Class of 2003

by Meghann on June 3, 2013

Derek and I attended my ten-year high school reunion on Saturday.

There were two parts: a picnic at the local park where kids were welcomed and a casual gathering at the local bar that was adults only.

I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect for either. There are friends from high school that I’ve casually kept in touch with over the years (or stalked via Facebook), but I’m probably the worst person in the world when it comes to keeping in touch with anyone that doesn’t live in the same city as me. The. Worst. For most people in my graduating class, it had been 10 years since I’d seen them, and others I hadn’t seen since college or random weddings here and there.

Still, when we pulled up to the park for the first time, it felt like nothing had changed. In fact, everyone really looked the same, too. We were just older – and in some instances slightly larger/smaller – versions of our high school selves.

I felt out of place not having a kid with me, they were everywhere. I sat at a table with friends I knew better from college than high school (one of them was even my roommate in college) and we joked that we were the kids-free table since it felt like we were the only ones in the reunion who didn’t have munchkins at our sides. Though we all did have dogs, which we all gushed about as if they were our kids. Maybe we should have called our table the crazy dog couple table?

Not only did everyone have kids, but we were all married, too. Some high school classmates had married each other (I think I’ve counted 10 couples that were in our graduating class and are now married), while others brought in new faces and we all tried to figure out which one was a classmate and which one was a married-in spouse. (A friend’s husband who was not part of our graduating class had a 10-minute conversation with someone who was in our class and thought he had graduated with us.)

There weren’t a lot of classmates that came to the picnic. Maybe 30? And it surprised me that none of the “popular” kids were there. I guess they all decided to stay home. There are still one or two former classmates that intimidated me back then and, 10 years later, they still intimidate me today. I guess some of those old high school insecurities never go away, no matter how many times we tell ourselves we’ve moved on from them.

I still had a great time at the picnic reminiscing. Old photos were brought out and we all joked about our horrible fashion choices and cursed the world before hair straighteners came along. The old school newspaper was passed around and we all realized how terribly off we were about where we predicted we would be in ten years.

935474_10103115038345033_958870855_n.jpg

Umm… yeah. About that full length feature film I’m working on…. Oh, and definitely NOT pregnant. At least I got the happily married part right.

We had a small memorial for classmates who are no longer with us.

It was the first time I’d been in a group of people who also knew Amber since she passed this year. It was hard to hold my emotions in. I believe we all got choked up talking about Amber and the great times we had together in high school. She really was the girl who was everybody’s friend. Such a hugh ball of energy and personality, she’s dearly missed.

The picnic ended around 3:00, with plans of meeting at the local bar later in the evening. I have to tell you, I think I liked the bar setting for the reunion a little more. The alcohol helped remove some of the awkwardness from earlier in the day and conversations just flowed. Though, that’s not always a good thing. Just a heads up, if someone at your future class reunion gains a bunch of weight in college and then loses it, don’t tell that person, “You blew up in college. Don’t get me wrong, you look great now, but you definitely blew up for a few years there.” Asshole.

It was at the bar that I talked to people that I really didn’t talk to in high school. That’s where I felt like a lot of the barriers were removed. We also had a few more people in attendance that weren’t at the park earlier in the day. It was all really casual and fun.

Ten years later and everyone seems like they’re in a really good place. I can’t wait to see where we’ll all be in another ten years!

Did you attend your ten year reunion?

1 Jenny June 3, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I’m still about 3 years away from my ten year, but I still can’t believe how much time has passed since high school. It doesn’t really seem that long ago! I have a feeling I will go through similar experience that you did regarding everyone having kids and starting families…I will most likely be on the outside of that circle (happily, haha).

Sounds like it was a really good time (except for the asshole comment, ugh) and a really positive experience overall. Gives me hope that my own reunion might be worth going to πŸ™‚
Jenny recently posted..On My Fitness Philosophy

2 Annette @FitnessPerks June 3, 2013 at 4:05 pm

What a fun day/evening!

I graduated in 03′ but don’t live where I went to HS, so I won’t be going to the reunion. It probably would’ve been okay, but I didn’t necessarily love HS per say. So I’m cool with not going!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Weekend Highlights + Unplugging Rocks!

3 Rachel June 3, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Omg who on earth said that to you? Please do tell!!

4 Rachel June 3, 2013 at 4:19 pm

For the record, you did not blow up. 20lbs or whatever it was is not a blow up.

