Day in a Life: May 30, 2013

by Meghann on May 30, 2013

I’ve had requests for more “Day In the Life” posts, so I’m going to try to do one once-a-month or so.

5:25am: First alarm goes off and gets lost in my dream. The noise is so faint I wonder if it’s really going off.

5:30am: No time to wait for the second alarm this morning. I get out of bed, throw a robe on, and take Maddie for her morning walk.

5:40am: Put on running clothes and lace up my running shoes. Decide today’s a headband and pigtail kind of day.

5:45am: Slather a BelVita biscuit with almond butter. A friend recently restocked my pantry with Trader Joe’s Almond Butter with Sea Salt – my FAVORITE.

5:50am: Curl up on couch and close my eyes for 10 minutes. I’m running early for once (Ha!) thanks to all the prep work I did with packing my breakfast, lunch, and clothes the night before.

5:55am: Maddie starts ringing her potty bells. She was JUST outside, but apparently has to go again. I take her out and she relieves herself (again).

6:00am: Load up the car and drive across town. My training group recently started Thursday morning track workouts. We meet at coach’s house and run to the track from there.

6:20am: Arrive at coach’s house.

6:25am: The group starts the mile+ jog to the track. This morning’s workout consist of a 2000m, 1600m, 1200m, and 800m set with one minute rest in between. Our goal is to gain speed with each set. The longer track sets get the best of me and I miss the goal of gaining speed. Instead I slow down and don’t have a time for the final 800. Sigh.

7:30am: Group arrives back at house. I take a quick shower in the guest bathroom and get dressed for the day.

7:50am: Thank my hosts for the workout and shower. Sneak off to Jet City Espresso for a little treat. Order a Café Borgia (double shot!) and power scone. Tell Jess (the owner) I miss her and need to stop in more often.

20130530_080807.jpg

8:05am: Thank goodness I have my Café Borgia because traffic is hell. It takes me 20 minutes to go 3 miles on the interstate. Nightmare.

20130530_080800.jpg

8:40am: Arrive at office and finally have breakfast (my tummy was growling!). I packed a yogurt and strawberries the night before and paired it with the power scone from Jet City. A delicious – and filling! – breakfast.

20130530_085947.jpg

Work

Meeting

Work

12:30pm: Lunch time!

20130530_122340.jpg

I packed veggies, hummus, crackers, pretzel pieces, and lunch meat the night before. Sadly it’s becoming the new normal to eat lunch at my desk.

Work

Work

4:00pm: Try the new Clif bar.

20130530_161641.jpg

Half now, half when I leave the office and head to swim practice. It’s pretty good, very peanut buttery.

20130530_161713.jpg

Work

Work

5:30pm: Pack up and head to swim practice. Stop at Starbucks for tall iced coffee.

6:15pm: Jump in pool early and get some extra yards in before team arrives.

6:30pm: Jess arrives, we’re the only team members at practice. Start the workout coach gave us.

• 300 “warm-up” with Jess
  • 3 x 50 kick
  • 2 x 200 full pull kit w/ 30 secs rest
  • 100 kick
  • 4 x 100 full pull kit w/ 20 secs rest
  • 100 kick
  • 6 x 50 full pull kit w/ 20 secs rest
  • 100 kick
  • 150 cool down
  • Total: 2000 yds + 400 extra yards

Was trying to hit an even 2500, but my foot was cramping really bad during the cool down. Jess thinks my foot was cramping because my calf was tight from this morning’s track workout. I NEED to get better at stretching, especially on two-a-days!

20130530_192047.jpg

7:30pm: Call hubby on the way home and ask him to start dinner.

8:00pm: Arrive home to a plate of chicken sausage and steamed green beans (thanks, hubby!)

20130530_200344.jpg

8:05pm: Split a second chicken sausage with Maddie.

8:30pm: Fresh mango for dessert.

20130530_201230.jpg

8:40pm: Write blog post

9:00pm: Play with new toy.

ipads.jpg

His and her iPads! (I got the mini 🙂 )

10:00pm: I’m predicting I’ll be passed out. 😉

Good Night!

1 Sarah May 30, 2013 at 9:34 pm

florida traffic is crazy! it took me half an hour to go 3 miles the other day! by the way, you mentioned a training group in orlando that meets on sundays at 7 am one time.. do you have their contact info/where they meet? 🙂
Sarah recently posted..Welcome to the Seas!

2 Angela May 30, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I really enjoy these posts! I can’t believe your day, it’s so busy!! I would be so exhausted before noon!
Angela recently posted..Love Does

3 Eric May 30, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Only a little bit more than 22 weeks to go. Keep it up. Let me know when you guys plan to go to Lucky’s Lake swim.

4 Meghann May 31, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I’m hoping to squeeze one to two Lucky Lake swims in this training season!

5 Michele May 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I was out the door for a run at 6 this morning…I really wish I could get out earlier!
Michele recently posted..Catching Up

6 Zaneta May 30, 2013 at 10:02 pm

lol… it’s always fun to read “a day in the life” posts on everyone’s blogs! 🙂 Great looking food! 🙂

7 Sarah May 30, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I really like these posts too! A couple of questions:
1. do you wear makeup to work? i don’t know how you get ready so FAST in the morning!
2. it doesn’t seem like you are eating all that much considering the fact that you probably worked out at least 2 hours today? any thoughts?

Thanks!

8 Sarah May 31, 2013 at 1:05 pm

thinking the same thing about food!!! how do you subside on so little?!

