Bye, Bye Andrea

by Meghann on June 7, 2013

Happy Friday!!

So we had a fun day yesterday…

Screen shot 2013-06-06 at 8.08.06 PM.png

Man, Andrea came out of nowhere. I first heard about the storm on Wednesday night, then Thursday there was no escaping her. We got some rain, a lot of wind, flooding, and a couple of tornado warnings. As far as tropical storms go, Andrea wasn’t a terrible one, but still worth watching. We got lucky compared to what other parts of the country are dealing with right now. REALLY lucky.

What worries me is that hurricane season officially started on June 1st and we’ve already had a named storm make landfall. eekk. not good. Hopefully this isn’t a bad omen for the rest of the season, otherwise it’s going to be a long rainy summer!

I got an unplanned rest day out of Andrea (I just switched my Friday rest day for Thursday) and the opportunity to work from home (three cheers for that!). All signs are good that today will be back to normal. I’m going to try and squeeze my swim in after work and already got my track work on before work this morning.

What I’ve been eating

Yeah, so I’ve pretty much given up being creative in the kitchen lately. There was some twice-baked sweet potato action (that involved black beans and everything!) last week, but otherwise I’ve been relying on other people’s recipes (and Pinterest) for meals.

On the other hand, meal planning has been going great. I started the habit a couple of weeks ago (see here) and it’s just made my life so much easier. Every Sunday I find what recipes I want to make for the week, make a grocery list, and buy what we need. I don’t assign dates to the meals, but it’s nice knowing there’s an A, B, or C option ready to be made when the time comes. I’ll generally plan 4 meals and fill in the rest with leftovers or other food from the fridge.

Here’s what we had on deck this week:

Sunday night:

• Bean and cheese enchiladas
  • Steamed broccoli

Monday Night:

The soup was good! We had enough leftovers to each have some soup for lunch the next day for lunch (which I paired with a leftover enchilada). I think next time I would add more bacon though. You can never have enough bacon. πŸ˜‰

Tuesday Night:

Derek made the cucumber and chickpea salad while I was driving home from swim practice. It was an easy recipe to follow and the final product was so refreshing after a hard workout at the pool. I had the leftovers for lunch the next day and plan to make it again over the weekend so I’ll have more leftovers for lunches next week. It’s a great summer dish.

Wednesday Night:

More leftovers! The burger wasn’t as flavorful as I was hoping. I went light on the jalapeno, afraid it was going to be super spicy, but it wasn’t – should have added more. The good news is the leftovers were enjoyed on Thursday and will be enjoyed again today for lunch.

Thursday Night:

• Grilled roast beef and horseradish cheddar sandwich w/ sauteed onions and mushrooms
  • Steamed carrots

Derek’s out of town, so I kept Thursday night easy. There’s nothing wrong with a really good sandwich for dinner. Nothing at all. πŸ™‚

Friday Night:

• OUT!

I’m going to pick something up on the way home from swim practice. I think I earned a night off from cooking for the week.

Now what should I get for takeout tonight? Pizza? Thai? Sushi? So many choices!

1 Corinne June 7, 2013 at 8:36 am

Meghann, I love reading your blog. I have been a reader for about a year. I like how you maintain your healthy lifestyle with your food choices and stay active as well. Thanks for your blog. I wish you were writing more as it seems the frequency of your blog posts is less. This is likely due to your fulltime job, however I do miss your more frequent posts.

2 Emily N June 7, 2013 at 9:04 am

Whenever J is out of town I do an easy dinner like that. He has been traveling a lot lately, so I have had a lot of grilled cheese on the menu (and I love it!)
Emily N recently posted..A Running Post from this (Non)Runner

3 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 7, 2013 at 9:08 am

I love thai! it is my go to “I don’t want to cook” meal. I have been much better about planning my meals but still need to do some tweaking. Might steal some of these dishes though…they sound great!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

4 Chelsea June 7, 2013 at 9:36 am

You can never predict a hurricane season based on how early it starts, unfortunately. After all, I’m a native Miamian whose life was thrown in to a tailspin by Andrew… which didn’t make landfall in Florida until almost the end of August. So. Best of luck to Florida (and us all!) this season.

