Ironman Training: Week 1

by Meghann on May 26, 2013

Man, talk about a wake-up call. First week of Ironman training and I’m already wiped. My legs hurt, my shoulders are tired, and I feel like I could sleep for days on end. Oh, yes. It hurts, but I love it! It feels good to be training again!

Phase 1 of my 24-week training plan is the adaptation phase. It’s all about re-building a base and slowly working up the intensity. Unfortunately, it just happened to work out that week one was also the same week I returned from an intense work trip. No rest for the weary, right?

Monday

AM: Technique Swim 2,000 yards

20130522_194221.jpg

Warm-Up:

• 200 freestyle
  • 100 kick
  • 200 freestyle
  • 100 kick

Main-set:

• 100 kicking on stomach w/ arms at side
  • 5 x 50 25 kick on left side, 25 kick on right side
  • 5 x 50 S2S kicking drill (switching sides every 6-9 kicks)
  • 5 x 50 25 kick on left side, 25 kick on right side
  • 5 x 50 catch up stroke

Cool Down

• 200 freestyle
  • 100 easy choice

I was able to hit the pool before work, but unfortunately did not allot enough time for the full 3,000 yds the workout originally called for. The kicks on the side were slow moving and I knew within the first set that I wasn’t going to have enough time. I shortened it appropriately (what you see above) and just did what I could. It was my first solo swim without my team in a while and it was calming having the pool to myself.

Tuesday

AM: 70 minute Turbo Bike

It’s amazing how much better the bike trainer is when you have a set workout to go by on it. Derek and I had watched The Office finale the night before (LOVED the way they ended the show) and I had the urge to watch the first couple of episodes of the series on Neflix the next morning. I put the show on, hopped on the trainer, and was good to go.

AM: 15 minute run

After my cool down on the bike, I switched my cycling shoes out for running shoes and took Maddie for a short 15 minute run around the neighborhood.

Wednesday

AM: CrossFit

S. P. R. I. N. T!!!!!!!!

Warm up: 400 m run; hip/hammie mob; 2x: 8 (4 ea) 1 arm db swings, 5 inchworm push ups, 8 alt lunges, 8 split jumps

WOD:

6 x 100 m sprints (rest 2 min btwn)

EMOM for 20 min

• Odd—15 burpees
  • Even—15 swings 53#/35#

Probably the toughest WOD I’ve ever done. You realize just how short a minute is when you have to do 15 burpees in it. That’s one burpee for every 4 seconds, or 150 burpees total if you were to do all the rounds in the 20 minute EMOM. I did not. I managed to complete the first few in the beginning, then couldn’t get all 15 burpees in if I tried. There was a point where I felt like I had to puke and needed to rest a couple of rounds. It was brutal.

In other news, I spoke with my CrossFit coach and have decided to continue with CrossFit during training, but I’ve dropped to the once-a-week plan. Since my Ironman plan suggests doing weights once-a-week anyway, I figured I might as well stick with it through CrossFit. That way I still get my weekly CrossFit fix and don’t feel pressured to go three times a week like I was. It’s also a reduced rate, so I’m saving money too. Win-win!

PM: 2,500 yd Swim

• 200 Cool Down

Thursday

AM: Track 4.8ish miles

• 1.2 mile jog to track
  • 7 x 400s w/ 200 jogs in between
  • 1 mile jog back

I met the group for an early morning track run. It had been ages since I’d been on the track and I could feel it. I forgot how to pace myself and ended up walking a lot of my 200 “jogs” instead of, well, jogging them. I hope this turns into a weekly thing because doing track work by yourself frankly blows. It was nice to have some encouraging buddies out there (even if they were lapping me!).

Friday

30 mile bike ride

My long bike ride for the week.

04871aeec4a411e2996722000a9f18fe_7.jpg

2 mile run

Followed the bike ride with a run. My legs were done at this point. Ugh. It was also hot. That’s what I get for starting at 11.

Also, totally forgot sunscreen.

20130524_202107.jpg

Learned that lesson the hard way. Went out and bought a brand new bottle of sport sunscreen for my cycling bag that night. Will NOT be making that mistake again!

Saturday

Rest

My body was craving a rest day and Maddie was craving a beach day.

164904_10103089508621803_1914596885_n.jpg

Sunday

6.2 mile run

Nice easy long run to finish the week.

Weekly Totals: (will be fun to see these number rise the deeper I get into training!)