9 Meghann May 31, 2013 at 6:10 pm

It’s not really that little. The photos don’t do the size of the portions justice. Like the giant scone that was full of oats, walnuts, flaxseed, and apricots. That plus the greek yogurt kept me really full.

10 Meghann May 31, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I don’t wear make-up to work. I’ve tried a few times to pick up the habit, but it just never stuck. And with the food, there’s more than what you see in the photos. It’s hard to tell portion sizes, etc. Like the size of the scone or my lunch spread, which took up half my desk.

11 Mary Ann June 1, 2013 at 10:12 am

your lunch spread is mostly veggies and a couple slices of cheese and crackers. For dinner you had a little chicken sausage and green beans. Yes, you had a scone, but you also did a double work out. I just would expect someone with that level of exercise to eat a lot more. I wouldn’t be able to properly train with that little amount of food.

12 Ashley May 30, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I always like “day in the life” posts. Next time you do one, would it be possible for you to elaborate “work”. I know it might seem like mundane stuff to you, but I always have a hard time envisioning what it’s like to work in an office (I am a high school teacher).

13 maria @ mim May 30, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I love these kinds of posts. I think I’ll do one next week!

Two a days are rough… good job rocking this one!
maria @ mim recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Handstand and Fast 5K

14 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose May 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I’ll have to try that coffee place out! And I love the Sierra trail mix bar!
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..Chicago 2013

15 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen May 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm

It’s fun to read a day in the life post! How do you get ready for work so fast!?!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..Cauliflower Crust Pizza

16 Meghann May 31, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I let my hair try naturally and I don’t wear make-up. I’m not saying I look awesome when I go to work, but it’s easier than wasting the extra minutes on those things. 🙂

17 marie May 30, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I swam in highschool plus swim now for exercise and the cramping in my feet comes ffrom not enough water…too much caffeine. .which it kind of sounds like was your issue…try just chugging water on the days you’ll have longer swim practices

18 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 30, 2013 at 11:43 pm

What a great day! Your lunch looked delicious, sorry you had to eat it at your desk though!

I’m thinking of getting an ipad mini so I look forward to hearing how you like it.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Friday Favourites #13

19 Elisabeth May 30, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Love the new toys! I want to get the Mini…but I already have the iPad 3 & am trying to justify it to myself 😉

20 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life May 31, 2013 at 6:50 am

I love these posts! Seems like you have an extremely busy day!

21 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 31, 2013 at 7:40 am

Love the new layout! It looks great! And definitely a busy day, lunch at my desk is something I’m all too familiar with!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..My New Routine

22 Rhoda @3cheaprunners.com May 31, 2013 at 7:49 am

Wow, you have a very busy life! Good for you for fitting it all in and staying commited!
Can’t wait to find and try that new Clif bar.

23 Max Fowler May 31, 2013 at 8:29 am

Love it. Thanks for sharing this, all the way through I was wondering what time you went to bed after getting up at like 5am. I think I need to up my game after reading this 🙂

24 Molly @ RDexposed May 31, 2013 at 8:29 am

Reading these types of posts makes me realize how slow I am in the morning. It takes me nearly an hour just to make and eat breakfast and then 20 minutes just to blow dry my hair.

25 Lori May 31, 2013 at 9:42 am

Usually when you get foot cramps in the pool, it means that you’re dehydrated. Just thought I’d mention it in case that was the issue.

26 ct cupcake May 31, 2013 at 10:21 am

The foot cramps are usually from dehydration, trying consuming some gatorade after your 1st workout. This doesn’t seem like enough food either for someone doing 2 workouts a day. When I’m training for a marathon, I need a bit more carbs in my diet.
ct cupcake recently posted..5 on Friday Happies

27 Sarah @ Yogi in Action May 31, 2013 at 10:30 am

I love day in the life posts! Clearly everyone does though, since they’re being requested. That is a very active day- I’m impressed that you can work all day and still do two-a-day workouts. YOu’ll rock your Ironman!

Have fun with your new ipad mini. I have an ipad and LOVE it!
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..How I stayed healthy while on my trip

28 Emily:2:design:cents May 31, 2013 at 11:07 am

Cute post! These are fun to read:)
Emily:2:design:cents recently posted..STYLE 2 CENTS: VERSITILE DRESS

29 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Whew, what a day. At least you sleep well at night from having such a jam-packed day. 😛
Courtney recently posted..Friday. Finally.

30 Jamie at Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 31, 2013 at 4:29 pm

You are one busy gal! So impressed with your workouts 🙂
Jamie at Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Kitchen Adventures in Whipped Cream

31 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I’ve been looking everywhere for that new Clif bar, but I haven’t found it yet. I’m a huge fan of most of their flavors, and anything peanut buttery is a winner in my book!

32 Allison May 31, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Who walks Maddie when you are gone all day?

33 Annette @FitnessPerks May 31, 2013 at 6:27 pm

That is quite the day!! This is such a fun post to read–so thanks for writing it out even though you were tired 😉
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Currently Survey {May}

34 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats May 31, 2013 at 8:14 pm

The next time I am making excuses about being too busy I will remind myself of this post. Busy girl!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

35 joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 2, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I really enjoy these posts too!

That is super nice that your coach lets you guys shower at his house! And what exactly is a power scone?
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..SoCal

36 Courtney June 3, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I loved this post!

37 Caitlin June 6, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I grew up swimming and I’m wanting to get back into it now that’s it summer and I’m not always wanting to get up at the crack of dawn to run before it’s sweltering. I’m trying to collect work outs to do, instead of just swimming laps, and I was wondering what you mean when you say “full pull kit”? THANKS!!