5 Courtney June 7, 2013 at 9:38 am

I tend to go with pizza, Japanese or Tex Mex when I don’t fix a meal. Yum! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Get Yo’ Run Right

6 beka June 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

Since Mike isn’t a sushi lover and I am, I usually opt for that when I have a night to myself πŸ™‚
beka recently posted..#GoalGetter2013 May/June Goals Recap

7 Emily June 7, 2013 at 9:59 am

I feel the same way about Andrea! It really seemed to come out of nowhere! I’m glad she’s gone too!

8 Ashley June 7, 2013 at 10:03 am

Definitely go for Thai food!

I live far away from hurricane land but even we got hit with some out of nowhere storms yesterday. When I checked the weather in the morning before I left for work (I ride my bike) there was a 0% chance of rain until 7p and by noon it was POURING! Crazy day.
Ashley recently posted..Friday Favorites

9 Katie @ running4cupcakes June 7, 2013 at 10:20 am

Fridays is our usual day to get take-out too. After meal planning and cooking stuff all week, by Friday, I am ready to be done! We are getting pizza tonight. .. still debating from where! It is actually our 5 year anniversary today. We are going out for a nice dinner tomorrow night, but tonight, beer, pizza, TV time and some cookie cake for dessert!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..5!

10 Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 7, 2013 at 10:42 am

I love meal planning- it makes the week so much easier when you don’t have to stand in front of the fridge, trying to be creative when you just want to eat everything in sight immediately!

I say Thai food! But I can never get enough so I’m definitely biased.
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..My first authentic Canadian Food Memory

11 laura June 7, 2013 at 10:57 am

I’m glad you’re safe from Andrea. She’s hitting us pretty hard here, but just lots of rain. Hopefully you’re right–not an omen of what’s to come. Made me nervous that the “A” name made it ashore.

Are you no longer going to be taking pictures of your food? I really liked the meal planning part of your blog (since I don’t do triathlons–just run) but it has seemed to take a major hit since your new job and training. That’s fine if that’s your choice, but your posts lately leave little to be desired. I feel like this has taken a backseat to whatever else you have going on, which is fine, but I just wanted to express that I miss the meal planning! Even if you use another’s recipe, you could still take pictures and include that of your process and what your final product looks like πŸ™‚ I love that you are still trying to cook, and trust me, we all need more 10-15 minute recipes!

Thanks, and keep up the hard work! I think we’d all like to see more of what specifically you do at work, too!

12 Emily:2:design:cents June 7, 2013 at 11:34 am

YIkes, Florida weather can be scary. Get Mexican take out!
Emily:2:design:cents recently posted..STYLE DO’S AND DON’TS

13 Caitlin June 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm

This is exactly what I do- sit down and plan the week’s meals. We usually eat them in the order of what veggies are going to turn first and need to be eaten. I also always cook for 4 and we eat the same thing 2 nights in a row- I LOVE my lack of dishes on left over night!!

14 Laura June 7, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Looks like you had a pretty healthy week of eating. I am trying to stick with that also. Today is the first day I have gone running in 4 weeks! Wow. Amazing how much time flies by when you are stressed and busy at work! Check out my giveaway, Meghann. I am giving away a $25 gift card to The Home Depot!
Laura recently posted..High 5 4 Friday

15 Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 7, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Deciding what to get for take out is always SO hard haha. I’d gravitate towards Thai or sushi. Mmm. Might have to do the same tonight. And seriously impressive eats this week with how busy you are! Maybe I should try meal planning….
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Gluten Free Coconut Banana Bread Recipe

16 Sarah June 7, 2013 at 10:48 pm

do you have any suggestions for having to pack both lunch and dinner? i barely have time to even cook food anymore. πŸ™ *sigh* life of a cast member at disney..
Sarah recently posted..Cady Way Trail

17 Kristen June 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

Yum! I am stealing some of your meal planning recipes! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

18 Andrea June 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Andrea did come out of nowhere! The night before, my friend commented that she was running in the rain “thanks to pre-tropical storm Andrea”. I thought she was being sarcastic since I told her that she had to run and it didn’t matter if it was raining (and my name is Andrea). Then I turned on the news the next morning and found out I had a storm name!
Andrea recently posted..Weekly Recap- June 3-9, 2013