5 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 3, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I giggled at “crazy dog couple table” πŸ™‚
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..No Bake Chocolate PB Cookie Bites

6 [email protected] June 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I also had my reunion last weekend. It was great to see all the people together. I knew what is happening in their lives thanks to facebook, but I really had fun talking and joking to them after a while. And yes, I think that many inseccurities are gone by time. I am older, wiser and can estimate what really matters
[email protected] recently posted..Running Bonner Nachtlauf

7 Amanda June 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Ah alcohol always good for removing that brain to mouth filter. What an asshole, how is that any kind of compliment? I opted to not go to my reunion this year. I have too many things going on (like planning a wedding).

8 Becky @ Olives n Wine June 3, 2013 at 5:01 pm

My 10-year reunion will be this year! I am not sure if my class will actually have one but if they do I probably won’t go. Just like you, I am AWFUL at keeping in touch with others, especially if they aren’t a short drive away from me. Maybe I’ll make my 25 year reunion πŸ˜‰
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Muesli Fusion Banana-Chocolate Truffles

9 Megan June 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm

My 10 year is in October! I’m nervous/excited about going – mostly like you, to see who shows up that I DID talk to and wasn’t intimidated by. I really don’t talk to anyone from high school still – but my class had about 580 people in it (much bigger than yours, from the looks of it!).

I’m kind of looking forward to it though, to see where people are now and what they’re doing (not that Facebook can’t tell me). Great photos!
Megan recently posted..#RWRunStreak: Week 1

10 mary @ minutes per mile June 3, 2013 at 5:34 pm

what an interesting recap! i’ve been to my five-year reunion and am waiting for ten. sheesh. also, that dude is an asshole! ha.
mary @ minutes per mile recently posted..non-dreadful

11 Erin @ Loop Looks June 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I went to my 10 year, but I got WAY too drunk the night before with just my close friends from high school that I was still hung over the next night! It made for a quiet evening. Also, I noticed that the people I was friends with in high school were still the only people I wanted to talk to anyway.
Erin @ Loop Looks recently posted..Spring Neutrals for Summer

12 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 3, 2013 at 6:13 pm

You couldn’t pay me to go to my high school reunion. No I didn’t go. I hated high school and the people I want to see I have kept in contact with everyone else I’m pretty happy not to see again πŸ™‚
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Marvelous in my Mondays #11

13 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm

This year is my 20 year reunion! Eek!!
Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing recently posted..Whole30 Round 2 – Day 2

14 Angie June 4, 2013 at 8:13 am

I’m in the same boat! My 20 year is the end of this month. I’m going and this is the first one I’ll be attending. Sadly my best friend won’t be there, but I’m hoping for a good time anyway.
Angie recently posted..Sunny Monday

15 Emily @ Relishments June 3, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Glad to see your reunion was great! I just RSVP’d to mine for August and though I’m on okay terms with people, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was a little nervous. Hope mine goes as well as yours!
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Highlights: Random

16 Amanda @ Peanut Butter and Adrenaline June 3, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I’m interested to see if my class will have a 10-year reunion just because of Facebook and everything. It’s been five years since I graduated.
Amanda @ Peanut Butter and Adrenaline recently posted..2013 Stroll for Strong Kids 5k Race Recap

17 jen June 3, 2013 at 7:37 pm

noooope. wouldn’t have gone if you paid me.

18 Heather June 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm

My reunion is going to be right after Christmas bc they figured more people would be in town then. I am sure I will go!

19 joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Someone said that to you?! EW. SO rude.

Love your dress- super cute!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Merrell Down and Dirty Race

20 Mrs. Swan June 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm

My twenty year is in two years and I want to try and go. I had to miss the ten year as I was 9 months pregnant living two hours away.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Calorie free therapy

21 Melissa @TryingtoHeal June 4, 2013 at 12:24 am

My 10 year reunion is later this year…i’m slightly terrified to go!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..In the Southland

22 Nikky June 4, 2013 at 2:31 am

This year would have been my 15th year from graduating high school in 1998. I’m married and no kids. Our class met at a bar for the 10 year. I didn’t go. This year? Nothing. No reunion at all. I guess it’s because Facebook is like a high school reunion everyday.
Nikky recently posted..Run for time or pleasure?