• 9 workouts
  • 62 miles
  • 8 hrs 7 mins

How was your training last week? Get any good runs/ rides/ swims in?

1 Kayla @ Fit Life Forward May 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm

So inspiring seeing you fit it all in. You are making me feel the fire start to burn for some serious training!
Kayla @ Fit Life Forward recently posted..Our New Dining Room: Vintage Chairs

2 Emily @ The Swallow Flies May 26, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I am SO impressed by this workout plan! Even though I workout fairly intensely six days a week (and sometimes twice a day), your workouts make me feel super inadequate! I can’t wait to follow you through this process!
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Bargain Buys

3 Sybil May 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Amazing job on your training. Glad to hear you’re planning on keeping up with your crossfit workouts, I love reading about them!
Sybil recently posted..Long Run Sunday, with a Special Guest!

4 Victoria (District Chocoholic) May 26, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Hang in there – once you get into a rhythm with your workout schedule, it’ll be like you’re on autopilot.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cocova January Sample Day

5 PeachyLau May 26, 2013 at 6:35 pm

wow, very inspiring to see that with a little organisation, it is possible to fit it all. You go girl.
PeachyLau recently posted..Roller disco, core work and how to recycle your We Own the Night T-shirt.

6 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 26, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Wow what an impressive training week well done! Good that you can keep up your crossfit too as I know that was something that you didn’t love about doing your ironman training.

I follow a set 12 week exercise program by the Jillian Michaels of Australia – Michelle Bridges – and I did all the set workouts plus some extra cardio and pilates and felt really good. 🙂
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..My 3rd visit to the naturopath

7 Haley May 26, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Geez girl! That wore me out just reading what you’ve done…& I think I’ve only gotten in about 4 hours of intentional exercise this past week, although my job requires me to be active in general. Best wishes to you as you continue training!

8 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner May 26, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I am so excited to follow your IM training! You are awesome! I’m totally motivated by your workouts and it’s actually getting me excited to start training for my first sprint tri!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..weekly workouts: summertime

9 Ashley May 26, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Nice! So excited for you to do this!

Yup = 40mi running, 2 strength training sessions and 2 hot yoga classes for a total of 10 hours, 18minutes of workouts. And this is only my base building session too! Can’t wait to get into the meat of training, right? I hope we can find time for this! 🙂
Ashley recently posted..Three Things Thursday

10 Annette @FitnessPerks May 26, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Dang girl!! That is so awesome!

I love that you’re including weights/ CF still. Go you!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Favorites

11 Robin May 27, 2013 at 7:42 am

You get used to the exhaustion. I LOVED seeing the hours rise each week. Yesterday I hit 16 hours for the week including a 100 mile bike ride, I was so proud yet so tired. Nice job this week!
Robin recently posted..Where Do Triathletes Live?

12 Elizabeth @ Positive Changes May 27, 2013 at 8:37 am

Such an great workout week! Feels so good when you have a whole week of great workouts! This week I had a great trail run and some great biking!
Elizabeth @ Positive Changes recently posted..Happy Memorial Day!

13 Caroline May 27, 2013 at 9:05 am

Wow, I was exhausted just reading it! I’ve signed up for my first triathlon this year and I’m starting to train for it this week.

I would be interested to know how all the training affects your appetite? Are you hungrier? Do you eat more when you’re exercising like this? You seem to eat intuitively so this all interests me!

Good luck! I’m looking forward to reading about all the hard work.

14 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

Great first week of training! Week 1 already sounds completely nuts to a non-triathlete like me, crazy! Also good news that you were able to lessen the CrossFit to once a week, sticking with that 3 days a week anddd training for an Ironman? Impossible. Unless of course it was literally your full-time job. Which for most of us, it’s not!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Barely Above Water

15 Megan May 27, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Impressive week jumping back in there! Looking forward to following along as your training gets more and more intense. Cheers to Week 1!
Megan recently posted..Runner’s World Run Streak

16 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen May 27, 2013 at 6:01 pm

you are so inspiring!!!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen recently posted..Lightened Bay Breeze

17 Mary May 27, 2013 at 7:54 pm

So proud of you, girl! keep up the hard work, dedication and your stamina will come! You’ll rock that race in the fall! 🙂

18 Katie May 29, 2013 at 10:20 am

Way to go!!! I am so excited to read about your training!
Katie recently posted..3 Week until Grandma’s Marathon