more ยป" />

A Good Ride

by Meghann on June 8, 2013

40 miles. Done. ๐Ÿ™‚

In preparation for this morning’s ride, I was in bed by 9:30 last night. Well, that, or I’m just a really old person who can’t stay up past 9:30 on a Friday night. Eh. What can you do.

We made plans to meet at 10ish, which meant sleeping in on a Saturday (woo hoo) and no rush to get out the door as soon as you wake up (double woo hoo). Unfortunately Maddie missed the sleeping-in memo and had me up at 6:30. How do you train a dog to know the difference between a Saturday and a weekday?!

Maddie actually did me a favor, since I was up earlier I was able to get a load of laundry done, charge my Garmin, make pancakes for breakfast, and catch-up on the DVR. Yep. I’m a morning person.

The pancakes were extra delicious. I made my favorite greek yogurt pancake recipe with peanut butter and berries.

63ad0752947c11e283e322000aa8200d_7.jpg

The crew met up at 10, then carpooled to a spot about 20 minutes away from town. We headed out to the country, where there are plenty of quiet roads to take advantage of on the bike.

933924_10100343663816825_1083251903_n.jpg

However, being in the middle of nowhere also meant there were no random gas stations to stop for water or fuel along the way, so we had to keep it all on us. Felipe required 3 water bottles and at least 800 calories on all riders. I had two bottles full of water, one full of gatorade, a Clif bar, gummy worms, Go-Go Squeeze Applesauce and a gel. Let’s just say I had a lot of junk in my trunk.

20130608_111323.jpg

We put wings on my bike so I could hold two extra water bottles, but one wouldn’t stay in. It actually wasn’t bad riding with one in my jersey, those pockets can hold a lot!

I love my training buddies to pieces, but I knew there was no way I was ever going to be able to keep up with them for the entire ride. I was planning on being dropped from the beginning and I was fine with it. I’m trying to get faster on the bike and part of being faster is riding with people who are faster than you (which they are. times 10).

20130608_111345.jpg

I kept up with the group for the first 10 miles. I rode Stephanie’s draft and worked on staying 6in from her tire (instead of two feet away). Riding in a line still scares the crap out of me and I always chicken out when I get that close to the tire in front of me. How do people do it? Gah.

They lost me on a downhill. I could have kept going at their pace and my legs would have been done at mile 20, or I could have switched to my pace and made it the full 40. I chose the full 40. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Knowing they were still ahead of me encouraged me to keep up my pace. I didn’t stop to enjoy the scenery, I didn’t stop for breaks, I just kept riding. I thought I was going to hate being on my own out there, but the truth is I really enjoyed it. It was a beautiful day for a ride and the miles flew by.

I’ve been having problems with my right shoe clip. Right when get into the groove, my shoe suddenly pops out of the pedal out. Turns out the clip on the shoe has worn off on the front. Looks like I’ll be heading to the bike shop tomorrow to get that fixed. At least they’re not terrible expensive to replace.

I made it to mile 20 and turned around to head back. The rest of the group were going to 25, but I figured I would cut back a little early and we would end up at the car at the same time (I ended up being about 10 minutes earlier than them). It started raining during the last few miles on the bike, which actually led to a nice cool down.

20130608_134542.jpg

Total Distance: 40.42 miles

Time: 2:27:10

At the end I had gone through all my water bottles and made a good dent in my nutrition. I’m trying to get better at nutrition on the bike and today was a good test run. I traded off drinking out of the gatorade filled bottle and the water filled bottle and ate my Clif Bar in 1/4s. I really liked the applesauce. I was sent some reusable pouches that I plan to experiment with to bulk up the applesauce for future rides. Also, the gummy worms were a fun treat.

After our ride we stopped at a gas station and I finally got the donut I missed out on yesterday.

20130608_142022.jpg

Or, you know, munchkins. Munchkins > Donuts.

20130608_142033.jpg

Leftover pizza greeted me when I came home.

My long bike ride for the week is done. My long run is on deck for tomorrow. Gotta love Ironman training weekends.

1 Frances June 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I’m a morning person too, but only if I get to sleep in a little!