23 Floey June 4, 2013 at 4:17 am

My 10 years is later this year as well. I honestly don’t think I’m going. The actually still keep in touch with a handful of my good friends from HS and see them on a regular basis. Just not into the whole trying to hang out with everyone else again. Too awk!
I’m neither engaged/married/pregnant btw haha

24 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner June 4, 2013 at 6:16 am

My ten year reunion is next year, but I have no plans of going. The same is true for my five year: since I already hang out with the people I liked in high school, I don’t feel there is a need for me to go.

It looks like you had a fun time, though! And I love your dress.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Kindred Spirits

25 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 4, 2013 at 7:06 am

I decided not to go to my ten year reunion. I graduated with well over 1,000 people. A huge class, I know. I felt like not enough time has passed because I see everyone on facebook and I’d rather wait until my 20 year.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Banana Bread & Another Amazing Shopping Trip!!…

26 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 4, 2013 at 8:28 am

Ew. Who says that?! I have no interest in going to my 10 year reunion next year. I went to a big school and keep in touch with the people I was close to so don’t really want to deal with the small talk with old classmates. But I am glad you had a good time!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Eggplant and Mushroom Baked Ziti and a country themed playlist

27 Courtney June 4, 2013 at 9:23 am

What a mean person to make that weight comment. You’re beautiful, girl. My ten year reunion won’t be until 2017… Most likely, I will not be attending. High school wasn’t super fun for me, haha. Who knows, though; I may have a change of heart. πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Blueberries, Blueberries, Everywhere!

28 Beth June 4, 2013 at 9:38 am

I stay as far away from high school reunions as possible. Lol! Good for you on having fun and eff whoever said that “blew up” comment. People are morons.
Beth recently posted..Underwater iPod Review

29 Ashley June 4, 2013 at 9:55 am

My 10 year reunion is next month and I feel like my class is going a little over the top- they are hosting a 3 day weekend extravaganza where the main event is a ball- it’s like Prom 2.0! My graduating class was really big but I was regularly surrounded by the same 30-50 people so I feel like I wouldn’t even know the majority of people. I imagine the open bar will get the conversation flowing though, haha. I won’t be able to make it but my old high school group of friends (many of whom I’m still regularly in touch with) are trying to set up an alternative reunion as we haven’t actually seen each other in years!
Ashley recently posted..72 Hours

30 Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

My 10 year reunion will be next year (graduating class of 2004) but I likely won’t go. I would’ve been interested to go and see where everyone is these days, but I’ll likely be in Europe at that time, and considering I currently live in Canada, it would be quite a commute to go see some old friends.

I also am terrible at keeping in contact with people that I don’t live in the same city- and since I moved right after high school, I don’t really know what happened to anyone- besides what Facebook tells me. Which is all marriage and babies!
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..Grilled aplum and chicken salad

31 Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries June 4, 2013 at 10:27 am

I LOVED my 10-year reunion. I had a unique high school where everyone just sort of got along…and that was true even now. I talked to almost everyone who was there, and had a great time. It didn’t hurt that Ive lost weight, now wear make-up and have cut my hair and know how to style it, and instead of introducing my kids/husband I got to say I was working on my PhD. Plus I found out that there was one other guy in our class working on PhD, and he was living in Pittsburgh (same as me!). So I ended up hanging out with him and meeting some great people over the next two years…he hates facebook so I never would have gotten back in touch with him. I know Im a lucky one!

32 Natalie @ Free Range Human June 4, 2013 at 11:18 am

I went to my ten year last year, and although it was fun to see everybody, it was definitely awkward. I’m more than happy that there won’t be another for ten more years!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Summer Lovin’

33 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin June 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

It’s funny what you said about people still intimidating you that did back in high school. I totally think that at my high school reunion it will be the same way for me with certain people! Maybe that just never goes away!

