more ยป" />

Ironman Training: Week 2

by Meghann on June 2, 2013

Week 2 is done!

It’s funny, everyone keeps asking how Ironman training is going and right now I find it hard to answer. I’m only 2 weeks in! I’m still in the “building” phase. Ask me when I’m 10 weeks in and I’ll have a better answer for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Monday

Rest

I played hooky from training and spent the day at the beach for Memorial Day. We did get a nice walk in while we were there, does that count?

P5278893.JPG

Tuesday

AM: 60 minute Bike Trainer Intervals

This week’s bike trainer session focused on single leg drills.

AM: 15 minute run with Maddie

PM: Swim

Psych! We were rained out of practice. Those Florida afternoon thunderstorms are really going to kill my training schedule!

Wednesday

AM: CrossFit

Warm up: 500 m row; wrist/sh mobility; 10 pvc pass thrus, 10 windmills ea direction; 2 x 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 20 squats

Skill Focus: OHS

Warm up on ohs, decide on a starting weight, ready bar and plates

WOD:

• 7 min to find your 3 rm ohs
  • Rest 4 min
  • 1000 m row
  • 50 thrusters 45#
  • 30 pull ups
  • For time 12 min time cap

This was the my first WOD where I didn’t make the time cut-off. I blame the 1000 m (!) row.

We’ve recently been banned from running around the parking lot of the complex our box is in. The owner of the complex is worried about injuries and asked that we stop. Luckily, our box owner has already been looking for another location to relocate too. Unfortunately until we move there will be a lot more rows in our future. Boo.

Thursday

AM: Track

• Warm up
  • 2000 x 1
  • 1600 x 1
  • 1200 x 1
  • Cool down

This was a LONG track workout. There should have been an 800 in there, but I ran out of time.

PM: Swim with Jess

• 400 (arrived early to get some extra yards in)
  • 300 “warm-up” with Jess
  • 3 x 50 kick
  • 2 x 200 full pull kit w/ 30 secs rest
  • 100 kick
  • 4 x 100 full pull kit w/ 20 secs rest
  • 100 kick
  • 6 x 50 full pull kit w/ 20 secs rest
  • 100 kick
  • 150 cool down (trying to do 250 for even 2500, but a major foot cramp caused me to stop 100 early)

Felt GREAT in the water. I’m definitely getting my confidence back in the water.

20130530_192047.jpg

Friday

AM: Bike Trainer

Rode for 50ish minutes while watching an episode of Call The Midwife on Netflix (so far I love the show). I also tested out a pair of bluetooth headphones so I can listen to my iPad a little better while on the bike. They worked like a charm!

AM: Feel Longer, Walk Taller class via Fitness Glo

This was an online 10 minute stretch class. My muscles need this class every day.

Saturday

AM: Long bike ride with siblings

20130601_095151.jpg

Had a windy bike ride on River Road and covered about 28 miles in an 1:45. We tried to push the pace a little and did a loop with a big hill. I still wasn’t going as fast as I would like, but I’m feeling better pushing myself.

20130601_082857.jpg

Sunday

AM: 6 mile run

Ugh. Not a good run. Woke up hung over and had to delay my run an hour and half. By the time I started the sun was out and it was HOT.

Totals:

Miles: 73

Time: 7:49

Workouts: 9

1 Mrs. Swan June 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I’m tired just reading this. I’m taking a nap now- Good night! ๐Ÿ™‚
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Calorie free therapy

2 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 2, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I really love reading your trainings. You are so disciplined but still balanced. Very realistic and inspiring!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Rowing: How To

3 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles June 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I’m glad the rain didn’t prevent your training schedule too much this week. You might need make some plan B changes when it rain, rain, rains all weekend! I’m already starting to get tired of it!
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..When a Woman Becomes Her Own Best Friend Life is Easier

4 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose June 2, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Love these! To think you do all those workouts on top of a full time job is awesome! I shoot for 30 mins a day of run/spin/weights/whatev but it doesn’t always happen. Go girl! ๐Ÿ™‚
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..Chicago 2013

5 Presh June 2, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Good work!!! And yes these afternoon florida showers will ruin a lot of my planned workouts smh! Good luck with your training!! You’re excused from Monday lol ๐Ÿ™‚
Presh recently posted..No eating after 8:30 will be hard.

6 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Another great week of workouts! I agree with one of the other comments I also feel tired just looking at it all but also inspired too ๐Ÿ™‚
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..June Goals & If I Stay Book Review

7 Erin June 2, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I’m always interested in your IM training posts as my boyfriend is currently training for IMFL too and it’s intriguing to see how different people approach preparing for endurance events. That speed workout sounds like something that should be done later in training – maybe focus more on tempo runs or strides for speed workouts until you build your endurance? Anyway, good luck.

8 Laura June 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I am using the same plan u are and just finished week 16!!! Great training plan I think. Had a 4:50 ride followed by 4 mile run in 88 degrees of humidity Saturday!!!

9 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy June 3, 2013 at 9:16 am

I want to do an Iron man! I don’t know how to swim “correctly” though… I’m a nose holder. One day though!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..My BIG NEW Project! Join! Join!

10 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane June 3, 2013 at 10:09 am

Wow, so much training. I don’t even want to know what the middle of training looks like!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Yosemite Recap, Part 1?

11 Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 3, 2013 at 10:26 am

I cant believe this is just the base. Training for an Ironman is truly an inspiring thing. You are doing great!! How long is the training program for? 12 weeks?
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..My weekend in pictures

12 Emily:2:design:cents June 3, 2013 at 1:08 pm

You go girl…I think I had a grand total of 4 workouts this week compared to your 9. Haha:)
Emily:2:design:cents recently posted..TREND ALERT: STRIPED EYEWEAR

13 Dylan June 4, 2013 at 4:10 am

Thanks for sharing your training! I’ll be volunteering this year at IMFL. So excited!

14 Jesica @rUnladylike June 7, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I really enjoy reading your weekly training recaps. They are making me excited to start my official half Ironman training plan this month. You are going to rock it! xo
Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted..Run Happy Makeover Giveaway