thursday – Monday. I’m going to try to fit a long bike ride in Wednesday after work, then bring my running shoes and swim gear to Chicago and hope for the best. This is just the first of many weekends I’ll be away during training, I’m just going to have to make it work the best I can.

1 Erin @ Loop Looks June 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

If you need suggestions on where to bike/ride while you’re in Lake Zurich, let me know. I can put you in touch with some people. But I bet your coworkers already know some good spots or you can just do the tri course!
Erin @ Loop Looks recently posted..Best Outfit of May

2 Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries June 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Girl, I hear ya on the hunger! I did IM florida a few years ago, and I cannot believe how much I ate. I used to get this bread from Costco that was 150 calories per slice…and I normally 6 slices per day! Ridiculous. Didn’t gain any weight….but didn’t lose any either. But it sure was fun!
Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries recently posted..Current obsessions

3 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 9, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I hope one day I can do this too!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..Snickerdoodle Johnnycakes

4 Megan June 9, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Please make sure you eat properly! I know you “know” this but make sure you do it or you will literally burn out! I honestly wouldn’t think twice about eating as much as I wanted while training for an IM!

5 Emily:2:design:cents June 10, 2013 at 1:00 am

Props to you! Crazy workouts:)
Emily:2:design:cents recently posted..STYLE DO’S AND DON’TS

6 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 10, 2013 at 6:36 am

Wow what another great week of workouts! I’m not surprised your hungry!

7 laura June 10, 2013 at 7:52 am

shoot girl, your workouts are inspiring! that’s awesome. if you eat even double what you posted in your “day of the life” or what not post–there’s no reason you’re starving!! you ate ONE chicken sausage and some green beans… that’s ridiculous if you’re even inactive, much less your workout schedule! You really need to up your carbs and protein! I know you know all of this, but I’d be more than happy to recommend an eating regime for someone that’s burning as many calories as you are. there are easy ways to sneak in calories without adding more food, if you’re worried about being too full! Good luck!

8 MissPinkKate June 10, 2013 at 10:15 am

+1! You gotta eat, girlfriend!

9 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

Again, just reading this makes me tired! You are truly inspiring! But I thought you were quitting Crossfit while training? Did I just imagine that?
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Hello, Summer, thanks for the humidity.

10 Meghann June 10, 2013 at 8:55 am

I’ve cut back to once a week during training. We’ll see how it goes with that.

11 Laura June 10, 2013 at 8:50 am

How long do you rest between sets?

12 Meghann June 10, 2013 at 8:54 am

Which sets are you referring to?

13 Laura June 10, 2013 at 1:43 pm

That would have been helpful to say which sets! 🙂 The swimming sets. I want to start doing swim workouts but wasn’t sure how long to rest between each set. Thanks!

14 Meghann June 10, 2013 at 1:51 pm

When it says 4 x100 @ 2:15, that’s the interval for each set. So if you finish your interval on 2:00 then you have 15 seconds of rest, if you finish at 1:55 you have 20 seconds of rest. I was averaging 1:55ish per 100 so I had about 20 seconds of rest. Between each of those sets, I would rest about 1 minute. So 400 straight, rest a minute, 4×100, rest a minute, etc. Does that make sense?

15 Laura June 10, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Yes, thank you!

16 Courtney June 10, 2013 at 10:30 am

I love these posts. By chance do you know of any other bloggers that post about tri or IM training?

17 meghan @ little girl in the big world June 11, 2013 at 9:55 am

Hey Courtney! Page at 26 and then some is getting ready for Couer d’Alene and has been posting, and Michele at NYC Running Mama is doing Lake Placid and posts weekly updates.
meghan @ little girl in the big world recently posted..My favorite monthly treat

18 joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 10, 2013 at 11:21 am

I can only imagine how hungry you are! I just started half training and I’m already ready to eat round the clock, and that’s one long run a WEEK haha.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Scenes From the Weekend

19 Katie @ running4cupcakes June 10, 2013 at 11:44 am

I have never done a tri but I notice that my hunger levels go up while I am marathon training so I can only imagine what you are going thru. Good luck keeping up with training while traveling – I know that can be super tough, but as long as you plan for it, you will get it done!!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 6/9/13

20 Beth June 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Can I just say that I’m totally thrilled you are doing a full before I do? This REALLY helps those of us who haven’t gone down this path yet. So, thanks for taking the lead. 🙂

Oh, and I’m always hungry. Lol! I can’t even imagine how hungry I’ll be come full IM time. Look out cows on the side of the road!
Beth recently posted..Dunedin Triathlon Race Report. Sorta.

21 Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian June 10, 2013 at 6:22 pm

There are a few excellent places to ride and run in the area. Poplar Creek in Hoffman Estates has a great trail, and Busse Woods in Schaumburg is a great 7.7 mile loop. Places to swim are harder to come by. There’s a new LA Fitness in Hoffman Estates with a nice pool. For OWS, there’s a “beach” in Naperville called Centennial Park that’s a giant pool and cold enough for a wetsuit.
Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian recently posted..Ragnar Relay Race Recap

22 Amy K June 11, 2013 at 9:44 am

There are plenty of places to run, swim, and bike in the Chicago-land area! Let me know if you need any recommendations (I’m a lifer) and/or someone to introduce you or join you for any of these excursions! 🙂

23 Meghann June 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Thanks, Amy! My time will be VERY limited, so I’ll probably just stick with what I can do around the hotel and hope for the best.

24 meghan @ little girl in the big world June 11, 2013 at 9:56 am

Where did y’all go to ride? I’ve been riding at Suncoast but know eventually I’m going to want to ride on roads too…

25 Meghann June 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Alafia. I think it’s North? I wasn’t driving, so I have no idea.