2 Frances June 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I’m a morning person too, but only if I get to sleep in a little! Good job on the bike ride! I can’t imagine 40 miles on a bike, but then again I haven’t been on a bike in years ๐Ÿ™‚

3 char eats greens June 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Nice work!! I love the snacks you had for the ride!! I think I woulda chose the 40 miles too!
char eats greens recently posted..sporadic saturday

4 Megan (The Lyons' Share) June 8, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Way to go, Meghann! Super inspiring … makes me want to start tri training again! (I’ve done a half Ironman duathlon and a few shorter tris, but a full Ironman scares the you-know-what out of me … in a good way!)

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 8, 2013 at 7:41 pm

As I was on a long walk this afternoon there were some guys who biked by and they were about 6 inches from each other. It made ME nervous FOR them! I don’t think I could do it either…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

6 Presh June 8, 2013 at 8:04 pm

You seem to be doing so awesome in your training!
I love how you are training with faster riders bc I do believe
it will help increase your speed! Good luck on your run and mmmm munckins!
Presh recently posted..Fresh, fabulous, and fierce. Nobody better mess with me now.

7 Jen June 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm

So jealous! We don’t have Dunkin Donuts in California. Don’t worry about the early bed time. I go to bed between 9 and 10 every night. I get so used to it that by 10:00 on the weekends I’m down for the count! Sleep is healthy!
Jen recently posted..Five Things Friday

8 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane June 8, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Your clip popping out can lead to a pretty beat up bruised leg! I wake up by 7am even on weekends, in fact 7 feels like sleeping in!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Weekend Thoughts: BAMR Bands, long run, music, etc.

9 Amanda June 9, 2013 at 10:56 am

Those are some seriously handy pockets!

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 9, 2013 at 11:16 am

Even on weekends I am up before 7am. I just can’t sleep in! Great job on the training!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..I want a stud and less heat

11 Kayla @ Fit Life Forward June 9, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Way to stick it out and complete such a fantastic ride! 40 miles seems so far!
Kayla @ Fit Life Forward recently posted..Helvetia Half Marathon Review

12 Jeanette June 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I’m jealous; you got more accomplished in a few hours than I’ve done in a day ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m sooo not a morning person.

13 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose June 9, 2013 at 2:20 pm

1. Love the new layout! Gorg pic on the side! =)
2. I think I want to purchase and wear that bike jersey everywhere I go. That way water & snacks are in my pocket! How clever.
3. If you got “dropped” how do you know which way to go??
4. I bike with my hubs and he is trying to convince me to get clip-ins for my shoes. However, I am terrified of falling! (Slight clutz over here). Have you ever fallen?
5. Have a great rest of your weekend =)

14 Meghann June 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

3. It was an out and back route, so I just turned around when I hit mile 20 and retraced my steps. I’d also been on the route before and sort of knew my way around.
4. I’ve fallen plenty of times in my clip-ins! I think you have to have one good fall to get the fear out. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 9, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Great job crossing off the long bike ride!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Gluten Free Coconut Banana Bread Recipe

16 Lynn June 9, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Where or where is that polka dot bike jersey fom?! LOVE it! Nice work on the long ride ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Meghann June 9, 2013 at 9:09 pm

It’s Lululemon

18 Katie @ Live Half Full June 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm

What brand is your jersey? I love it! I’m just getting into cycling more and it’s a great excuse to buy more gear. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Meal Plan 6/9-6/15

19 Emily N June 10, 2013 at 11:32 am

Great work getting your long ride in! (and those donut holes look amazing!
Emily N recently posted..Catching up on my List & a Workout Dilemna!

20 Mary June 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Some other suggestions for nutrition on long bike rides – I use a bento box on the bike and cut peanut butter and honey sandwiches on sandwich thins into triangles which are easy to pull out and eat while moving one piece at a time. Sports beans poured out of the package are also easy to pull out one at a time. I also wear a Camelback for extra water which is very easy to drink out of in motion. I found a water bottle that has a gel container in it – one notch up is gel and two is water so no need to open packages. Happy training!

21 Krystal @ Arapahoe Ave June 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I can get so much done in the morning! I like to take afternoon naps though because of it ๐Ÿ˜‰

22 Mary June 12, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Your breakfasts always look amazing!
Mary recently posted..Wedding-healthy