34 Emily:2:design:cents June 4, 2013 at 12:47 pm

My reuniion got canceled due to lack of people attending. If I was in town I may have went, but I didn’t feel the need to fly out for it.
Emily:2:design:cents recently posted..ONE $20 TOP: 3 WAYS

35 Emily @The Good Era June 4, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Glad you enjoyed yourself! I still have a few more years until mine, but my husband is already looking forward to his next year. He always teases me that he can’t wait to show off his “trophy wife” haha

P.S. Catching up in the blog world….LOVE the new design!!!
Emily @The Good Era recently posted..Burnt Out

36 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions June 4, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I’ve got about five years until my 10 year reunion, and goodness knows where I’ll be at that point in my life, so I have no clue if I’ll attend or not. It’ll be interesting to see what things are like in 10 years. I graduated with a pretty small class (112), so it’s relatively easy to keep up with people’s goings on through Facebook. But who knows what the state of social media will be in five years!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Chicago Marathon Base Building

37 Anne Weber-Falk June 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I did not attend the ten year or the thirty year (!) and I don’t know if there was a 20 year. I heard it was mostly a drinking party. Not my thing. I did not miss much I’m sure. I lurk about on FB and hear things from people I run into. That’s enough for me. I’m a different person now and I like that.

38 Brigid June 4, 2013 at 5:29 pm

My 10 would have been last year, but it got cancelled due to lack of interest. I wasn’t planning to attend, since I had moved 1,500 miles away less than a year before. And I also didn’t care to. I went to a rough, inner-city school. I can think of at least a half dozen dead classmates, and most of the rest are still getting their lives on track. I’d consider going to a 20-year reunion, since I think that would give people a chance to be in better places in their lives.

And seriously, if someone had said that to me, I would have gone off. Weight is something you can lose, but I guess “rude asshole” is a gift that keeps on giving.

39 Mike June 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I attended my 5 year reunion (doesn’t seem like there are many of those compared to the 10 year ones), and it was pretty fun. At the 5 year, most people are just fresh out of college (or 5 just 5 years out of hs if they didn’t go to college…lol), and not many really have kids or have done anything “big” with their lives yet. I couldn’t attend my 10 year unfortunately since I moved out of state, but I imagine a lot changed since the 5 year. Reunions really are a lot of fun and interesting to see how far (or how low) people have come since the glory days of high school. Takes me back! πŸ™‚

40 Becky @ runfundone June 5, 2013 at 1:48 am

I wasn’t able to go to my 10-year-reunion. My high school also had a 5-year-reunion which I couldn’t make it to either, BUT I dated a guy from high school more than 5 years after we graduated, and he went to the 5 year reunion and the MEANEST girl from my high school spoke to him and told him that she had been scared to go to the reunion because she had been so mean in high school! She apologized to him for being such a b**** in high school! Yay! There is good in the world!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Brown Water

41 Lisa June 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

I graduated in ’03 as well! They are holding some big event in Santa Monica, CA in August and I think a lot of people are actually going. I will not be able to attend since I’m currently living in the Caribbean and most importantly, I’ll be delivering my son that very week! πŸ™‚

But even if those reasons weren’t valid, I don’t think I would have gone. I’ve seen most of my friends throughout the years since everyone still lives in the same area. And I didn’t have a very large circle of friends. I don’t see the point until maybe my 20th!
Lisa recently posted..Pregnancy: 31 weeks!

42 Molly @ RDexposed June 5, 2013 at 8:32 am

Your class looks smaller than mine! We graduated with just under 200 students.
Glad your reunion went overall well! It could easily bring on anxiety! ha
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..Kind Day

43 Jamie at Sometimes Healthy Living Blog June 5, 2013 at 9:46 am

Yes I did attend my 10 year reunion! It was 2 years ago (time flies!!), and I 100% agree that the alcohol was an extremely important factor in easing up the awkwardness.

I was pleasantly surprised with how many people showed up. My best friend organized it and was super stressed by the lack of response on Facebook. However, come the night of the reunion, and we had so any attendees, we had to get more beer :-). I really enjoyed my time there, and though I was nervous before, it was great to reconnect with old friends. I even had a couple of people talk to me about my blog and tell me how they proud they were to see me succeeding. It was definitely a feel-good night πŸ™‚
Jamie at Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Gettin’ Snacky

44 Erin June 5, 2013 at 10:53 pm

That looks like a ton of fun! Unfortunately Bayside class of 2002 couldn’t get it together for our reunion. So :wah, wah: LOL I was looking forward to seeing where everyone is now, since so many of my graduating class joined the military.

45 Kristin June 7, 2013 at 11:05 am

Our ten year reunion is this weekend — I’m so excited about it!
Kristin recently posted..POST RACE: NIKE WOMEN HALF MARATHON